ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#261 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:44 pm

Reeko wrote:Gradey is a pretty selfless player, if you throw him out there with a bunch of me first, low level players, he's not going to shine. It's too early in his development for him to succeed as an individual when he's playing with a bunch of scrubs. We saw this when he was playing in the G league and people swore up and down that if he couldn't be good there then he was bound to be a bust. No, this stretch of games does not mean that his ceiling is that of a role player.

yup, jumping to conclusions early led to many wrong conclusions. He just turned 20 years old. It's still way too early to conclude what type of player he will be when he's 23,24,25 years old. He has a pretty vast skillset, he has good size and a lot of smarts, which can take you pretty far.

The problem is, he's compared to a lot of guys who came into the NBA at 22,23 years old. If he had stayed in school, he'd be playing his soph season in the tournament right now, like many of the prospects we're talking about in the draft thread.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#262 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:48 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Reeko wrote:Gradey is a pretty selfless player, if you throw him out there with a bunch of me first, low level players, he's not going to shine. It's too early in his development for him to succeed as an individual when he's playing with a bunch of scrubs. We saw this when he was playing in the G league and people swore up and down that if he couldn't be good there then he was bound to be a bust. No, this stretch of games does not mean that his ceiling is that of a role player.

yup, jumping to conclusions early led to many wrong conclusions. He just turned 20 years old. It's still way too early to conclude what type of player he will be when he's 23,24,25 years old. He has a pretty vast skillset, he has good size and a lot of smarts, which can take you pretty far.

The problem is, he's compared to a lot of guys who came into the NBA at 22,23 years old. If he had stayed in school, he'd be playing his soph season in the tournament right now, like many of the prospects we're talking about right now in the draft thread.

And while he carries the label of a white shooter and all that implies, he’s actually pretty athletic. He isn’t high end of NBA scale, but he’s no stiff.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,700

Post#263 » by binjumper » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:54 pm

He makes the right defense moves. You see flashes of it, but once he gets stronger I feel like he can improve easily.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#264 » by Duffman100 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:37 am

https://youtu.be/mSB4x9UUHns?si=fJ_fptr-gJpvVPPC

Turnovers were rough but to be expected with a 20 year old trying to create.

Really great slashing game. Had a few layups just roll off. Great game.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,855

Post#265 » by nikster » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Duffman100 wrote:https://youtu.be/mSB4x9UUHns?si=fJ_fptr-gJpvVPPC

Turnovers were rough but to be expected with a 20 year old trying to create.

Really great slashing game. Had a few layups just roll off. Great game.

I was at this game, he looked really good overall. Was impressed with the finishes at the rim he did make, and even his few misses there were good takes.

Really needs to tighten up his handle, feel like some skill work and strength this off season will make a big difference. I really like his game
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#266 » by brownbobcat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:38 pm

Let's be honest, too - he's not going to shine now because he isn't good enough. Yet.

I like that he's staying aggressive and pushing the limits of what he can do in the league. Taking the extra dribble, trying to finish in traffic - yeah, it's going to be ugly sometimes, but hopefully it means he's been working hard in practice and trying it game speed. Strength and conditioning will be huge. He could be like GTJ but with better driving (as a reasonable outcome, not ceiling or floor)
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,336

Post#267 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:58 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

Let's be honest, too - he's not going to shine now because he isn't good enough. Yet.

I like that he's staying aggressive and pushing the limits of what he can do in the league. Taking the extra dribble, trying to finish in traffic - yeah, it's going to be ugly sometimes, but hopefully it means he's been working hard in practice and trying it game speed. Strength and conditioning will be huge. He could be like GTJ but with better driving (as a reasonable outcome, not ceiling or floor)

He’s going to be miles better than GTJ. Far better shooter with a great IQ for the game.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#268 » by brownbobcat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:28 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

He’s going to be miles better than GTJ. Far better shooter with a great IQ for the game.

I certainly hope so but everyone has potential until they don't. GTJ was a 20-year-old prospect once upon a time too. Incredibly disappointing this year but still a proven rotation player in this league
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#269 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:39 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:Let's be honest, too - he's not going to shine now because he isn't good enough. Yet.

I certainly hope so but everyone has potential until they don't. GTJ was a 20-year-old prospect once upon a time too. Incredibly the pointing this year but still a proven rotation player in this league

Dick has already shown the ability to do things Gary has never shown he can do.

There is a reason Gary went second round and Dick went lottery.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#270 » by brownbobcat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:51 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Dick has already shown the ability to do things Gary has never shown he can do.

And there are things Gary can do that Gradey can't - even though the latter might have more upside now. Don't know why people get so hung up on draft slot long after the fact, he wouldn't be picked in the second round in a redraft so what difference does it make?

I don't even like Gary as a player I think he's a MLE guy, tops, but even those guys don't grow on trees
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#271 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:58 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:Dick has already shown the ability to do things Gary has never shown he can do.

And there are things Gary can do that Gradey can't - even though the latter might have more upside now. Don't know why people get so hung up on draft slot long after the fact, he wouldn't be picked in the second round in a redraft so what difference does it make?

Like what?

Shooting is a toss up imo

Gary is a better 1 on 1 scorer, but he takes very difficult, often ill-advised shots…still better though

In this situation, draft slot matter because you said everyone has potential until they don’t. Gary never had the same potential Dick has hence the draft positioning.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,883

Post#272 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:05 pm

Who would you rather have moving forward - Gradey Dick or Franz Wagner?
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#273 » by Duffman100 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:17 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Who would you rather have moving forward - Gradey Dick or Franz Wagner?

Wagner for sure.
WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#274 » by WigginsNation » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:18 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Who would you rather have moving forward - Gradey Dick or Franz Wagner?

For me it’s Franz Wagner because he’s already proven and shown what he could do
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#275 » by brownbobcat » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:41 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Like what?

Shooting is a toss up imo

Gary is a better 1 on 1 scorer, but he takes very difficult, often ill-advised shots…still better though

More athletic, stronger frame, not that he uses it much.
Again, I don't even like Gary but he is a bonafide rotation player.

ArthurVandelay wrote:In this situation, draft slot matter because you said everyone has potential until they don’t. Gary never had the same potential Dick has hence the draft positioning.

No, potential is not something that gets locked in at the draft. Lots of teams realize they are totally wrong after just a few months. My point is that Grady seems amazing now because we assume all his flaws will be fixed and his strengths will only get better. Many people thought the same about a 2nd/3rd year Gary as well but the past couple years have been a pretty big setback
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#276 » by PRESTIGE » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Looking at this year’s draft candidates and March Madness, where would Dick be drafted had he entered the draft this year?
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,883

Post#277 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:52 pm

PRESTIGE wrote:Looking at this year’s draft candidates and March Madness, where would Dick be drafted had he entered the draft this year?

I asked this in the draft thread earlier.
I'd have him around 5.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#278 » by Reeko » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:09 pm

Gradey pretty easily. Wagner is better right now, but in 5 years I think Gradey will be the better player.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,062

Post#279 » by HumbleRen » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 pm

Gradey might never be better than this version of Wagner lol.

This is a wild question.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#280 » by dagger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:38 pm

Reeko wrote:

Gradey pretty easily. Wagner is better right now, but in 5 years I think Gradey will be the better player.

Wagner is a small forward shooting 29% from 3. Very nice player, but maybe the question should be whether we would want Wagner or RJ Barrett going forward. Knowing RJ's game and, more importantly, his contract, I'd certainly take him. They are statistically very similar - remarkably so, except for the 3 pt shooting where Barrett is up to 37% now. Yet, with the cap rising since RJ signed his deal, Wagner is still likely to get a bigger contract. As for Gradey, I sense his ceiling is higher than many people think, but we wont get any kind of clarity on how high until the Raptors are a serious team again, and each game has meaning and he is earning whatever minutes he gets.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Raptors