ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,490

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#441 » by YelloC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:05 am

Scase wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment.

Anyway, back to Dick. What I’m seeing from him these days is making me really excited for his future. He’s got shooter’s gravity. Already. And he’s only gonna get better at shooting at this level. The way the ball travels when he releases is poetry. And he’s just a heady player, who plays with a high motor and puts the team before himself. I wasn’t thrilled with the selection at first (I wanted Keyonte George), but I think we made the right choice.

Dick and IQ’s gravity is really gonna open up the floor for our front court. Just gotta tighten up the defensive end. We need a defensive wing/big so we can play a few minutes without both Poeltl and Barnes on the floor.

Can we please come up with a better name :lol: :lol: :lol:

BB QuickDick :wink:
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,601

Post#442 » by HangTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:02 am

Scase wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment.

Anyway, back to Dick. What I’m seeing from him these days is making me really excited for his future. He’s got shooter’s gravity. Already. And he’s only gonna get better at shooting at this level. The way the ball travels when he releases is poetry. And he’s just a heady player, who plays with a high motor and puts the team before himself. I wasn’t thrilled with the selection at first (I wanted Keyonte George), but I think we made the right choice.

Dick and IQ’s gravity is really gonna open up the floor for our front court. Just gotta tighten up the defensive end. We need a defensive wing/big so we can play a few minutes without both Poeltl and Barnes on the floor.

What about just BBQ'D or D'BBQ
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 547

Post#443 » by SpezNc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:35 am

Dalek wrote:
alpngso wrote:So we know how Gradey’s been playing in 2024. So overall, was it a success? Solid B or does he deserve a higher grade?

I'd grade him a "D" for being a high lottery guy. It took him a quarter season to figure out how to get his shot off, and then after being forcefed minutes on a terrible team, he has shot the ball okay, but overall he is a shooter with zero defense and the other hustle stats are poor.

Gradey Dick 8.4 Pts; 2.2 Rebs; 37 3P%; 1.2 Ast -2.2 DBM; -5.4 BPM

Keyonte George and Cason Wallace averaged a similar amount of boards as Dick. Podzeimski averaged 5.7 boards.

I'd say the following guys taken after him outperformed him especially for the guys who play on play-in or playoff teams:

Jaime Jaquez
Brandin Podziemski
Cam Whitmore
GG Jackson

Jordan Hawkins is probably the most comparable to Dick's season but even he fought to get minutes on a playoff team and he earned his level of production.

While beyond that we don't know much about Colby Jones, Kobe Bufkin, Jett Howard, Noah Clowney, Brice Sensabaugh, Julian Strawther because they don't get a ton of NBA chances, but given their talent and positional size, I think they end up being good players who I think will have a bigger impact than Gradey.

After watching the Nuggets last night and seeing Christian Braun dunk on Minny and be a pesky defender, that is my high-end hope for Gradey Dick. Just work on being a tough role player who can shoot which likely takes a couple years to happen. Braun is on a championship team and still gets 20 mins, but he started somewhat similarly to Gradey at age 21.

The evolution of Gradey Dick during the season is impressive. Being able to get out of a super cold stretch is very important. I understand that he is a lottery pick but reality is that pick #12 to pick 16 is in the same tier. You say lottery pick, I could say mid first round.

A quarter of season , 20 games, is insignificant compare the career we hope he could have

Overall his season is a B but Management and himself deserve an “A” for how they were able to turn the tide. It’s important for a shooter to be able to recover from a bad stretch. He prove he can do it.

His attitude and willingness to listen to coach and advice is also very encouraging

A D grade is a very severe evaluation IMO
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,686

Post#444 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:15 pm

If you evaluate over an entire season, Dick's grade would be a lot lower, but since the new year, over the last 3 months or so, he's been one of the better rookies and he's outplayed most of those names listed above. The fact he's trending upwards is the most positive sign.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,947

Post#445 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:36 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:If you evaluate over an entire season, Dick's grade would be a lot lower, but since the new year, over the last 3 months or so, he's been one of the better rookies and he's outplayed most of those names listed above. The fact he's trending upwards is the most positive sign.

Yup, usually I'd say we should take the whole sample size. But the first 2 months were SO bad compared to the rest of his season, I'd rate him on what he's done since.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,188

Post#446 » by HiJiNX » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:07 pm

Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management. Their ability to correctly assess what Gradey needed and offer the structure and support to get results is a great indicator for what this version of the team is capable of. Obviously Gradey’s maturity, resilience, and coachability should be lauded, as well, but I think it’s also important to highlight the staff and management.

And low key, you can see their impact on IQ’s rapidly developing point guard skills, and RJ’s much improved shot selection. I wonder what version of Barnes we are going to get after he follows their program over the offseason. Excited to see it. I have a very good feeling.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,586

Post#447 » by WuTang_OG » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:18 pm

One thing I also noticed is his ability to pick up things at a rapid level

listening, learning and executing is a rookie's job (not many can do) and he clearly performed all 3

struggled first few games in SL .. slowly got better and finished well
same thing in pre-season
regular season .. he was on another planet to start .. but kept with it and grew into a totally different player by end of season

Even during his early struggles I said let's see what player he is Jan 2025 , 19/20 yrs old is just so tough in this league
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#448 » by MEDIC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:38 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:If you evaluate over an entire season, Dick's grade would be a lot lower, but since the new year, over the last 3 months or so, he's been one of the better rookies and he's outplayed most of those names listed above. The fact he's trending upwards is the most positive sign.

Yup, usually I'd say we should take the whole sample size. But the first 2 months were SO bad compared to the rest of his season, I'd rate him on what he's done since.

Yeah, I agree with this take.

It's a situation where you say, just forget about what happened at the beginning of the season. It is what it is.

We have a big enough sample size from Jan on to know who he is and what he is capable of.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,227

Post#449 » by niQ » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 pm

Scase wrote:

BBQ Yak Dick :dontknow:
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,300

Post#450 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 pm

Scase wrote:

I'm just looking forward to the next jersey swap.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#451 » by MEDIC » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:44 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management. Their ability to correctly assess what Gradey needed and offer the structure and support to get results is a great indicator for what this version of the team is capable of. Obviously Gradey’s maturity, resilience, and coachability should be lauded, as well, but I think it’s also important to highlight the staff and management..

All I kept thinking when reading the article is "this is the way things should be". These kids need this kind of support. Poor Tmac was left to his own devices. Played video games & was kind of neglected. Could you imagine if he got the support Gradey has gotten? He would have started off much strongee & his experience would have been much better. Instead, he had a head coach that was telling him that he was going to be out of the league soon.. No wonder he left.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,227

Post#452 » by niQ » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:50 pm

Dick has 0 assists in the last 5 games.

I think early in the season we saw flashes of Dick "being more than a shooter" and that got some people hyped. Pump faking into drives, hitting cutters, kicking out, etc. But he also operated way too fast and that sometimes led to a turnover.

Coaching staff probably asked him to slow it down a bit, focus on his strengths first, and overall just let it fly. Looks like it's working.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#453 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:51 pm

MEDIC wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management. Their ability to correctly assess what Gradey needed and offer the structure and support to get results is a great indicator for what this version of the team is capable of. Obviously Gradey’s maturity, resilience, and coachability should be lauded, as well, but I think it’s also important to highlight the staff and management..

All I kept thinking when reading the article is "this is the way things should be". These kids need this kind of support. Poor Tmac was left to his own devices. Played video games & was kind of neglected. Could you imagine if he got the support Gradey has gotten? He would have started off much strongee & his experience would have been much better. Instead, he had a head coach that was telling him that he was going to be out of the league soon.. No wonder he left.

It's crazy how much the NBA has changed in 25 years - it used to be amateur hour. There are downsides to corporate ownership, but one very strong positive is that you do get more professionalism.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,136

Post#454 » by tecumseh18 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:53 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management.

So many whine about the Thad trade (and moving down in the draft to pick the guy (Koloko) we really wanted anyway), forgetting that a major factor was to bring in a mentor for Scottie in his rookie season. Whether that worked or not last season is debatable, but what isn't debatable is that Scottie HAS blossomed the way we all wanted. Who can say whether Thad's presence did or did or did not help in that regard?

And now we can see how hands-on Garrett Temple has been with Gradey. It's undeniable that this organization - starting with Masai - seems to know a thing or two about mentoring young talent. It's what separates us from the Pistons and the Hornets of the league.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,947

Post#455 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:54 pm

niQ wrote:Dick has 0 assists in the last 5 games.

I think early in the season we saw flashes of Dick "being more than a shooter" and that got some people hyped. Pump faking into drives, hitting cutters, kicking out, etc. But he also operated way too fast and that sometimes led to a turnover.

Coaching staff probably asked him to slow it down a bit, focus on his strengths first, and overall just let it fly. Looks like it's working.

Yeah he's shown the ability to pass. But I like making him a bit more focused now and then work on expanding it in the offseason etc.

The good news is (unlike Trent) he's shown that he CAN pass and make nice passes.
Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 255

Post#456 » by Consequence » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:01 pm

Assuming no injury concerns prevent him from being there, I’d like to see him try to expand that passing game at summer league. I don’t think he has quite done enough to skip it this year.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#457 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:10 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management.

So many whine about the Thad trade (and moving down in the draft to pick the guy (Koloko) we really wanted anyway), forgetting that a major factor was to bring in a mentor for Scottie in his rookie season. Whether that worked or not last season is debatable, but what isn't debatable is that Scottie HAS blossomed the way we all wanted. Who can say whether Thad's presence did or did or did not help in that regard?

And now we can see how hands-on Garrett Temple has been with Gradey. It's undeniable that this organization - starting with Masai - seems to know a thing or two about mentoring young talent. It's what separates us from the Pistons and the Hornets of the league.

Culture matters but there's a limit since players, coaches and staff are all transient. Talent matters more. Spurs have been craptacular for 3 seasons and could've been for much longer if they didn't luck into a generational superstar.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,764

Post#458 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:37 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Lost in the Gradey Dick redemption story is the impact of coaching and management. Their ability to correctly assess what Gradey needed and offer the structure and support to get results is a great indicator for what this version of the team is capable of. Obviously Gradey’s maturity, resilience, and coachability should be lauded, as well, but I think it’s also important to highlight the staff and management.

That was the best part of the Grange piece imo. Of course full credit to Gradey for putting in the work and keeping a positive attitude, but Darko pulling the coaches into his office with Gradey, then designing a specific program that Simovic paced him through is exactly what you're talking about.

Really happy that the FO's commitment to player development wasn't just lip service. This applies to on-court decisions too, like forcing reps for things like Scottie P&R early in the season to prioritize improvement in game situations over optimal potential outcomes for winning.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,371

Post#459 » by Scase » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:47 pm

Duffman100 wrote:

I'm not ready to write those off entirely, but I'm definitely impressed by what he's done since. It probably is more indickative of his projection, but sample size is sample size. That said, the massive 180 is a very promising sign.
Props TZ!
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,738

Post#460 » by ConSarnit » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:23 pm

Scase wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

I'm not ready to write those off entirely, but I'm definitely impressed by what he's done since. It probably is more indickative of his projection, but sample size is sample size. That said, the massive 180 is a very promising sign.

We probably should. Dick took 68 fga over the first 3 months of the season. That is 16% of his total attempts on the year. There were 20+ ROOKIES who took > 68 fga in March alone. It was at the point where Dick making just 5 more 3’s over that period was the difference between “all time bust!” and “decent prospect” on this board. In other words, we should have gleaned almost nothing from those first couple of months. It’s a near minuscule sample size.

Return to Toronto Raptors