ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,684

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#401 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:15 pm

Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Since Jan 1st (38 games):

24.7 MIN, 10.5 PPG, 2.7 REB, 1.4 AST, 0.7 STL, .451 FG, .393 3PT, .813 FT, .567 TS

And for the last 20 of those games he’s been playing with some pretty, uh, lacking talent

Honestly, aside from his TS%, even taking his entire season stats into account, it's not looking half bad.

20.6 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 2.2 REB, 1.2 AST, 0.6 SPG, .425 FG, .364 3PT, .872 FT, .545 TS%

If someone said this would be his production at the beginning of the year, I wouldn't be mad with it.

ya, for a 19/20 year old, that's a solid start to a career overall.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,370

Post#402 » by Scase » Mon Apr 8, 2024 9:20 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
And for the last 20 of those games he’s been playing with some pretty, uh, lacking talent

Honestly, aside from his TS%, even taking his entire season stats into account, it's not looking half bad.

20.6 MPG, 8.1 PPG, 2.2 REB, 1.2 AST, 0.6 SPG, .425 FG, .364 3PT, .872 FT, .545 TS%

If someone said this would be his production at the beginning of the year, I wouldn't be mad with it.

Super happy to see his 3pt sit at a respectable level. I hope over the summer he puts on some decent weight and we can run him in the SL, him and Scottie have very good chemistry. Plus if he's out there with IQ that puts some serious 3pt shooting on the floor which should open it up for Scottie/RJ.
Props TZ!
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#403 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:16 pm

Another impressive start last night. 24 points on 9/20 from the field and 6/14 from 3.

Gradey's last 8 starts:

33 MIN, 17 PPG, 44 FG, 37 3PT, 77 FT

I think he's going to make a really big impact next year playing off Barnes, IQ, Barrett.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#404 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:23 pm

Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:Honestly, aside from his TS%, even taking his entire season stats into account, it's not looking half bad.

Super happy to see his 3pt sit at a respectable level. I hope over the summer he puts on some decent weight and we can run him in the SL, him and Scottie have very good chemistry. Plus if he's out there with IQ that puts some serious 3pt shooting on the floor which should open it up for Scottie/RJ.

So unfortunate what happened with Koloko. Obviously his health is most important, but he would be a perfect fit at the 5 once he got consistent from the corner 3 (which he looked like he was going to get to) and figured out how to stop fouling. IQ/Gradey/RJ/Scottie/Koloko - back court defense would suck but front court defense would be damn good and I think the offense could be real good.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,975

Post#405 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:36 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Another impressive start last night. 24 points on 9/20 from the field and 6/14 from 3.

Gradey's last 8 starts:

I think he's going to make a really big impact next year playing off Barnes, IQ, Barrett.

He's started to nail the wing three now. The progression is clear and obvious. It is funny that he has zero assists in his last 5 games and 2 assists over his last 7. They have obviously told him to bomb away and not look to pass for his development right now.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#406 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:43 pm

Zeno wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Another impressive start last night. 24 points on 9/20 from the field and 6/14 from 3.

Gradey's last 8 starts:

He's started to nail the wing three now. The progression is clear and obvious. It is funny that he has zero assists in his last 5 games and 2 assists over his last 7. They have obviously told him to bomb away and not look to pass for his development right now.

And the rosters he's played with recently, they need his scoring. Plus, there's really no one to pass to. When he plays with a full squad, his assists numbers will start to go back up again.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,003

Post#407 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:07 pm

Love what I see from Dick. He's constantly moving and I like that he has a nice floater, very soft touch. He's not just a 3pt shooter. Sky is the limit.

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,581

Post#408 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm

What a terrific turnaround for him
The skill is clearly there. Just needs to continue to grow into his body and get stronger/quicker for next season
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,370

Post#409 » by Scase » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:52 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

So unfortunate what happened with Koloko. Obviously his health is most important, but he would be a perfect fit at the 5 once he got consistent from the corner 3 (which he looked like he was going to get to) and figured out how to stop fouling. IQ/Gradey/RJ/Scottie/Koloko - back court defense would suck but front court defense would be damn good and I think the offense could be real good.

I was never very high on Koloko, but I would absolutely take him over having traded what we did for Jak. I always hoped he could be our C off the bench, bummer what happened.
Props TZ!
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,191

Post#410 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:56 pm

Double digit scoring in 9 of his last 10 games, averaging 15.8 PPG and 40% from 3 during that span.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#411 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:57 pm

OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#412 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:59 pm

When his defender is running to challenge his 3, I love the 2-3 dribble step into an open midrange shot.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#413 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Rajakovic’s office isn’t particularly big — there’s space for a desk and a low circular table with some additional seating around it – but when the floppy-haired 20-year-old ambled in after practice, joining him was a starting lineup’s worth of Raptors staffers. On hand in addition to his head coach were assistant Ivo Simovic, who has been attached to the rookie’s hip since Summer League in Las Vegas; Raptors 905 head coach Eric Khoury; Mery Andrade, a player development coach with both the Raptors and 905; physiotherapist Nikki Garcia; as well as a member of the team’s strength-and-conditioning staff. “He knew there was a meeting, but seeing five or six people in a meeting, it draws your attention,” says Rajakovic. “We were blatantly clear with him, this is where his focus needed to be.” The purpose, in a nutshell, was to layout a 360-degree solution to rescue Dick’s rookie season.

In the bigger picture, it’s worth pointing out that your average rookie doesn’t arrive in the NBA wide-eyed and completely unprepared for scrutiny, even adversity. Dick didn’t have to go to Kansas as the golden child star of his recruiting class and deal with the inherent pressure that came with the choice. And he didn’t have to transfer from his local high school, where he was the focal point of the team, to Sunrise, where suddenly he had to carve out a role among a roster of bigger and more experienced players. He didn’t have to declare for the NBA Draft as a 19-year-old either. As a local star at a big-time program, he made good NIL money. There were no financial pressures, and one NBA executive told me that if Dick had played another year at Kansas there’s a good chance he would have been a top-five pick this summer, which would have meant a richer entry-level contract. He could have been the man for another year with the Jayhawks instead of figuring out how to survive in the NBA, but there are no regrets. “My mom kept reminding me that my dream was to play at Kansas,” Dick says. “But I had to remind her that, yeah, it was my dream to play at Kansas, but my all-time dream was to be in the NBA, and I would never pass it up for anything. [Leaving college] was the best decision I ever made. I love it here.”
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,503

Post#414 » by dagger » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:16 pm

I loved Temple's quote

And on the floor? “I told somebody just the other day: He’s progressed the most as a rookie — easily — on the court, as anyone I’ve seen,” Temple continues. “His game play, his ability to accept coaching and put it into play, the defensive things that he’s able to do now versus what he was able to do to begin his season. On court, he’s been even more impressive than just off-court in my opinion because he progressed so much and you know, I’m really proud of him for that. He’s gonna be a player in this league, no question. He’ll be fine in this league for a long time.”
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,188

Post#415 » by HiJiNX » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:25 pm

Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment.

Anyway, back to Dick. What I’m seeing from him these days is making me really excited for his future. He’s got shooter’s gravity. Already. And he’s only gonna get better at shooting at this level. The way the ball travels when he releases is poetry. And he’s just a heady player, who plays with a high motor and puts the team before himself. I wasn’t thrilled with the selection at first (I wanted Keyonte George), but I think we made the right choice.

Dick and IQ’s gravity is really gonna open up the floor for our front court. Just gotta tighten up the defensive end. We need a defensive wing/big so we can play a few minutes without both Poeltl and Barnes on the floor.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#416 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:30 pm

Poeltl
Barnes
Barrett
Dick
IQ

That's likely the group that starts next season. Offensively, I like the fit. The big issue will be the defense, they will need to add 1-2 impact defenders who can play rotation minutes.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,503

Post#417 » by dagger » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:31 pm

HiJiNX wrote:Loved seeing him get fired up after hitting a big three in the fourth. He’s not scared. That’s what I like about BBQ Dick—they’re all mentally tough. They’re not scared of the moment.

Anyway, back to Dick. What I’m seeing from him these days is making me really excited for his future. He’s got shooter’s gravity. Already. And he’s only gonna get better at shooting at this level. The way the ball travels when he releases is poetry. And he’s just a heady player, who plays with a high motor and puts the team before himself. I wasn’t thrilled with the selection at first (I wanted Keyonte George), but I think we made the right choice.

Dick and IQ’s gravity is really gonna open up the floor for our front court. Just gotta tighten up the defensive end. We need a defensive wing/big so we can play a few minutes without both Poeltl and Barnes on the floor.

Ideally, there would be a good, physically robust PF in the top 10 of this draft, but it's light on just that. Lots of tall but lean big men, but I think we need a bulldog with some skills to complement our drivers and shooters
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#418 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:19 pm

Simovic and Rajakovic are both graduates of the Belgrade Basketball Academy. They teach the nuances of the game the way a grammarian does the proper placement of a semi-colon. Dick’s return from his mid-season reset and re-entry into the Raptors rotation was paved with hours of work with Simovic, learning or re-learning the essentials of footwork, hip angles, and timing. The goal was to make Dick someone Rajakovic could trust in an NBA game. Achieving it meant mastering the roughly 12-foot-by-two-foot strip of hardwood that makes up each corner, just outside the three-point line. Simovic gave Dick a set menu of shots to master, reads to make, and counters to nail down. It’s this work that continues together in high-tempo 20-minute chunks before each game, with the precision of a ballroom dance team tightening up choreography they’ve been building out for months.

impressive stuff , i guarantee not a lot of players get that type of learning from other coaches
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,188

Post#419 » by HiJiNX » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:22 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rajakovic’s office isn’t particularly big — there’s space for a desk and a low circular table with some additional seating around it – but when the floppy-haired 20-year-old ambled in after practice, joining him was a starting lineup’s worth of Raptors staffers. On hand in addition to his head coach were assistant Ivo Simovic, who has been attached to the rookie’s hip since Summer League in Las Vegas; Raptors 905 head coach Eric Khoury; Mery Andrade, a player development coach with both the Raptors and 905; physiotherapist Nikki Garcia; as well as a member of the team’s strength-and-conditioning staff. “He knew there was a meeting, but seeing five or six people in a meeting, it draws your attention,” says Rajakovic. “We were blatantly clear with him, this is where his focus needed to be.” The purpose, in a nutshell, was to layout a 360-degree solution to rescue Dick’s rookie season.

In the bigger picture, it’s worth pointing out that your average rookie doesn’t arrive in the NBA wide-eyed and completely unprepared for scrutiny, even adversity. Dick didn’t have to go to Kansas as the golden child star of his recruiting class and deal with the inherent pressure that came with the choice. And he didn’t have to transfer from his local high school, where he was the focal point of the team, to Sunrise, where suddenly he had to carve out a role among a roster of bigger and more experienced players. He didn’t have to declare for the NBA Draft as a 19-year-old either. As a local star at a big-time program, he made good NIL money. There were no financial pressures, and one NBA executive told me that if Dick had played another year at Kansas there’s a good chance he would have been a top-five pick this summer, which would have meant a richer entry-level contract. He could have been the man for another year with the Jayhawks instead of figuring out how to survive in the NBA, but there are no regrets. “My mom kept reminding me that my dream was to play at Kansas,” Dick says. “But I had to remind her that, yeah, it was my dream to play at Kansas, but my all-time dream was to be in the NBA, and I would never pass it up for anything. [Leaving college] was the best decision I ever made. I love it here.”

Fantastic read. Grange really hits his stride with these long pieces.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,676

Post#420 » by sbsat » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:22 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:Poeltl
Barnes
Barrett
Dick
IQ

That's likely the group that starts next season. Offensively, I like the fit. The big issue will be the defense, they will need to add 1-2 impact defenders who can play rotation minutes.

the defense really is going to be brutal yikes! f we can somehow get abaji to be a 33-35% 3 pt shooter, 42-45% corner 3pt guy we may have something nice off the bench to help the defensive effort.

Return to Toronto Raptors