ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,477

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#461 » by Scase » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:32 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
Scase wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Yup, usually I'd say we should take the whole sample size. But the first 2 months were SO bad compared to the rest of his season, I'd rate him on what he's done since.

I'm not ready to write those off entirely, but I'm definitely impressed by what he's done since. It probably is more indickative of his projection, but sample size is sample size. That said, the massive 180 is a very promising sign.

We probably should. Dick took 68 fga over the first 3 months of the season. That is 16% of his total attempts on the year. There were 20+ ROOKIES who took > 68 fga in March alone. It was at the point where Dick making just 5 more 3’s over that period was the difference between “all time bust!” and “decent prospect” on this board. In other words, we should have gleaned almost nothing from those first couple of months. It’s a near minuscule sample size.

I get what you are saying, but I preach sample size for all players, it's only fair I stay consistent. His stats still look solid with those taken into account, so I think it's fair that they don't just get waved away.
Props TZ!
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,695

Post#462 » by shmoosicle » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:11 pm

I agree with those who are missing the hustle plays and passing we saw earlier in the year. Hopefully we'll see more of that next year along with his shooting.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,315

Post#463 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:19 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:If you evaluate over an entire season, Dick's grade would be a lot lower, but since the new year, over the last 3 months or so, he's been one of the better rookies and he's outplayed most of those names listed above. The fact he's trending upwards is the most positive sign.

Yup, usually I'd say we should take the whole sample size. But the first 2 months were SO bad compared to the rest of his season, I'd rate him on what he's done since.

I think you can take the entire rookie season with a grain of salt for everyone. You get to see flashes of what they can/can't do, but it's all about adjustment.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,023

Post#464 » by Duffman100 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:22 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:If you evaluate over an entire season, Dick's grade would be a lot lower, but since the new year, over the last 3 months or so, he's been one of the better rookies and he's outplayed most of those names listed above. The fact he's trending upwards is the most positive sign.

I think you can take the entire rookie season with a grain of salt for everyone. You get to see flashes of what they can/can't do, but it's all about adjustment.

Yeah for sure. It's all about flashes. Then it's growing and consistency into year 2, 3, 4 etc
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,304

Post#465 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:58 pm

Dalek wrote: overall he is a shooter with zero defense and the other hustle stats are poor.

Ah so it is confirmed, you never watched a game this year.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,282

Post#466 » by ItsDanger » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:16 pm

The question remains, is he a starter on this team? With IQ, RJ, and Scottie as the other 3, having Dick as the 4th guy seems like a shaky defensive lineup. They're probably content to use him in a 6th man role for the time being. I still maintain they need to upgrade the C spot in order to enhance the current roster.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#467 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:22 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Yeah for sure. It's all about flashes. Then it's growing and consistency into year 2, 3, 4 etc

The odd thing about the first 2 months was just not being able to shoot. He was showing the ability to make some reads, cut, move the ball, just couldn't buy a bucket. Is he a starter? Ehh, not so sure about that, but I think he's got a future at least as good as say, GTJ.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,477

Post#468 » by Scase » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:42 pm

ItsDanger wrote:The question remains, is he a starter on this team? With IQ, RJ, and Scottie as the other 3, having Dick as the 4th guy seems like a shaky defensive lineup. They're probably content to use him in a 6th man role for the time being. I still maintain they need to upgrade the C spot in order to enhance the current roster.

If he were able to pick up next season where he left off this year, I would say we're better off from a balance aspect having him start, his shooting and movement opens up the offence a lot.

If he comes off the bench though, who exactly is our starting 5? IQ/RJ/Scottie/Jak and? With any luck GTJ and Brown are gone this off season, and if GTJ is re-signed, I don't see at all how he is a better option than Gradey. Our team is shallow AF, there isn't really anyone to replace him for him to be benched.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,282

Post#469 » by ItsDanger » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:55 pm

Scase wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:The question remains, is he a starter on this team? With IQ, RJ, and Scottie as the other 3, having Dick as the 4th guy seems like a shaky defensive lineup. They're probably content to use him in a 6th man role for the time being. I still maintain they need to upgrade the C spot in order to enhance the current roster.

If he were able to pick up next season where he left off this year, I would say we're better off from a balance aspect having him start, his shooting and movement opens up the offence a lot.

If he comes off the bench though, who exactly is our starting 5? IQ/RJ/Scottie/Jak and? With any luck GTJ and Brown are gone this off season, and if GTJ is re-signed, I don't see at all how he is a better option than Gradey. Our team is shallow AF, there isn't really anyone to replace him for him to be benched.

I don't really like the roster construction currently. You have RJ, Dick, and Agbaji basically at the 2/3 slots which takes away improvement via draft at 3 position minimum (total maybe 70 minutes). This assumes Scottie is strictly at the 4. I'm assuming Trent and Brown are gone. If so, it's likely one of the picks if we don't convey will be a SG or combo guard.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#470 » by brownbobcat » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:23 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Scase wrote:

I don't really like the roster construction currently. You have RJ, Dick, and Agbaji basically at the 2/3 slots which takes away improvement via draft at 3 position minimum (total maybe 70 minutes). This assumes Scottie is strictly at the 4. I'm assuming Trent and Brown are gone. If so, it's likely one of the picks if we don't convey will be a SG or combo guard.

Agbaji is not blocking anybody, he's a body to soak up some minutes. RJ would ideally be at the 2, but can slide over to the 3. You don't always need to forcefeed someone minutes for development - I think 15 mpg is enough. Something like:

RJ - 34
Dick - 25
Rooke - 15
Agbaji - 10

And there are still minutes left to slot Barnes at the 3 or whatever. Things definitely get crowded if GTJ stays.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,917

Post#471 » by TheGeneral99 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:30 pm

What an interesting year for this kid...went from looking like a bust with the yips in the first half of the year to one of the best rookies in the second half.

Return to Toronto Raptors