ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,155

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#141 » by PoundTown » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:12 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
PoundTown wrote:
ash_k wrote:it is now clear what we potentially have here ..and it is special....as the former best high school player in the nation...Masai and Bobby have come through once again..

He has an absolutely great feel for the game, and to be able to shoot it this well,at this age, at this level definitely projects him as a top 5 shooter in this league in the not so distant future. Not sure how good he can be by next year, but pretty sure by the time he reaches the age of 24 he is going to be pretty damn good.

I think we’re sleeping on his off the dribble game, because he doesn’t need to blow by guys if he can add some handles, just enough space to pull up from anywhere, and also if he can get it to the point of adding some hesitations he will be absolutely lethal. He has the footwork and body control.

Off-season should be based around strength and conditioning, handles and continuing to be an elite shooter.

He had one notable play coming off a double staggered screen. He caught the ball off the curl like he was going to rise up and shoot but noticed he had Gordon trailing on his hip ready to contest so he just kind of stopped, gave a subtle shot fake and drove to the rim for a lay up instead. You can just see the game has slowed down for him.

Yeah, I saw that too. That was the play, not the only play, but it definitely got me thinking that the gravity of his shot is going to give him opportunities that other guys simply won't have. Gordon was right in him there, as you said, and all it takes is a little upfake. Once he can get that move down where his hesitation stop gives the slightest indication he is going to rise up for a shot, he will be able to blow by guys. And it's not like a Gary skillset where you know no matter what he's going to shoot, this guy sees the whole floor, and once he passes it, he relocates himself immediately. Great mind, great motor. By watching him, he looks like a coaches son (is he?), but a really talented one. Defence looks like it's going to be okay, he's staying in front of people and using his feet, just not strong enough yet. I hope Gradey becomes the type of shooter that can hit 40 percent of his 3's but on stepbacks, and from launching 5 feet beyond the line, and it being a good shot still. Basically a top 5 shooter in the game.

As for the POA defender for this team, yeah we definitely need that. But, Ochai isn't that guy. Ochai is the guy you bring off the bench to replace that guy in the second unit. But, if we're looking to tank next year, then Ochai is that guy for next year lol.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,448

Post#142 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:03 pm

The future is definitely Barnes, IQ and Dick. I agree RJ is not 100% in that mix right now but it's all going to depend if he can advance his game especially with the shooting. We'll see. The next 18 months for him is going to be vital to the growth of our team.

IQ
Dick
RJ - Agbaji
Barnes
Poeltl - Olynyk

I would probably lean big wing (Salaun) for Indiana pick (if hes there) or if there's a centre with upside they like.

If we somehow keep SA pick, Reed or Topic would be nice
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,883

Post#143 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:20 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:The future is definitely Barnes, IQ and Dick. I agree RJ is not 100% in that mix right now but it's all going to depend if he can advance his game especially with the shooting. We'll see. The next 18 months for him is going to be vital to the growth of our team.

IQ
Dick
RJ - Agbaji
Barnes
Poeltl - Olynyk

I would probably lean big wing (Salaun) for Indiana pick (if hes there) or if there's a centre with upside they like.

Again, not understanding why everyone is so ready to send RJ packing.

We have a 23 year old, putting up All-Star numbers on elite efficiency, and is on a team friendly contract - yet people want him gone?

He reminds me of Pascal is many ways - has one unstoppable move to finish at the rim and isn't particularly great at anything but is good everywhere.

You can win a championship with RJ as your 3rd/4th option. I think he has defensive upside and will continue to improve offensively. He makes good reads & passes, can finish at the rim, can knock down the 3 ball, and occasionally hit the floater.
But what matters here is that he's only 23! I believe if the Raps can maximize his potential, we can have another all-star on our hands.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#144 » by kwajo » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:43 pm

I saw it for the first time last night, but if he can continue to learn the art of staying in motion I definitely see a lot of Rip Hamilton in his future. Not a prolific scorer but a steady, constant threat within the offense and a headsy team defender that can also get you 3-5 assists a night.
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#145 » by Scase » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:06 pm

metafisical wrote:
Statistician MK wrote:Gradey Dick, 3Pt%

November ... 20.0%
December ... 33.3%
January ...... 40.0%
February ..... 49.0% (24-49)

My estimates:
March.... 57%
April .... bajillion %

If he's not scoring 4 points per 3pa by the end of the season, he's a bust.
Props TZ!
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,448

Post#146 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:17 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:The future is definitely Barnes, IQ and Dick. I agree RJ is not 100% in that mix right now but it's all going to depend if he can advance his game especially with the shooting. We'll see. The next 18 months for him is going to be vital to the growth of our team.

IQ
Dick
RJ - Agbaji
Barnes
Poeltl - Olynyk

Again, not understanding why everyone is so ready to send RJ packing.

We have a 23 year old, putting up All-Star numbers on elite efficiency, and is on a team friendly contract - yet people want him gone?

He reminds me of Pascal is many ways - has one unstoppable move to finish at the rim and isn't particularly great at anything but is good everywhere.

You can win a championship with RJ as your 3rd/4th option. I think he has defensive upside and will continue to improve offensively. He makes good reads & passes, can finish at the rim, can knock down the 3 ball, and occasionally hit the floater.
But what matters here is that he's only 23! I believe if the Raps can maximize his potential, we can have another all-star on our hands.

I think people are fine with RJ and like his progress thus far since being traded but we will need another step from him, especially when this team decides to contend for a top 4 seed. I'm excited what Darko can do with him.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#147 » by dagger » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:08 pm

RJ is here and staying for the next couple of seasons. Building up the team from where things are at will include some sideways moves over time so he might dealt at some point, but there is some drafting and free agency ahead before any of the younger pieces are deemed expendable in a major trade.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,451

Post#148 » by mtcan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:38 pm

I don't know why people are still dismissing RJ like he's just a throw-in with a bad contract. He's doing amazing in a Raptors uniform. There is a chance that he is the better player to come out of this OG trade.

He's 23 years old and fits with the young core.

We don't talk enough about him being a former #3 pick because he has been inefficient and not flashy like Zion and Ja...but dude's a competitor and the kind of guy you want on your side. The way he's been playing in a Raptors jersey I will take any **** day.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,810

Post#149 » by ash_k » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:42 pm

mtcan wrote:I don't know why people are still dismissing RJ like he's just a throw-in with a bad contract. He's doing amazing in a Raptors uniform. There is a chance that he is the better player to come out of this OG trade.

He's 23 years old and fits with the young core.

We don't talk enough about him being a former #3 pick because he has been inefficient and not flashy like Zion and Ja...but dude's a competitor and the kind of guy you want on your side. The way he's been playing in a Raptors jersey I will take any **** day.

Nah, just the ones(too many) that cant admit they were wrong about him..It has become comical, like the ones predicting a future bench role :lol: :lol:
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,771

Post#150 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:47 pm

Honestly, although OG is easily a better and more versatile defender than RJ, the way RJ is playing he is easily the better offensive player.

Given that RJ is only 23 and OG is 26, the Knicks didn't really make a huge upgrade with OG in the long-term despite the better fit. OG is also injury prone while RJ has been pretty healthy in his first 4 seasons.

Then you add Quickley to the mix and I think we win this deal in the long-term.

OG will probably command around 35-40m this summer in salary while Quickley probably ends up in the 20-25m range.

I'd rather have RJ+Quickley making 45-50m combined compared to OG alone making 40m combined.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,062

Post#151 » by HumbleRen » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:48 pm

RJ is a good player and does a lot of things well.

The only reason why I don’t think he’s a core player is because I don’t see how we can ever be a good to great defensive team with RJ at the 3.

Especially if Dick is our future 2. It puts too much of a burden on Scottie and our 5.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#152 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 pm

HumbleRen wrote:RJ is a good player and does a lot of things well.

The only reason why I don’t think he’s a core player is because I don’t see how we can ever be a good to great defensive team with RJ at the 3.

Especially if Dick is our future 2. It puts too much of a burden on Scottie and our 5.

I think RJ eventually takes a 6th man role. He’s going to feast on second units.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#153 » by Psubs » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:27 pm

Just need to be average on defense individually and make good/smart rotations. The bench is starting to form nicely. Hopefully add a couple more players to boost the talent level. They are close to ascending like OKC or at least like a Sacramento.
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Post#154 » by Tortiglioni » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:39 pm

I''d put the odds of Masai ever trading Barrett at close to 0%. Masai collects Canadian players like they are Pokemon, and Barrett is the highest profile player he's ever had. Barrett will be pushing 40 and starting on a 20-win Raptors team 10 years from now.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,062

Post#155 » by HumbleRen » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:20 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:

I think RJ eventually takes a 6th man role. He’s going to feast on second units.

Yeah, his best role will be a 6th man role on a contender or conference finals caliber team.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,747

Post#156 » by And1Skip » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:21 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:

Hence, the Manu comparisons early...to set everyone's expectations, including RJ's that its ok to be 6th man and be great.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#157 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:24 am

And1Skip wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Hence, the Manu comparisons early...to set everyone's expectations, including RJ's that its ok to be 6th man and be great.

What if by 26 he's stronger and improves defense and can hit the 3 at 38%? I think him and Gradey could be an good swingman combo.
canz55
Sixth Man
And1: 2,026

Post#158 » by canz55 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:37 am

kwajo wrote:I saw it for the first time last night, but if he can continue to learn the art of staying in motion I definitely see a lot of Rip Hamilton in his future. Not a prolific scorer but a steady, constant threat within the offense and a headsy team defender that can also get you 3-5 assists a night.
Oh dude, if Dick becomes a Rip Hamilton, then Masai won the 2023 draft (next to SA).

Sent from my SM-S908W using RealGM mobile app
ImageWe the Champs...
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Post#159 » by RoteSchroder » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:56 am

canz55 wrote:
kwajo wrote:I saw it for the first time last night, but if he can continue to learn the art of staying in motion I definitely see a lot of Rip Hamilton in his future. Not a prolific scorer but a steady, constant threat within the offense and a headsy team defender that can also get you 3-5 assists a night.
Oh dude, if Dick becomes a Rip Hamilton, then Masai won the 2023 draft (next to SA).

Sent from my SM-S908W using RealGM mobile app

There's still a lot of room for development for a lot of players. One thing's for sure though, Orlando really messed up taking an obvious bust in Jett Howard. Gradey was a great fit for them.
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#160 » by Blazing_royale » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:20 am

That Magic team would look dam good right now with Gradey
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection

Return to Toronto Raptors