ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#361 » by shmoosicle » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:He seems to be adjusting to the starting role. His last 4 games:

32.3 MIN, 17.3 PPG, .474 FG, .385 3PT, .714 FT, .574 TS

This is pretty impressive given the talent around him.

Yeah that's a good sign. The only thing I'll criticize is that in the last couple weeks his minutes have gone up but his rebounding and assist numbers haven't, so hopefully he can put it all together.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#362 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

shmoosicle wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:He seems to be adjusting to the starting role. His last 4 games:

Yeah that's a good sign. The only thing I'll criticize is that in the last couple weeks his minutes have gone up but his rebounding and assist numbers haven't, so hopefully he can put it all together.

Dick going to look a lot better with legit NBA talent. He's literally the only guy currently playing teams have to give any respect to due to his shooting ability.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,522

Post#363 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

shmoosicle wrote:

That's probably a combination of teams dropping close to 150 on you, there aren't many rebounds to grab, and he's not exactly playing with guys who can hit shots.

It's really hard to evaluate anyone right now because these games are mostly over by the 1st Q. I just want to see him move the ball, take good shots and maybe try different offensive movements.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,730

Post#364 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

His play might be the only good thing to come out of this last month.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#365 » by Psubs » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:His play might be the only good thing to come out of this last month.

Moving into the top 4 is possible with the lottery.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,730

Post#366 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 pm

Psubs wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:His play might be the only good thing to come out of this last month.

So is moving out.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 944

Post#367 » by raptorforlife88 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

Horrific October/November start to the season aside he's shooting 46% from the field and and 39% from three. Averaging 10 PPG since January.

Very solid shooting, and it's a particularly good sign how good his finishing is, and that he's also been good with the longer mid range shots. He's more than just a shooter, given his lack of strength currently it's impressive how he's able to finish creatively inside. Makes me believe that he's going to be able to develop an expanded offensive game once his conditioning and strength are better.

One summer of real work and the non corner threes should start hitting at a better rate, cause that's his gap right now as a shooter. His defense is better if he's stronger, his finishing can be better.

I do think it's possible he has a really good jump in performance next year.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#368 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:47 pm

Just listening to Blake and Samson on the Raptors Show and Blake cited Gradey's TS% with Scottie on the floor (59%) vs. off (52%).

I think he's going to look really good blended in with actual NBA starting talent. His percentages have held up better than I expected with little to no talent around him.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,942

Post#369 » by Kevin Willis » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 pm

He's a good choice in a good draft. I didn't understand his start but now he's what was expected. If he came out in the 2024 draft, he would be easy top 10.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#370 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Just listening to Blake and Samson on the Raptors Show and Blake cited Gradey's TS% with Scottie on the floor (59%) vs. off (52%).

I think he's going to look really good blended in with actual NBA starting talent. His percentages have held up better than I expected with little to no talent around him.

This is what killed me the most about the Scottie injury, Dick was finally hitting his stride, but he really needs smart ball handlers to find him in good spots. No Scottie will hamper his development, but hopefully they can get a lot of run time during the off season.

People will call me nuts, but I'm hoping they can become our poor mans Jokic/Murray combo.
Props TZ!
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,477

Post#371 » by PD28 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm

Scase wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Just listening to Blake and Samson on the Raptors Show and Blake cited Gradey's TS% with Scottie on the floor (59%) vs. off (52%).

This is what killed me the most about the Scottie injury, Dick was finally hitting his stride, but he really needs smart ball handlers to find him in good spots. No Scottie will hamper his development, but hopefully they can get a lot of run time during the off season.

People will call me nuts, but I'm hoping they can become our poor mans Jokic/Murray combo.

Would've been nice for Scottie and Dick to develop more chemistry on the floor (especially since Dick found his shot). But I think Dick being given the reigns to create shots and be more of a focus on offence will pay dividends next season. Dick's being covered by the other teams best or second defender most games lately - which won't happen with Scottie/IQ/RJ on the floor. He's really going to explode next season, feeding off the open looks/cuts.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#372 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 pm

Do Raptors mgmt see him as the starting 2 next year?
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#373 » by binjumper » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Psubs wrote:

So is moving out.

Glass half full and Glass half empty. Be positive Debbie.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#374 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Scase wrote:

I don't think Dick is every going to develop that off the dribble game, that's asking a lot. Our Denver equivalent from closest in role to furthest is:

Jokic -> Scottie
Murray -> IQ
MPJ -> Dick
Gordon -> Ochai
KCP -> Barrett

:(
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#375 » by MEDIC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:31 pm

The player that we have seen in 2024 is the player I expected to see at the start of the season.

I have watched every Raptors rookie develop. I have never seen a player turn it around like Gradey has. He didn't look like he even belonged in the Gleague the first few months. I was at a loss for words.

I guess he is a young guy who never really left home. Went to the local university. Always had family close. Was probably a tough transition.

I am liking what I am seeing now.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#376 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Scase wrote:

I don't think Dick is every going to develop that off the dribble game, that's asking a lot. Our Denver equivalent from closest in role to furthest is:

Jokic -> Scottie
Murray -> IQ
MPJ -> Dick
Gordon -> Ochai
KCP -> Barrett

:(

Haha that's why I said poor mans version. I think Gradey is a better fit than IQ, as IQ doesn't have much of a driving game. Gradey seems to be rather crafty with the ball, IQs off ball game is pretty good, but Gradey isn't too far behind despite being a rookie and 5 years younger. So based on that, I'm hoping with time he hones that aspect with time.

As for the rest of the team, I won't even make comparisons lol.
Props TZ!
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#377 » by binjumper » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:24 pm

The team will definitely be riding Dick till the end of the season.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#378 » by XTC » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:00 am

Dick has averaged 10/2/2 on 45/40/80 shooting splits his last 30 games. It took him awhile to get use to the NBA speed, but he's contributing with just his jumper. Teams have really tightened up their defense on him, he has really good gravity on the perimeter and he has shown the ability to warp a defense.

Once he gets stronger he's going to get even more range on his jumper, and he's going to be able to finish whenever he drives to the hoop.

I really like his potential as a scorer. I think he's going to have a massive year next season with a full off season of NBA training.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,885

Post#379 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 am

What was the better move from this season?

Trading OG for RJ & IQ

OR

Drafting Gradey
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#380 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:27 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:What was the better move from this season?

Trading OG for RJ & IQ

OR

Drafting Gradey

Why not both? Why does it have to be exclusive? :P

(just busting your cheeks lol)

Return to Toronto Raptors