ImageImageImageImageImage

The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,522

Re: The Gradey Dick Thread Part 3 

Post#301 » by OakleyDokely » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:43 pm

A lot of those guys listed are in the same tier as Gradey.

Is an older Podz and his 53 ts% that much better a prospect?

Other than Wemby and maybe Miller/Scoot, a lot is still up in the air with the rest or the guys in the draft.
Got Nuffin
Pro Prospect
And1: 887

Post#302 » by Got Nuffin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:29 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:A lot of those guys listed are in the same tier as Gradey.

Other than Wemby and maybe Miller/Scoot, a lot is still up in the air with the rest or the guys in the draft.

Really not on the Podz hype bandwagon tbh. Despite his rave reviews, he averages 9pts on 8fga which would be considered awful if he wasn’t a rookie. Gradey averages 7 on 6 despite his shocking start and would have much better stats if he came in prepared all season. A poster did counter by saying GSW are a much better team, but are they really? they are going to finish 10th in the West.

JJ is off to an amazing start and love watching him play but he’s the same age as Barrett jr already. No doubt Gradey in 3 years time would be averaging well over a cool 12ppg (or you’d hope so).

Some of the other prospects like Cason Wallace, Bilal C, Lively.. it’s just too early to tell who will be stand out amongst them or Dick. I do see a heap of upside with all these guys but all their stats are very similar and who knows.

Probably would not want Whitmore with his lower IQ and honestly he probably wouldn’t be a good fit here in Darkos system, and with Barrett jr a similar style player that we’re already developing. Could beva good player but not the best fit.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#303 » by brownbobcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Come on, there is zero chance you guys would be so high on Gradey if he didn't play for Toronto :lol:.

Podz shoots better from 3, same from 2, all at significantly higher self creation rates. Yes, I'd take him over Gradey all day long.
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#304 » by positivetension » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:02 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

Come on, there is zero chance you guys would be so high on Gradey if he didn't play for Toronto :lol:.

Podz shoots better from 3, same from 2, all at significantly higher self creation rates. Yes, I'd take him over Gradey all day long.

I don't understand how you can watch him play and not be high on him. He's a smart player with a high ceiling.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#305 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:09 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

Gradey's actually just passed Podz on eFG% (52.5% vs. 52.3%) and has nearly caught him from behind the arc (36.6% vs. 37.9%), which is wild considering how their years started - basically Gradey doesn't miss FTs (89% vs. 62%) and is just as effective when getting closer to the hoop (both 49%).

Podz has definitely shown more passing chops, not sure I agree with self-creation given the variety of takes I've seen Gradey pull off lately. That sweeping hook over Chet on a drive into the lane is not something everybody can do.

I think they'll both be good, but the optimism surround Gradey is legit imo. He's taller and a year younger, which are important factors when trying to figure out where these guys will end up in their prime. I think they'll be playing different roles by then anyway (eg. Gradey likely suited to guarding wings, Podz PGs/SGs).
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#306 » by brownbobcat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:18 pm

positivetension wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

I don't understand how you can watch him play and not be high on him. He's a smart player with a high ceiling.

I can think highly of Gradey without thinking he's vaulted into top 5 based on this year.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,857

Post#307 » by nikster » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:29 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
nikster wrote:I think there's a chance Gradey cracks the top 5 in the draft.

JJJ and Podz are both older and I'm not sure actually that much better at this point in the season. Whitmore is a good scorer but has tunnel vision as bad as anybody we've seen, has to he an elite scorer to have a positive contribution. The Thompson twins have been pretty horrible shooters so far which could hold them back,

Don't think it's unreasonable Gradey passes some of the other guys on the list, like Wallace, Scoot

In the long run, it's always possible. Based on this season? Not a chance. Podz and JJJ have been older than Gradey this entire time (and Podz not by much), it's absurd to dismiss that they're playing ball at a much higher level (and for much better teams) right now. The irony in some of you guys calling Scoot a bust already - you already forgot how Gradey was playing 4 months ago? And it's not like he's crushing it now either, come on.

Gradey's *always* been rankes the #1 shooter in his class. Can anyone truly say he's head and shoulders above everyone else so far this year?

yeah since he came back into rotation end of January he has a good argument for been the shooter in the class. Since February he averages 11 points on 58TS%. JJJ 10 points with 51TS% and Podz 10 points on 52TS%. Podz better playmaker but they've hardly been on a different level. And question was redraft, not who had a better season.

I did not call Scoot a bust, I said there's a chance Dick ends up better.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#308 » by ForeverTFC » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:51 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
positivetension wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:Come on, there is zero chance you guys would be so high on Gradey if he didn't play for Toronto :lol:.

I can think highly of Gradey without thinking he's vaulted into top 5 based on this year.

Like I said, re-drafting makes no sense so early. It's a tier thing at this point. Wemby has his own tier and then Miller has his own tier. After that, you have a bunch of guys that are in similar tiers on a 2x2 of ready to play today, potential in the future.

IMO Cason, Bilal and the Thompson twins are in a separate tier in terms of potential and I'd still take them over Gradey even if things don't play out for them. Scoot is in a weird spot because the numbers are all awful yet you can still get caught up in his narrative. So I don't fault anyone for putting him in this tier as well.

After that, you have Gradey, Cam, JJJ, Podz, GG Jackson, Keyonte George, and maybe Anthony Black as the guys that seem to have potential as long term rotation players in this league. You can order these guys however you want, but I think you'd agree with me that they're all in the same tier to this point, no?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#309 » by dagger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:24 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
positivetension wrote:I don't understand how you can watch him play and not be high on him. He's a smart player with a high ceiling.

Like I said, re-drafting makes no sense so early. It's a tier thing at this point. Wemby has his own tier and then Miller has his own tier. After that, you have a bunch of guys that are in similar tiers on a 2x2 of ready to play today, potential in the future.

IMO Cason, Bilal and the Thompson twins are in a separate tier in terms of potential and I'd still take them over Gradey even if things don't play out for them. Scoot is in a weird spot because the numbers are all awful yet you can still get caught up in his narrative. So I don't fault anyone for putting him in this tier as well.

After that, you have Gradey, Cam, JJJ, Podz, GG Jackson, Keyonte George, and maybe Anthony Black as the guys that seem to have potential as long term rotation players in this league. You can order these guys however you want, but I think you'd agree with me that they're all in the same tier to this point, no?

I don't see much to be gained by trying to slot rookies into a redraft because each one has his own individual journey. Some are playing with good vets on good teams, with mediocre vets on bad teams, or on bad teams with no vets, and it makes a difference. Each player's journey can have twists and turns. Gradey just played 67 minutes in a back to back and 99 minutes in a four day span - with no veteran starters except Trent Jr last night, and a couple of bench vets, which is something he has never experienced even in college, and is not part of any coherent development plan like the one, say, Wemby, has been on. For me, whatever the Raptors are doing right now is meaningless on a team level, because there is no team.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#310 » by dagger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:35 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:
positivetension wrote:I don't understand how you can watch him play and not be high on him. He's a smart player with a high ceiling.

I'm not so sure about this second tier. Gradey, though he doesn't have a built up body yet, has missed just one game. Auser Thompson has just been diagnosed with a blood clot, and that is something that would make me nervous about his long-term future. Bilal shot 27.6% from 3, and 40.4% from the field in his final 10 games as his minutes were increased, so let's see. I'd pick Wallace And Amen Thompson ahead of Gradey, but I wouldn't be so sure about anyone else in that tier.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Post#311 » by RoteSchroder » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:21 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

Jarace Walker and Leonard Miller were also dominating in the G-league last I remember, but they're on win-now teams with too much forward depth.
Appostis
Veteran
And1: 2,210

Post#312 » by Appostis » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:31 am

positivetension wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

Alot of people jumped on the "he's a bust" bandwagon..it's easier to keep double downing then own up to being wrong for some people.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#313 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:05 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

Podz was better for a couple month, but that's no longer the case.

Since Jan 1st:

Dick: 23.5 MIN, 9.7 PPG, .455 FG, .403 3PT, .800 FT
Podz: 29.5 MIN, 9.6 PPG, .434 FG, .352 3PT, .583 FT

Dick's overall stats are somewhat skewed because of the terrible start, but since the new year, he's been one of the better, more efficient rookies.
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#314 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:16 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
positivetension wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:Come on, there is zero chance you guys would be so high on Gradey if he didn't play for Toronto :lol:.

There's a large tier of guys who haven't really separated themselves from each other yet and it will take years to determine which guys are the best.

Whose better this very moment isn't the best way to evaluate long term impact because they're all in various stages of development. Most of the soph's, junior's and seniors should be ahead of the teenagers and the freshmen in this class. That doesn't mean I would take Podz over a guy like Bilal.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#315 » by TimeForChange » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

Whose better this very moment isn't the best way to evaluate long term impact because they're all in various stages of development.

tell that to the guys saying gradey would go top-5 :lol:

that is just an absurd notion, and we both know that.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,859

Post#316 » by Duffman100 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:47 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:I can think highly of Gradey without thinking he's vaulted into top 5 based on this year.

Whose better this very moment isn't the best way to evaluate long term impact because they're all in various stages of development.

Definitely top 10.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#317 » by TimeForChange » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Whose better this very moment isn't the best way to evaluate long term impact because they're all in various stages of development.

Definitely top 10.

nah

but let's give it 3 years before we know for sure
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#318 » by Duffman100 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:59 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:tell that to the guys saying gradey would go top-5 :lol:

Definitely top 10.

nah

Whats your redraft that doesn't have Dick in the top 10?
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#319 » by TimeForChange » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:01 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
Definitely top 10.

nah

i have already posted it when this discussion started 2 days ago
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#320 » by Duffman100 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:02 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:nah

i have already posted it when this discussion started 2 days ago

You gonna make me go back and dig around.... UGHHHHH

Return to Toronto Raptors