ImageImageImageImageImage

Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Beerpapi
Sophomore
And1: 83

Re: Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team? 

Post#81 » by Beerpapi » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:55 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
I do t think this is true. I posted an Athletic article a page back that said a few teams are profitable.

lol it was a buzz line that came out a few yrs ago that everyone seems to have run with.

I guess it's the league that has had a loss every year, as a whole. We'll see if the lady Raps can draw enough to make money. It would be good to get Natalie Achonwa and Kia Nurse on the team, and other Canadians.

There seems to be a bit of a pr war going on re salaries and the players’ cut of revenues.

You have intel coming out saying the league is doing better than public perception and that salaries account for less than 10% of league revenues.

https://frontofficesports.com/wnba-players-not-reaping-leagues-revenue-gains/

Then you have the other side no doubt supported by some owners that keeps repeating financials from before this period of growth along with the usual misogynistic tropes.

Makes it hard to rely on operating financials as a measure of the league’s performance. As I keep repeating the valuations are growing like crazy and that is public info. The window of opportunity where expansion fees are relatively low is going to close soon. It’s going to end up like MLS soccer. The expansion fee for TFC was $10 million. San Diego paid $500 million last year.
6ixpessant
Junior
And1: 444

Post#82 » by 6ixpessant » Wed Mar 6, 2024 12:32 pm

adubmac wrote:This probably speaks to my ignorance, but I'm shocked there are currently only 13 teams in the WNBA.

It seems they're growing it at a similar pace to MLS, which has been remarkably well done.

Women's sports leagues are going to take time, but they will succeed.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,512

Post#83 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Mar 6, 2024 2:53 pm

I think a market like Toronto / GTA will do a lot better than most of the teams in the league in terms of viewership and attendance. Being the only team in Canada will only help too. Happy Larry is doing this on his own. Rogers are a bunch of idiots
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,839

Post#84 » by TravisScott55 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:00 pm

This thread kind of funny. Ed Rogers is the devil because he told the WNBA Coca Cola arena but no Scotiabank arena, and now Larry Tanebaum is hailed a hero for offering Coca Cola arena.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,078

Post#85 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:26 am

If you really think about it, Coca Cola Coliseum is the perfect place for it. Its near for the city boss babe, liberty village/ queen hipster part of town. The yuppie crowd can be easily guilt tripped into the whole league being destroyed by misogyny. Allow people from liberty village to bring in their dogs and you will sell tickets. Theres more dogs than people there.

I would've really started with a suburb, since the burbs are more sports starved.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,902

Post#86 » by Merit » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:12 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:I think a market like Toronto / GTA will do a lot better than most of the teams in the league in terms of viewership and attendance. Being the only team in Canada will only help too. Happy Larry is doing this on his own. Rogers are a bunch of idiots

I hope Rogers reads this: I’m so glad I moved on. Nothing but trouble and trash deals for the entire time I was with them.

Ed is trash - both in perception and IRL.

He has been known for meddling, power plays, allegedly ruined the Jays before being stopped and attempted control of other teams unsuccessfully.

Thank goodness for Larry.
I believe in Masai.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,757

Post#87 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:58 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:This thread kind of funny. Ed Rogers is the devil because he told the WNBA Coca Cola arena but no Scotiabank arena, and now Larry Tanebaum is hailed a hero for offering Coca Cola arena.

Pretty sure he's the devil on this forum because he didn't want to pay Masai after the 'chip, because he vetoed the WNBA franchise in the first place and (if you care about this sort of thing) because he's boys with a certain ex-Prez.

Did we all forget about this?

https://crier.co/this-rogers-media-vs-masai-ujiri-story-is-absolutely-bananas-2/
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,797

Post#88 » by Lord_Zedd » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:17 pm

Yep, Ed's a real life POS who waged war against his own family. Heck, even Rogers Telecommunications kicked him out as chairman a couple years back, until he fought that on court and was re-instated.

If Ed Rogers had his way with Toronto sports, we'd be experiencing another Harold Ballard of suck.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,845

Post#89 » by Quattro » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:20 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:Listening to Will Lou's show today on the FAN, the usage of words by his cohost like "underpinnings of misogyny" and how it doesn't have to be profit motivated blah blah blah makes me think they are already starting on some campaign to guilt trip everyone to start supporting the product, specially men. Men will **** on crappy products, just see the CFL.

Take what you will, Shireen Ahmed, has a "feminist sports podcast". Their own words.

The raptors have been a crappy product more often than not in their existence and lots of men supported that product. There's a certain hockey team that plays in this town too that's widely supported despite many years of futility.

Don't know why people who aren't interested in the WNBA need to be vocal about how uninterested in the WNBA they are but I see it a lot. While I didn't hear the show, maybe that's what they were referring to
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,884

Post#90 » by Boardbreaker » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:32 pm

Quattro wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:Listening to Will Lou's show today on the FAN, the usage of words by his cohost like "underpinnings of misogyny" and how it doesn't have to be profit motivated blah blah blah makes me think they are already starting on some campaign to guilt trip everyone to start supporting the product, specially men. Men will **** on crappy products, just see the CFL.

Take what you will, Shireen Ahmed, has a "feminist sports podcast". Their own words.

The raptors have been a crappy product more often than not in their existence and lots of men supported that product. There's a certain hockey team that plays in this town too that's widely supported despite many years of futility.

Don't know why people who aren't interested in the WNBA need to be vocal about how uninterested in the WNBA they are but I see it a lot. While I didn't hear the show, maybe that's what they were referring to

I’d honestly watch the wnba over any level of hockey
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#91 » by douggood » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,772

Post#92 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:47 pm

douggood wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hah, that's Greek Orthodox Easter Sunday.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,646

Post#93 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:48 pm

I assume they're going to Edmonton to make the idea of living in Toronto much more exciting.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Beerpapi
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#94 » by Beerpapi » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:41 pm

Edmonton has a long track record of supporting the Sr Women’s team. Nice that they get this game.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:52 pm

Quattro wrote:

Its because the NBA has star power. If men supported the Raptors it also gave them a chance to watch the other stars play.

The WNBA wasnt in the conversation until the last 2-3 years when pay disparity and other gender issues became of everyday discourse.

I dont think its a gender or mysogyny issue. Its a quality issue. Dudes will watch women in UFC, tennis etc. Even WWE, which is probably the dudiest thing ever, have managed to show some really dope female wrestlers, and on some nights even better shows than men.

I dont even watch the NBA as much because of the quality. The only reason why I started tuning in was because you get to see the Mississauga mans RJ barret in a Raptors uniform, and really intrigued by IQ.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by Westside Gunn » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:53 pm

Edmontons the only city left where the team can find housing they can afford on their salaries
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,512

Post#97 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,405

Post#98 » by TimeForChange » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:27 pm

Boardbreaker wrote:
Quattro wrote:

I’d honestly watch the wnba over any level of hockey

I am with you.

I would watch any sport in the world over the NHL.
JJWong17
Analyst
And1: 476

Post#99 » by JJWong17 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:16 am

So they're saying that Larry's bid would have the team playing out of Coca Cola Coliseum right? I remember that part of the failure for the first WNBA bid was that it was reported that the league wanted the games to be played at Scotiabank and that MLSE wasn't willing to give up the money-marking timeslots for an unproven product. I wonder what changed to cause the WNBA to be okay with the smaller venue

Either way, this would be very cool if we land a team. With tickets being more reasonably priced (a pair of Raps tickets for Orlando comes out to almost $200 after fees), I'd definitely be interested in attending some games
Dustin Poirier, 2021: How'd you like the clavicle?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,983

Post#100 » by Potential » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:42 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ngl I didn't know how great of a sports city las vegas was. I didnt even know it was a city I thought it was just a gambling strip. Great fans there.

Return to Toronto Raptors