ImageImageImageImageImage

Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Re: Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team? 

Post#101 » by ontnut » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:56 am

Potential wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ngl I didn't know how great of a sports city las vegas was. I didnt even know it was a city I thought it was just a gambling strip. Great fans there.

There's a crap ton of corporate investment too. A lot of the SS are purchased to be used as comps/conferences/promotions etc.

Also FWIW:

The team sold 8,600 season-ticket memberships for Michelob Ultra Arena, which fits around 10,000 people. The lowest-priced season ticket was $200, which made up about 40% of season-ticket sales, per the team.

The back-to-back WNBA champions will put a limited number of single-game tickets up for sale by late April. Those tickets will cost as little as $15 per game, up $5 from last year.

$200 for a season seat (yes that's the ENTIRE season), is less than chump change esp in a city like Vegas. Doing the math on that, 40% = 3440 seats at $200 a pop = $688,000. That doesn't seem like a lot of revenue (esp considering what the WNBA players want to get paid). That's for a championship team too.

Before fees, the get-in rate for a Chicago Sky game is $25 or less, but when the Fever come to town, the cheapest seat is $320.

The Fever are predicted to get Caitlin Clark - which goes to show what some actual star power and better marketing would do for the WNBA. People want to see Caitlin more than they really want to watch the WNBA players/teams. She delivered a great competitive performance at All-star weekend, and said all the right things. Props to her.

If they spend less time complaining about the pay gap and misogyny and whatever, and focus on delivering an entertaining product and marketing it well, like the All-star shootout...they'll improve the league exponentially quicker that guilt tripping people into watching them.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,499

Post#102 » by ForeverTFC » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:25 am

ontnut wrote:Also FWIW:

The team sold 8,600 season-ticket memberships for Michelob Ultra Arena, which fits around 10,000 people. The lowest-priced season ticket was $200, which made up about 40% of season-ticket sales, per the team.

The back-to-back WNBA champions will put a limited number of single-game tickets up for sale by late April. Those tickets will cost as little as $15 per game, up $5 from last year.

$200 for a season seat (yes that's the ENTIRE season), is less than chump change esp in a city like Vegas. Doing the math on that, 40% = 3440 seats at $200 a pop = $688,000. That doesn't seem like a lot of revenue (esp considering what the WNBA players want to get paid). That's for a championship team too.

My season tickets for TFC in 2011 were $350 which would be the equivalent of $500 today... good seats too.

If any of the professional Women's sports leagues is going to work, it will be the WNBA. Hockey will never work in the US and Soccer is still building the men's leagues at the club level. Football/Baseball obviously don't work. If there is a bet to be made on Women's professional sports, it's basketball.
Beerpapi
Sophomore
And1: 83

Post#103 » by Beerpapi » Fri Mar 8, 2024 2:29 am

The Vegas season ticket situation is basically a “discount for locals”. Game by game tickets for tourists will be expensive.

Most mid market teams do this in many sports. The Sky vs Fever ticket price in the post above being a good example. Happens too in NCAA football. Years ago I wanted to go watch Notre Dame football at Pitt. I bought Pitt seasons tickets and donated all the games I wasn’t go to go to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Was much much cheaper than trying to buy tickets for just the one high profile game.

Cheerleaders will say wow they sold out!!
Nay sayers will say hold on it’s a cheap price.
It’s just a sales tactic not one or the other.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#104 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:10 am

ontnut wrote:
Potential wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ngl I didn't know how great of a sports city las vegas was. I didnt even know it was a city I thought it was just a gambling strip. Great fans there.

There's a crap ton of corporate investment too. A lot of the SS are purchased to be used as comps/conferences/promotions etc.

Also FWIW:

Before fees, the get-in rate for a Chicago Sky game is $25 or less, but when the Fever come to town, the cheapest seat is $320.

The Fever are predicted to get Caitlin Clark - which goes to show what some actual star power and better marketing would do for the WNBA. People want to see Caitlin more than they really want to watch the WNBA players/teams. She delivered a great competitive performance at All-star weekend, and said all the right things. Props to her.

If they spend less time complaining about the pay gap and misogyny and whatever, and focus on delivering an entertaining product and marketing it well, like the All-star shootout...they'll improve the league exponentially quicker that guilt tripping people into watching them.

Are you mixing up Caitlin Clark and Sabrina Ionescu? It was Ionescu at the All Star weekend
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#105 » by ontnut » Fri Mar 8, 2024 5:42 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
ontnut wrote:
Potential wrote:

Also FWIW:

Are you mixing up Caitlin Clark and Sabrina Ionescu? It was Ionescu at the All Star weekend

I sure am, that's my bad. But yeah, Caitlin Clark looks like an incoming superstar.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#106 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#107 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:06 pm

Incredible viewership #s.....

Star power....

Yeah, Toronto should have a WNBA TEAM...
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,884

Post#108 » by Boardbreaker » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:32 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Pretty clear to everyone but Rogers that the women’s game is trending upwards.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#109 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:52 pm

Boardbreaker wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Ed Rogers is such a clown. Missed the boat.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,391

Post#110 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:02 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
Boardbreaker wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wnba would be in competition with the Blue Jays so I'd get not dishing out money from their perspective. Others should step up, which seems like is happening now.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#111 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:24 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
Boardbreaker wrote:Pretty clear to everyone but Rogers that the women’s game is trending upwards.

Wnba would be in competition with the Blue Jays so I'd get not dishing out money from their perspective. Others should step up, which seems like is happening now.

Why would they care about competition if it's your own company?
It's like fido taking customers from Rogers, who owns fido

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#112 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:26 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Ed Rogers is such a clown. Missed the boat.

Because Rogers would only control 37.5% of a company that would take eyeballs away from a company they own 100%.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#113 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:41 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Because Rogers would only control 37.5% of a company that would take eyeballs away from a company they own 100%.

Fair fair enough.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#114 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:02 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

IDK how many eyes would leave the MLB to watch the WNBA. Seems like a fairly different market, and if you feel that the team coming to Toronto is inevitable yu might as well be the one to own it
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#115 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:08 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

IDK how many eyes would leave the MLB to watch the WNBA. Seems like a fairly different market, and if you feel that the team coming to Toronto is inevitable yu might as well be the one to own it

Jays are really the only show time town all summer. If the women's team becomes a winner, you bet all the bandwagoners would be attending/watching basketball. Why even bother attempting to lose all that for an investment that isn't the most profitable at the moment.

Now with some foresight, you're probably right that you should probably want to be part of a franchise/sport that is on upswing if it's inevitable anyways. Just not sure Rogers thought that Bell and Larry would go to the effort to do it themselves.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,898

Post#116 » by Merit » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:14 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
ontnut wrote:Also FWIW:

My season tickets for TFC in 2011 were $350 which would be the equivalent of $500 today... good seats too.

If any of the professional Women's sports leagues is going to work, it will be the WNBA. Hockey will never work in the US and Soccer is still building the men's leagues at the club level. Football/Baseball obviously don't work. If there is a bet to be made on Women's professional sports, it's basketball.

I remember that early 2010's era. My girlfriend's dad at the time was a soccer coach, so they got seasons, and one of my fondest memories is watching the Mexican youth team play.

As for women's sports - I think soccer will work for sure, but you're right, they have to get MLS sorted first. I think hockey will fly as well - even in the States - but basketball is the most universally accessible. There are a ton of ladies playing soccer, basketball and hockey who would take their daughters to games down the road. Never mind men with daughters who are equally motivated to see them pursue professional sports.

TLDR: Basketball will be a great litmus test for the future of women's pro sports - especially with the arrival of Caitlin Clark.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#117 » by Merit » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:15 pm

Beerpapi wrote:The Vegas season ticket situation is basically a “discount for locals”. Game by game tickets for tourists will be expensive.

Most mid market teams do this in many sports. The Sky vs Fever ticket price in the post above being a good example. Happens too in NCAA football. Years ago I wanted to go watch Notre Dame football at Pitt. I bought Pitt seasons tickets and donated all the games I wasn’t go to go to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Was much much cheaper than trying to buy tickets for just the one high profile game.

Cheerleaders will say wow they sold out!!
Nay sayers will say hold on it’s a cheap price.
It’s just a sales tactic not one or the other.

Great tip - solid of you to donate the balance.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Merit » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:18 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Jays are really the only show time town all summer. If the women's team becomes a winner, you bet all the bandwagoners would be attending/watching basketball. Why even bother attempting to lose all that for an investment that isn't the most profitable at the moment.

Now with some foresight, you're probably right that you should probably want to be part of a franchise/sport that is on upswing if it's inevitable anyways. Just not sure Rogers thought that Bell and Larry would go to the effort to do it themselves.

Rogers seems to be the most inept of all the protected Canadian giants. Infighting/idiocy/narcissism for the loss. I can't stand Ed from the very little I know about him. I'm thankful that we have Larry because he's the one who takes the good kind of risks and puts his ego aside.
I believe in Masai.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#119 » by Ell Curry » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:58 pm

The lack of major college basketball mattering here and the G League team doing well means the market is pretty open I think.
Where's the D?
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,974

Post#120 » by Potential » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:00 pm

We should try to bid for a ncaa women's college team not a wnba team. It's 100x more popular

Return to Toronto Raptors