ImageImageImageImageImage

Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,391

Re: Larry T's Co bidding for WNBA team? 

Post#121 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:24 pm

Potential wrote:We should try to bid for a ncaa women's college team not a wnba team. It's 100x more popular

High School/College sports culture doesn't exist in Canada. It's totally different in the US, which is why it would never work here.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#122 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:01 pm

years ago I met Diana Taurasi during one of UCONN's practices. My uncle knew Geno (this was before he started his historic streak but still pretty well known in womens basketball) so I had the privilege to watch one of their practices and games (it was in Syracuse). Just a cool experience. Diana at the time was labeled the female michael jordan - she was incredible. that's my womens basketball story for the day
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#123 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#124 » by HiJiNX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:34 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Love to see it
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#125 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:31 am

Women’s basketball is much much more entertaining and better than even a decade ago.

They are so fundamentally sound. It’s a different experience than watching mens.

With that said, the athleticism and speed of women’s game is also much higher than it was in the recent past as well.

This is coming from a guy who has never previously enjoyed watching women’s basketball.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#126 » by Mark_83 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:40 am

Larry better hurry up before Bueckers or JuJu declare. :D
Corson27
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#127 » by Corson27 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:03 pm

I'd be down for a WNBA team in Toronto. I was more excited by the women's tourney than the men's this year.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#128 » by GP2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 pm

WNBA draft tonight. Commish is hoping for 3 expansion teams within "the next few years." Toronto is in consideration.

Read on Twitter
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#129 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:24 am

Read on Twitter
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#130 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:40 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

The biggest advantage the women’s side probably has over the men’s side is the fact that these women are spending four years in college, learning the game and developing there, while also building up a name for themselves and following at the college level and national level through the national championship, that can carryover to the WNBA.

More grassroots and development focused.

Compared to the men’s side, where they are all just rushing to the NBA, unprepared for the game, and struggle to live up to the hype based on draft ranking.
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 543

Post#131 » by SpezNc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:58 am

WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Obviously no one is in the know but do we have an educated guess as when we could get news?
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#132 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:38 am

JB7 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

The biggest advantage the women’s side probably has over the men’s side is the fact that these women are spending four years in college, learning the game and developing there, while also building up a name for themselves and following at the college level and national level through the national championship, that can carryover to the WNBA.

Compared to the men’s side, where they are all just rushing to the NBA, unprepared for the game, and struggle to live up to the hype based on draft ranking.

I agree the interest in, and quality of, the men's game has been hurt by the transfer portal, NIL, and 1 and done. But I still wonder if the popularity of the women's college game will last or was it a 1-2 year phenomenon based on the unique appeal of Caitlin Clark.

I know I will make a point to watch some of her WNBA games where I usually can't watch more than a few minutes.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Post#133 » by raptorforlife88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 am

I do think next year the ratings will inevitably be lower without Caitlin Clark, but the tournament helped spotlight a few players.

Paige Beuckers is definitely a draw. She doesn't get the chance to dominate the ball like Caitlin did but I think she could put up stupid numbers if she was allowed to.

Pity we can't have a team immediately. Drafting Paige would have been huge.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#134 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:27 am

raptorforlife88 wrote:I do think next year the ratings will inevitably be lower without Caitlin Clark, but the tournament helped spotlight a few players.

Paige Beuckers is definitely a draw. She doesn't get the chance to dominate the ball like Caitlin did but I think she could put up stupid numbers if she was allowed to.

Pity we can't have a team immediately. Drafting Paige would have been huge.

Total fk up by Rogers, just focused on their baseball interests. The delay will just end up costing toronto WNBA OWNERS more $$$s... they had their chance to buy low.... that moment has passed..... Canadian men's and women's basketball talent is at an all time high.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#135 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:09 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

I agree the interest in, and quality of, the men's game has been hurt by the transfer portal, NIL, and 1 and done. But I still wonder if the popularity of the women's college game will last or was it a 1-2 year phenomenon based on the unique appeal of Caitlin Clark.

I know I will make a point to watch some of her WNBA games where I usually can't watch more than a few minutes.

Losing CC will hurt, but they are doing so well marketing the women's college game, and it is just easier because they have talent around longer for viewers to get attached too. They'll find another CC to market.

The NIL might actually help the men's game, if it brings players back to college, and possibly becomes a reason for them to stay a bit longer, because they have more ability to profit off their name at that level vs having a limited impact an NBA team.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,697

Post#136 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 pm

JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:

Losing CC will hurt, but they are doing so well marketing the women's college game, and it is just easier because they have talent around longer for viewers to get attached too. They'll find another CC to market.

The NIL might actually help the men's game, if it brings players back to college, and possibly becomes a reason for them to stay a bit longer, because they have more ability to profit off their name at that level vs having a limited impact an NBA team.

Paige Bueckers fits the profile, she'll be the star next year.

I assume NCAA women's basketball interest will remain strong regionally but not sure they can maintain the national profile that CC brought
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM

Post#137 » by WuTang_OG » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:21 am

Read on Twitter
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#138 » by TimeForChange » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
JB7 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Paige Bueckers fits the profile, she'll be the star next year.

I assume NCAA women's basketball interest will remain strong regionally but not sure they can maintain the national profile that CC brought

don't forget about juju watkins...think she's the best player in college next season
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#139 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

Obligatory Ed Rogers is a myopic, silver-spoon moron who is legitimately laughed at by other high-ranking Rogers leaders internally.

Wasn't surprised that Mar-a-Lago Ed didn't want to pay somebody "like" Masai after the 'chip, not surprised he didn't want to invest in women's sports.

I hope Larry makes this happen.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#140 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:22 am

Badonkadonk wrote:Obligatory Ed Rogers is a myopic, silver-spoon moron who is legitimately laughed at by other high-ranking Rogers leaders internally.

Wasn't surprised that Mar-a-Lago Ed didn't want to pay somebody "like" Masai after the 'chip, not surprised he didn't want to invest in women's sports.

I hope Larry makes this happen.

Yep... at the next expansion, wanna hear "Toronto" and will follow the team, even though I no longer livebin Canada... will be supporting our teams at the Paris Olympics 2024... Our women's team is top 3 ranked... Hope Rogers, like the company, like their stock, continue to tank... he deserves it.

Return to Toronto Raptors