ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#41 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:21 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:OP needs to be sponsored by Kleenex at this point.

Kleenex has left the country.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,801

Post#42 » by Dennis 37 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:29 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Kelly/Ochai/Brown aren’t lighting the world on fire b it we still got a couple more picks. Hopefully trade Browns useless ass too for something.

I can’t believe dudes here actually think these guys comprise a decent return for a player of Siakam’s calibre. We clearly sold low because we held on for too long.

Yes we should have traded earlier, but that didn't happen.

Nobody here thinks we wouldn't have gotten more a year earlier.

We got what the market would offer at the time we made him available.

What people are saying is a final evaluation cannot be made until Brown is traded and the picks are picked.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,525

Post#43 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:33 am

It's almost like they didn't prioritize winning in the short term????

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#44 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:42 am

Vampirate wrote:
alpngso wrote:Pacers fan - Siakam trade for Brown and 3 picks has shown nothing in the effect. 11-11, .500 ball with Pacers playing worse than before the Siakam trade

Siakam has a 61% TS on your team, he's not the issue here, your issue is your team can't defend and Siakam wasn't going to solve that.

lol, he's saying that's what Pacers fans say. Dudes a Rap fans. Trade was fair. Money and willingness to re-sign matter.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#45 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:44 am

TheGeneral99 wrote:
C_Money wrote:Not the Siakam trade. Its all the other players that left for nothing over the past 4 years thats showing its effect.

Who are all these other players Mr. Captain Hindsight?

Fred? Who no one expected to get 43m from any team last summer, LOL?

Or maybe it was expected. Or at least anticipated. Which would explain the lack of offers for a rental player.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#46 » by bballsparkin » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:49 am

2019nbachamps wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Kelly/Ochai/Brown aren’t lighting the world on fire b it we still got a couple more picks. Hopefully trade Browns useless ass too for something.

I can’t believe dudes here actually think these guys comprise a decent return for a player of Siakam’s calibre. We clearly sold low because we held on for too long.

Maybe they sold low because the offers were low? His defence has been slipping. Offence is limited due to shot and his old school like approach. Plus he wants big money and to chose his team. I doubt the offers were ever great enough to say okay lets trade him. Gobert and Mitchell were hard acts to follow. And playoff money/tampa losses are real.

Fair trade in a not so ideal situation. Moving on.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,914

Post#47 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:10 am

Ya the trade was absolutely horrible in terms of getting value but thats what happens when you let it get that far for an expiring Siakam who was saying he wanted to test free agency. What can you expect a team to trade for a guy who can leave for nothing in a few months

2 of our 3 picks are in a draft most teams want no part of, including us as evident with the Poeltl trade. Then the same people will waive those picks around like a prize in this trade lol.

Now with that said, Masai has shown himself to be a great drafter so he could easily hit the jackpot with those picks to make this look like a fair or even good trade. Let's see...
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,371

Post#48 » by Scase » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:07 am

goinrogue wrote:Trade isn’t finished. We’re clearly not keeping Bruce brown so let’s see what we get in that deal. See who we get with the draft picks, etc. I’m deeply disappointed with brown so far but his age and past work still make him worth a 1st round pick. Think we can get a second for Jordan too.

Yeah, I'm tired of the constant "Just wait until the deadline/off season, we'll definitely trade him and get value then." It's always wait, and then you wait and you either lose a player for nothing, or get a weak return.

Browns entire value was that he could have the last year declined. Now, he cannot be traded without the raps picking up that last year. And with the way he's been playing, why would anyone want to trade anything of value for that.
Props TZ!
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 458

Post#49 » by 6ixpessant » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:01 am

You can only acquire what one will give you. I keep trying to get a Maybach for my Kia, but no takers yet.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#50 » by Rapsalot » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:32 am

Wait what 2 of the first round draft picks have not even been drafted let alone developed? $40+ mil in cap space to help sign IQ.
I’m critical of FO all the time but it will be 5 years before you can grade the trade fairly.
I’m not sure if we sign Bruce or let him walk but we have not even seen effects of that.
Would I have liked a young prospect along with picks yes but no one was looking to trade for a guy that wants $50 min per year end of the season. If you want to bash FO it was for not trading PS in the offseason last year when more value could have been had.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,677

Post#51 » by Mattatron » Thu Mar 7, 2024 11:54 am

alpngso wrote:Pacers fan - Siakam trade for Brown and 3 picks has shown nothing in the effect. 11-11, .500 ball with Pacers playing worse than before the Siakam trade

Haliburton was on a Minute Restriction for basically 3 weeks. Of course u can't see the impact for the pacers after that trade.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,519

Post#52 » by mtcan » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:23 pm

You have Ochai and Kelly O to show for it.

You think that Utah trade was about them getting Otto Porter Jr's injured body?

A late first round pick in a weak draft for a good backup center and a 3 and D prospect? That isn't nothing.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,612

Post#53 » by 2019nbachamps » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:31 pm

Scase wrote:
goinrogue wrote:Trade isn’t finished. We’re clearly not keeping Bruce brown so let’s see what we get in that deal. See who we get with the draft picks, etc. I’m deeply disappointed with brown so far but his age and past work still make him worth a 1st round pick. Think we can get a second for Jordan too.

Yeah, I'm tired of the constant "Just wait until the deadline/off season, we'll definitely trade him and get value then." It's always wait, and then you wait and you either lose a player for nothing, or get a weak return.

Browns entire value was that he could have the last year declined. Now, he cannot be traded without the raps picking up that last year. And with the way he's been playing, why would anyone want to trade anything of value for that.

Their hope is admirable considering our FO has whiffed on nearly everything the past 4 years.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,686

Post#54 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:43 pm

I don't know, 2014 1st round pick has played well in his limited minutes, although 2016 first round pick doesn't look quite ready yet. Maybe as the season goes on, those two improve.
JPriest
Senior
And1: 843

Post#55 » by JPriest » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:54 pm

from what we've seen over the past two seasons, Siakam's just not that impactful of a player anymore when it comes to winning and the Raptors not having to pay him the max is a blessing. he's a hard player to build around and his defensive breakdowns just destroy morale and momentum. he needs the ball in his hands too much and a **** ton of space to create any offence for himself. he's pretty much useless otherwise. $50 million a year over 4 years would be tough to swallow and it's becoming apparent Masai was right in not offering him the max. i would've predicted it would become an anchor on the books the team would have to attach assets to to get rid of probably sooner rather than later. other NBA GMs do their homework on this guy and it looks like the good offers weren't out there because he's not that good of a player. oh well, the team had to move on from him.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,188

Post#56 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Mar 7, 2024 1:34 pm

I do respect Masai for trading him to a team that he wanted to go to. I'm sure that had a factor in the lackluster return. All in all, we're clearly tanking. and we'll see if this year's draft class is as bad as they say it is. Maybe we see a few players that can be steals, wouldn't be the first time..
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,878

Post#57 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:08 pm

C_Money wrote:
TheGeneral99 wrote:
C_Money wrote:Not the Siakam trade. Its all the other players that left for nothing over the past 4 years thats showing its effect.

Who are all these other players Mr. Captain Hindsight?

Fred? Who no one expected to get 43m from any team last summer, LOL?

Why don’t you take a look at the 18/19 roster and you’ll find your answer.

Okay, so let's actually examine this.

You wanted us to trade Kawhi before won the championship in 2019? Are you serious? That's one of the most absurd statements I've ever heard. so your logic is that we should have decided not go for the chip because Kawhi was going to leave so we should've traded him earlier?

You wanted to trade Ibaka and Gasol during a season where we had the 2nd seed and were on pace for 60 wins and took Boston to a 7 game series in the 2nd round? Also, thank god we didn't resign Ibaka and Gasol because both were washed the season after.

We didn't trade Lowry for nothing...we got Precious, which was used in the OG trade to get back Barrett and Quickley.

Anybody else that I'm missing here, lol?
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,251

Post#58 » by God Squad » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:14 pm

OP and the Rest that keep crying

ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,149

Post#59 » by ItsDanger » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:18 pm

When you trade a key player for draft picks and bench players, it's likely to hurt team performance overall. Yet, the team overall has been in slow decline in recent seasons. Explanations provided are often ignored. Bottom line, talent must be replaced.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,063

Post#60 » by Indeed » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:36 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

Maybe they sold low because the offers were low? His defence has been slipping. Offence is limited due to shot and his old school like approach. Plus he wants big money and to chose his team. I doubt the offers were ever great enough to say okay lets trade him. Gobert and Mitchell were hard acts to follow. And playoff money/tampa losses are real.

Fair trade in a not so ideal situation. Moving on.

Or there is no such fair trade exists.
People here want to trade Siakam, and they should be happy with their wishes.

Front office has been doing exactly what the people asked for, no? Getting more shooters, building around Barnes. If they think Barnes can carry the team to win (more than against sub .500 teams), then this is on Barnes, otherwise, this is on those people with too much expectation.

Return to Toronto Raptors