ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#341 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

Chandan wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
would you trade 3 low-mid 1sts for Bradley Beal? He's on a long term contract, so we don't need to worry about losing him

No because Beals making the supermax and has been injured/performing like crap. Whereas Siakam has been much healthier, performed at a much higher level more recently, won a championship as a proven number 2/3 and would earn less than Beal.

My point wasnt even to not trade Siakam but if you decided you werent going to re-sign him then trade the man asap. Masai held on too long where he had 0 leverage. Youre gonna have to find a better comparable for how Siakam has been performing more recently.

Are you not satisfied with Bruce Brown coming back as the main piece?

Bruce was the main piece?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,993

Post#342 » by Coco Costanza » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:27 am

bballsparkin wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:What the hells even being discussed in this thread? The trade was horrible simply because of the desperate position Masai put himself in.

If the Raptors are able to get a multiple time allstar/all nba player for Bruce, scrubs and those 3 level of picks this offseason... everyone would sign up asap.

Arguing otherwise just makes you look so damn homerish. Hope MLSE is atleast paying some of you folks for these takes lol.

What trade option for Pascal was better? I'll wait,...that's right you don't know.

I thought you said you were going to wait?
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Post#343 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:28 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
No because Beals making the supermax and has been injured/performing like crap. Whereas Siakam has been much healthier, performed at a much higher level more recently, won a championship as a proven number 2/3 and would earn less than Beal.

My point wasnt even to not trade Siakam but if you decided you werent going to re-sign him then trade the man asap. Masai held on too long where he had 0 leverage. Youre gonna have to find a better comparable for how Siakam has been performing more recently.

Chandan's a big Bruce Brown fan, dude was really excited at the time of the trade. He kept talking about how Brown was a key player for the Nugget's championship run.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,143

Post#344 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:45 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Chandan's a big Bruce Brown fan, dude was really excited at the time of the trade. He kept talking about how Brown was a key player for the Nugget's championship run.

You can see my excitement seeping through (NOT) in this thread: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2349286&start=40. Interesting to relive it. One thing team mediocre should enjoy is that most of the people replying in that thread nolonger posts.

It was hard to get excited about the late FRPs when I was told whoever we draft wont be as good as Poeltl anyway.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#345 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Bruce was the main piece?

You can see my excitement seeping through (NOT) in this thread: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2349286&start=40. Interesting to relive it. One thing team mediocre should enjoy is that most of the people replying in that thread nolonger posts.

It was hard to get excited about the late FRPs when I was told whoever we draft wont be as good as Poeltl anyway.

Look on page 69:

Chandan wrote:after watching some highlights, I'm stoked we got Bruce Brown!! He's way better than the three 1st round picks combined and should be considered the main piece of this trade. Brown was a key player in the Nugget's championship run. I can see us making the play-in and ending up in the finals with Brown!
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,155

Post#346 » by PoundTown » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

Bruce brown was a key piece, and 6th best player for the nuggs last run. And he was also solid as a starter for the pacers. But he’s been hot garbage for us.

I thought the raps could have at least gotten nembhard. No way did I think we wouldn’t have received a single young player from the pacers, so the trade is a little disappointing that way.
Chandan
RealGM

Post#347 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

Look on page 69:

Chandan wrote:after watching some highlights, I'm stoked we got Bruce Brown!! He's way better than the three 1st round picks combined and should be considered the main piece of this trade. Brown was a key player in the Nugget's championship run. I can see us making the play-in and ending up in the finals with Brown!

You're right! I TOTALLY went to Brown town!
We traded a lottery pick for a top 10 championship level center, of course a championship level guard > 3 mid 20s pick.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#348 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:

Look on page 69:

We traded a lottery pick for a top 10 championship level center, of course a championship level guard > 3 mid 20s pick.

Look at the post above yours. You used your burner account to defend your position. Look at the timing, lmao:

Chandan wrote:Bruce brown was a key piece, and 6th best player for the nuggs last run. And he was also solid as a starter for the pacers. But he’s been hot garbage for us.

Are you denying that you said this:

Chandan wrote:Are you not satisfied with Bruce Brown coming back as the main piece?

it's only a few posts back. So you wouldn't trade Bruce Brown for three 1st rounders, lmao

That's 3 posts where you're hyping up Bruce Brown now
Chandan
RealGM

Post#349 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Look on page 69:

Look at the post above yours. You used your burner account to defend your position. Look at the timing, lmao:

Chandan wrote:Bruce brown was a key piece, and 6th best player for the nuggs last run. And he was also solid as a starter for the pacers. But he’s been hot garbage for us.

Are you denying that you said this:

Chandan wrote:Are you not satisfied with Bruce Brown coming back as the main piece?

it's only a few posts back. So you wouldn't trade Bruce Brown for three 1st rounders, lmao

That's 3 posts where you're hyping up Bruce Brown now

You need to understand winning culture and championship pedigree. If someone like Yakob is a championship level center despite never having sniffed the finals and has been on losing teams for like 80% of his career, then Bruce Brown is a bonafide certified championship caliber WINNER. If Yakob is worth a lottery pick, then how is Brown not worth more than 3 mid FRPs? these 3 picks are unlikely to produce better players than Brown, Masai will probably get a draft a bunch of ochai or banton level players who will never contribute to winning.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#350 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am

bballsparkin wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:What the hells even being discussed in this thread? The trade was horrible simply because of the desperate position Masai put himself in.

If the Raptors are able to get a multiple time allstar/all nba player for Bruce, scrubs and those 3 level of picks this offseason... everyone would sign up asap.

Arguing otherwise just makes you look so damn homerish. Hope MLSE is atleast paying some of you folks for these takes lol.

What trade option for Pascal was better? I'll wait,...that's right you don't know. Neither do I. I believe it wasn't nearly as big as many of you assumed it to have been. And many are not considering salary. The Pascal trade was a win salary wise in a tight financial market. Potentially. The Poeltl trade I do not like either. Yet lets not forget Birch's final season wasn't dumped. Following the NHL and it's hard cap structure shows the importance of financial flexibility and the cost to acquire it.

Don't put yourself in quite literally the worst bargaining position possible, and maybe you extract more value. Wild concept. Keep dealing from a position of disadvantage, and yeah even the rumoured trades will look bad.

I agree that Siakams value was greatly overstated by a lot of fans, but suggesting that what we got for him was ok, because it was the best possible return is nonsense, when the reason it was such a bad return was due to poor management.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Masai was either wrong building a team with Siakam being "the guy" for 4 years, or Siakam had value and he ruined it and was stuck with a bad trade return. No matter which way you look at it, he **** up royally.
Props TZ!
Chandan
RealGM

Post#351 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:46 am

Scase wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

What trade option for Pascal was better? I'll wait,...that's right you don't know. Neither do I. I believe it wasn't nearly as big as many of you assumed it to have been. And many are not considering salary. The Pascal trade was a win salary wise in a tight financial market. Potentially. The Poeltl trade I do not like either. Yet lets not forget Birch's final season wasn't dumped. Following the NHL and it's hard cap structure shows the importance of financial flexibility and the cost to acquire it.

Don't put yourself in quite literally the worst bargaining position possible, and maybe you extract more value. Wild concept. Keep dealing from a position of disadvantage, and yeah even the rumoured trades will look bad.

I agree that Siakams value was greatly overstated by a lot of fans, but suggesting that what we got for him was ok, because it was the best possible return is nonsense, when the reason it was such a bad return was due to poor management.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Masai was either wrong building a team with Siakam being "the guy" for 4 years, or Siakam had value and he ruined it and was stuck with a bad trade return. No matter which way you look at it, he **** up royally.

What if i choose neither? I can blame Canada? Ed Rogers? COVID? Masai being too HUMAN? Championship fatigue? Al Horford clotheslining TJ Ford? GARBO freak leg injury? you are just whining for being too negative!
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#352 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

What if i choose neither? I can blame Canada? Ed Rogers? COVID? Masai being too HUMAN? Championship fatigue? Al Horford clotheslining TJ Ford? GARBO freak leg injury? you are just whining for being too negative!

Definitely Ed Rogers fault, no doubt about it. I heard that he said if Masai tried to tank he would kill him in the streets, it's why we won't tank, it's 100% MLSEs fault.
Props TZ!
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#353 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

Chandan wrote:You need to understand winning culture and championship pedigree. If someone like Yakob is a championship level center despite never having sniffed the finals and has been on losing teams for like 80% of his career, then Bruce Brown is a bonafide certified championship caliber WINNER. If Yakob is worth a lottery pick, then how is Brown not worth more than 3 mid FRPs? these 3 picks are unlikely to produce better players than Brown, Masai will probably get a draft a bunch of ochai or banton level players who will never contribute to winning.

Suggest a better executive we can realistically hire to run the FO. If you have zero suggestions, then there's no point in the incessant whining and stupid takes is there?

LOL at criticizing Masai's drafting ability. Even with some misses and stupid decisions, I'd rather have Masai drafting than most other GM's in the league. Definitely would not want someone like you making draft decisions

The rebuild started a year late. Lost FVV for nothing. We gave up a #7 2024 or a ? 2025 pick to the Spurs for a mid-level role player in Poeltl. Siakam was traded for 3 mid-late 1sts, which was probably what was offered the year prior. But using the same strategy, we hit a homerun trade with OG by waiting and staying patient.

You win some, you lose some. As it is, we've rebuilt better and faster than several rebuilding teams out there. Learn to live with some disappointment.
Chandan
RealGM

Post#354 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:You need to understand winning culture and championship pedigree. If someone like Yakob is a championship level center despite never having sniffed the finals and has been on losing teams for like 80% of his career, then Bruce Brown is a bonafide certified championship caliber WINNER. If Yakob is worth a lottery pick, then how is Brown not worth more than 3 mid FRPs? these 3 picks are unlikely to produce better players than Brown, Masai will probably get a draft a bunch of ochai or banton level players who will never contribute to winning.

Suggest a better executive we can realistically hire to run the FO. If you have zero suggestions, then there's no point in the incessant whining and stupid takes is there?

LOL at criticizing Masai's drafting ability. Even with some misses and stupid decisions, I'd rather have Masai drafting than most other GM's in the league. Definitely would not want someone like you making draft decisions

The rebuild started a year late. Lost FVV for nothing. We gave up a #7 2024 or a ? 2025 pick to the Spurs for a mid-level role player in Poeltl. Siakam was traded for 3 mid-late 1sts, which was probably what was offered the year prior. But using the same strategy, we hit a homerun trade with OG by waiting and staying patient.

You win some, you lose some. As it is, we've rebuilt better and faster than several rebuilding teams out there. Learn to live with some disappointment.

What about Bruce Brown ties into any of this? Look at my post at page 52. I've already said Masai is the greatest.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#355 » by RoteSchroder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:05 am

Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

What about Bruce Brown ties into any of this? Look at my post at page 52. I've already said Masai is the greatest.

Just pointing out how lame the whining is. Karen's tend to not realize they're Karen's.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#356 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

Who’s the all-star? Is it Lavine? Or a 30 year old fringe all-star starting a max deal, like Siakam? How about Beal?

Because if it is an all-star of that caliber, I’d rather patiently stick it out with the current squad.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#357 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:24 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

would you trade 3 low-mid 1sts for Bradley Beal? He's on a long term contract, so we don't need to worry about losing him

Or maybe he traded him a year later for roughly the same package/value?

Trade discussions tend to get leaked after deals are made. I saw no report of the Raptors taking a loss on Siakam return by waiting.

Last year Mathurin or the #7 were not on the table for Siakam from Indiana. It was late 20s picks and future picks. And let’s not forget Siakam did the Raptors no favours in trade talks with other teams. He wasn’t committing to anyone other than Indiana.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,515

Post#358 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm

KrazyP wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
I was obviously using an exaggerated argument to make a point.

When a deal is made for future picks - you have to evaluate based on expected value which you can ascertain from years and years of draft history. The average mid 1st round pick over the last 20 years roughly equals Delon Wright. The average late 1st rounder is a scrub. In general, mid to late 1st rounders DO NOT have that much value especially in drafts considered 'weak'.

The return on the Siakam trade was poor because management backed themselves into a corner and lost all leverage.

Nobody was ever going to give up a top prospect or top pick for him. People's expectations were just unrealistic.

Who were all these great young players the Raps turned down? Teams aren't lining up to give you their young future star for Siakam.

Things like age and salary matter. A soon to be 30 year old who will command 45-50 million a season just isn't the huge asset many people think he is, even if they traded him last year.

If the Raps were trading for Siakam, would you offer Barnes? Or would you offer what every other team offered, a bunch of middle tier prospects and picks?

As fans, we obviously aren't privy to private trade conversations that happen across the league. We can only judge results. The result here is that we ended up trading an all-star level player in his prime for a package of middling picks, 2 of which are from a draft in which picks have been traded around like candy because it is universally percieved as weak.

Nobody here is claiming we should have gotten a Barnes level prospect in return. That said, you would think the package should have included at least a mid-tier lotto pick OR simply a starting level prospect like Kuminga, Mathurin, JJohnson or eqiuvalent. If you had dealt him at last years draft, it is way more likely the Pacers #7 or a lotto pick from another team could have been in play.

For a frame of reference - We gave up a higher pick to acquire Poeltl than any pick we got in return for Siakam......fans that are happy with the Siakam return should be extremely dissapointed with the Poeltl trade or vice versa....you cant really have it both ways.

The argument that Siakam's trade value was depressed because he's looking for a contract is fair but its not enough to justify moving him for a package that is essentially fodder and will require a significant degree of random luck to turn into anything close to needle moving.
Shams already reported that the Pacers never offered one of their better young players. Nor did Atlanta ever offer JJ. They wouldn't even put Bufkin in a trade. The deal reported involved Griffin, a lower tier prospect.

These young players you're naming were just based on hope, not actual facts.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#359 » by bluerap23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:46 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:

Look on page 69:

Damn Chandan - he pulled the receipts on you :lol:
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#360 » by anotherhomer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 pm

Scase wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

that may sound too harsh
not the best trade, but the media is pointing out is not as bad it seem
it be nice to get a blue-chip prospect tho
the trade offer from hawks wasn't necessarily better as aj griffin has really gone poorly
de'andre hunter be nice though

Thing is that, raps had to make this trade to move on with the Scottie Barnes era.
sure they could had traded pascal in 2023 deadline but scottie didn't take that jump yet

Return to Toronto Raptors