ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,699

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#861 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:01 pm

agkagk wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:The dragic deal was bad, everyone still remembers that. Bad is bad, good is good.

Players are different than picks though. I can guarantee that if the Raps select an allstar (or close) level player at 19, right or wrong, it changes the perception of the deal.

Trade all our pricks and brown for kuminga

Barrett quick kuminga Barnes Jakob

Problem solved.

They are such a tax team, likely just McDaniels and picks for Kuminga. Maybe they would accept Ochai Agbaji and picks for Kuminga?
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,768

Post#862 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:13 pm

Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:The dragic deal was bad, everyone still remembers that. Bad is bad, good is good.

Players are different than picks though. I can guarantee that if the Raps select an allstar (or close) level player at 19, right or wrong, it changes the perception of the deal.

I've said this multiple times, and I'll say it again. The player selected has no bearing on the quality of the trade, unless you trade for that specific player to be picked on your behalf.

Picks have inherent value. Trading a prime lebron straight up for the 41st pick that was used on Jokic is still a horrendous trade, no matter if you got Jokic. Vasquez is seen as a great trade because he turned nothing into something, the Siakam trade is bordering on trading something into nothing.

Vasquez was traded for the 23rd and 46th pick. Siakam so far has been traded for the 29th, 19th, and likely a 20th-ish pick. Not really that far off, and Siakam is 50x the player Vasquez is/was.

The players selected do matter though. The point of the trade was to get younger and cheaper and if you get good players with those assets, the deal becomes a win for the Raps regardless of whether people think they got enough or not. Don't see how getting potentially 2-3 rotation players on rookie deals is somehow a bad thing for a rebuilding team.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,135

Post#863 » by DelAbbot » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 pm

will wrote:Because Masai waited too long to make a deal. It's not that deep. Don't need an entire thread about this.

agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,904

Post#864 » by agkagk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 pm

Psubs wrote:
agkagk wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Problem solved.

They are such a tax team, likely just McDaniels and picks for Kuminga. Maybe they would accept Ochai Agbaji and picks for Kuminga?

Bursting my own bubble; their management made it clear theyll only entertain trading kuminga for a star.

Shawn kemp 2.0
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 593

Post#865 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm

The fact that they waited too long to move Pascal should be clear (they lost almost all leverage by dragging it out like they did). But, in terms of evaluating the assets we got back, why are folks so quick to dismiss the Pacers' 2026 pick? That team is mid as is and Pascal and will be two years older. A turned ankle by one of their key players, and that pick can easily be in the lottery in what is shaping up to be a very strong draft. That'll be a really nice trade piece or addition as our core matures and becomes more expensive.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,314

Post#866 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 pm

brownbobcat wrote:The team that won 48 games did not add Poeltl.

The 2021-22 Raptors that won 48 games was

FVV/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Barnes with key bench players being Precious/Thad/Boucher

The 2022-23 Raptors that added Poeltl was:

FVV/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Barnes with key bench players being Precious/Thad/Boucher and we added Koloko

You cant even seem to agree on the FACTS so how can you possibly have an OPINION?

So yeah... The 2021-22 team is unarguable proof the ceiling was not .500
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#867 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:16 pm

Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

I've said this multiple times, and I'll say it again. The player selected has no bearing on the quality of the trade, unless you trade for that specific player to be picked on your behalf.

Picks have inherent value. Trading a prime lebron straight up for the 41st pick that was used on Jokic is still a horrendous trade, no matter if you got Jokic. Vasquez is seen as a great trade because he turned nothing into something, the Siakam trade is bordering on trading something into nothing.

Vasquez was traded for the 23rd and 46th pick. Siakam so far has been traded for the 29th, 19th, and likely a 20th-ish pick. Not really that far off, and Siakam is 50x the player Vasquez is/was.

using arguably the greatest heist in a different era of the NBA and CBA to use as evidence of a bad trade is just flawed logic.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,942
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#868 » by will » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:23 pm

agkagk wrote:
Psubs wrote:
agkagk wrote:

Problem solved.

Bursting my own bubble; their management made it clear theyll only entertain trading kuminga for a star.

Shawn kemp 2.0

Shawn Kemp 2.0 on the court?

Or

Shawn Kemp off the court?
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Post#869 » by ash_k » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

FVV/GTJ/OG/Siakam/Barnes with key bench players being Precious/Thad/Boucher and we added Koloko

You cant even seem to agree on the FACTS so how can you possibly have an OPINION?

to add to your FACTS, that 2021-22 season, OG played 48 games:
We went 31-17 (0.645 good for 2nd seed) with him and 17-17 without him.

And now we have seen his full impact on the New York Knicks! Our potential was immense!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,919

Post#870 » by Agimat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
will wrote:Because Masai waited too long to make a deal. It's not that deep. Don't need an entire thread about this.

:lol: wb homez!
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,491

Post#871 » by Scase » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:54 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

The players selected do matter though. The point of the trade was to get younger and cheaper and if you get good players with those assets, the deal becomes a win for the Raps regardless of whether people think they got enough or not. Don't see how getting potentially 2-3 rotation players on rookie deals is somehow a bad thing for a rebuilding team.

Yeah if you get good players. My point is, that if you trade Siakam for a 1st OA pick, or trade him for 3 picks in the 20's one of those is objectively a better trade than the other.

Trading for 3 picks that have a low % chance of actually playing out isn't all of a sudden a good trade because you got lucky on one of them.

Again, trading prime lebron for a SRP that turns into Jokic is a bad trade no matter how you look at it. Trading him for 5 top 5 picks that all bust is still a better trade. You can flip those top 5 picks into other good players as they have inherent value, no one is sending you anything of value for a pick in the early to late 20's.

Unless you think you can go and convince the bucks to send us Giannis for a couple early SRPs cause you know "The trade isn't bad until you see the players you draft". It's utter nonsense. Picks hold value irrespective of who is inevitably picked with them. This is not a controversial or even subjective statement.
Props TZ!
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,768

Post#872 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:14 pm

Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:I've said this multiple times, and I'll say it again. The player selected has no bearing on the quality of the trade, unless you trade for that specific player to be picked on your behalf.

Yeah if you get good players. My point is, that if you trade Siakam for a 1st OA pick, or trade him for 3 picks in the 20's one of those is objectively a better trade than the other.

Trading for 3 picks that have a low % chance of actually playing out isn't all of a sudden a good trade because you got lucky on one of them.

Again, trading prime lebron for a SRP that turns into Jokic is a bad trade no matter how you look at it. Trading him for 5 top 5 picks that all bust is still a better trade. You can flip those top 5 picks into other good players as they have inherent value, no one is sending you anything of value for a pick in the early to late 20's.

Unless you think you can go and convince the bucks to send us Giannis for a couple early SRPs cause you know "The trade isn't bad until you see the players you draft". It's utter nonsense. Picks hold value irrespective of who is inevitably picked with them. This is not a controversial or even subjective statement.

I think a lot of people just overestimated what a 30 year old looking for 1/4 billion dollars was going to bring back.

Expecting a superstar package for a non superstar was never realistic. He isn't Lebron. His isn't that tier of player. No team was giving up a top prospect or top pick for him. The Raps were always going to get a combination of mid-late picks and B/C tier prospects unless they traded him when he was in his mid 20s. If this type of package is unacceptable, you keep him and re-sign him.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,320

Post#873 » by brownbobcat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:24 pm

Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Logically, yes, a bad trade is a bad trade - but winning cures all ills and redeems all sins. If Babcock drafts Granger instead of Graham, we're not talking about the VC trade as one of the worst of all time. But he didn't.

And if Masai doesn't pull a rabbit out of the hat with these picks, he's going to get blasted further for a VC-level disaster regardless of the circumstances.
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#874 » by brownbobcat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:37 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:

I don't know why I should be surprised that you really don't understand how time works.

Players are not some kind of static, immutable constructs you can blindly add up to a team without looking at the whole.

It's not the same team.

If it were, the '23 Raptors ought to have been much better than the '22 Raptors.
If it were, the '23 Raptors wouldn't have been called selfish by Masai and he wouldn't have actively tried to trade vets
If it were, the '23 Raptors wouldn't have fired the coach who led them to those 48 wins and a championship.
If it were, the '24 Raptors with an improved Barnes and Schroder instead of FVV wouldn't have sucked as badly as they did.

But it wasn't the same team, regardless of the players being the same. So short of a time machine, they were never getting back to that level. Sheesh.

ash_k wrote:to add to your FACTS, that 2021-22 season, OG played 48 games:
We went 31-17 (0.645 good for 2nd seed) with him and 17-17 without him.

And now we have seen his full impact on the New York Knicks! Our potential was immense!

1. OG is always injured
2. He played 67 games in 2023 and they went 33-34 with him, 8-7 without.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#875 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:45 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

I don't know why I should be surprised that you really don't understand how time works.

Players are not some kind of static, immutable constructs you can blindly add up to a team without looking at the whole.

It's not the same team.

If it were, the '23 Raptors ought to have been much better than the '22 Raptors.
If it were, the '23 Raptors wouldn't have been called selfish by Masai and he wouldn't have actively tried to trade vets
If it were, the '23 Raptors wouldn't have fired the coach who led them to those 48 wins and a championship.
If it were, the '24 Raptors with an improved Barnes and Schroder instead of FVV wouldn't have sucked as badly as they did.

But it wasn't the same team, regardless of the players being the same. So short of a time machine, they were never getting back to that level. Sheesh.

So since players are not static, immutable constructs - then it would be ridiculous to say they have a .500 ceiling then, no? Come on man - just take the L and admit you slipped up and said something that made no sense. Anyone with a brain knew that the 2022-23 version of the team underachieved and that was not some "best case" scenario. No one went into that season saying
"well, this roster has a 41-41 ceiling". No one.

The 22-23 team vastly underachieved - it does not mean their ceiling was .500. .500 was damn near the absolute floor.

LOL at anyone who still thinks Schroder was anywhere near able to replace what FVV brought.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#876 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:46 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

I think a lot of people just overestimated what a 30 year old looking for 1/4 billion dollars was going to bring back.

Expecting a superstar package for a non superstar was never realistic. He isn't Lebron. His isn't that tier of player. No team was giving up a top prospect or top pick for him. The Raps were always going to get a combination of mid-late picks and B/C tier prospects unless they traded him when he was in his mid 20s. If this type of package is unacceptable, you keep him and re-sign him.

Pretty much was everyone was saying all along. People who were against trading Siakam was because they knew what the receiving package would entail.

It makes sense why there was such a group of people trying to get rid of him for so long... they thought he was going to return multiple lottery picks when that was never feasible. If it were - I would have signed up to trade him years ago.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,898

Post#877 » by Tacoma » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:53 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

using arguably the greatest heist in a different era of the NBA and CBA to use as evidence of a bad trade is just flawed logic.

The faithfulness of the example doesn't nullify the logic which I don't believe is flawed.

An analogy is a derivative in finance such as a call option that has it's own inherent value at a point in time. So if I buy a call option at Value X today, to buy IBM at $100 and IBM later goes up to $150, it doesn't change the fairness of option value of X today. That IBM later went up to $150 may mean you got lucky or just good at picking stocks.

Similarly, a draft pick has an inherent value & whether the pick eventually turns into a star or dud doesn't change the fairness of valuation of the pick when the trade was made. If it later turns into Siakam, it may means you got lucky or good at drafting.
Scase
RealGM

Post#878 » by Scase » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:54 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Scase wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

But I'm not talking about expecting a superstar return, I'm just stating that the players picked does not turn a bad trade into a good trade. You're focusing too much on the example, and not the reality. Picks have value, period. There is no discounting that, it is an objective statement.

A 1st is worth more than a 2nd, a 2nd is worth more than a 5th, and a 10th is worth more than a 20th. Again, this is all objective fact. Claiming that a trade is only able to be considered bad after the players are picked is again, nonsense. If Siakam was traded for a singular SRP, would you still be saying "Well just wait until we see the player we get"? No, you would say it's a bad trade, cause it is.

So far we received the 19th, 29th, and a fair estimate for 2026 based on current trends is the 20th.

The average outcome of a player picked in the 19th spot is 5% Star 15% Solid starter 20% Role player 50% Deep bench 10% Bust
The average outcome of a player picked in the 29th spot is 5% Star 10% Solid starter 10% Role player 30% Deep bench 20% Bust 25% never a minute in the NBA
The average outcome of a player picked in the 20th spot is 5% Star 10% Solid starter 35% Role player 30% Deep bench 20% Bust

The likelihood of getting 2-3 role players is statistically low, and when the likelihood of picking an actual usable player is low, the value of the pick is low as well. These picks inherently have low value. Getting lucky and finding a good one in the bunch does not in any way excuse the bad return of a trade, it simply makes it easier to swallow.

So again, I say to you. Do you think that the Bucks would take low value picks, if you argued to them "You don't know, maybe one of those picks could turn out great."?

The player being traded is not relevant, bad value is bad value.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#879 » by Scase » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:56 pm

Tacoma wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Scase wrote:I've said this multiple times, and I'll say it again. The player selected has no bearing on the quality of the trade, unless you trade for that specific player to be picked on your behalf.

The faithfulness of the example doesn't nullify the logic which I don't believe is flawed.

An analogy is a derivative in finance such as a call option that has it's own inherent value at a point in time. So if I buy a call option at Value X today, to buy IBM at $100 and IBM later goes up to $150, it doesn't change the fairness of option value of X today. That IBM later went up to $150 may mean you got lucky or just good at picking stocks.

Similarly, a draft pick has an inherent value & whether the pick eventually turns into a star or dud doesn't change the fairness of valuation of the pick when the trade was made. If it later turns into Siakam, it may means you got lucky or good at drafting.

This is a perfect analogy, thank you. Value is inherent at the time of acquisition, what you do with it doesn't matter. If I give you 100$ for a chocolate bar and you invest it, and turn it into a million dollars, or lose it all, getting 100$ for a chocolate bar is still a stellar exchange. Or horrendous, but that depends on which side you're on :lol:
Props TZ!
brownbobcat
Head Coach

Post#880 » by brownbobcat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:58 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:So since players are not static, immutable constructs - then it would be ridiculous to say they have a .500 ceiling then, no? Come on man - just take the L and admit you slipped up and said something that made no sense. Anyone with a brain knew that the 2022-23 version of the team underachieved and that was not some "best case" scenario. No one went into that season saying
"well, this roster has a 41-41 ceiling". No one.

Mans out here talking about Ls and still defending the trade for PoeltLLL.

Doesn't matter what they thought going into the season, they were proven wrong once games were played. Nobody thought they were going to be a 48-win team the year before either, and it turns out that pessimism was more accurate.
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do? That's rhetorical, by the way, we all know the answer already.

YogurtProducer wrote:The 22-23 team vastly underachieved - it does not mean their ceiling was .500. .500 was damn near the absolute floor.

I guess we'll never know because the NBA ended after the 2022-23 season and they never played games afterward that would've proven .500 was only their floor.

YogurtProducer wrote:LOL at anyone who still thinks Schroder was anywhere near able to replace what FVV brought.

Yeah, FVV was going to add 10 wins to this squad. He didn't do that in '23, but totally would've done it a year later and played nice with Scottie once he got paid.

Return to Toronto Raptors