ImageImageImageImageImage

Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,146

Re: Siakam trade for basically nothing is now showing its effect 

Post#381 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:
Chandan wrote:

You can see my excitement seeping through (NOT) in this thread: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2349286&start=40. Interesting to relive it. One thing team mediocre should enjoy is that most of the people replying in that thread nolonger posts.

It was hard to get excited about the late FRPs when I was told whoever we draft wont be as good as Poeltl anyway.

Look on page 69:

Chandan wrote:after watching some highlights, I'm stoked we got Bruce Brown!! He's way better than the three 1st round picks combined and should be considered the main piece of this trade. Brown was a key player in the Nugget's championship run. I can see us making the play-in and ending up in the finals with Brown!

Damn Chandan - he pulled the receipts on you :lol:

Except those receipts are made up :lol:
I dont think I've ever watched any Bruce Brown highlights at all. Didn't bother entertaining whatever he was saying :lol:
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#382 » by Tacoma » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
Nobody was ever going to give up a top prospect or top pick for him. People's expectations were just unrealistic.

Who were all these great young players the Raps turned down? Teams aren't lining up to give you their young future star for Siakam.

Things like age and salary matter. A soon to be 30 year old who will command 45-50 million a season just isn't the huge asset many people think he is, even if they traded him last year.

If the Raps were trading for Siakam, would you offer Barnes? Or would you offer what every other team offered, a bunch of middle tier prospects and picks?

As fans, we obviously aren't privy to private trade conversations that happen across the league. We can only judge results. The result here is that we ended up trading an all-star level player in his prime for a package of middling picks, 2 of which are from a draft in which picks have been traded around like candy because it is universally percieved as weak.

Nobody here is claiming we should have gotten a Barnes level prospect in return. That said, you would think the package should have included at least a mid-tier lotto pick OR simply a starting level prospect like Kuminga, Mathurin, JJohnson or eqiuvalent. If you had dealt him at last years draft, it is way more likely the Pacers #7 or a lotto pick from another team could have been in play.

For a frame of reference - We gave up a higher pick to acquire Poeltl than any pick we got in return for Siakam......fans that are happy with the Siakam return should be extremely dissapointed with the Poeltl trade or vice versa....you cant really have it both ways.

The argument that Siakam's trade value was depressed because he's looking for a contract is fair but its not enough to justify moving him for a package that is essentially fodder and will require a significant degree of random luck to turn into anything close to needle moving.
Shams already reported that the Pacers never offered one of their better young players. Nor did Atlanta ever offer JJ. They wouldn't even put Bufkin in a trade. The deal reported involved Griffin, a lower tier prospect.

These young players you're naming were just based on hope, not actual facts.

The storyline that we didn't get better offers is missing some context in that the reason we got poor offers was because we waited too long in the first place.

This is akin to a distress sale. Everyone knows Masai needs to sell quick because Siakam's contract is coming due in mere months and weren't going to offer him the Max thus didn't want him to leave for nothing like FVV. When interested buyers know you're desperate / in distress, they are going to low ball you and that's why he received the offers he got.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,524

Post#383 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

Tacoma wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
KrazyP wrote:
As fans, we obviously aren't privy to private trade conversations that happen across the league. We can only judge results. The result here is that we ended up trading an all-star level player in his prime for a package of middling picks, 2 of which are from a draft in which picks have been traded around like candy because it is universally percieved as weak.

Nobody here is claiming we should have gotten a Barnes level prospect in return. That said, you would think the package should have included at least a mid-tier lotto pick OR simply a starting level prospect like Kuminga, Mathurin, JJohnson or eqiuvalent. If you had dealt him at last years draft, it is way more likely the Pacers #7 or a lotto pick from another team could have been in play.

For a frame of reference - We gave up a higher pick to acquire Poeltl than any pick we got in return for Siakam......fans that are happy with the Siakam return should be extremely dissapointed with the Poeltl trade or vice versa....you cant really have it both ways.

The argument that Siakam's trade value was depressed because he's looking for a contract is fair but its not enough to justify moving him for a package that is essentially fodder and will require a significant degree of random luck to turn into anything close to needle moving.
Shams already reported that the Pacers never offered one of their better young players. Nor did Atlanta ever offer JJ. They wouldn't even put Bufkin in a trade. The deal reported involved Griffin, a lower tier prospect.

These young players you're naming were just based on hope, not actual facts.

The storyline that we didn't get better offers is missing some context in that the reason we got poor offers was because we waited too long in the first place.

This is akin to a distress sale. Everyone knows Masai needs to sell quick because Siakam's contract is coming due in mere months and weren't going to offer him the Max thus didn't want him to leave for nothing like FVV. When interested buyers know you're desperate / in distress, they are going to low ball you and that's why he received the offers he got.
Shams reported the Pacers didn't offer a top young player this year or last year. It wasn't about waiting too long.

People overestimated his worth, myself included.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,477

Post#384 » by PD28 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:54 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
PD28 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
They would have been right effed if Siakam wasn't there.

Pacers overachieved due to Haliburton's hot start. The addition of Siakam hasn't been able to mask the drop off from that Hali hot start. Siakam isn't as impactful as some believed.

Sure he is. Mathurin is out, Hield and Brown got traded, Haliburton and Nesmith are currently playing just awful. Siakam and Turner are the only two actually doing what they are supposed to.

You just want it to be that Siakam sucked?

He's a borderline all-star at best. Not sure that is debatable. You think he's producing on both ends of the floor right now? Is he worth the contract that the Pacers will be forced to offer him?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,169

Post#385 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 pm

Childs wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Childs wrote:
We don't know. But think an extra year with an All-NBA player would likely net you more. I remember after the Siakam trade, during Masai's press conference, that he admitted he was not looking seriously for trades as he wanted to keep the group together. We had an All NBA player in Pascal, an All star in Fred, and a defensive player in OG, hence they did the Poetl deal, cause he wanted to give them a chance despite how poorly they were doing last year before all star break.

If you already have that mindset, how serious are looking at trades? Unless it was something completely one sided, like SGA or Luka for Pascal.

I think we vastly oversell how much 1 extra year of control would bring value in a trade. Being a UFA is not as big of a risk as it once was as guys don't jump ship that often anymore.

Reality is that most teams don't trade good players on deals with term, and when it does it usually is because their team is downright terrible (Beal, Dame, Siakam) when the trades happen.

Or when a team is maxed on what it can do. Like the Jazz with Gobert and Mitchell. Last year was the last dying breath of an era of Raptors basketball, but Masai and Bobby wanted to prolong it, rather than see the writing on the wall. At the end of the day, we don't know. An extra year on an All NBA player is likely to net you more. But like I said, it would suicidal for Bobby and Masai to say they were better offers last year. They will never publicly admit that.

Would a trade last year for Pascal be as good as the OG trade? I have doubts of that. But I would think it would be better than the rift raff underwhelming players we have now.

I am sure if we were offered a Gobert or Mitchell offer we would have taken it.

There has been zero reporting we were ever offered anything better for Pascal - just because you don't advertise a player is for sure being traded does not mean teams cant offer things.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,234

Post#386 » by Childs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Childs wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I think we vastly oversell how much 1 extra year of control would bring value in a trade. Being a UFA is not as big of a risk as it once was as guys don't jump ship that often anymore.

Reality is that most teams don't trade good players on deals with term, and when it does it usually is because their team is downright terrible (Beal, Dame, Siakam) when the trades happen.

Or when a team is maxed on what it can do. Like the Jazz with Gobert and Mitchell. Last year was the last dying breath of an era of Raptors basketball, but Masai and Bobby wanted to prolong it, rather than see the writing on the wall. At the end of the day, we don't know. An extra year on an All NBA player is likely to net you more. But like I said, it would suicidal for Bobby and Masai to say they were better offers last year. They will never publicly admit that.

Would a trade last year for Pascal be as good as the OG trade? I have doubts of that. But I would think it would be better than the rift raff underwhelming players we have now.

There has been zero reporting we were ever offered anything better for Pascal - just because you don't advertise a player is for sure being traded does not mean teams cant offer things.

Like I said, if you are focused on keeping the core together and seeing it through, how serious are you looking at trade offers? They were buyers in 2023, not shoppers because the front office wanted to see this through. It's been reported that this front office is very difficult to deal with by other execs. It was only this year, where their hand was forced, is when they did break this up.

Not every trade rumor is going to reach the press. I have a hard believing that 1.5 years of a All-NBA player is worth the same as 0.5 years of that said player. But Masai and Bobby aren't going to say anything, cause that is career suicide.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#387 » by bballsparkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm

Scase wrote:Don't put yourself in quite literally the worst bargaining position possible, and maybe you extract more value. Wild concept. Keep dealing from a position of disadvantage, and yeah even the rumoured trades will look bad.

I agree that Siakams value was greatly overstated by a lot of fans, but suggesting that what we got for him was ok, because it was the best possible return is nonsense, when the reason it was such a bad return was due to poor management.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Masai was either wrong building a team with Siakam being "the guy" for 4 years, or Siakam had value and he ruined it and was stuck with a bad trade return. No matter which way you look at it, he **** up royally.

They sold seats and beer. Gave NN and company a chance to try. It's not the approach I would have taken yet context matters. It was a weird time. The bubble, and Tampa must have hit them hard in the pocket books. The best time to trade Pascal would have been after the Tampa season when they are coming back to Toronto. Yet, that doesn't take into consider the business aspect of the Franchise.

My position is that Pascal was never that valuable as a trade commodity and some of you would have been upset no matter when the trade happened. He's a second banana with no shot. Suspect defence. And he wants the ball in his hands.

There was no rumour for Pascal that ever was that exciting that I can recall. Portland reportedly offered #7 for OG and Hart. Yet not Pascal why is that? I have faith in the teams ability to draft. We got back a FRP that should be around #18 this draft. There's lots of players that will be available around that spot. Ripe for the picking if a scouting department makes well informed decisions. Who knows what the 2026 pick will look like. It could be decent. Hali is looking injured and ineffectual. Pascal will be older if he even stays. The draft maybe better.

People **** on Brown but someone needs to play during this ****. They never took back dead-weight in the trade either.

Some of you don't like the return. I think it's fine. That's the way opinions work. If the Pacers offered their lottery pick last year, well hell yeah the Raptors should have took that trade. I don't think it was there. And that the offers were underwhelming. He was more valuable here playing under NN than he was elsewhere fyi. We shall see. If they whiff on the two Pacers picks then I will stand corrected. But even then I'm happy he's gone and the team is rebuilding.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#388 » by bballsparkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:What the hells even being discussed in this thread? The trade was horrible simply because of the desperate position Masai put himself in.

If the Raptors are able to get a multiple time allstar/all nba player for Bruce, scrubs and those 3 level of picks this offseason... everyone would sign up asap.

Arguing otherwise just makes you look so damn homerish. Hope MLSE is atleast paying some of you folks for these takes lol.

What trade option for Pascal was better? I'll wait,...that's right you don't know.

I thought you said you were going to wait?

Fair, although he never suggesting anything in his next posts.

bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#389 » by bballsparkin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 pm

Chandan wrote:[

Except those receipts are made up :lol:
I dont think I've ever watched any Bruce Brown highlights at all. Didn't bother entertaining whatever he was saying :lol:

The !! excitement for Brown should have been obvious you were being sarcastic. No one is getting that excited for Bruce.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,761

Post#390 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:04 am

bballsparkin wrote:
Scase wrote:Don't put yourself in quite literally the worst bargaining position possible, and maybe you extract more value. Wild concept. Keep dealing from a position of disadvantage, and yeah even the rumoured trades will look bad.

I agree that Siakams value was greatly overstated by a lot of fans, but suggesting that what we got for him was ok, because it was the best possible return is nonsense, when the reason it was such a bad return was due to poor management.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Masai was either wrong building a team with Siakam being "the guy" for 4 years, or Siakam had value and he ruined it and was stuck with a bad trade return. No matter which way you look at it, he **** up royally.

They sold seats and beer. Gave NN and company a chance to try. It's not the approach I would have taken yet context matters. It was a weird time. The bubble, and Tampa must have hit them hard in the pocket books. The best time to trade Pascal would have been after the Tampa season when they are coming back to Toronto. Yet, that doesn't take into consider the business aspect of the Franchise.

My position is that Pascal was never that valuable as a trade commodity and some of you would have been upset no matter when the trade happened. He's a second banana with no shot. Suspect defence. And he wants the ball in his hands.

There was no rumour for Pascal that ever was that exciting that I can recall. Portland reportedly offered #7 for OG and Hart. Yet not Pascal why is that? I have faith in the teams ability to draft. We got back a FRP that should be around #18 this draft. There's lots of players that will be available around that spot. Ripe for the picking if a scouting department makes well informed decisions. Who knows what the 2026 pick will look like. It could be decent. Hali is looking injured and ineffectual. Pascal will be older if he even stays. The draft maybe better.

People **** on Brown but someone needs to play during this ****. They never took back dead-weight in the trade either.

Some of you don't like the return. I think it's fine. That's the way opinions work. If the Pacers offered their lottery pick last year, well hell yeah the Raptors should have took that trade. I don't think it was there. And that the offers were underwhelming. He was more valuable here playing under NN than he was elsewhere fyi. We shall see. If they whiff on the two Pacers picks then I will stand corrected. But even then I'm happy he's gone and the team is rebuilding.

With regards to trading Siakam after Tampa, don’t forget he tore his shoulder labrum at end of Tampa and had locker room blow up with Nurse. He had 3 years max left at that time too.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,293

Post#391 » by Scase » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:09 am

bballsparkin wrote:

I agree with you for the most part, but it all kinda falls apart when Masai is still making trades like picking up Jak. If he couldn't trade Siakam because of tampa, and every other reason, there is no reason to double down on that awful core and trade for Jak. He should've done nothing, and then traded him in the off season, but he didn't he tried another win now move cause he thought Siakam was good enough to at least get them through the play in.

Trading him early isn't just about return, it's the opportunity cost.
Props TZ!
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#392 » by bballsparkin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:14 am

^^No disagreement there.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,146

Post#393 » by Chandan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:32 am

Scase wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

I agree with you for the most part, but it all kinda falls apart when Masai is still making trades like picking up Jak. If he couldn't trade Siakam because of tampa, and every other reason, there is no reason to double down on that awful core and trade for Jak. He should've done nothing, and then traded him in the off season, but he didn't he tried another win now move cause he thought Siakam was good enough to at least get them through the play in.

This all happened because Masai grew a huge ego and bought into his own bull. He really thought the "winning culture" he fostered would carry the sub-par talent to at least elite territory. Maybe he didn't think he would win the whole thing, but at least he would get the respect and credit for being some sort of innovator (they zig, I zag). He got out of touch and underestimate how much talent is needed to win in this league.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,293

Post#394 » by Scase » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:22 am

Chandan wrote:
Scase wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

This all happened because Masai grew a huge ego and bought into his own bull. He really thought the "winning culture" he fostered would carry the sub-par talent to at least elite territory. Maybe he didn't think he would win the whole thing, but at least he would get the respect and credit for being some sort of innovator (they zig, I zag). He got out of touch and underestimate how much talent is needed to win in this league.

The biggest ego issue IMO is thinking he could just acquire a bunch of players with zero offensive skill and act like you can just teach anyone how to shoot.
Props TZ!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,830

Post#395 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 am

PD28 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
PD28 wrote:
Pacers overachieved due to Haliburton's hot start. The addition of Siakam hasn't been able to mask the drop off from that Hali hot start. Siakam isn't as impactful as some believed.

Sure he is. Mathurin is out, Hield and Brown got traded, Haliburton and Nesmith are currently playing just awful. Siakam and Turner are the only two actually doing what they are supposed to.

He's a borderline all-star at best. Not sure that is debatable. You think he's producing on both ends of the floor right now? Is he worth the contract that the Pacers will be forced to offer him?

I don't give a ****. He's pretty much carrying the Pacers right now. Argue that he isn't logically, instead of telling me what he's going to cost or making vague comments about defense that nobody in Indy plays or any other BS.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,169

Post#396 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:13 pm

Childs wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Childs wrote:

Like I said, if you are focused on keeping the core together and seeing it through, how serious are you looking at trade offers? They were buyers in 2023, not shoppers because the front office wanted to see this through. It's been reported that this front office is very difficult to deal with by other execs. It was only this year, where their hand was forced, is when they did break this up.

Not every trade rumor is going to reach the press. I have a hard believing that 1.5 years of a All-NBA player is worth the same as 0.5 years of that said player. But Masai and Bobby aren't going to say anything, cause that is career suicide.

I am sure the extra year does make a difference - but nearly as big of one as people here think.

Trading Siakam a year earlier does not suddenly get Indiana offering Mathurin and Nembhard, or the Kings with Keegan Murray, etc.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,445

Post#397 » by oldncreaky » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
PD28 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I don't give a ****. He's pretty much carrying the Pacers right now. Argue that he isn't logically, instead of telling me what he's going to cost or making vague comments about defense that nobody in Indy plays or any other BS.

Agree. While Siakam is not good enough to be a #1 option on a contender, he's a good floor raiser, and he's kept Indy from dropping to 9th/10th
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,234

Post#398 » by Childs » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Childs wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I am sure if we were offered a Gobert or Mitchell offer we would have taken it.

I am sure the extra year does make a difference - but nearly as big of one as people here think.

Trading Siakam a year earlier does not suddenly get Indiana offering Mathurin and Nembhard, or the Kings with Keegan Murray, etc.

Possibly but definitely better than the package we got.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,477

Post#399 » by PD28 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:06 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
PD28 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Definitely struck a nerve of a Siakam fan :lol: :lol:
NBA players are assets. Their contract value is directly linked to their value as a player - not a hard concept to grasp. You want to argue that you'd rather the Raptors pay for this next contract? Get your feelings out of it and think logically.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#400 » by islandboy53 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:11 pm

PD28 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
PD28 wrote:

Definitely struck a nerve of a Siakam fan :lol: :lol:
NBA players are assets. Their contract value is directly linked to their value as a player - not a hard concept to grasp. You want to argue that you'd rather the Raptors pay for this next contract? Get your feelings out of it and think logically.

I don't see anyone suggesting that, other than you, as a bit of a false flag. Ultimately, the Pacers and Siakam will sort out how much he's worth. His offensive numbers have improved across the board since moving to Indiana. Clearly he's in a role that suits him better. Indiana knew what they were trading for, including the likely cost of a new contract, and I don't think there's any reason for them to regret the deal.

Return to Toronto Raptors