ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors With The Third Highest Odds To Sign Ben Simmons

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,717

Re: Raptors With The Third Highest Odds To Sign Ben Simmons 

Post#61 » by Ell Curry » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:03 am

You need a team option on any deal with him to make it worth it, really. Also a ton of research on what exactly is going on mentally and emotionally as well as obviously his back.

In any case, I don't really see it. But on a McDaniels (ours of course, not Minny's) then sure, why not. Can always send him home and we're not doing much. More than 6-7M a year I don't see, that's getting into reliable 9th or 10th guy territory.
Where's the D?
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#62 » by Thaddy » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:10 am

If he came in a S&T for a low priced TO it couldn't be worse than a OPJ level signing.

Brown and Boucher for Simmons (90M - 3 years with TO).

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 205

Post#63 » by RoteSchroder » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:40 am

pilkoids wrote:
RoteSchroder wrote:this is a tough one

Mop girl looks nice, but she may not stay here for long-term. She will likely set sight to higher aspirations.

Simmons is not someone I want to look at during breaks, but as a mop boy he can get to those wet spots real fast with his NBA athleticism. Plus, he'll likely be a long-term asset and may have the potential to develop into mop man.

This board is still fawning over mop-girl from like 15 years ago? That gal probably probably has a couple of kids in junior-high by now

I haven't paid serious attention to b-ball in a while, lol..not sure what the running gags are nowadays
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#64 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:31 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Ya I get that but let's not act like we're bringing him into a championship, we're a bottom 10 team at best. If he acts up, you quickly release the man lol.

We're a young, rebuilding team. That's exactly the type of situation you don't want to bring a malcontent vet into.

It's a high risk, low reward (he sucks at basketball) move. Absolutely not worth even considering.

I can see a contender bring him on to be a third string big (his bad attitude won't rub off on vets), but if that doesn't pan out, he'll be in China or retired in a year or two.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. This would be a lesser version of the Schroder signing since I'd only offer a 1 year cheaper deal to the guy. Guys on those contracts are usually egoless since they know what happens if they mess around.

There is no way they will bring in Ben Simmons. He’s absolutely dog ****. Not to mention the media circus he brings with him as well just by being Ben Simmons.

You wanna build a good culture for young guys? Ben Simmons is the epitome of bad culture.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,291

Post#65 » by Tripod » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:17 pm

Thaddy wrote:If he came in a S&T for a low priced TO it couldn't be worse than a OPJ level signing.

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Are you really saying give Simmons 30 million a year??

What the hell has he done lately to deserve a multi year deal let alone anything paying him 30 million?

Crazy
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,275

Post#66 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
We're a young, rebuilding team. That's exactly the type of situation you don't want to bring a malcontent vet into.

It's a high risk, low reward (he sucks at basketball) move. Absolutely not worth even considering.

I can see a contender bring him on to be a third string big (his bad attitude won't rub off on vets), but if that doesn't pan out, he'll be in China or retired in a year or two.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. This would be a lesser version of the Schroder signing since I'd only offer a 1 year cheaper deal to the guy. Guys on those contracts are usually egoless since they know what happens if they mess around.

There is no way they will bring in Ben Simmons. He’s absolutely dog ****. Not to mention the media circus he brings with him as well just by being Ben Simmons.

You wanna build a good culture for young guys? Ben Simmons is the epitome of bad culture.

What culture is there when you're one of the worst teams in the league at the moment? My point was that we have nothing to lose because we currently suck.

If Simmons causes any issues that you don't like, you release him asap because it shouldn't cost more than a 1 year minimum type of deal anyways.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#67 » by ItsDanger » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:49 pm

;si=FJREnnuSNqqdlDuy
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,841

Post#68 » by lobosloboslobos » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 pm

can we also sign mike tyson and maybe elton john? about as useful...
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#69 » by agkagk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:43 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:If he's bought out and can bring brought in for the minimum, why the hell not. Low risk/high reward moves is how you should try to proceed in every facet of life.

Now I don't expect Brooklyn to actually do that. Simmons can still be valuable as a massive expiring contract in this new cap world.

Sometimes a player can have negative value due to poor attitude and locker room presence. On a talent basis, it would be a no brainer to give him a shot on a cheap deal. You'd have to be 90%+ sure his health - physical and mental - were there, though.

Ya I get that but let's not act like we're bringing him onto a championship roster, we're a bottom 10 team at best. If he acts up, you quickly release the man lol.

He will negatively overlap with scottie.

Scottie - kelly - ben is a poor mans pascal - og - scottie.
Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 916

Post#70 » by Rapsin6 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:21 pm

Thaddy wrote:If he came in a S&T for a low priced TO it couldn't be worse than a OPJ level signing.

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Just curious, are you honestly suggesting that it couldn’t be any worse to sign a guy who over the last 3 years, has played in approximately 30% of his team’s games, averaging 5 points in 26 minutes of the games he does play and is a known malcontent to a 30million AAV contract and it couldn’t be any worse than OPJ? OPJ was paid considerably less and was a decent locker room vet and had a tradable contract. It most certainly can and almost guaranteed would be worse. This isn’t the same Ben Simmons we played 5 years ago. 30 million…yikes.
"Ball"
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#71 » by PRESTIGE » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:23 pm

I don’t believe Simmons is interested in playing professional basketball any more. He’s got his money and cashed out. Since he’s still young, he’ll probably be tempted or convinced to keep signing for whatever he can get before riding off into the sunset. Whatever is left of his playing career will alternate between being benched, out for back or nerve injuries, or mental health hold outs. He will likely never be a positive contributor to a team agin.

If I had to make a prediction I’d say he will sign with the Lakers or a contender on a min contract, flame out, sign with another contender, flame out again, then be blackballed and never play in the league again.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#72 » by hype_2004 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:56 pm

He's mentality is similar to the likes of Bynum, Sanders and others who only play for the money but have no love for the game. No thing wrong with that except this guy is just being dishonest about his mental health, soon when he gets out of the NBA he will be forgotten and will be "surprisingly" healthy talking about how others did him wrong, no accountability for his laziness and dislike for the game of basketball.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#73 » by hype_2004 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:01 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Can's shoot, needs the ball in his hands to be effective....oh, and he plays point guard. I almost forgot that he can't shoot free throws either. Misses a ton of games and shrinks in big games to the point that he hurts his own team with refusing to shoot.

Maybe you can make an argument for him as a second unit player, but it would depend on the price.

Ben Simmons would make a good small ball C, he has enough strength and weight at 250 lbs to handle the C spot. Why in the world would Masai sign Ben Simmons? Maybe he will have a one on one talk with him about life as he always does with his projects and convince him of his role and no pressure of not being the focal point of the media here in Canada. There is interest there and Masai has always like Ben Simmons as a player.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 445

Post#74 » by CazOnReal » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:19 pm

Lotta people ignoring the context re: if Simmons was bought out
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#75 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:28 pm

We already have a Ben Simmons at home and his name is Scottie; an actually better version of Ben. Teams only need one Ben Simmons type; no need for two or more.
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#76 » by Kreamy » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:43 pm

I'd take a flyer on the last year of his contract and bring him off the bench to play with shooters in Dick, Trent Jr., Olynyk etc.

Brown, Boucher and McDaniels for Simmons in the off-season. He can still defend, pass and rebound at an elite level.
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,002

Post#77 » by anotherhomer » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:06 pm

Kreamy wrote:I'd take a flyer on the last year of his contract and bring him off the bench to play with shooters in Dick, Trent Jr., Olynyk etc.

Brown, Boucher and McDaniels for Simmons in the off-season. He can still defend, pass and rebound at an elite level.

it's interesting, how i proposed this, is an option , i say we also have option to swap Suns' picks too
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#78 » by islandboy53 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:38 pm

Rapsin6 wrote:

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Just curious, are you honestly suggesting that it couldn’t be any worse to sign a guy who over the last 3 years, has played in approximately 30% of his team’s games, averaging 5 points in 26 minutes of the games he does play and is a known malcontent to a 30million AAV contract and it couldn’t be any worse than OPJ? OPJ was paid considerably less and was a decent locker room vet and had a tradable contract. It most certainly can and almost guaranteed would be worse. This isn’t the same Ben Simmons we played 5 years ago. 30 million…yikes.

I wouldn't sign Simmons to a 1 year vet min. It would be a waste of a roster spot.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,143

Post#79 » by Chandan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:24 am

Tripod wrote:

Olynyk - Poeltl
Barnes - Agbaji
Barrett - Dick
IQ - Trent
Simmons - Barnes

Are you really saying give Simmons 30 million a year??

What the hell has he done lately to deserve a multi year deal let alone anything paying him 30 million?

Crazy

he'd be a tradeable contract or salary ballast.
dublo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 439

Post#80 » by dublo7 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:37 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:Where’s the barf emoji?

:eek1: :jawdrop: :falloff: T

This better not happen. Ben Simmons AFAIC should be checking reality TV auditions. It's a sorry story but doesn't look he can ever get back to what he had. The man is allergic to shooting. He needs to get the Eyes of the Oracle to the Merovingian.
Free advice is seldom cheap. ROA#59

Return to Toronto Raptors