ImageImageImageImageImage

Did we give up on Banton too soon?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Re: Did we give up on Banton too soon? 

Post#181 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

binjumper wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
him putting up stats on a bad team is also not an indicator of a good/bad player either. works both ways.

Totally agree but it is still more impressive than not even being able to put up any statistics.

We're currently getting our asses beat by 40+ at home. Obviously we could use someone like Banton to make these losses less humiliating.

Who cares about these losses. We got 4 starters with a legit reason to be out. Our team is g leaguers getting in runs. It's fine we got a bunch of picks and a future that has guys like dick barnes IQ and RJ developing. Funny thing is we relate this to the dark days of the Raptors, but back then we knew those teams had no futures. We have legit all-star talent and dudes with potential on the team.

Exactly. No-one was as excited about young DeMar as we are about young Scottie. Or even 23-year-old RJ, the way he's played on the Raptors. And now Gradey and IQ.

Ed Davis? T-Ross? :lol:
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#182 » by HiJiNX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:
I wouldn't look at the plus minus

My bigger argument remains that banton would not had thrive in toronto. Too much distractions.

He's in Portland where he can mainly focus on basketball

I agree.

I don’t think plus/minus is a good indicator of impact when the entire team he’s playing for is just bad. Of course his plus minus is gonna be bad—the team sucks. If you were looking at Banton as a guy who you want to lead a team or be a top three player on a team, then that plus minus stat is a red flag, but if you’re looking a guy you hope can be a contributor on a good team, then it’s hard to use that as an indicator of impact.

Ultimately, Banton’s biggest hurdle in the NBA was shooting and he seems to be working that out. He’s always had a fair amount of natural instinct for the game, and he’s obviously very fast.

That said, I think he needed the change of scenery. It wasn’t gonna happen here. Now that he’s improved though maybe we have the inside track on bringing him back.

Mostly though, it looks like he’s carving out an NBA career for himself so good for him. Hard to do from Rexdale. You don’t see a lot of poor kids make it anymore. The NBA is mostly filled with middle to upper class kids. It’s a great story if it works out.

Oh 100%. I have nothing against Banton and I do hope he carves out a career.

I just have something against "We let him go too soon" or "this is a miss".

a) The change of scenery might have been needed (as you mentioned)
b) We have no idea if his game will actually impact basketball on a winning level.

Yup yup. There are some guys who can only produce on bad teams. So, though it’s nice to see him working it out, I’m not 100% convinced until he can be an efficient player and contribute to a good team. Hope he makes it though.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#183 » by HiJiNX » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

anotherhomer wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:I agree.

I don’t think plus/minus is a good indicator of impact when the entire team he’s playing for is just bad. Of course his plus minus is gonna be bad—the team sucks. If you were looking at Banton as a guy who you want to lead a team or be a top three player on a team, then that plus minus stat is a red flag, but if you’re looking a guy you hope can be a contributor on a good team, then it’s hard to use that as an indicator of impact.

Ultimately, Banton’s biggest hurdle in the NBA was shooting and he seems to be working that out. He’s always had a fair amount of natural instinct for the game, and he’s obviously very fast.

That said, I think he needed the change of scenery. It wasn’t gonna happen here. Now that he’s improved though maybe we have the inside track on bringing him back.

Mostly though, it looks like he’s carving out an NBA career for himself so good for him. Hard to do from Rexdale. You don’t see a lot of poor kids make it anymore. The NBA is mostly filled with middle to upper class kids. It’s a great story if it works out.

Oh 100%. I have nothing against Banton and I do hope he carves out a career.

I just have something against "We let him go too soon" or "this is a miss".

a) The change of scenery might have been needed (as you mentioned)
b) We have no idea if his game will actually impact basketball on a winning level.

I think it's irrelevant to argue we let him go too soon. We don't know if he be successful but it would not have happened here.

He have too many "friends" from Rexdale looking for handouts

I heard it was the girls and nightlife that got to him. Probably all of it, to be honest.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
LordByronScott
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#184 » by LordByronScott » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Another big game last night (in a losing cause). 31 pts 5 rebs, 9 asts on 5/11 shooting.

And -15 again.

Sounds like you're rooting for someone to fail.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,764

Post#185 » by Basketball_Jones » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 pm

I wish Ochai would put up stats on a crap team
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#186 » by maternal85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I wish Ochai would put up stats on a crap team

It doesn't matter. He's a better shooter than Stephen Curry from the corner 3. Haven't you heard ? Was it the right or left corner 3 ? Or was it both ? lol
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#187 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 pm

maternal85 wrote:

It doesn't matter. He's a better shooter than Stephen Curry from the corner 3. Haven't you heard ? Was it the right or left corner 3 ? Or was it both ? lol

Man, I went to check for fun and even though I think Ochai is a waste of time moving forward, Curry is shooting 59 **** percent this year, from the right corner which is where Ochai is good from, and he shoots 40%. Dude averages 50% from that corner for his career with 492 attempts, Curry is insane lol.
Props TZ!
maternal85
Starter

Post#188 » by maternal85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
By your logic, every current Raptor sucks loll. Hope you're not serious at using +/- stats as your indicator of a good/bad player.

him putting up stats on a bad team is also not an indicator of a good/bad player either. works both ways.

Totally agree but it is still more impressive than not even being able to put up any statistics.

We're currently getting our asses beat by 40+ at home. Obviously we could use someone like Banton to make these losses less humiliating.

Don't let people bully you into believing their opinions. This is the NBA. Putting up good stats is impressive period. This isn't your local YMCA. Putting up numbers on a bad team tells me you at least belong in the NBA. Not Putting up good numbers on a bad team makes me wonder if you should even be in the NBA. Half our roster shouldn't be in the NBA imo.

But don't let these stat "experts" fool you. If Ochai the most lethal 3 point shooter from the corner, the world has ever seen, this board would be saying how he's a steal and future star. Nobody would have time for plus/ minus nonsense. It's just a form of gaslighting people to believe he's a trash player. He at least belongs in the NBA. Can't say that about our young "prospects" except Dick.
maternal85
Starter

Post#189 » by maternal85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:06 pm

Scase wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

Man, I went to check for fun and even though I think Ochai is a waste of time moving forward, Curry is shooting 59 **** percent this year, from the right corner which is where Ochai is good from, and he shoots 40%. Dude averages 50% from that corner for his career with 492 attempts, Curry is insane lol.

Really ? The stat "experts" here have been saying Ochai is the best corner 3 point shooter to ever live. I'm sure his plus/minus is better than Stephen Curry for sure !
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#190 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

maternal85 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Don't let people bully you into believing their opinions. This is the NBA. Putting up good stats is impressive period. This isn't your local YMCA. Putting up numbers on a bad team tells me you at least belong in the NBA. Not Putting up good numbers on a bad team makes me wonder if you should even be in the NBA. Half our roster shouldn't be in the NBA imo.

But don't let these stat "experts" fool you. If Ochai the most lethal 3 point shooter from the corner, the world has ever seen, this board would be saying how he's a steal and future star. Nobody would have time for plus/ minus nonsense. It's just a form of gaslighting people to believe he's a trash player. He at least belongs in the NBA. Can't say that about our young "prospects" except Dick.
Posting a 53 TS% isn't "good stats"

He's scoring well below average efficiency
maternal85
Starter

Post#191 » by maternal85 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

He scoring well below average efficiency

lol
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#192 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

He's scoring well below average efficiency

My friend, let me help you.
Props TZ!
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#193 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 pm

maternal85 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
maternal85 wrote:

lol
This dude thinks taking 14 shots to get 15 points is good.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#194 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:30 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
maternal85 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Posting a 53 TS% isn't "good stats"

lol
This dude thinks taking 14 shots to get 15 points is good.

Stop gaslighting him. Did you look at the stats???
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,272

Post#195 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 pm

Truly dark times if we're debating this much over Banton man. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and wish him all the best as a fellow Canadian but he isn't moving the needle either way.

This is just a case of our current product being so trash that we're resorting to this. Heck, Dowtin would look great on the current Raptors too lol.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,143

Post#196 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 pm

and even then it wouldn't mean much because "let's see him do this on a winning team"
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,764

Post#197 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Truly dark times if we're debating this much over Banton man. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and wish him all the best as a fellow Canadian but he isn't moving the needle either way.

This is just a case of our current product being so trash that we're resorting to this. Heck, Dowtin would look great on the current Raptors too lol.

Yeah pretty much. I mean it’d be way more fun right now watching Banton and Gradey put up stats while we’re getting blow out
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
TRik
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,445

Post#198 » by TRik » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:24 am

Fantastic game by Banton against a tough Magic squad. Also, so far Scoot really really has shown low BBIQ. Too early to say bust but he sucks so far.
‘Silly rabbit’
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#199 » by Jstock12 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:44 am

maternal85 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

That's not necessarily true. Ignas Brazdeikis had quite a nice stretch at the end of the season with Orlando a couple years ago. And now it's looking like he doesn't even belong in the Euroleague. Many guys can put up stats at the end of the season against unmotivated defenses as long as they get minutes and touches.
Westside Gunn
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,077

Post#200 » by Westside Gunn » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:15 am

I don't understand where the Ochai hype came from on realgm. Whenever I watched he would clank those corner 3s he was known for. Shows that he is shooting 25% from 3 as a Raptor.

Delano I can understand, dude is like a 6'9 PG putting up great numbers at the end of the season. It becomes a conversation for a player to buy more time to stay in the league.

Ochai on the other hand might be a player right now solely because of Masai Ujiri, not sure if any other executive will take him.
i miss the days when the bricks was only nineteeeeeeeen, i need a 100 right now

Return to Toronto Raptors