ImageImageImageImageImage

Did we give up on Banton too soon?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Re: Did we give up on Banton too soon? 

Post#101 » by Los_29 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am

basketballto wrote:If we found a player like Banton we would be extremely lucky. He would replace Brown at point, and take some time away from Gary, Agbaji. He gives a different look (fast look).

Guys like porter have shown they belong but they have a low ceiling. Agbaji has a role as a defense guard OG replacement. We still need a backup point guard.

The problem is Banton specifically couldn't work here because of his lifestyle and history. He liked to party here and go to local clubs where gangs from his past hang out. Jealousy turns to money demand, threats. It was distracting him and he wasn't focused. He looks focused now and that could happen here.

Banton was just traded for a top-55 protected pick. We also just had two years of Banton and it appears as though no improvements have been made. I wish Banton well and want him to do well. He has already outperformed his draft position just by still being in the league. However, he’s just not an impactful player and he doesn’t have a great NBA skill. He’s just average to below average in everything. His height is why he’s still in the league.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#102 » by brownbobcat » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:56 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Stopped reading when you said Banton does something as well as Barnes :lol: :lol:

Ah, so you're choosing ignorance. I said: One. Thing. And if he did nothing else, that'd still be one thing more than Agbaji can do on offense.

I'm not even sure why I bother responding to people that still think highly of the Poeltl trade.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,518

Post#103 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:09 pm

POR has a club option for him next year and then he becomes an unrestricted FA. If they want him back, there will be opportunities.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#104 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:12 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Stopped reading when you said Banton does something as well as Barnes :lol: :lol:

Ah, so you're choosing ignorance. I said: One. Thing. And if he did nothing else, that'd still be one thing more than Agbaji can do on offense.

I'm not even sure why I bother responding to people that still think highly of the Poeltl trade.

Are you not the one ignoring that defense is half the game, and the only NBA skill either player possesses is Agbaji can defend?

It does not matter that Banton can dribble or drive. He is not good enough at either of those things to be asked to do it in a real NBA game with a team with real aspirations. Agbaji is at least good enough to be thrown out there to defend, and his corner 3pt shot is another thing that looks like it might be real.

There is a reason why Agbaji has been a rotational player since the day he entered the NBA, and why Banton only gets minutes in garbage time or when half the league has shut down in March.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#105 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:15 pm

Los_29 wrote:
basketballto wrote:If we found a player like Banton we would be extremely lucky. He would replace Brown at point, and take some time away from Gary, Agbaji. He gives a different look (fast look).

Guys like porter have shown they belong but they have a low ceiling. Agbaji has a role as a defense guard OG replacement. We still need a backup point guard.

The problem is Banton specifically couldn't work here because of his lifestyle and history. He liked to party here and go to local clubs where gangs from his past hang out. Jealousy turns to money demand, threats. It was distracting him and he wasn't focused. He looks focused now and that could happen here.

Banton was just traded for a top-55 protected pick. We also just had two years of Banton and it appears as though no improvements have been made. I wish Banton well and want him to do well. He has already outperformed his draft position just by still being in the league. However, he’s just not an impactful player and he doesn’t have a great NBA skill. He’s just average to below average in everything. His height is why he’s still in the league.

Like what are these people seriously watching?

He is on his 3rd team in less than a year. He is putting up meh counting stats on bad efficiency and brings nothing else to the table.

He is not good enough to take time away from Agabji, let alone Bruce Brown (6th man on a champion) or Gary Trent who has been a legit NBA rotation player for 6 years now.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#106 » by positivetension » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 pm

This reminds me of when people were disappointed about letting go of Brissett. I'm pulling for both of those guys but I don't think they'll be moving any needles.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#107 » by Los_29 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Like what are these people seriously watching?

He is on his 3rd team in less than a year. He is putting up meh counting stats on bad efficiency and brings nothing else to the table.

He is not good enough to take time away from Agabji, let alone Bruce Brown (6th man on a champion) or Gary Trent who has been a legit NBA rotation player for 6 years now.

Just another example of people just looking at boxscore stats and not digging any deeper than that.

Bruce Brown has become underrated on here. Less than a year ago he was playing 30 minutes a game for the NBA champs and now some are saying Dalano Banton can take his minutes. lol.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#108 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:02 pm

I like the kid, I hope he can continue to improve and hang around the NBA;
However, for now its hard to not chalk this up to the "Drew Eubanks" Effect of late season Portland just giving guys minutes in meaningless games.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,371

Post#109 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:14 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:I like the kid, I hope he can continue to improve and hang around the NBA;
However, for now its hard to not chalk this up to the "Drew Eubanks" Effect of late season Portland just giving guys minutes in meaningless games.

Drew is playing relatively well for the Suns. The kid has all the right tools, just needs an opportunity and a good situation with players that would mesh well with his skillset.

For some reason, the last few years our style of development was to throw guys in the deepend. This hasn't been working, we needed to define roles for guys (like precious, delano etc.).
Tha Cynic
RealGM
And1: 24,416

Post#110 » by Tha Cynic » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:15 pm

Again, wasn't it Banton who asked to be traded because of his connections in Toronto affecting his ability to focus here?
Kobe Bryant:You asked for my hustle - I gave you my heart, because it came with so much more."~Kobe #MambaOut
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#111 » by Scase » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:22 pm

I've never seen a fanbase who argues more about utterly meaningless players that would ride the pine on even a .500 team. Like got dayum, he had a chance here, did nothing with it, he had a chance on Boston, did nothing with it.

Now, he's having games that look decent based off a simple box score, but when looked at from an efficiency stand point are Westbrook bad, on a terrible team. And people are out here acting like he's the one that "got away", lmao.
Props TZ!
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#112 » by ItsDanger » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:26 pm

Scase wrote:I've never seen a fanbase who argues more about utterly meaningless players that would ride the pine on even a .500 team. Like got dayum, he had a chance here, did nothing with it, he had a chance on Boston, did nothing with it.

Now, he's having games that look decent based off a simple box score, but when looked at from an efficiency stand point are Westbrook bad, on a terrible team. And people are out here acting like he's the one that "got away", lmao.

Likely a reflection of the poor product currently on the floor. Lot of these guys aren't showing much out there right now, even in meaningless blowouts. How can they be expected to produce with full and healthy lineups?
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#113 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:43 pm

Around March-April, there will always be some end of bench guy(s) who have an amazing string of games. This is cause those teams have already checked out and just let their bench guys run free. Always be careful evaluating these types of players especially when their teams are lottery bound.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,736

Post#114 » by maternal85 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 pm

All these analytical nerds and their bad efficiency narrative. The same nerds will somehow flip useless players stats like Ochai, JFL, Nwora, etc, and claim how they're a better prospect than Banton. Apparently any 3rd stringer can put up 20ppg- 30ppg according to some. Ochai couldn't throw a ball in the ocean. But these analytical nerds will show how he's a lethal 3 point shooter from the corner. Was it the left or right corner again ?

Ochai is also somehow a defensive stopper like OG now lol. If Banton is a nothing prospect, just keep the same energy for our other "prospects" as well. But losing Banton isn't an issue. I agree.

This bias is just sickening. Along with the analytical nerds gaslighting people to fit their narrative.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#115 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:48 pm

tdotrep2 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:I like the kid, I hope he can continue to improve and hang around the NBA;

Drew is playing relatively well for the Suns. The kid has all the right tools, just needs an opportunity and a good situation with players that would mesh well with his skillset.

For some reason, the last few years our style of development was to throw guys in the deepend. This hasn't been working, we needed to define roles for guys (like precious, delano etc.).

He is playing well,
Just not to the tune of 14.5/8.5 he was seeing when he was given a lot of burn in a similar situation in Portland towards the end of a season.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#116 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:02 pm

maternal85 wrote:All these analytical nerds and their bad efficiency narrative. The same nerds will somehow flip useless players stats like Ochai, JFL, Nwora, etc, and claim how they're a better prospect than Banton. Apparently any 3rd stringer can put up 20ppg- 30ppg according to some. Ochai couldn't throw a ball in the ocean. But these analytical nerds will show how he's a lethal 3 point shooter from the corner. Was it the left or right corner again ?

Ochai is also somehow a defensive stopper like OG now lol. If Banton is a nothing prospect, just keep the same energy for our other "prospects" as well. But losing Banton isn't an issue. I agree.

This bias is just sickening. Along with the analytical nerds gaslighting people to fit their narrative.

What is with the anger man :lol: I hate this notion form some that using a form of stats and actual, well, evidence is pushed aside because we are "nerds"?

Ochai is just indisputably a better prospect than Banton. The league agrees (which is why one was the 14th pick and one was a mid 2nd), and also why one has been a regular rotation player in the NBA from day 1 and the other is having his best stretch of his career by putting up below average efficiency points on a bottom 5 team after being literally given away by two other franchises.

But FWIW - Ochai is a good corner 3 shooter. In his career, 48% from the right corner and 38% from the left corner. You can ignore that all you want but it is just the truth. Not to mention he shot 37% from 3 over 4 seasons in college. There is like... a lot of evidence that Agbaji has a 3 point shot in him.

That is also reflected in the fact he has shot 44% from mid range and 39% from long 2 in his career. That has not yet shown in Toronto as his shot has been pretty bad, but there is a reason why you don't look at 17 game samples to draw conclusions.

Banton on the other hand shot 24% from 3 in college, has shot 31% in his NBA career, and there is next to no evidence the shot might come around. He shoots 31% and 22% from the corners, and is a 27% mid range shooter.

Just funny that "Ochai cant throw a ball in the ocean" yet he is twice the shooter Banton is :lol: But hey - don't let the stats (facts) bias you.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,858

Post#117 » by Duffman100 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:12 pm

maternal85 wrote:All these analytical nerds and their bad efficiency narrative. The same nerds will somehow flip useless players stats like Ochai, JFL, Nwora, etc, and claim how they're a better prospect than Banton. Apparently any 3rd stringer can put up 20ppg- 30ppg according to some. Ochai couldn't throw a ball in the ocean. But these analytical nerds will show how he's a lethal 3 point shooter from the corner. Was it the left or right corner again ?

Enough of the name calling. Next time it’s a warning.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#118 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Scase wrote:I've never seen a fanbase who argues more about utterly meaningless players that would ride the pine on even a .500 team. Like got dayum, he had a chance here, did nothing with it, he had a chance on Boston, did nothing with it.

Time honored RealGM tradition; has been happening for as long as I remember. I don't think it's just us though, I've seen other fanbases do the same, though for some reason we double down on overrating long shot prospects once the player leaves our team.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,144

Post#119 » by Chandan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:57 pm

Pretty much over half of our current roster right now :lol:

Flynn precious banton Ochai nwora are in the same group.

Except when it comes to players not on our team the narrative is "let see how he does on a winning team" where as guys on the Raptors = "I like him"

In the end, garbage in garbage out after 2 seasons.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#120 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:21 pm

Chandan wrote:

Pretty much over half of our current roster right now :lol:

Flynn precious banton Ochai nwora are in the same group.

Except when it comes to players not on our team the narrative is "let see how he does on a winning team" where as guys on the Raptors = "I like him"

In the end, garbage in garbage out after 2 seasons.

Ochai and Precious in the same group is just plain wrong. We could get into the numbers and the reasons why, but you alreayd know them.

And as far as I know, pretty much nobody here liked Flynn and nobody thinks Nwora is back after this year. We've always had a more bullish consensus on Banton than those 2 and I still think we all still do.

Return to Toronto Raptors