ImageImageImageImageImage

I Attended The Raptors Coaching Clinic and Open Practice, Some Takeaways

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Re: I Attended The Raptors Coaching Clinic and Open Practice, Some Takeaways 

Post#101 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:07 am

WaltFrazier wrote:
NBJ13 wrote:better than anything I've read from raptors media insiders

I was thinking the same. Hijinx is not a Raptors media guy but we all know Will Lou could not watch that session and write anything nearly as insightful. Could Grange, Blake, any of them?

I suppose to be fair they might not be able to be opinionated in a critical way as an outsider like H. Though that didn't stop Doug Smith from slandering Scottie so much last year.

Blake would probably be the only one.

But hey, we've got mega brain comments like this one below, commenting about Hijinx's post. :lol:
Uneducated people thinks everything they read is real. People dont understand this post is his perspective and opinion an it doesnt make it true.
Props TZ!
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,568

Post#102 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:46 am

Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

I was thinking the same. Hijinx is not a Raptors media guy but we all know Will Lou could not watch that session and write anything nearly as insightful. Could Grange, Blake, any of them?

I suppose to be fair they might not be able to be opinionated in a critical way as an outsider like H. Though that didn't stop Doug Smith from slandering Scottie so much last year.

But hey, we've got mega brain comments like this one below, commenting about Hijinx's post. :lol:
Uneducated people thinks everything they read is real. People dont understand this post is his perspective and opinion an it doesnt make it true.

Blake Murphy and Samson Folk would be my picks.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,649

Post#103 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:20 pm

DG88 wrote:
Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

So why don't they do it? Or do it more often, if they do?

Or maybe I don't see their work.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Scase
RealGM

Post#104 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:25 pm

DG88 wrote:
Scase wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Ah yeah, I forgot about Folk!

WaltFrazier wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Scase wrote:Blake would probably be the only one.

Blake has broken things down with detail on podcasts etc, Folk does it on the RR youtube channel. As for the written form, my guess is they don't because it's not "Sexy" enough.
Props TZ!
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#105 » by goinrogue » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:33 pm

HiJINX, thank you! Loved this.
Random but who do you think raps will target in the draft after watching this coaching staff work? Interested to know your opinion.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#106 » by HiJiNX » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:53 pm

goinrogue wrote:HiJINX, thank you! Loved this.
Random but who do you think raps will target in the draft after watching this coaching staff work? Interested to know your opinion.

Appreciate it, thank you!

As far as who the Raps will target? Not sure, mostly because I haven’t done any sort of scouting for this draft. I typically like to do a lot of my scouting during the tournament (for American prospects) since a lot can be revealed about a player in high leverage situations against other good teams. So in a month or so I’ll definitely have more of an opinion but for now I don’t have one. That said, this new version of the Raptors prioritizes:

-shooting
-passing
-intelligence
-team first attitude
-character

In fact, I think all of the five coaches who spoke at the open practice (including Darko) mentioned shooting as being the most important skill in basketball today. So whoever we draft, I expect them to either shoot well or have shooting potential.

Another random tidbit I just remembered, speaking of shooting.

-James Wade talked about how he fixed Mikael Bridge’s jump shot. Essentially, Bridges had too much volatility in getting the ball from the gather to release point, so Wade gave him one piece of advice—tuck your elbow to your body. Then Bridges rattled off five straight threes from a spot he was struggling from and has kept the adjustment ever since.

-with Gradey Dick’s shot, Ivo’s focus was on Dick’s feet, in particular, making sure that Dick was catching the ball with his feet set and shot ready, squared to the basket, improving his release time (whereas before, Gradey was setting his feet as he was catching the ball rather than receiving it with his feet already set).

So it’s the little things sometimes that makes a huge difference.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,680

Post#107 » by ConSarnit » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:54 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

We gotta get Hijinx into other team’s practices so we can compare what other coaches are doing and have him report back. This type of insight is far more valuable than whatever generic garbage (imo) Raptors media is usually putting out.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#108 » by johanliebert » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:32 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

Will's the one who stated he thinks Darko is a pushover. The pod boys are into blaming coaches and role players.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,143

Post#109 » by Chandan » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:08 pm

johanliebert wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

Will's the one who stated he thinks Darko is a pushover. The pod boys are into blaming coaches and role players.

only when it's undeniable that the team sucks. The blames gotta go somewhere for content.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#110 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:11 pm

There's so much player movement this year, I'm not sure what I can glean from his coaching.

I'll say this,

turnovers
defensive rebounding
defensive rotations

This better be a lot better next year. Lot of sloppiness this year.
Scase
RealGM

Post#111 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 pm

HiJiNX wrote:

As far as who the Raps will target? Not sure, mostly because I haven’t done any sort of scouting for this draft. I typically like to do a lot of my scouting during the tournament (for American prospects) since a lot can be revealed about a player in high leverage situations against other good teams. So in a month or so I’ll definitely have more of an opinion but for now I don’t have one. That said, this new version of the Raptors prioritizes:

-shooting
-passing
-intelligence
-team first attitude
-character

In fact, I think all of the five coaches who spoke at the open practice (including Darko) mentioned shooting as being the most important skill in basketball today. So whoever we draft, I expect them to either shoot well or have shooting potential.

-James Wade talked about how he fixed Mikael Bridge’s jump shot. Essentially, Bridges had too much volatility in getting the ball from the gather to release point, so Wade gave him one piece of advice—tuck your elbow to your body. Then Bridges rattled off five straight threes from a spot he was struggling from and has kept the adjustment ever since.

-with Gradey Dick’s shot, Ivo’s focus was on Dick’s feet, in particular, making sure that Dick was catching the ball with his feet set and shot ready, squared to the basket, improving his release time (whereas before, Gradey was setting his feet as he was catching the ball rather than receiving it with his feet already set).

After seeing the changes made to Scotties shot, at this point I say, let the coaching staff cook.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#112 » by Scase » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:39 pm

Chandan wrote:
johanliebert wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

only when it's undeniable that the team sucks. The blames gotta go somewhere for content.

If only there was someone, higher up perhaps, that controls the outlook of the entire team.
Props TZ!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,471

Post#113 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
DG88 wrote:

Samson Folk is pretty good at breaking down the game. I'm not sure I've ever read anything particularly insightful from Blake Murphy though.
bonjovi0308
Veteran
And1: 889

Post#114 » by bonjovi0308 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:41 am

HiJiNX wrote:

-shooting
-passing
-intelligence
-team first attitude
-character

Great posts HiJinx.
I hope the management has learnt their mistakes and stop putting clones (i.e. everyone must be 6'9") on the court at the same time. While shooting is important, there is no point to put all 5 players who can shoot, but have other notable flaws. This is team sports, and ideally, we need to put different pieces together so the players can compliment with each others skill set. We already have shooters in Quickley and Dick (both are likely to be starters), and RJB, Barnes, Poetl, Kelly O aren't likely going anywhere soon. Adding Ochai we have 7 players already. I think we need someone who can play sound defense, maybe ideally a young Siakam when he first entered the league in the first 2 years....
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#115 » by HiJiNX » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:41 pm

bonjovi0308 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

-shooting
-passing
-intelligence
-team first attitude
-character

Great posts HiJinx.
I hope the management has learnt their mistakes and stop putting clones (i.e. everyone must be 6'9") on the court at the same time. While shooting is important, there is no point to put all 5 players who can shoot, but have other notable flaws. This is team sports, and ideally, we need to put different pieces together so the players can compliment with each others skill set. We already have shooters in Quickley and Dick (both are likely to be starters), and RJB, Barnes, Poetl, Kelly O aren't likely going anywhere soon. Adding Ochai we have 7 players already. I think we need someone who can play sound defense, maybe ideally a young Siakam when he first entered the league in the first 2 years....

I agree in principle, but based on what was said at the open practice, I don’t think we are going to see a player that can’t shoot play any minutes on this team. The philosophy now is everybody needs to be able to shoot.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#116 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:02 pm

The uneducated comment is a little far because there are a lot of really smart people who do the same thing, but the main point of his comment is not wrong.

People tend to read something that confirms their bias and take it as gospel, and ignore stuff that questions their beliefs. You see it ALL the time on this forum.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#117 » by Zeno » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:53 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
bonjovi0308 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Appreciate it, thank you!

-shooting
-passing
-intelligence
-team first attitude
-character

Great posts HiJinx.

I agree in principle, but based on what was said at the open practice, I don’t think we are going to see a player that can’t shoot play any minutes on this team. The philosophy now is everybody needs to be able to shoot.

I wonder what that might mean for Jak’s future with the team. I think we need someone with his size and strength for rebounding, defence and finding a shooting 5 at his size that can defend is an extremely rare. From watching the team, I would have thought that passing was the priority with shooting as a close 2nd. I guess if we see Gary back we’ll find out which is a higher priority. In the draft, they might see something in a player’s shot that is very correctable and makes them undervalued.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Scase
RealGM

Post#118 » by Scase » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Zeno wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
bonjovi0308 wrote:
Great posts HiJinx.

I wonder what that might mean for Jak’s future with the team. I think we need someone with his size and strength for rebounding, defence and finding a shooting 5 at his size that can defend is an extremely rare. From watching the team, I would have thought that passing was the priority with shooting as a close 2nd. I guess if we see Gary back we’ll find out which is a higher priority. In the draft, they might see something in a player’s shot that is very correctable and makes them undervalued.

Improved team defence would allow us to start/play Olynyk more, which gives us shooting from the 5. Jak has his uses, but ultimately he's "out of date", centres with zero range are a dying breed, and overall detrimental to a team.
Props TZ!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#119 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:21 pm

One thing that should be apparent is that an open practice will not be an honest practice. Players and coaches know they're being watched by outsiders and it's a bit of a performance. If you want to see if there's buy-in, the games are the best place. You can tell what the team is trying to accomplish and which players are routinely capable but failing to play for the team.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#120 » by Zeno » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:27 pm

Scase wrote:
Zeno wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:I agree in principle, but based on what was said at the open practice, I don’t think we are going to see a player that can’t shoot play any minutes on this team. The philosophy now is everybody needs to be able to shoot.

Improved team defence would allow us to start/play Olynyk more, which gives us shooting from the 5. Jak has his uses, but ultimately he's "out of date", centres with zero range are a dying breed, and overall detrimental to a team.

I don’t believe you can ever have a successful defence with Kelly at the 5. Kelly is a backup 5 at best and the 4/5 you pair with him better be an elite rim protector. But I do agree Jak is of a dying breed. Right now, I think he’d ideally be on a team like the Grizzlies who got a guy like Ja.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors