ImageImageImageImageImage

MADNESS 2024 — Official NCAA Tournament Thread 2024

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,157

Re: MADNESS 2024 — Official NCAA Tournament Thread 2024 

Post#201 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:40 am

kieferli wrote:This game remind me why I don’t watch NCAA :lol:

Yeah, not a great showcase for the game. I thought the big vs. big battle would be intriguing, but it petered out when Edey lost his confidence and Clingan got in foul trouble.

Did you watch the women's game last night? Now THAT was a showcase.
ebo
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#202 » by ebo » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:45 am

I am an Edey truther. Not that he will be a superstar, but that he will be a good NBA player and first round pick. There is way too much group think going on and willful ignorance of the stats this guy is putting up.

Can't play defense in the stretch NBA? Brooke Lopez is somehow huge and slow, yet is a beast in drop coverage defense.

Only scoring because he's so much bigger than everyone? He's so much bigger than anyone in the NBA too (other than like 4 guys).

Not to mention he has the stamina to play the entire game, has a post game, and is decent at free throws.

I just don't know how people look at a guy dropping 37 and 10 in that national championship (and third most points ever in the tournament) and think he's a scrub like Tacko Fall.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,838

Post#203 » by Live Free » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:46 am

Probably will be the one of of the worst drafts of all time…

Dalton kinecht looks like a hooper tho
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,339

Post#204 » by MainEvent » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:50 am

I think Purdue only had 5 3pt attempts going into the final 2 minutes and 1 was an end of 1st half full court heave. Totally shut down
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,412

Post#205 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:01 am

ebo wrote:I am an Edey truther. Not that he will be a superstar, but that he will be a good NBA player and first round pick. There is way too much group think going on and willful ignorance of the stats this guy is putting up.

Can't play defense in the stretch NBA? Brooke Lopez is somehow huge and slow, yet is a beast in drop coverage defense.

Only scoring because he's so much bigger than everyone? He's so much bigger than anyone in the NBA too (other than like 4 guys).

Not to mention he has the stamina to play the entire game, has a post game, and is decent at free throws.

I just don't know how people look at a guy dropping 37 and 10 in that national championship (and third most points ever in the tournament) and think he's a scrub like Tacko Fall.

Brook Lopez is a miles better athlete than Zach Edey even at age 36 or whatever the hell he is. Edey literally can’t even move against college kids. A simple PnR will play him off the floor at the next level every single time.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,289

Post#206 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:05 am

Live Free wrote:Probably will be the one of of the worst drafts of all time…

Dalton kinecht looks like a hooper tho

Probably a bench scorer, his defense isnt good currently.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,449

Post#207 » by tdotrep2 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:35 am

i think filipowski is being slept on a bit. Not saying he's some top prospect but I think he's got really good potential. Markanen esque.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,537

Post#208 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:37 am

XTC wrote:
He honestly reminds me of Bogut in so many ways. He's in my top 5.

Bogut seemed way better offensively though.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,413

Post#209 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:39 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
ebo wrote:I am an Edey truther. Not that he will be a superstar, but that he will be a good NBA player and first round pick. There is way too much group think going on and willful ignorance of the stats this guy is putting up.

Brook Lopez is a miles better athlete than Zach Edey even at age 36 or whatever the hell he is. Edey literally can’t even move against college kids. A simple PnR will play him off the floor at the next level every single time.

Edey could not afford to get in foul trouble, he was the entire offense. That's why he only contested when it was at the rim and avoided situations where he could get called for fouls, it was by design. He's more mobile and a better athlete than people think. It's still a question market how his game translates over but those factors I mentioned I think made him appear to be a worse defender than he really is.

If you want to look at combine testing, Edey posted a 11.37 lane agility and 3.45 3/4 sprint time. Brook Lopez posted a 12.77 lane agility and 3.57 3/4 sprint time.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#210 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:47 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Edey could not afford to get in foul trouble, he was the entire offense. That's why he only contested when it was at the rim and avoided situations where he could get called for fouls, it was by design. He's more mobile and a better athlete than people think. It's still a question market how his game translates over but those factors I mentioned I think made him appear to be a worse defender than he really is.

If you want to look at combine testing, Edey posted a 11.37 lane agility and 3.45 3/4 sprint time. Brook Lopez posted a 12.77 lane agility and 3.57 3/4 sprint time.

Edey not moving well enough to guard PnRs against college kids had exactly nothing to do with avoiding foul trouble. It had to do with him being one of the worst movers in the NCAA. The vast majority of teams in the country just aren’t skilled enough to take advantage of that but UConn did. It will only get even worse for him against better athletes and shooters at the next level.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#211 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:00 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Brook Lopez is a miles better athlete than Zach Edey even at age 36 or whatever the hell he is. Edey literally can’t even move against college kids. A simple PnR will play him off the floor at the next level every single time.

Edey not moving well enough to guard PnRs against college kids had exactly nothing to do with avoiding foul trouble. It had to do with him being one of the worst movers in the NCAA. The vast majority of teams in the country just aren’t skilled enough to take advantage of that but UConn did. It will only get even worse for him against better athletes and shooters at the next level.

The point is they didn't want him to show at all in PnR coverage to avoid picking up fouls because of his importance to the offense.
When do you ever see someone 7"4 and 300 lbs playing the entire game? You might turn out to be correct that he can't guard PnR at all in the NBA, but I'll reserve judgement till we see him on an NBA court.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,190

Post#212 » by HiJiNX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:02 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Brook Lopez is a miles better athlete than Zach Edey even at age 36 or whatever the hell he is. Edey literally can’t even move against college kids. A simple PnR will play him off the floor at the next level every single time.

Yeah agreed. Also people need to stop deferring to combine measurements to say someone is a good or a poor athlete. Combine stats don’t take into account fatigue, reaction time, general awareness and spatial intelligence, physical coordination, hand eye coordination, explosiveness through contact, etc. The best way to measure athleticism is to watch what players can do in game situations. It’s like that guy at the park who can only dunk off alley oops while shooting around because they can’t coordinate themselves or explode through contact in a game situation.

Based on what I saw last night, Edey has a long way to go. And it’s not just because of his foot speed, but his awareness/reaction time isn’t great. And he needs to work on his coordination, ironically, when he doesn’t have the ball. His arm placement for contesting shots and deterring drives could use lots of work.

You look at a guy like Jokic…terrible athlete on paper but his awareness and instincts are off the charts. He’s also phenomenally coordinated. That stuff doesn’t show up in the combine.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#213 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:03 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

The point is they didn't want him to show at all in PnR coverage to avoid picking up fouls because of his importance to the offense.
When do you ever see someone 7"4 and 300 lbs playing the entire game? You might turn out to be correct that he can't guard PnR at all in the NBA, but I'll reserve judgement till we see him on an NBA court.

Purdue never has him show because they are all aware he can’t move quick enough to recover. It’s the only thing they can do defensively with him and fortunately for them the vast majority of teams in the country don’t have the personnel to make them pay for it.

And if you want a taste of what he will look like defensively against NBA level athletes, watch the FIBA World Cup games he entered last year. It wasn’t pretty.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,157

Post#214 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:12 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Yeah agreed. Also people need to stop deferring to combine measurements to say someone is a good or a poor athlete. Combine stats don’t take into account fatigue, reaction time, general awareness and spatial intelligence, physical coordination, hand eye coordination, explosiveness through contact, etc. The best way to measure athleticism is to watch what players can do in game situations. It’s like that guy at the park who can only dunk off alley oops while shooting around because they can’t coordinate themselves or explode through contact in a game situation.

Based on what I saw last night, Edey has a long way to go. And it’s not just because of his foot speed, but his awareness/reaction time isn’t great. And he needs to work on his coordination, ironically, when he doesn’t have the ball. His arm placement for contesting shots and deterring drives could use lots of work.

You look at a guy like Jokic…terrible athlete on paper but his awareness and instincts are off the charts. He’s also phenomenally coordinated. That stuff doesn’t show up in the combine.

And you could see that last night side by side (literally) with Clingan. Clingan has a much faster reaction time than Edey, which made him an intimidating defender. Edey looked like an old stop-action King Kong (ironically) movie out there.

Of course Clingan has zero offensive game, and shoots FTs 100 point below what Jak did in college.

I remember watching Brook Lopez in his rookie year when the Nets played the Raps. He looked so good. I would have been willing to trade Bosh for him immediately. I suspect Mustard Tiger would have, too. :lol:
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#215 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:17 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Edey not moving well enough to guard PnRs against college kids had exactly nothing to do with avoiding foul trouble. It had to do with him being one of the worst movers in the NCAA. The vast majority of teams in the country just aren’t skilled enough to take advantage of that but UConn did. It will only get even worse for him against better athletes and shooters at the next level.

And you could see that last night side by side (literally) with Clingan. Clingan has a much faster reaction time than Edey, which made him an intimidating defender. Edey looked like an old stop-action King Kong (ironically) movie out there.

Of course Clingan has zero offensive game, and shoots FTs 100 point below what Jak did in college.

It's why Clingan is gonna get drafted in the top 10 and why Edey is gonna be fighting to get drafted in the 1st round again like last year (unless some team is crazy enough to waste a lottery pick on him). It remains unclear if Clingan will get good enough offensively to be anything more than a rotation big but at least teams know he's got the defensive side covered enough to be playable.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,823

Post#216 » by ash_k » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:23 pm

I dont know if his style can translate to the Pro, however I would trade Darko and that Det pick to UCONN for Dan Hurley..Somebody like Jay Wright has always 'looked like' he could be on a NBA Bench; it has always surprised me that he has never tried it.

Then again they could all be Billy Donovans: To this day, I still dont know what Bill Donovan's style is
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#217 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:36 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:

Most people consider him a complete stiff, when I say better athlete than people think it's over a very low bar. Nobody is saying he is even an average NBA athlete overall but he is quite good for his size. Edey also had a late start, he only has been playing basketball for 7 years.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,914

Post#218 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:42 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Yeah agreed. Also people need to stop deferring to combine measurements to say someone is a good or a poor athlete. Combine stats don’t take into account fatigue, reaction time, general awareness and spatial intelligence, physical coordination, hand eye coordination, explosiveness through contact, etc. The best way to measure athleticism is to watch what players can do in game situations. It’s like that guy at the park who can only dunk off alley oops while shooting around because they can’t coordinate themselves or explode through contact in a game situation.

It's why Clingan is gonna get drafted in the top 10 and why Edey is gonna be fighting to get drafted in the 1st round again like last year (unless some team is crazy enough to waste a lottery pick on him). It remains unclear if Clingan will get good enough offensively to be anything more than a rotation big but at least teams know he's got the defensive side covered enough to be playable.

If Edey is available at the Pacers pick I grab him without hesitation. He will be in the national program develpment and getting up and down at Rico runs for however laboured that might appear to be.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by PushDaRock » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:49 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Edey not moving well enough to guard PnRs against college kids had exactly nothing to do with avoiding foul trouble. It had to do with him being one of the worst movers in the NCAA. The vast majority of teams in the country just aren’t skilled enough to take advantage of that but UConn did. It will only get even worse for him against better athletes and shooters at the next level.

Purdue never has him show because they are all aware he can’t move quick enough to recover. It’s the only thing they can do defensively with him and fortunately for them the vast majority of teams in the country don’t have the personnel to make them pay for it.

And if you want a taste of what he will look like defensively against NBA level athletes, watch the FIBA World Cup games he entered last year. It wasn’t pretty.

As a scheme fit with their personnel, it made sense for them to play mostly drop coverage regardless. I am just saying avoiding foul trouble also played a part in that decision.

NBA bigs have trouble adapting to FIBA. You're throwing in a college player into a FIBA game, of course he's not going to look amazing. He still had some good moments defensively against USA.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,190

Post#220 » by HiJiNX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:53 pm

PushDaRock wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:

Most people consider him a complete stiff, when I say better athlete than people think it's over a very low bar. Nobody is saying he is even an average NBA athlete overall but he is quite good for his size. Edey also had a late start, he only has been playing basketball for 7 years.

I agree that he gets up and down the floor well and actually slides his feet pretty well, especially given his size. It’s his reaction time, change of direction, hip turning that concerns me.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive

Return to Toronto Raptors