ImageImageImageImageImage

Edey @ #32?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should Raps target Zac Edey @ #32

Yes
54%
No
28%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 120

Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Re: Edey @ #32? 

Post#81 » by Cyrus » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:03 pm

Hell naw, we don't need a situational big, who would have limited roll, or certain matchups.

We already have that type of player in Yak, who is at time situational.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#82 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:06 pm

Dalek wrote:It is from a couple years ago and since then both Chet and Zach improved, but you can see the limitations and benefits of Zach's size.

Zach has to stay close to the basket and against speed and shooting it nullifies him.

The game Edey had 16/16/3 (blocks) and was +3 in a game we lost by 6 in 26 mins, is a game he was nullified?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#83 » by disoblige » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
disoblige wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.

Basketball or sports isnt a kids game. More like a fun fitness hobby for anyone. Most kids don’t even have the strength to shoot a ball into a official hoop at a distance.

There's 3 hoops on my street, and I don't see adults using them :lol: Most adults don't have the ankles, knees and back to play basketball. But the emphasis of that statement is sports are relatively trivial.

Those are probably teenagers, not children (0-12 yrs old). Like other sports, they have fitness requirements to play. You don't play competitive sports if you have obesity, a bad back, or an ankle injury. The two most used free courts in Scarborough are presumably Jack Godlan Park and L'Amoureux Community Centre and I have seen seniours (+50) play as long they are fit, its generally mix ages (16-50). You can join a facebook basketball group or tournaments, I highly doubt you see only "kids" there.

Sports provide social interaction, physical fitness, and amusement, necessary components of a healthy life. Which are not trivial.
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#84 » by JJ From Deep » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:00 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.

This take is weirder than the other weirdness you see here. Lmao it's a game, but in what world is a high-intensity sport like NBA basketball, requiring some of the most gifted, talented, and skilled athletes the earth has ever produced (who are all grown men by the way), a "children's game"? Sport is sport, you obviously try to create some controls around leagues so competition is fair but sport as a concept sees no limit or restriction on age, gender, ethnicity, and that's the beautiful thing about it. It brings people together regardless of any of that. Referring to sports as something as trivial as a "children"s game" is what's actually childish
dkb964
Junior
And1: 182

Post#85 » by dkb964 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:42 pm

Mocks drafts can be taken with a grain of salt, but all the ones I have seen have him as a 1st round pick.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#86 » by TGM » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
TGM wrote:Wouldn't mind Edey at 32. But people should have their expectations managed. If you go back and watch him play athletic 5s he streams to struggle to guard and finish.

When he played Chet, it was a very tough match-up for him. He is great posting up for position, but unless he gets position his quickness is non-existent and he gets blocked face-up often despite his height.

That was 3 yrs ago, not sure how relevant it is now. Chet was the PF in that lineup.

In that game:

Edey 16 pts, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks, +3
Chet 12 pts, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, -11

I'd say at worse that was kind of even.

Edey puts up great stats in college, but in the game you can really see Edey struggle against a quicker guy like Chet.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,729

Post#87 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

He's basically a version of the Shaq/Yao model.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,518

Post#88 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 pm

Shaq.in his early days was an althetic freak for his size. In his prime, he was one of the greatest bigman of all time. Maybe Edey can be the 30+ year old, heavier, slower, less mobile role player Shaq that he became towards the end of his career.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#89 » by MEDIC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 pm

I like Edey & I do think he will go first round. If he went late lottery, I wouldn't be surprised either.

I definitely think the Raps should take him if available in the 2nd round. I would be fine with taking him with the Pacers pick as well. If they elect to use the Indy pick on him, I will assume that they see some potential in developing his passing game & his 3 point shot. He didn't start playing basketball until grade 10, so he is kind of like Siakam. Older rookie with tons of development potential left. Everything I have read about him suggests that he is a competitor & a worker.

I think he does have some potential to be a stretch big. He shot does not appear broken & the 3's that he was making at the pro day workout looked pretty smooth.

* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 578

Post#90 » by Gavin_TDThree » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

MEDIC wrote:I like Edey & I do think he will go first round. If he went late lottery, I wouldn't be surprised either.

I definitely think the Raps should take him if available in the 2nd round. I would be fine with taking him with the Pacers pick as well. If they elect to use the Indy pick on him, I will assume that they see some potential in developing his passing game & his 3 point shot. He didn't start playing basketball until grade 10, so he is kind of like Siakam. Older rookie with tons of development potential left. Everything I have read about him suggests that he is a competitor & a worker.

I think he does have some potential to be a stretch big. He shot does not appear broken & the 3's that he was making at the pro day workout looked pretty smooth.

It's a lot smoother than I expected. Having a face up game will open him up a ton, plus at his size with his ball IQ I can see him being a solid playmaker out of the high post. Defence is really where it's going to make or break his career. A good coach can find a way to maximize his strengths while hiding his weaknesses.

SB is an elite off ball/weak side defender so maybe it'd work. If you can pair Edey with an above average point of attack defender I can see the fit.

Would love to grab him and see what he can do!
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#91 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Cyrus wrote:Hell naw, we don't need a situational big, who would have limited roll, or certain matchups.

We already have that type of player in Yak, who is at time situational.

If you get a situational big at 32 you consider that a win.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
traps#10
Head Coach
And1: 8,364

Post#92 » by traps#10 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:04 pm

I wouldn’t mind getting him at 32, I just find it weird that we are signing so many guards on 10 days instead of focusing on a PF or C when we are clearly undersized at the moment
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,978

Post#93 » by MEDIC » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 pm

Gavin_TDThree wrote:SB is an elite off ball/weak side defender so maybe it'd work. If you can pair Edey with an above average point of attack defender I can see the fit.

I was thinking the same about SB/ ZE. Kind of like Lopez/ Giannis dynamic.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#94 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 pm

traps#10 wrote:I wouldn’t mind getting him at 32, I just find it weird that we are signing so many guards on 10 days instead of focusing on a PF or C when we are clearly undersized at the moment

cant accidentally win games.

Also, our team lacks guards. When we are fully healthy we really don't need a PF/C as much as we need a backup PG.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Gavin_TDThree
Senior
And1: 578

Post#95 » by Gavin_TDThree » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Gavin_TDThree wrote:SB is an elite off ball/weak side defender so maybe it'd work. If you can pair Edey with an above average point of attack defender I can see the fit.

I was thinking the same about SB/ ZE. Kind of like Lopez/ Giannis dynamic.

That's a great comparison! When they had Jrue as the point of attack defender that team was unreal to watch. Can Quickley become that guy? Probably not. But if we can find that guy in this draft then things start getting interesting.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#96 » by disoblige » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 pm

Nbadraft.net has edey dropping lower than 32.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 458

Post#97 » by Smalltown » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:If you get a situational big at 32 you consider that a win.

I mean if you get a situational big at 17-18 that's a win in most drafts too.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,278

Post#98 » by Tor_Raps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
traps#10 wrote:I wouldn’t mind getting him at 32, I just find it weird that we are signing so many guards on 10 days instead of focusing on a PF or C when we are clearly undersized at the moment

cant accidentally win games.

Also, our team lacks guards. When we are fully healthy we really don't need a PF/C as much as we need a backup PG.

This team desperately needs a starting SF/PF, backup PG and backup C. Getting that starting SF/PF might be tough but there is 0 reason why we cant prioritize getting the other two this offseason.

Now whether our management knows these things im totally unsure of. We havent had a good backup PG and backup C since 2020.
Jeremy Lin 7
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,265

Post#99 » by Jeremy Lin 7 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:57 pm

Edey will get destroyed by NBA level guards. You're asking him to play drop coverage exclusively, and will get destroyed on any switches.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,729

Post#100 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:03 am

Jeremy Lin 7 wrote:Edey will get destroyed by NBA level guards. You're asking him to play drop coverage exclusively, and will get destroyed on any switches.

Funnel them to him. Coaches can game plan this stuff, it's not that big of a deal.

Return to Toronto Raptors