ImageImageImageImageImage

Edey @ #32?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should Raps target Zac Edey @ #32

Yes
54%
No
28%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 120

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Re: Edey @ #32? 

Post#61 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:I haven’t watched him play at all this season but I was never high on him, even when he was in high school. He’s a bench player in the NBA, assuming he sticks. When you’re that height you either have to be able to shoot or be so lethal 15 feet in that it justifies the weaknesses in a very fast and switchable NBA that proves challenging for big plodding guys.

You have to appreciate the confidence while claiming ignorance. fwiw, he averages 11.2 FTA/game this year in college. He is lethal 15 ft in, to the extent he gets fouled more than Shaq and David Robinson ever did.

Your high end comparison is Walker Kessler, who averaged 2.6 FTA at Auburn when teams were incentivized to put him on the line.

Let’s see how it goes in the NBA.

You really need to stop following me around to “rebuke” my takes. It’s weird behaviour.

I spend my time here "rebuking" a lot of takes from a lot of people because I like to debate topics in the NBA. It might be that you post a lot and tend to respond to counterpoints that gives you this impression. It's not personal or intentional. Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#62 » by HiJiNX » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:17 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
You have to appreciate the confidence while claiming ignorance. fwiw, he averages 11.2 FTA/game this year in college. He is lethal 15 ft in, to the extent he gets fouled more than Shaq and David Robinson ever did.

Your high end comparison is Walker Kessler, who averaged 2.6 FTA at Auburn when teams were incentivized to put him on the line.

Let’s see how it goes in the NBA.

You really need to stop following me around to “rebuke” my takes. It’s weird behaviour.

I spend my time here "rebuking" a lot of takes from a lot of people because I like to debate topics in the NBA. It might be that you post a lot and tend to respond to counterpoints that gives you this impression. It's not personal or intentional. Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.

Hahaha fair enough. This was funny. Good stuff.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,728

Post#63 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:33 pm

In a draft this weak, I'd be shocked if he's there at 15 tbh.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,515

Post#64 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:25 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:In a draft this weak, I'd be shocked if he's there at 15 tbh.

In this draft, there will players projected to go in the 20s, 2nd round that will be taken in the the lottery and players projected in the lottery that will go late 1st, 2nd round.

I expect more freak-outs than normal here if/when the Raps go against consensus, if there is even a consensus. Draft boards from team to team will likely vary more widely than normal.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#65 » by ItsDanger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:09 pm

When selecting a player in this mold, have to consider the impact of drop coverage tactic (give up long 2s, contested 3s, rim is protected). Many teams aren't even good in mid range. Obviously a team like Phoenix would be an issue, but they're in the West.

One of the bigger issues really is using a player like this requires absolute buy in from the other players, sacrifice. I'm not sure if that's even possible today with so much money depending on your counting stats.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#66 » by TGM » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 am

Wouldn't mind Edey at 32. But people should have their expectations managed. If you go back and watch him play athletic 5s he streams to struggle to guard and finish.

When he played Chet, it was a very tough match-up for him. He is great posting up for position, but unless he gets position his quickness is non-existent and he gets blocked face-up often despite his height.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#67 » by disoblige » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:18 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.

Basketball or sports isnt a kids game. More like a fun fitness hobby for anyone. Most kids don’t even have the strength to shoot a ball into a official hoop at a distance.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#68 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:28 am

I’d rather take a gamble on Hansen Yang.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#69 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:30 am

TGM wrote:Wouldn't mind Edey at 32. But people should have their expectations managed. If you go back and watch him play athletic 5s he streams to struggle to guard and finish.

When he played Chet, it was a very tough match-up for him. He is great posting up for position, but unless he gets position his quickness is non-existent and he gets blocked face-up often despite his height.

Like a more skilled Hasheem Thabeet but still might not be mobile enough to be better than Zubac or Boban.

#31, I want to try and hit on someone like Desmond Bane, Gilbert Arenas or Jimmy Butler!!!

Maybe with the 2nd day of drafting teams have time to let the dust settle and more likely a team trades two 2nds for #31 if they think someone they liked dropped.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#70 » by ItsDanger » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 am

TGM wrote:Wouldn't mind Edey at 32. But people should have their expectations managed. If you go back and watch him play athletic 5s he streams to struggle to guard and finish.

That was 3 yrs ago, not sure how relevant it is now. Chet was the PF in that lineup.

In that game:

Edey 16 pts, 16 rebounds, 3 blocks, +3
Chet 12 pts, 8 rebounds, 6 blocks, -11

I'd say at worse that was kind of even.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,338

Post#71 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 am

Waste of a pick. He's not mobile or skilled enough to play significant minutes in this version of the NBA. Maybe 20-30 years ago it would have worked.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#72 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 am

right now, take the best talent available cuz this team needs a bench and some starters. can't pick just based off of positional needs. Raptors need everything right now.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Re: Edney @ #32? 

Post#73 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:39 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Spelling a guys first and last name when there is 8 letters total is impressive

It's the 2nd time I've seen it within hours. I think the reddit guy had both names different than this guy, so it's not even the same guy.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#74 » by SharoneWright » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:48 am

It’s spelt Zachille O’Neal
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 445

Post#75 » by CazOnReal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:08 am

Depends on if Chomche is available
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#76 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 am

disoblige wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Everything we do on this board is 'weird' :lol: we're grown-ups talking about a kids game like it's world politics using fake identities.

Basketball or sports isnt a kids game. More like a fun fitness hobby for anyone. Most kids don’t even have the strength to shoot a ball into a official hoop at a distance.

There's 3 hoops on my street, and I don't see adults using them :lol: Most adults don't have the ankles, knees and back to play basketball. But the emphasis of that statement is sports are relatively trivial.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,806

Post#77 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:05 pm

Soneone in the West will take him too early to try and be a future match-up for Wembanyama. There's going to be too much FOMO around this kid. He's already 22 though. Maybe he stayed because he got paid more, but he wouldn't have gone first round last year when he was POY. Or wasn't projected to have gone in the first round.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,515

Post#78 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm

I see some Roy Hibbert in him as well. But Hibbert didn't age well as the NBA moved towards a faster paced game. I think there's a role for him in the NBA , the question is, how big.

I can see a scenario where he's a valuable drop big who alters shots at the basket and finishes efficiently around the rim, but there's also a scenario where he just can't keep up with the speed of the game and he's played off the court a lot.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,221

Post#79 » by niQ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:50 pm

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him at 32. He'll likely be gone late first round though...
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#80 » by Dalek » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:00 pm

It is from a couple years ago and since then both Chet and Zach improved, but you can see the limitations and benefits of Zach's size.

Zach has to stay close to the basket and against speed and shooting it nullifies him.

Return to Toronto Raptors