ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

kingz3290
Sophomore
And1: 116

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#141 » by kingz3290 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:44 am

let him walk.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,902

Post#142 » by deeps6x » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:52 am

TimeForChange wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=qt3Vqy7rNbyneoNo3e4Wsw

52%, just like Reed Sheppard
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,019

Post#143 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:00 am

dagger wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:If any 3 point shooter is getting a bag thrown his way it should be Grayson Allen first.

And his D is much more consistent than Gary's and the Suns are more limited than Toronto in what they can offer in a new contract. Just offering the most they can, it would cost Phoenix something like $70 million in salary and tax per season.

Allen can sign an extension for 4/75 and he hasn't. I don't know who's end but I assume its on his end. That's a starting salary of 16+ Mil the first year, slightly over the MLE. Nah. Might as well bet on yourself if you're him.

Not sure people here are being real about what Trent will get, here or elswhere, but if Allen is turning that down is much more, since they are somewhat similar.

I think his deal probably STARTS at 18-22 the first year.
Darkseid
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,397

Post#144 » by Darkseid » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:08 am

Let him go.

Seen enough. Not a winning player. Let Dick have his chance to grow.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,902

Post#145 » by deeps6x » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:24 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
dagger wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:If any 3 point shooter is getting a bag thrown his way it should be Grayson Allen first.

And his D is much more consistent than Gary's and the Suns are more limited than Toronto in what they can offer in a new contract. Just offering the most they can, it would cost Phoenix something like $70 million in salary and tax per season.

Allen can sign an extension for 4/75 and he hasn't. I don't know who's end but I assume its on his end. That's a starting salary of 16+ Mil the first year, slightly over the MLE. Nah. Might as well bet on yourself if you're him.

Not sure people here are being real about what Trent will get, here or elswhere, but if Allen is turning that down is much more, since they are somewhat similar.

I wish we could swap GTJ for Allen. He's more efficient, a better defender, and a better 3 point shooter. But... he's 28, looking for a four year deal, and probably at the peak of his prime right now. He's had KD, Beal and Booker drawing double teams, leaving him a lot more open then Gary this season. If we can retain Gary at a reasonable salary, we should probably do it. Allen will get a much larger deal most likely. It'll hurt the Suns, but they can't afford to let him go either.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,710

Post#146 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:28 am

kingz3290 wrote:let him walk.

Gotta keep up the yearly tradition of letting starters leave for nothing.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,355

Post#147 » by tanuki1031 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:33 am

Whatever anyone is thinking about giving to GTJ I'd rather have that tacked on to pay Malik Monk, especially if GTJ will be seeking a floor of $20M a year.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,388

Post#148 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:37 am

C_Money wrote:

Yep, let them walk rather than overpaying them, especially if they are not part of the top 6.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,190

Post#149 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:59 am

C_Money wrote:

Absolutely, especially if he's asking too much or another team is willing to overpay him.

Also, he's only a starter due to the circumstances; he's really a bench player.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,190

Post#150 » by gp2015 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:06 am

TimeForChange wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=qt3Vqy7rNbyneoNo3e4Wsw

Doesn't that mean that he's shooting roughly ~30% on contested 3s then?
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,710

Post#151 » by C_Money » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:15 am

gp2015 wrote:
C_Money wrote:

Absolutely, especially if he's asking too much or another team is willing to overpay him.

Also, he's only a starter due to the circumstances; he's really a bench player.

He’s on par with Tim Hardaway Jr who’s making $18 million/year. I have no problem re-signing Gary at that price.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#152 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:38 am

What about Mac McClung for the minimum?

Or should they just find and MLE player to take Trent's spot?
Tripod
Head Coach
And1: 6,301

Post#153 » by Tripod » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:59 am

Simple question.

Gary was essentially a FA thus past summer but he and his agent knew the offers were not coming, so opted in.

What has he done this year to get the offers that were not there last year?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#154 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 4:05 am

Tripod wrote:Simple question.

Gary was essentially a FA thus past summer but he and his agent knew the offers were not coming, so opted in.

What has he done this year to get the offers that were not there last year?

Would he sign for the MLE with max raises and an opt out after 3 years? :D
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,835

Post#155 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:37 am

I’m not really high on him, but hes played his way into a nice contract shooting 40 percent finally from deep. Grain of salt here though in a bunch of tank games. But I feel we have to bring him back. Having two elite 40 percent 3 point snipers in the starting lineup is a must when you have Poeltl/RJ/Scottie.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,752

Post#156 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:13 am

Long term, he won’t work beside IQ defensively. Same is true for the potential replacement options (e.g. Monk) and yet it’s critical we get a 3 point shooter in the lineup if we’re rolling with IQ/Barrett/Scottie/Poeltl. Grades isn’t a 2 so I think you re-sign Gary if you can.

What about a declining 3 year deal that pays him next year while Barnes is still on his rookie deal? What we pay him next year honestly doesn’t matter as we won’t be a cap team for the foreseeable future with a re-signed IQ and extended Scottie. Try and get a more attractive number on the back end by overpaying on the front end and position him as an asset over the next few years.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 506

Post#157 » by islandboy53 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:26 am

deeps6x wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
dagger wrote:

I wish we could swap GTJ for Allen. He's more efficient, a better defender, and a better 3 point shooter. But... he's 28, looking for a four year deal, and probably at the peak of his prime right now. He's had KD, Beal and Booker drawing double teams, leaving him a lot more open then Gary this season. If we can retain Gary at a reasonable salary, we should probably do it. Allen will get a much larger deal most likely. It'll hurt the Suns, but they can't afford to let him go either.

The Suns have no way to replace Allen. They have his bird rights, so can give him whatever is needed to keep him. He’s not going anywhere.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,752

Post#158 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:49 am

islandboy53 wrote:
deeps6x wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

The Suns have no way to replace Allen. They have his bird rights, so can give him whatever is needed to keep him. He’s not going anywhere.

Allen only signed a 2 year deal with the Bucks so the Suns only have his early bird rights which allows for 175% of previous salary which would be ~$15m for Allen. I think he can get more. Suns may not be able to bring him back.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#159 » by Rapsalot » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:45 am

So the true MLE is not know yet but likely about 12.8 and 13.5. I would offer three years $13, 14, 15 (mil) with last year a team option.
His value is full MLE since he if fairly one dimensional. This way he will make more than full MLE players and if he likes our team and city he will stay. If some team is dumb and offers Bruce Brown money then he goes and we get the $18.5 mil to find someone else. Between RJ, Grady and OA we have that spot covered and could get a 4th wing in FA.

Bruce will be gone and I would like Gary to stay but at contract above. I understand it is tough for a 25 year old NBA player to take pay cut but he has not played up to last contract. If he stays 3 years that would put him right in his prime and if he out players this contract the Raps or other team will give him bigger contract.
islandboy53
Rookie
And1: 506

Post#160 » by islandboy53 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:49 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
deeps6x wrote:

Allen only signed a 2 year deal with the Bucks so the Suns only have his early bird rights which allows for 175% of previous salary which would be ~$15m for Allen. I think he can get more. Suns may not be able to bring him back.

His current 2 years were an extension. Phoenix have full bird rights, which was part of the reason they acquired him. Confirm it on Spotrac if you want.

Return to Toronto Raptors