ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#241 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 pm

greekman wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
“Just being 10 toes down, no matter what situation is going on,” he said Friday when reflecting on his season. “Staying solid, being a good teammate no matter how I'm being treated or what's going on or thrown my way. Just staying solid, really just all the way through, and being able to finish the year healthy and going out there and trying to continue to keep playing.”

“To be honest it's really not my choice,” he said. “They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here. So again, at the end of the day, I would love to be anywhere I'm wanted, anywhere I can help contribute towards winning, anywhere that can see me as part of their future or sees me as part of something they got going on that would be great to be a part of..."

“Again, that opportunity [to start] only presented itself due to injuries,” he said. “Again, Year after year, time after time, never just: go ahead and do that. No, it’s always because that opportunity presented itself and I was ready for it, so just continue to stay ready and continue to show an improvement and continue to just try to contribute towards winning as much as I can.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/after-solid-year-with-raptors-trent-jr-s-future-a-key-off-season-question/

how ru spose to treat a guy who averages 9 ppg 29% shooting 1 month and 20 ppg 43% shooting the next in the same amount of playing time ?

I agree

I hope he walks

Too frustrating watching his inconsistency and style of play imo
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,405

Post#242 » by TimeForChange » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:15 pm

Read on Twitter

guess he's gone
Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 401

Post#243 » by Tom_Foolery » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:27 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
“Just being 10 toes down, no matter what situation is going on,” he said Friday when reflecting on his season. “Staying solid, being a good teammate no matter how I'm being treated or what's going on or thrown my way. Just staying solid, really just all the way through, and being able to finish the year healthy and going out there and trying to continue to keep playing.”

“To be honest it's really not my choice,” he said. “They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here. So again, at the end of the day, I would love to be anywhere I'm wanted, anywhere I can help contribute towards winning, anywhere that can see me as part of their future or sees me as part of something they got going on that would be great to be a part of..."

“Again, that opportunity [to start] only presented itself due to injuries,” he said. “Again, Year after year, time after time, never just: go ahead and do that. No, it’s always because that opportunity presented itself and I was ready for it, so just continue to stay ready and continue to show an improvement and continue to just try to contribute towards winning as much as I can.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/after-solid-year-with-raptors-trent-jr-s-future-a-key-off-season-question/

They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here."

This is exactly what I've been saying to everyone here. He has no role on the team. If he's not going to get a defined spot there's no point signing him.

He should be on a team like the Pistons or Hornets. He provide hard-work and stability that they need.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#244 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:48 am

Tom_Foolery wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here."

This is exactly what I've been saying to everyone here. He has no role on the team. If he's not going to get a defined spot there's no point signing him.

He should be on a team like the Pistons or Hornets. He provide hard-work and stability that they need.

Kind of sad because Gary is a good player and relatively young. It all sounds like everyone wins if he's not back. Raptors can redistribute his touches and nobody is screaming to start and... no sizeable money commitment when IQ gets paid. This team is IQ-Barrett-Gradey-Scottie-Poetl until it isn't. Bench is Kelly, Brown, JFL, maybe-hopefully lotto pick, Pacers pick, probably Pistons pick. Agbaji, Nwora, McDaniels, Garrett Temple, Boucher.

Cavs by comparison have great big men and Donovan Mitchell. We need Barrett to take another step.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#245 » by Scase » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:13 am

No hate on Gary at all, he seems like a nice guy, and put on some awesome performances. But, at the end of the day he's just way too inconsistent to be worth taking up a roster spot, and minutes from developing playings like Gradey.

If he was willing to be the 6th man, I would be fine with a 15ish mil/yr, but I want no part of him being a starter or playing more than 20mpg. But I have a feeling he doesn't want that either.
Props TZ!
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#246 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 am

can Dick just take Gary's place next year?
or we can just start Bruce Brown. missing a lot of 3 point shot... but also dont want to have to watch Gary anymore.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,746

Post#247 » by metafisical » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:12 am

I hope that fair contract offer is offered by another team.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 401

Post#248 » by Tom_Foolery » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:50 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:

Kind of sad because Gary is a good player and relatively young. It all sounds like everyone wins if he's not back. Raptors can redistribute his touches and nobody is screaming to start and... no sizeable money commitment when IQ gets paid. This team is IQ-Barrett-Gradey-Scottie-Poetl until it isn't. Bench is Kelly, Brown, JFL, maybe-hopefully lotto pick, Pacers pick, probably Pistons pick. Agbaji, Nwora, McDaniels, Garrett Temple, Boucher.

Cavs by comparison have great big men and Donovan Mitchell. We need Barrett to take another step.

I hope he get a $20m contract. One thing about the Raptors, we always try to put our guys in the best spot even if it's a trade. So it's telling that we couldn't get anything done for him.

Then you got guys in this thread saying we should lowball him. Why? You don't lowball players you want to keep.

He should have went the OG route and establish himself as an elite defender first, then add in the offence game after.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#249 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:05 pm

Grayson Allen just got 17.5 per year. I expect GTJ's market to be similar or slightly lower.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#250 » by Steelo Green » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm

Trent TS - 548
Allen TS - 679

Trent Career TS - 548
Allen Career TS - 618

Not comparable. Allen is so much better than Trent.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,106

Post#251 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:10 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:Grayson Allen just got 17.5 per year. I expect GTJ's market to be similar or slightly lower.

Allen's deal probably starts at around 15 mill, and goes up by 8% per year.

That probably puts Malik Monk - a better all-around player - at around $18 mill to start.

And Gary, a worse overall (and horribly inconsistent player who is destined to come off the bench), at ~$13 mill, or just over the non-taxpayer MLE.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#252 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Tom_Foolery wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here."

I hope he get a $20m contract. One thing about the Raptors, we always try to put our guys in the best spot even if it's a trade. So it's telling that we couldn't get anything done for him.

Then you got guys in this thread saying we should lowball him. Why? You don't lowball players you want to keep.

He should have went the OG route and establish himself as an elite defender first, then add in the offence game after.

I watched him in the Bubble play for Portland and thought he was an impactful player as a shooter then and it translated to us offensively. He strikes me as someone who is always going to do things his way but with respect. I mean who'd have thought he would still be here after Paskal, OG, Fred, and Precious? I didn't and Raps were a wall of silence about him. He knows more than anyone that the Raps brass were cool to lukewarm to have him in the fold. Bottom line is they did not think him worth 18-20 mil per. Nurse probably laid it out as Gary can be a good defender but he wants his stats. His money. Then the Raps ventured to see his impact when stats were harder to come by. Here we are. He's caught between a Kelly Oubre and a 58th ranking by Hollinger hard place. They can afford to let him go for nothing. That's 58th place one spot behind Jordan bleepin Poole. For comparison Norm is 33rd on a stacked Clippers team. IQ is rated 10th and Barrett 13th. As a caveat Delon Wright is ranked 37th and Klay Thompson 31st.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#253 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:26 pm

In the above efficiency rating Donovan Mitchell is ranked number one followed By Devin Booker and Anthony Edwards.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#254 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:39 pm

Melton, Monk and Horton-Tucker are better buys than Gary.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#255 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:49 pm

Look at the trajectories. Big paydays. Paskal - see ya! OG - see ya! Fred - see ya oh and good on you for securing 42 x 2 (laughtrack). Poetl - ok no surprises kaching and not in the same money league as the above. So Gary wants Poetl money. Hard pass. At least Brown at 23 x 1 has a ring.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#256 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:51 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
dagger wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:If any 3 point shooter is getting a bag thrown his way it should be Grayson Allen first.

And his D is much more consistent than Gary's and the Suns are more limited than Toronto in what they can offer in a new contract. Just offering the most they can, it would cost Phoenix something like $70 million in salary and tax per season.

Allen can sign an extension for 4/75 and he hasn't. I don't know who's end but I assume its on his end. That's a starting salary of 16+ Mil the first year, slightly over the MLE. Nah. Might as well bet on yourself if you're him.

Not sure people here are being real about what Trent will get, here or elswhere, but if Allen is turning that down is much more, since they are somewhat similar.

I think his deal probably STARTS at 18-22 the first year.

With Allen signing at slightly less than his max extension, I would be very surprised if someone gave that to GTJ over 4 years. A full MLE would be $55M/4yr, I cannot see him getting much more than that - and it could easily be less.

WIth his most recent comments, I think it's pretty clear he's unhappy with role/time and would likely go elsewhere for starting opportunity.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,393

Post#257 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Right over your head.

Not to mention I'm sure the Raptors have fielded offers for him and got no real offers. Teams aren't throwing around money stupidly as much with the new cap structure.

Im not a fan of Trent so thats why i said 15M per season but i cant see him getting more than 17.5M per season.

Yeah, anyone can see the slant there. No need to say it.

Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#258 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:02 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

I think you have to look at the comparative situations too. PHX obviously likes how Allen fits with the team, they cannot give that money to anyone else and you have to think Allen's happy with the situation too. He's also 28 and unlikely to get another crack at a bag.

It's clear that Toronto doesn't think GTJ is a vital part of the core going forward, so I have hard time seeing them lay out huge cash for him. At the same time, what other team is going to look at his past 3 years and make him a priority target? He's a shooter and that's a valuable skillset, but I think the MLE will be a hard ceiling here if we're talking a 4-yr deal. He's still a rotation player so you'd hate to lose him for nothing, but the behind-the-scenes friction may play a role here.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,890

Post#259 » by deeps6x » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:04 pm

Chandan wrote:can Dick just take Gary's place next year?
or we can just start Bruce Brown. missing a lot of 3 point shot... but also dont want to have to watch Gary anymore.

I don't want to watch Brown anymore either.

Grayson Allen's deal probably sets the bar at about $15-$16M/yr for Gary. As a backup, I'm ok with that. But I expect he will chase a starter position elsewhere.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#260 » by PushDaRock » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 pm

I think Trent possibly gets a 2 year MLE (player option) type deal if he jumps at it early on. Maybe some team gives him a 3rd year. But If he waits, he ends up settling for way less money to try and get into a better situation where he can attempt to rebuild his value the way DiVincenvo, Monk, Beasley ended up doing.

Return to Toronto Raptors