ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 401

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#21 » by Tom_Foolery » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:03 am

Time to part ways. Let him walk.

The fact that most of you talk about devaluing and penny pinching him shows how little you truly believe in him.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,168

Post#22 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:44 am

GP2 wrote:Just don't outbid yourself. I'm not a fan of his game, but some people will tell you that you have to keep a 25 year-old with his resume.

Is the best yet to come? I don't see it.

I mean relatively speaking the best likely is to come. Most players dont peak at 23-25 years old.
Will the best be much better than him currently? Probably not significantly
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Blazing_royale
General Manager
And1: 1,983

Post#23 » by Blazing_royale » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 am

Let him walk, he's a dime a dozen.
Any Pokémon fans out there? Check out my Youtube channel jchucollection
Fast_Feets
Starter
And1: 359

Post#24 » by Fast_Feets » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:48 am

Gt jr is too one dimensional and is too small. Resigning him is a big mistake.

Raps need to go in a different direct direction
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#25 » by hyper316 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:44 am

Makes me sad and angry we trade norm for this. Norm was the player we hoped Trent would a younger version of Norm.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#26 » by DelAbbot » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:59 am

hyper316 wrote:Makes me sad and angry we trade norm for this. Norm was the player we hoped Trent would a younger version of Norm.

Norm is shooting 49% overall and 43.5% from 3pt for a TS of 63% and usage is down due to the big 3 LAC but still avg 19pt per 36 mins.

Oh and Norm is making 18M vs GTJ 18.5M this season
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#27 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 am

PushDaRock wrote:None of these contracts. Check what Beasley and Monk got on the open market off similar type seasons. Nobody is paying big money to these gunner types anymore. It will be interesting to see what Monk gets this summer, he's the much better player but I'm not expecting him to crack 20m AAV. He might not even get much of a raise from his current deal and probably will settle for MLE if I was betting on it.

The Monk/Beasley deals were always very weird to me - I always suspected shenanigans. Monk was not that bad in Charlotte that he could only get a 1 year min in LA. All of which is to say, they're not good comps for Gary. FA market can be a weird thing, but I cannot see any team wanting to pay him more than MLE and no obvious starting spots out there. The fact that he opted in last year validates this somewhat and he just had a worse year.

And since it's very likely Toronto will be operating above cap, the question is whether there's a contract that makes sense for both sides. Gary probably thinks he's a starter and probably wants another chance to prove that (somewhere) before he gets pigeonholed for the rest of his career. I think a Bruce Brown-type of 1+team option contract might make some sense here, as another poster suggested above. It keeps his Bird rights intact and means more money in his pocket next year.

I suspect there's a high chance of trade action this offseason, because otherwise you'd want to bring everyone back (including Brown and GTJ) in order to maximize salary and I doubt that would happen. They can pay IQ $25M-30M starting and still have lots of space before hitting the luxury tax.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,481

Post#28 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:12 am

Less than what he's making now.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#29 » by metafisical » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:57 am

Vet min would be a fair contract offer for GTj, but knowing Masai, he will outbid himself to show he is playing 5D chess...against himself. I want this guy (GTj) off our team.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,487

Post#30 » by Brinbe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:23 pm

The only reason why you'd give Gary anything in his current range is for using that salary as potential fodder in a trade for an upgrade. Otherwise GTJ shouldn't really be getting a big offer. But the fact that they brought him back when they were trying to move him says everything about interest in him and his market right now, so does he even have any use if you're wanting to utilise him as trade bait with, for example, a Boucher?

As is, he's a one dimensional super streaky player that doesn't fit the offense, can only really play a singular position, is semi-decent at one thing (three) but only really as a featured starter, as he's shown in his time here that he can't come off-the-bench and be effective at all, opposite of what a Norm has displayed throughout his career. So why do we want him being that guy on this team in the future when Grady should be starting?

And if you figure that IQ/RJ/Gradey/Scottie/Yak are likely to be starting next year (And they should) there's dozens of shooting/scoring guards that could fill Gary's role off-the-bench at a fraction of the cost. I think all these G-league guards we've brought in have been pretty much auditioning for that spot.

Or, if you're spending that much, there should really be a much better return on investment. Like that player should be a pretty solid rotational option and I don't think Gary has shown that he can be that. Go give that money to Lonnie Walker or Jalen Smith.

Here's all the guys in his range, as you can see, he doesn't stack up well at all.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#31 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:30 pm

hyper316 wrote:Makes me sad and angry we trade norm for this. Norm was the player we hoped Trent would a younger version of Norm.

It's disappointing Gary hasn't really improved since we got him. At just 23 years old he was already a high-level scorer, but he hasn't seemed to add anything else to his game. I was hoping he could become a CJ McCollum type player, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

However, the issue with Norm has always been his durability. He misses 20-30 games every season. As effective as he is, he can't stay healthy.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#32 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm

He's not better than Barrett, who is young and on a longer term contract. He will be our starting SG going forward barring an unforeseen circumstance.

For better or worse, we have Agbaji, who would serve well as a cheap third stringer that we can develop overtime.

I wouldn't go over $45M/3yrs max
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#33 » by TimeForChange » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:45 pm

he's going to get $18m+ and the raptors would be stupid to let him walk
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#34 » by DelAbbot » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:48 pm

Brinbe wrote:The only reason why you'd give Gary anything in his current range is for using that salary as potential fodder in a trade for an upgrade. Otherwise GTJ shouldn't really be getting a big offer. But the fact that they brought him back when they were trying to move him says everything about interest in him and his market right now, so does he even have any use if you're wanting to utilise him as trade bait with, for example, a Boucher?

As is, he's a one dimensional super streaky player that doesn't fit the offense, can only really play a singular position, is semi-decent at one thing (three) but only really as a featured starter, as he's shown in his time here that he can't come off-the-bench and be effective at all, opposite of what a Norm has displayed throughout his career. So why do we want him being that guy on this team in the future when Grady should be starting?

And if you figure that IQ/RJ/Gradey/Scottie/Yak are likely to be starting next year (And they should) there's dozens of shooting/scoring guards that could fill Gary's role off-the-bench at a fraction of the cost. I think all these G-league guards we've brought in have been pretty much auditioning for that spot.

Or, if you're spending that much, there should really be a much better return on investment. Like that player should be a pretty solid rotational option and I don't think Gary has shown that he can be that. Go give that money to Lonnie Walker or Jalen Smith.

Here's all the guys in his range, as you can see, he doesn't stack up well at all.

LMFAO Bobby fully brainwashed you. When was the last time we turned salary ballast into a better player? Like how Indiana turned that overpaid Brown into Siakam.

Oh Birch for Poeltl doesn't count becuase Birch was being unloaded by attaching assets (2 SRP), not a value-neutral salary ballast
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,487

Post#35 » by Brinbe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:27 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
Brinbe wrote:The only reason why you'd give Gary anything in his current range is for using that salary as potential fodder in a trade for an upgrade. Otherwise GTJ shouldn't really be getting a big offer. But the fact that they brought him back when they were trying to move him says everything about interest in him and his market right now, so does he even have any use if you're wanting to utilise him as trade bait with, for example, a Boucher?

LMFAO Bobby fully brainwashed you. When was the last time we turned salary ballast into a better player? Like how Indiana turned that overpaid Brown into Siakam.

Oh Birch for Poeltl doesn't count becuase Birch was being unloaded by attaching assets (2 SRP), not a value-neutral salary ballast

Bro, some reading comprehension would help you. I never said we should do it, I said that's one of the reasons why they'd want to do it or one of the reasons why they'd want to sign him to a bigger deal. Otherwise, there's no way he's worth much.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,168

Post#36 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:29 pm

Brinbe wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:

Bro, some reading comprehension would help you. I never said we should do it, I said that's one of the reasons why they'd want to do it or one of the reasons why they'd want to sign him to a bigger deal. Otherwise, there's no way he's worth much.

Not to mention very rarely do teams do it - but you might as well be in a position to do it if the opportunity arises.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,062

Post#37 » by ItsDanger » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:30 pm

All the options provided are too high. Let him walk.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#38 » by Ganjamayne » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:30 pm

15m ideally. He's too 1 dimensional and I don't see that changing. That being said he's still young, the guys like him and he's been super professional during his time here
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#39 » by hyper316 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:

It's disappointing Gary hasn't really improved since we got him. At just 23 years old he was already a high-level scorer, but he hasn't seemed to add anything else to his game. I was hoping he could become a CJ McCollum type player, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

However, the issue with Norm has always been his durability. He misses 20-30 games every season. As effective as he is, he can't stay healthy.

Trent has plantar fasciitis, missed games too. Lost all hops compared to his combine vert of 39 inches
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#40 » by artsncrafts » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:17 pm

Time and time and time and time and time again the raptors sign guys "as salary fodder" and then cant get rid of them or have to give up picks to get rid of them. I don't really understand NBA salary cap rules, but I do know that giving bad players contracts has never worked out for the Raptors. Now Gary isnt as bad as some of the past "salary fodder" guys but there are better players out there for this money.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?

Return to Toronto Raptors