ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,680

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#61 » by ConSarnit » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:24 pm

BetterCallSaul wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Yeah he’s similar to Monk and Beasley. Problem is he’s still youngish so he gets a bump in pay because of it.

Malik Monk is being disrespected big time in this thread. He's a tier above these guys

Trent is also being disrespected by being compared to Beasley. Beasley is one of the worst defensive players in the league. He's in the "can't play him in the playoffs realm" of terrible defense. Trent isn't some lock down defender but he won't get targeted, which in itself has value.

A lot of these valuations for Trent are way off. Players who can hit 3's at high volume and are neutral defensively don't get minimum contracts. Trent is a top 7-8 rotation guy who could start on a few teams because of his volume shooting. He's an MLE level guy.

I get why people might not want him. He's not a good ball mover and he might get supplanted by Dick, Agbaji, draft pick, etc. Even considering those factors re-signing him at ~$10m/yr would be a no brainer as he'd almost assuredly be movable for value.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,857

Post#62 » by Duffman100 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:26 pm

The people saying "team option" are hella optimistic based on history.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#63 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:46 pm

Duffman100 wrote:The people saying "team option" are hella optimistic based on history.

I think we are better to pick up Brown's 1 year 23m than take on 4 year's of Gary at minimum 80 mil. I say sign-trade him for a TPE and a pick.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#64 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:48 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:MLE is around 13m, I can't imagine a few teams won't be throwing that at him.
If we were to retain I think the 3/45 with the third year PO would likely be where we should be.

Somebody will pay him 20 over multiple years. He is not taking a haircut.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#65 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:16 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:MLE is around 13m, I can't imagine a few teams won't be throwing that at him.
If we were to retain I think the 3/45 with the third year PO would likely be where we should be.

Why didn't they do it last year then? I think he opted in because his agent found out no one was going to pay him that.
lolekszmolek
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#66 » by lolekszmolek » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 pm

I think Toronto will need to offer Gary 20 million to keep him. Whether Toronto is willing to pay this or even a portion of this is questionable.
iBall101
Pro Prospect
And1: 271

Post#67 » by iBall101 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:10 pm

anything more than 12-13 mill a season is an overpay for this guy. He’s a streaky one dimensional player. If he gets anything over 15 mil and beyond then Raps need to let whatever naive team sign him for that kind of money. He’s not an excellent ft shooter (% this season), not an exceptional playmaker neither rim attacker. Let him go!
:nod: Masai’s Raptors :nod:

PG: I. Quickley/ T. Horton-Tucker/ J. Freeman
SG: G. Trent Jr./ G. Dick/ B. Brown
SF: R. Barrett/ O. Agbaji / G. Temple
PF: S. Barnes/ T. Lyles/ J. Crowder
C: J. Poeltl/ K. Olynk/ J. Porter
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,309

Post#68 » by JB7 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:44 pm

Hopefully a team desperate for shooting, like the Magic, over pay him, so Raps don't bring him back. I would rather his minutes go to players like Grady & Ochai.

Raps need a long wing more than GTJ's one dimensional shooting.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,284

Post#69 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:01 pm

I’m not trying to hate because he actually seems like a good teammate but he’s not worth any of these amounts imo…

I’d pay him a full MLE or maybe a shade above but he’s just a one dimensional streaky shooter. We obviously want Gradey to take his spot (or better). I’d pay Nwora next to nothing as a back up and use the money elsewhere (particularly SF position).
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,650

Post#70 » by C_Money » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:18 pm

JB7 wrote:Hopefully a team desperate for shooting, like the Magic, over pay him, so Raps don't bring him back. I would rather his minutes go to players like Grady & Ochai.

Tbh I’m so done with those type of players. Give me the shooter 10 times out of 10 over the long armed defender with no basketball skill.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#71 » by Spida888 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:19 pm

rapsincr wrote:
Spida888 wrote:2-3 years around MLE is fine unless there are better options that we can sign or we want to straight up tank next season.

theres an argument to be made hes kinda valuable for the tank lol, did u see him vs washington? he pretty much cost us the game with his chucking. getting blocked by the rim and falling down ensured that loss lol.

That's fair, the tank can go either way with him lol.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#72 » by Green Backpack » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:07 pm

He should get less than Austin Reaves, who is making about 13.5/year.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#73 » by brownbobcat » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 pm

Green Backpack wrote:He should get less than Austin Reaves, who is making about 13.5/year.

Austin Reaves took less money to stay with LA.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#74 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:52 pm

Scase wrote:Tree fiddy. He aint worth much.

I said "I ain't giving you no tree fiddy you goddam Lochness Monster!"
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#75 » by Pointgod » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:55 pm

14-16 million is fair…….. on another team though
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,309

Post#76 » by JB7 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:07 am

C_Money wrote:
JB7 wrote:Hopefully a team desperate for shooting, like the Magic, over pay him, so Raps don't bring him back. I would rather his minutes go to players like Grady & Ochai.

Tbh I’m so done with those type of players. Give me the shooter 10 times out of 10 over the long armed defender with no basketball skill.

Ideally, if they could trade for someone like Herb Jones, that would be the perfect solution. But I would even take Wiggins over GTJ, especially if GTJ is getting paid close to what he makes now.
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#77 » by PushDaRock » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
PushDaRock wrote:None of these contracts. Check what Beasley and Monk got on the open market off similar type seasons. Nobody is paying big money to these gunner types anymore. It will be interesting to see what Monk gets this summer, he's the much better player but I'm not expecting him to crack 20m AAV. He might not even get much of a raise from his current deal and probably will settle for MLE if I was betting on it.

The Monk/Beasley deals were always very weird to me - I always suspected shenanigans. Monk was not that bad in Charlotte that he could only get a 1 year min in LA. All of which is to say, they're not good comps for Gary. FA market can be a weird thing, but I cannot see any team wanting to pay him more than MLE and no obvious starting spots out there. The fact that he opted in last year validates this somewhat and he just had a worse year.

And since it's very likely Toronto will be operating above cap, the question is whether there's a contract that makes sense for both sides. Gary probably thinks he's a starter and probably wants another chance to prove that (somewhere) before he gets pigeonholed for the rest of his career. I think a Bruce Brown-type of 1+team option contract might make some sense here, as another poster suggested above. It keeps his Bird rights intact and means more money in his pocket next year.

I suspect there's a high chance of trade action this offseason, because otherwise you'd want to bring everyone back (including Brown and GTJ) in order to maximize salary and I doubt that would happen. They can pay IQ $25M-30M starting and still have lots of space before hitting the luxury tax.

Only team that might overpay for Trent is us but a multi-year deal I think is out of the question. If it's a 1 year deal, the number probably doesn't matter too much since we won't likely need the cap space anyways.

I think they're fine comps in that these guys just aren't that highly valued when they hit the open market and they often end up having to settle for less money to get in maybe a more ideal situation to try and build their value up.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,514

Post#78 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:33 pm

The MLE is projected around 13M next so he should get offers above that. He's still a 25 year old that shoots 40% from 3 on volume and that has value.

I think his existing contract is probably close to what he's going to get again, 3/54, only difference being the team has the option on the 3rd year.

Or, he can go to a team that guarantees him a starting spot, sign a small one year deal and then hope he explodes for a bigger payday the year after.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#79 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:34 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Anything is possible;
It just takes one team to set the market

I would have thought that last summer was a better opportunity for him to get paid compared to this summer;
You never know.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#80 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Anything is possible;
It just takes one team to set the market

I would have thought that last summer was a better opportunity for him to get paid compared to this summer;
You never know.

I just know they are never paying Brown-Gary 45mil. Meaning they can S+T Gary and get a TPE/pick and overpay Brown for one year and deal him at next deadline. That's 45ish the team saves by 2026 by Brown getting his full contract value and them running from Gary at earliest opportunity.

Return to Toronto Raptors