ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#261 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:07 pm

I'm disappointed that Allen signed that extension. He was the guy I most wanted the Raps to target in free agency. He must really like the situation there (and he is in a perfect role for him) because I think he could've gotten more on the open market.

I'm not sure if the Raps were actually looking at him, but if they were, this probably increases the chance that Gary will be coming back. The only other comparable free agent shooter is Malik Monk, and he'll probably want too much.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#262 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Not to mention I'm sure the Raptors have fielded offers for him and got no real offers. Teams aren't throwing around money stupidly as much with the new cap structure.

Im not a fan of Trent so thats why i said 15M per season but i cant see him getting more than 17.5M per season.

Yeah, anyone can see the slant there. No need to say it.

Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

He has to really want to stay in Phoenix. Because I don't think there's anyone here that thought he wasn't getting more including you.

Lol.

And he did just give up his free agency weeks he was a free agent and that wasn't because there was going to be no interest.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,391

Post#263 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:10 pm

brownbobcat wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

I think you have to look at the comparative situations too. PHX obviously likes how Allen fits with the team, they cannot give that money to anyone else and you have to think Allen's happy with the situation too. He's also 28 and unlikely to get another crack at a bag.

It's clear that Toronto doesn't think GTJ is a vital part of the core going forward, so I have hard time seeing them lay out huge cash for him. At the same time, what other team is going to look at his past 3 years and make him a priority target? He's a shooter and that's a valuable skillset, but I think the MLE will be a hard ceiling here if we're talking a 4-yr deal. He's still a rotation player so you'd hate to lose him for nothing, but the behind-the-scenes friction may play a role here.

Allen just put up a crazy efficient season on a near 50 win team and can defend a lot better than Trent who clearly learned to defend by spamming the steal button in 2K. These are aren't even in the same category.

I initially said 15M per season is the most I'd pay Trent because he is definitely a rotation player in the nba. Problem is that him and Dick will overlap a lot next year and there's only so many guys you want who cant defend or rebound to avoid having miserable team defense.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#264 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:15 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Yeah, anyone can see the slant there. No need to say it.

Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

He has to really want to stay in Phoenix. Because I don't think there's anyone here that thought he wasn't getting more including you.

Lol.

Definitely felt he should have gotten at least 4/80 but this is how the new nba cap structure works where the 2nd luxury tax apron works almost as a hard salary cap.

Teams aren't going to lineup to sign a one dimensional ball hog who isn't even that efficient and plays his best basketball when his teams are trying to tank. There was a reason he picked up his player option last year lol.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#265 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:20 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Lol.

Definitely felt he should have gotten at least 4/80 but this is how the new nba cap structure works where the 2nd luxury tax apron works almost as a hard salary cap.

Teams aren't going to lineup to sign a one dimensional ball hog who isn't even that efficient and plays his best basketball when his teams are trying to tank. There was a reason he picked up his player option last year lol.

We also had comps last year with guys like Strus, Divincenzo, Brown, Vincent, Levert. I thought Allen could've gotten upwards of $80M/4yr, but he's also sort of a niche starter. Contrast him like a higher-end guy like OG who could start on every single team in the league - but he's probably getting $35-40M/yr (although health is a huge factor there).
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#266 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm

For shts and giggles Grayson Allen is ranked #34 on the Hollinger efficiency list for shooting guards. One behind Norm. Not shabby. Since Allen is 28 his timeline is not conducive to ours so why are we even talking about him? We might get a second rounder and TPE for Gary otherwise the writing is on the wall. Go get paid like Fred. As for Bruce Brown we extend him and then move him at the deadline or at least we have that option. It does bring up a question: pay Bruce or pay Gary. I know what my answer is.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#267 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:50 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Lol.

Teams aren't going to lineup to sign a one dimensional ball hog
who isn't even that efficient
and plays his best basketball when his teams are trying to tank. There was a reason he picked up his player option last year lol.

As in number 58 of all shooting guards.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#268 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:58 pm

Read this in crappy Quora from a random article.

Free Agency Departure: Depending on how Trent Jr. perceives his role with the Raptors and his aspirations as a player, he might choose to explore free agency when his contract expires. He could seek a new team that offers him a more prominent role or a better chance at competing for championships.

Probably written by Gary's agent.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#269 » by Ackshun » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:28 pm

Been on camp Trent Jr for a while but not sure what to say. I think it’s time.

Renounce and free up the $$. Go after Lonnie Walker (UFA), Obi Toppin (RFA), Tauren Prince (UFA), and Kris Dunn (UFA). No clue if we have money for all of them but I like it.

IQ/Dunn
RJ/Lonnie
Dick/ (Barnes)
Barnes/Toppin/Prince
Poetl/K.O

Could be worse.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#270 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:30 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Lol.

Teams aren't going to lineup to sign a one dimensional ball hog
who isn't even that efficient
and plays his best basketball when his teams are trying to tank. There was a reason he picked up his player option last year lol.

Why are people still using PER. And why call it efficiency, just because the E is there?
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#271 » by Tor_Raps » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:33 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Teams aren't going to lineup to sign a one dimensional ball hog and plays his best basketball when his teams are trying to tank. There was a reason he picked up his player option last year lol.

Why are people still using PER. And why call it efficiency, just because the E is there?

So that's your takeaway and response... you're hilarious lol.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#272 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:41 pm

Ackshun wrote:Been on camp Trent Jr for a while but not sure what to say. I think it’s time.

Renounce and free up the $$. Go after Lonnie Walker (UFA), Obi Toppin (RFA), Tauren Prince (UFA), and Kris Dunn (UFA). No clue if we have money for all of them but I like it.

IQ/Dunn
RJ/Lonnie
Dick/ (Barnes)
Barnes/Toppin/Prince
Poetl/K.O

Could be worse.

We can let Trent go and be over the cap and probably not use the space then. We can let Trent and Bruce Bown go and be 12 mil under the cap and not have the 13 mil MLE.

There pretty much has to be some sort of trade. But I doubt we have enough space to sign 4 guys.

Once they extended Olynyk I figure that means they are operating above the cap.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#273 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:44 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

And your takeaway is what ... Trent is the 58th best shooting guard. Because that's **** stupid. Grayson Allen is no better than 34th out of SG?

Here's my takeaway. PER has nothing to do with efficiency beside burying the TS% stat in with ten more.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#274 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:57 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

And your takeaway is what ... Trent is the 58th best shooting guard. Because that's **** stupid. Grayson Allen is no better than 34th out of SG?

Here's my takeaway. PER has nothing to do with efficiency beside burying the TS% stat in with ten more.

Here is my take Raps do not feel Trent is worth any more than the MLE. They were supposed to have a deal done in 2023. Never happened. I am also not saying the PER evalution is gospel but show the advance sats that say he is worth being paid in the range of 23ish.
Boardbreaker
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,884

Post#275 » by Boardbreaker » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:07 pm

I could live with a deal similar to Donte’s extension
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#276 » by brownbobcat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:07 am

Johnny Bball wrote:We can let Trent go and be over the cap and probably not use the space then. We can let Trent and Bruce Bown go and be 12 mil under the cap and not have the 13 mil MLE.

There pretty much has to be some sort of trade. But I doubt we have enough space to sign 4 guys.

Once they extended Olynyk I figure that means they are operating above the cap.

Going by Spotrac, they're at $105M for guaranteed dollars + IQ caphold. Assuming they keep their picks, that will be roughly another $12-13M for the 2 rookies + 1 minimum player, which means they could have $23M of space available.

On the face of it, GTJ + Brown + MLE is likely better than whatever you can get for $23M. If I had to guess, they'll keep Brown to stay above cap, let GTJ go and target a backup guard with the MLE. Maybe they try to move Boucher, or bundle him with Brown, but I'm not sure what's out there.

Starters: Poeltl, Barnes, Brown, RJ, IQ
Bench: KO, Boucher, Dick, Agbaji, MLE, 2 rooks
sbsat
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,649

Post#277 » by sbsat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:46 am

Allen not doing Trent any favours signing that deal lol
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,778

Post#278 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am

That’s a pretty cheap deal for Allen. Gary better get less lol
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#279 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:That’s a pretty cheap deal for Allen. Gary better get less lol

Gary is going to FA, Allen chose not too. It just takes one offer to set the market price, and while Grayson would've been a priority over GTJ had they both gone to FA, any team that wants shooting will consider an offer.

Surprised that he took the $17.5M from Phoenix but he must really like it there.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#280 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 am

Personally I’d rather pursue Isaiah Joe for less money.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to Toronto Raptors