ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,223

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#221 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:26 pm

JB7 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Just give him the same contract he got now

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

His current deal plus inflation.

Aka about 20 per

Hes a young ufa. Hes an elite 3 pt shooter with a high character and he’s kinda “toolsie” - he still has that upside shine on him.

4 and 80 is my guess.

If the team wasn't prepared to extend him last year, and were actually fine with him walking last offseason, what about this season's performance makes you think the team would re-up him for the same money or more?

pretty much. bogdanovic is making 16M per year; can't say trent is better. MLE at best.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#222 » by brownbobcat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:05 pm

JB7 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:If we couldn't flip him at $18m, what makes you think $20m makes him more valuable?

I’m sure they could flip him if they wanted to.

We’re a rebuilding team without an impending cap crunch who needs a 3 point shooter in the starting lineup with limited options to fill that role. Gary’s fine for now and his contract gives us optionality. Other than arguing “he doesn’t deserve it”, I’m not sure what the argument is for letting him walk even if it’s an overpay.

The team was prepared to let him walk for nothing last offseason. Clearly trading him was not going to return a great draft pick, and it most likely would have required the Raps taking back a bad contract.

Teams only value $20M contracts if they are expiring, and the team would have no problem letting the player walk, so they could dump a worse contract on another team. But in Gary's case, I imagine GMs wouldn't want to piss off Klutch by trading for their client who is 25, only to dump him and his bird rights, and leave him to get what he can get in FA.

Exactly - a $20M contract can be useful, but that doesn't mean it is valuable. It is not valuable for most contending teams to acquire if it isn't attached to a very good player because they're usually well over the cap - they can't utilize an overpriced role player. This was the problem with Brown - he could have helped any number of contenders, but most couldn't take on the dollars or didn't want to give up assets to do so since it limited their other moves. Toronto will have to decide whether they want to roll the dice with him again next year.

It could be useful for the Raptors to trade away in order to match dollars, but the value would be significantly decreased if it were a $80M/4yr vs $20M/1yr.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#223 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:16 pm

JB7 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Just give him the same contract he got now

Aka about 20 per

Hes a young ufa. Hes an elite 3 pt shooter with a high character and he’s kinda “toolsie” - he still has that upside shine on him.

4 and 80 is my guess.

If the team wasn't prepared to extend him last year, and were actually fine with him walking last offseason, what about this season's performance makes you think the team would re-up him for the same money or more?

Huh

Thats a totally different conversation

Lol

Edit and by the virtue of your own narrative— because there was obviously no rush and they took a wait and see approach— maybe trent thought he’d score 24 a night this year - how would i know lol
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#224 » by Chandan » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:27 pm

the way i see it, since IQ/Scottie/RJ/Poeltl are likely here to stay, SG is the only spot we may upgrade in the near future. I dont think GTJ is good enough to be part of the starting core if we have any post season ambition.
unless we draft a PG and move IQ to SG, or RJ to the bench but i dont see those happening.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#225 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:37 pm

agkagk wrote:
JB7 wrote:
agkagk wrote:

Aka about 20 per

4 and 80 is my guess.

Huh

Thats a totally different conversation

Lol

Edit and by the virtue of your own narrative— because there was obviously no rush and they took a wait and see approach— maybe trent thought he’d score 24 a night this year - how would i know lol

If they were intent on keeping him, wouldn't they have re-signed him - why let him go to potential FA two years in a row? They re-signed Olynyk shortly after trading for him, most likely just to avoid him getting offers in FA.

Even if the Raps were going the wait and see approach, with Trent, it would be hard for the Raps to probably resign him to the value they see, because it would probably be less than what he is making now. It is hard for a player to take a pay cut from their current team (see Klay Thompson). Much different when they are just looking to get a deal from another team, and are desperate enough to take what they can get.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,316

Post#226 » by JB7 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:44 pm

Chandan wrote:the way i see it, since IQ/Scottie/RJ/Poeltl are likely here to stay, SG is the only spot we may upgrade in the near future. I dont think GTJ is good enough to be part of the starting core if we have any post season ambition.
unless we draft a PG and move IQ to SG, or RJ to the bench but i dont see those happening.

Agree with the take on the core, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared salary room to take on Wiggins deal. He gives them the wing defender they are missing now, and would allow RJ to play the SG position.

In the future though it is really about how Gradey develops. Could he be a starting SG? If so, then they are looking for another young 3&D wing to compensate for Gradey's deficiencies on D. OA looks like a long shot at that role. In a world where Gradey moves into the SL, RJ probably becomes the 6th man for the Raps.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#227 » by Chandan » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:48 pm

JB7 wrote:
Chandan wrote:the way i see it, since IQ/Scottie/RJ/Poeltl are likely here to stay, SG is the only spot we may upgrade in the near future. I dont think GTJ is good enough to be part of the starting core if we have any post season ambition.

Agree with the take on the core, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared salary room to take on Wiggins deal. He gives them the wing defender they are missing now, and would allow RJ to play the SG position.

In the future though it is really about how Gradey develops. Could he be a starting SG? If so, then they are looking for another young 3&D wing to compensate for Gradey's deficiencies on D. OA looks like a long shot at that role. In a world where Gradey moves into the SL, RJ probably becomes the 6th man for the Raps.

ive seen enough to know that when GTJ doesn't get shots he's basically invisible. If we just want a shooter that does nothing but hit open shots there are cheaper options, or we can find someone on his price range who can threaten the rim a little bit.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Post#228 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 am

What Trent's value is may not be relevant. The team seems to be very invested in making Dick the second coming of Tyler Herro and the starting SG, and that may require a year of growing pains (2024/25) to do so. If that is indeed the case, spending north of $18-20mil for Trent as a backup doesn't make a lot of sense when that cap can be put to better use and serviceable backup SGs can be had for less.
Agbaji is still under contract (though looking more like bench fodder) or perhaps they look at Freeman-Liberty as not only a possible backup PG but also playing some off guard?
My bet is they let Trent walk and look to a less expensive defensive minded SG or spend on a very versatile veteran wing who can plug and play anywhere.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
Tom_Foolery
Junior
And1: 401

Post#229 » by Tom_Foolery » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:52 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
$20m contracts are valuable in the NBA.

If we couldn't flip him at $18m, what makes you think $20m makes him more valuable?

We’re a rebuilding team without an impending cap crunch who needs a 3 point shooter in the starting lineup with limited options to fill that role. Gary’s fine for now and his contract gives us optionality. Other than arguing “he doesn’t deserve it”, I’m not sure what the argument is for letting him walk even if it’s an overpay.

Sure they could too but at what cost? Teams have to see the upside to offer us anything of value.

I actually disagree with you're statement. At the start of the year, yes this was very true, but this gap has been shrunk since the trades. I don't even see the optionality angle. If you sign him you have to pay him and teams that may want him can just offer him a big contract this summer.

My argument to let him walk is 1. He has no real role on the team anymore, 2. We need a solid PF.

We have to move in a different direction.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,666

Post#230 » by C_Money » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:15 pm

Tom_Foolery wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:If we couldn't flip him at $18m, what makes you think $20m makes him more valuable?

Sure they could too but at what cost? Teams have to see the upside to offer us anything of value.

I actually disagree with you're statement. At the start of the year, yes this was very true, but this gap has been shrunk since the trades. I don't even see the optionality angle. If you sign him you have to pay him and teams that may want him can just offer him a big contract this summer.

My argument to let him walk is 1. He has no real role on the team anymore, 2. We need a solid PF.

Why do I keep seeing this comment lately? In today’s NBA Scottie is a typical PF. Just like Tatum is the PF for the Celtics.

We need a SG. If not Gary then somebody else who can shoot the 3 at a high clip.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,499

Post#231 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:06 pm

Tom_Foolery wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Wiz got Porzingis for Dinwiddie and Bertans. $20m contracts facilitate trades. We’re probably going to operate over the cap, so letting that salary slot just walk doesn’t really make sense. If you’re going to let Gary walk, it should be a sign and trade. Now obviously he’s an UFA so we don’t have full control, but I don’t see why we’d walk away without having to.

Also Scottie is a PF and Kelly can also fill that role. We can use another wing, but if we let Gary walk, we desolately need another 3pt shooting guard to make the starting lineup work.
Tom_Foolery
Junior

Post#232 » by Tom_Foolery » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Wiz got Porzingis for Dinwiddie and Bertans. $20m contracts facilitate trades. We’re probably going to operate over the cap, so letting that salary slot just walk doesn’t really make sense. If you’re going to let Gary walk, it should be a sign and trade. Now obviously he’s an UFA so we don’t have full control, but I don’t see why we’d walk away without having to.

Also Scottie is a PF and Kelly can also fill that role. We can use another wing, but if we let Gary walk, we desolately need another 3pt shooting guard to make the starting lineup work.

What trade scenario do you see with Gary @ $20m/multiple years?

It goes back to what I said, you're just going to sign him to complain about him for 3 year.
Tom_Foolery
Junior

Post#233 » by Tom_Foolery » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:15 pm

C_Money wrote:
Tom_Foolery wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:

Why do I keep seeing this comment lately? In today’s NBA Scottie is a typical PF. Just like Tatum is the PF for the Celtics.

We need a SG. If not Gary then somebody else who can shoot the 3 at a high clip.

We have very little size on this team and we have no real hustle players. We've seen him handle sf when Siakam was here, so it's not really a stretch for him to play at that position.

If Barnes Barrett and Quickley continue to shoot well, it cancels out a starting sg, imo.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#234 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm

“Just being 10 toes down, no matter what situation is going on,” he said Friday when reflecting on his season. “Staying solid, being a good teammate no matter how I'm being treated or what's going on or thrown my way. Just staying solid, really just all the way through, and being able to finish the year healthy and going out there and trying to continue to keep playing.”

“To be honest it's really not my choice,” he said. “They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here. So again, at the end of the day, I would love to be anywhere I'm wanted, anywhere I can help contribute towards winning, anywhere that can see me as part of their future or sees me as part of something they got going on that would be great to be a part of..."

“Again, that opportunity [to start] only presented itself due to injuries,” he said. “Again, Year after year, time after time, never just: go ahead and do that. No, it’s always because that opportunity presented itself and I was ready for it, so just continue to stay ready and continue to show an improvement and continue to just try to contribute towards winning as much as I can.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/after-solid-year-with-raptors-trent-jr-s-future-a-key-off-season-question/
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#235 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:12 pm

Well IQ and RJ are the 1 and 2 and Poeltl is the five position.
Depending on where you see barnes slotting in, we need a strong 3 or 4.
trent is not a starter on this team even as presently constructed as a lottery team. he can potentially be part of a good backup if we can get a strong veteran PG to go alongside with dick, olynyk.
having said that, i think he splits the first chance he gets. i would be very surprised if he is back next year.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#236 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
“Just being 10 toes down, no matter what situation is going on,” he said Friday when reflecting on his season. “Staying solid, being a good teammate no matter how I'm being treated or what's going on or thrown my way. Just staying solid, really just all the way through, and being able to finish the year healthy and going out there and trying to continue to keep playing.”

“To be honest it's really not my choice,” he said. “They gotta want me, so it's like I could say I want to come here, but it doesn’t matter if they don't want me here. So again, at the end of the day, I would love to be anywhere I'm wanted, anywhere I can help contribute towards winning, anywhere that can see me as part of their future or sees me as part of something they got going on that would be great to be a part of..."

“Again, that opportunity [to start] only presented itself due to injuries,” he said. “Again, Year after year, time after time, never just: go ahead and do that. No, it’s always because that opportunity presented itself and I was ready for it, so just continue to stay ready and continue to show an improvement and continue to just try to contribute towards winning as much as I can.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article/after-solid-year-with-raptors-trent-jr-s-future-a-key-off-season-question/

serious question: if we have dj carton taking his minutes off the bench, how much of a dropoff would you really see? and he would come at a fraction of the price.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#237 » by ArthurVandelay » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm

AkelaLoneWolf wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

serious question: if we have dj carton taking his minutes off the bench, how much of a dropoff would you really see? and he would come at a fraction of the price.

I think it is a big drop off

Regardless Gary needs to go. Those quotes are the quotes of a person who feels disrespected and unwanted. He wants to start, Raptors don’t feel the same.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,578

Post#238 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm

GTJ opted in and we couldn’t find a good trade for him at the deadline. The notion resigning him would make him a good tradable asset is laughable. I see him walking this summer.
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM

Post#239 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:20 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
AkelaLoneWolf wrote:

I think it is a big drop off

Regardless Gary needs to go. Those quotes are the quotes of a person who feels disrespected and unwanted. He wants to start, Raptors don’t feel the same.

it actually isn't. despite how negatively we view trent, he's still overrated on this board. shooting is becoming plentiful these days(great shooting still rare) but much more replaceable at trent's skill level. I think easily doable thru the draft or summer league signings.
greekman
Senior
And1: 311

Post#240 » by greekman » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:29 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:

how ru spose to treat a guy who averages 9 ppg 29% shooting 1 month and 20 ppg 43% shooting the next in the same amount of playing time ?

Return to Toronto Raptors