ImageImageImageImageImage

Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Fair ACV amount for Trent this summer

$14-16 million/year
45%
$16-18 million/year
26%
$18-20 million/year
23%
$20-22 million/year
7%
$22+ million/year
No votes

Total votes: 133

mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Re: Gary Trent Jr. - Fair Contract Offer? 

Post#301 » by mieshpal » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:11 am

agkagk wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Just give him the same contract he got now

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

His current deal plus inflation.

Aka about 20 per

Hes a young ufa. Hes an elite 3 pt shooter with a high character and he’s kinda “toolsie” - he still has that upside shine on him.

4 and 80 is my guess.
I agree. 4 year 84 to 86 max

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,227

Post#302 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:50 am

mieshpal wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Just give him the same contract he got now

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

His current deal plus inflation.

Aka about 20 per

Hes a young ufa. Hes an elite 3 pt shooter with a high character and he’s kinda “toolsie” - he still has that upside shine on him.

4 and 80 is my guess.
I agree. 4 year 84 to 86 max

Sent from my Pixel 8 using RealGM mobile app

Elite?
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,658

Post#303 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:41 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Yeah, anyone can see the slant there. No need to say it.

Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

Any comment that now that at least HE knew what his worth really was? And... lol.

Like I said.. he took a discount and really wanted to stay.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1779905828214153385%7Ctwgr%5E5f9af20323019006dceb97ad3eb5c1226951aa3f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2371673start%3D40

Loll I agreed with you that he was worth 4/80ish after the year he had. That still makes Trent worth a lot less than Grayson so he'd be lucky to get 17.5M a year.

Like I was saying, I'm not a fan of one dimensional selfish inefficient chuckers but would be ok on a short 15M per season deal.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#304 » by C_Money » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:47 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Any comment after a clearly better player in Grayson Allen just signed for 4/70? Lol

Any comment that now that at least HE knew what his worth really was? And... lol.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1779905828214153385%7Ctwgr%5E5f9af20323019006dceb97ad3eb5c1226951aa3f%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2371673start%3D40

Loll I agreed with you that he was worth 4/80ish after the year he had. That still makes Trent worth a lot less than Grayson so he'd be lucky to get 17.5M a year.

Like I was saying, I'm not a fan of one dimensional selfishinefficient chuckers but would be ok on a short 15M per season deal.

I don’t even agree when people say this. If we compare Gary’s defence to Olynyk or Nwora he’s quite a bit better.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#305 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:06 am

C_Money wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Read on Twitter

Like I was saying, I'm not a fan of one dimensional selfishinefficient chuckers but would be ok on a short 15M per season deal.

I don’t even agree when people say this. If we compare Gary’s defence to Olynyk or Nwora he’s quite a bit better.

Dude, all those guys suck defensively. If that's your standard then the Raptors will continue being crap lol.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#306 » by C_Money » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:23 am

Tor_Raps wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:

Dude, all those guys suck defensively. If that's your standard then the Raptors will continue being crap lol.

My point is his defence is passable. He’s not downright hurting the team on that end like the other two are.

This should be taken into account along with his dead eye 3 point shooting when deciding to re-sign him.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#307 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:30 am

C_Money wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
C_Money wrote:

My point is his defence is passable. He’s not downright hurting the team on that end like the other two are.

This should be taken into account along with his dead eye 3 point shooting when deciding to re-sign him.

I'll disagree because it's not like he's a good rebounder or good at boxing out, he literally does nothing on the basketball court but take shots so hes practically useless when they're not going in,

As long as we get him for around 15M, I'm OK because the 3 point shooting is nice to have. I just think Dick will be able to provide what Trent does next year but more within the team concept and there's only so many nondefenders one team should have in the rotation.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,976

Post#308 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:29 pm

There's absolutely no way I'm offering Gary a deal. The team does not know if it will be competitive next year, and he does not have ideal skills for .5 basketball. His replacement is Jordan Nwora, who should be much cheaper and is just a couple of months older. per 36 the numbers are pretty close, and Jordan rebounds. Defense isn't important for either, even though Jordan is downright negligent there his ideal role is just bench scoring. I don't see Gary as any different. We're going to sacrifice D for guys like Gary, Jordan, Gradey anyway.

The way to look at is is who is likely to provide value on their next deal. If you get Jordan on 24/3 or whatever, he has a shot at outplaying that deal. I don't think Gary has shown he can outplay the next offer he's going to get. Retaining the asset isn't worth it, because Masai has no leverage these days anyway and his bargaining games have been weaponized against him by rival GMs, and we know that Gary really hasn't had a lot of trade value over the last few years.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,417

Post#309 » by And1+2 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:38 pm

Let him walk.
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#310 » by agkagk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:01 am

C_Money wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
C_Money wrote:

Is it safe to say hes basically a young buddy hield type with more or less league average defence?
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,884

Post#311 » by agkagk » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:02 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:There's absolutely no way I'm offering Gary a deal. The team does not know if it will be competitive next year, and he does not have ideal skills for .5 basketball. His replacement is Jordan Nwora, who should be much cheaper and is just a couple of months older. per 36 the numbers are pretty close, and Jordan rebounds. Defense isn't important for either, even though Jordan is downright negligent there his ideal role is just bench scoring. I don't see Gary as any different. We're going to sacrifice D for guys like Gary, Jordan, Gradey anyway.

The way to look at is is who is likely to provide value on their next deal. If you get Jordan on 24/3 or whatever, he has a shot at outplaying that deal. I don't think Gary has shown he can outplay the next offer he's going to get. Retaining the asset isn't worth it, because Masai has no leverage these days anyway and his bargaining games have been weaponized against him by rival GMs, and we know that Gary really hasn't had a lot of trade value over the last few years.

Ya i figure, dick, nwora and a cheap-o veteran off the bench can absorb trents minutes.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,127

Post#312 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:There's absolutely no way I'm offering Gary a deal. The team does not know if it will be competitive next year, and he does not have ideal skills for .5 basketball. His replacement is Jordan Nwora, who should be much cheaper and is just a couple of months older. per 36 the numbers are pretty close, and Jordan rebounds. Defense isn't important for either, even though Jordan is downright negligent there his ideal role is just bench scoring. I don't see Gary as any different. We're going to sacrifice D for guys like Gary, Jordan, Gradey anyway.

For 12 mill - i.e. slightly more than DDV, who's a much more well-rounded player - I would bring Gary back. But I highly suspect Raps intend to be a cap space team this summer. It's the only way to collect draft picks - i.e. by taking on bad contracts - the way OKC did. So goodbye Gary and Barry.

Return to Toronto Raptors