ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,662

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#41 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:13 am

Psubs wrote:If we don't move into the top 4, would you trade #6, Bruce Brown, Chris Boucher and future 1st pick for Donovan Mitchell?

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - Ochai
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk

Lmao the Cavs are gonna get better offers than that
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,662

Post#42 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:32 am

Wonder if Poeltl is enough for the Grizz to give up Kennard, LaRavia and their top 10 pick. Especially if they were just gonna take Clingan

Also think BB for H. Barnes + 14th pick might be doable so the Kings can get off of Barnes contract. Maybe we swap the 14th for the 31st pick
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#43 » by Ell Curry » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:34 am

Psubs wrote:If we don't move into the top 4, would you trade #6, Bruce Brown, Chris Boucher and future 1st pick for Donovan Mitchell?

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk

I don't really see us trading for Donovan Mitchell, as he'd have to agree to an extension for it to make sense and I don't see why he would. We should compete for him in 2025 as a free agent but yeah we won't get him.

In any case, if he decided he wanted to come here and sign an extension and play with Scottie, I think the more realistic offer would be something like #6, RJ Barrett and a future 1st since that gives Cleveland a younger wing to go with Garland-Mobley-Allen and then they can draft a wing to try to take over from Strus in a couple of years.

Raptors - Mitchell, Niang, Ty Jerome
Cleveland - Barrett, #6, Bruce Brown, 2028 unprotected first

and Cleveland gets off of Niang's deal (They're 5.5 points worse off with him on the floor, so I imagine they don't think the deal is going that well).
Where's the D?
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#44 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:03 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Wonder if Poeltl is enough for the Grizz to give up Kennard, LaRavia and their top 10 pick. Especially if they were just gonna take Clingan

Also think BB for H. Barnes + 14th pick might be doable so the Kings can get off of Barnes contract. Maybe we swap the 14th for the 31st pick

I don't even need the 14th pick for that trade. Maybe a 2nd rounder next year?

PG IQ
SG Barrett - Dick
SF HBarnes - Dick
PF SBarnes
C Poeltl - Olynyk
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,791

Post#45 » by Michael Jordan » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:07 am

This is a lot like the Tampa Bay season - just an ugly season that can't be over soon enough.

I'm optimistic they'll get a hidden gem or 2 from the draft along with a key off-season acquisition. They're one solid starter away from being a top 6 seed.

Quickley
Barrett
???
Barnes
Poeltl

The core is definitely talented but just need a solid glue guy to bring it home. The second unit of Trent, Brown, Olynyk, and Boucher is decent and much better than what we've seen the past couple of years.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,262

Post#46 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:18 pm

In my opinion, here are our team's biggest needs heading into this off-season:

Rim-protecting big:
This is one of the biggest reasons why the Raptors have been terrible this year, especially when Poetl is out. All the good teams have some sort of rim-protector that they can rely on. Soon, this going to be Vic's league, and so having a mobile big as part of our core is going to be very important. A big who can also shoot and handle the ball is nice, but there aren't too many of those out there right now.

Potential free agents this summer to fill in this hole: Nic Claxton, Isaiah Hartenstein, Jalen Smith, Richaun Holmes (PO), Mo Bamba, Jaxson Hayes (PO), Bol Bol.

Potential 2024 draft candidates: Sarr (if we get lucky), Clingan, Filipowski, Missi, Ware, Holmes II, Edey, Chomche, Ivisic.

3-D wing
The OG trade was very nice, but it leaves us with a hole at the 3 spot again. Barnes has been left with more defensive duties, but IMO he is best suited as a play-making power forward, which means we need another big wing who can help play some defensive and also hit some shots. I think the Raptors wanted to give Ochai a chance, but IMO he is better suited as a big wing off the bench. We need someone with more talent at the 3 spot.

Potential free agents this summer: OG (lol), Malik Monk (more of a SG), Patrick Wiliams (RFA, but who knows what the Bulls want to do with him), Lonnie Walker, Okoro (RFA), Caleb Martin (PO), Bey (RFA)

Potential 2024 draft candidate: Castle, Risacher, Cody Williams, Buzelis, Holland, Salaun, Silva, K George, Tyson.

Back up point guard
I think this is less important than the above two, but IQ needs a back up that is more reliable than JFL. I prefer a vet back up more than a rookie for next season, but whichever gives us more talent.

Potential free agents this summer: Lowry, Fultz, Tyus Jones, Monte Morris, Delon Wright

Potential 2024 draft candidates: Topic, Sheppard, Dillingham, Collier, McCain, Devin Carter, Kolek, Simpson, Carrington
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 582

Post#47 » by youreachiteach » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:47 pm

How about Bitadze? I think he's the perfect fit--great shot blocker and a decent shot.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,490

Post#48 » by YelloC » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:26 pm

Naz Reid would look good on this team. It’s too bad that he signed such a reasonable deal that likely makes him too valuable to trade. He might want to get out from under shadow of KAT and Gobert but other than that, I don’t see the Wolves trading him.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#49 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:42 pm

Unless taking Tyler Smith as a PF/C or Ivisic as a possible Chet, Wemby defender, please don't draft a big.

Why not throw $20 million per year for 4 years at Isaiah Hartenstein? That's not bad for his age 26-29 prime. In 25 mpg, he gets 1 stl and 1 blk but his defense is pretty good and also has an A/T of 2. He would be prefect for this offense.

Then trade Poeltl and a 2nd pick for any 1st pick. :D
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,440

Post#50 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:20 pm

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk

No.
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#51 » by MiamiSPX » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:51 pm

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk

That's not nearly enough for Mitchell, and he would also tell Masai he will not pick up his PO with the Raps after next season.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,440

Post#52 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:43 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:In my opinion, here are our team's biggest needs heading into this off-season:

Rim-protecting big:
This is one of the biggest reasons why the Raptors have been terrible this year, especially when Poetl is out. All the good teams have some sort of rim-protector that they can rely on. Soon, this going to be Vic's league, and so having a mobile big as part of our core is going to be very important. A big who can also shoot and handle the ball is nice, but there aren't too many of those out there right now.

Potential free agents this summer to fill in this hole: Nic Claxton, Isaiah Hartenstein, Jalen Smith, Richaun Holmes (PO), Mo Bamba, Jaxson Hayes (PO), Bol Bol.

Potential 2024 draft candidates: Sarr (if we get lucky), Clingan, Filipowski, Missi, Ware, Holmes II, Edey, Chomche, Ivisic.

3-D wing
The OG trade was very nice, but it leaves us with a hole at the 3 spot again. Barnes has been left with more defensive duties, but IMO he is best suited as a play-making power forward, which means we need another big wing who can help play some defensive and also hit some shots. I think the Raptors wanted to give Ochai a chance, but IMO he is better suited as a big wing off the bench. We need someone with more talent at the 3 spot.

Potential free agents this summer: OG (lol), Malik Monk (more of a SG), Patrick Wiliams (RFA, but who knows what the Bulls want to do with him), Lonnie Walker, Okoro (RFA), Caleb Martin (PO), Bey (RFA)

Potential 2024 draft candidate: Castle, Risacher, Cody Williams, Buzelis, Holland, Salaun, Silva, K George, Tyson.

Back up point guard
I think this is less important than the above two, but IQ needs a back up that is more reliable than JFL. I prefer a vet back up more than a rookie for next season, but whichever gives us more talent.

Potential free agents this summer: Lowry, Fultz, Tyus Jones, Monte Morris, Delon Wright

Potential 2024 draft candidates: Topic, Sheppard, Dillingham, Collier, McCain, Devin Carter, Kolek, Simpson, Carrington

This is about the size of it for me.

I'm not sure who I want yet with our FRP but interestingly enough, I'm a little more excited about the middle of the draft than I am the top. Guys like Carter and Ware have been on my radar for a while and I think they have a really good shot at out-performing their draft spot. With the Pacers pick at #17, I'm hoping that at least one of those two guys will be on the board at the time - preferably Carter. I think he's a stud.

This would also be a great time to move off of Poeltl's salary. I like the guy and I don't think his salary is out of line objectively but it doesn't make a lot of sense for where we are as a team. If OKC or Memphis is willing to do something around some quality picks, I think we'd be fools to not consider it although this would be a draft day decision for me. My personal willingness to do a deal would highly depend on what's coming back and who's on the board. Memphis could offer something like Kennard, Clarke & #7 for Poeltl + Boucher & #31, which might be worthwhile depending on what happened with our pick and where it ultimately lands. OKC doesn't have much by way off salary to offer but I do like DaRon Holmes as well and an opportunity to draft him with an acquired pick is something I would consider.

If we could get something done around Bruce Brown, that would be great too. Unfortunately, I can't see interest from the Knicks anymore but maybe the Magic? Fultz and Harris are expiring and they'll probably want to keep Bitadze and Wagner long term. Maybe there's something that could be done around Brown and Carter Jr?

As for free agents - we should really only be looking at potentially adding Patrick Williams as a long term pieces. Everyone else we may add should be veterans who would be coming on cheap deals to add some depth and mentorship to our young core. Now that we traded for Agbaji (still don't think this was really great deal but whatever), I don't think we need to keep Trent since we already have Barrett eating up most of the SG minutes. The questions would be 1. How much would it take for the Bulls not to match? 2. What would it take to entice them in a potential S&T?

There are a lot of variations on how this can go but going into the season with:

Quickley(Resign, $80-$100M/4yrs)/Carter (Indiana pick?)/Lowry (Veteran Min)
Barrett/Dick/Agbaji
Williams ($80-$100M/yrs)/Kennard (expiring)/Nwora (Re-sign to minimum), Vet Min (Hayward?)
Barnes/Clarke (3yrs - MLE remaining)/Veteran Min
Carter(2 yrs/~$26M remaining)/Olynyk/Clingan (TOR pick?)

Plus we would still have the Memphis 2024 FRP under this scenario. Young team and everyone is on reasonable team friendly deals.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,791

Post#53 » by Michael Jordan » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:42 am

I'm gonna predict Giannis and the Bucks part ways within the next 2 years. His supporting cast is aging but the Bucks don't have much draft assets or salary cap flexibility.

Lillard and Middleton's best days are behind them but they're owed an average of $90M over the next 2 seasons. Pelicans and Blazers own a number of their future draft assets over the next 4 years.

They lost in the first round last season and potentially this year too, despite being in the top 4 in team payroll over the next 4 years.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 458

Post#54 » by Smalltown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:41 pm

I have this sinking feeling that the move is going to be Trae Young. That's my nightmare lol
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#55 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:53 pm

The trade is probably going to be Wiggins for Brown with additional compensation coming our way. GS is mandated to cut salary & just letting Klay walk isn't enough,

In Raptor Ball I Trust
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#56 » by itbobby007 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:52 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:The trade is probably going to be Wiggins for Brown with additional compensation coming our way. GS is mandated to cut salary & just letting Klay walk isn't enough,

I can totally see this. Brown + Boucher for Wiggins and a future first.

I think we roll the dice on Wiggins while we rebuild as a stop gap SF. Let’s hope for an uptick in production with the change of scenery like RJ.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#57 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:08 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk

No.

What do you mean no? That is highway robbery :lol:
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#58 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:09 pm

itbobby007 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:The trade is probably going to be Wiggins for Brown with additional compensation coming our way. GS is mandated to cut salary & just letting Klay walk isn't enough,

I think we roll the dice on Wiggins while we rebuild as a stop gap SF. Let’s hope for an uptick in production with the change of scenery like RJ.

Yeah I dont hate it, but I also dont love it.

But if the return Siakam ends up being Wiggins & 3 firsts it is hard to complain.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#59 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:16 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
itbobby007 wrote:

But if the return Siakam ends up being Wiggins & 3 firsts it is hard to complain.

IQ
RJ
Wiggins
Barnes
Jakob

I like the fact that we get back to 6'7+ at the 2,3,4 spots. Sprinkle in some GD Ochai Kelly & hopefully one of this yrs picks pans out, that's a solid start to a rebuild with multiple picks in 26 as a possibility.

3 of those players will probably spend the summer together with team Canada as well

In Raptor Ball I Trust
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#60 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:01 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
itbobby007 wrote:

IQ
RJ
Wiggins
Barnes
Jakob

I like the fact that we get back to 6'7+ at the 2,3,4 spots. Sprinkle in some GD Ochai Kelly & hopefully one of this yrs picks pans out, that's a solid start to a rebuild with multiple picks in 26 as a possibility.

3 of those players will probably spend the summer together with team Canada as well

Questionable shooting from your 2, 3, and 4 again however. You honestly might have to start

IQ/GTJ/RJ/Barnes/Jak with a ???/Dick/Wiggins/Olynyk/??? bench

Return to Toronto Raptors