ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#101 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:04 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:I hope guys like Hield, Okoro (R), Patrick Williams (R), Isaiah Joe, Melton, Saric, Jalen Smith, Queta, and McDermott should be on our list. Our bench can be rebuilt in one offseason if we spend our money well.

We’ve obviously had our differences lol but there’s a few names I’d like off this list…

These seem like realistic ones:

Isaiah Joe *prob my favourite of these names, I’d pay him less than bringing back Gary
Melton
Jalen Smith

These 2 I like but think they’ll want too much:

Hield
PWill *fav of the bunch but I think he’s gonna demand way more than he’s actually worth

I do think we need a back up PG so I do like Melton but I just get a sense he’ll probably prioritize a winning team unless we overpay because he should have a good amount of teams interested in him. So I’d also consider guys like Tyus Jones & Kris Dunn. Not that he’d be anything special but I think Taurean Prince would be decent as an additional floor spacer and we lack length on the wings aside from Scottie.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
vanhill
Senior
And1: 245

Post#102 » by vanhill » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:39 am

Dalek wrote:
Dzanan Musa on an NBA future: The contacts are there, but I am focused on the season with Real.

https://sportando.basketball/en/dzanan-musa-on-an-nba-future-the-contacts-are-there-but-i-am-focused-on-the-season-with-real/

By far my primary target for young Raps. Still pretty young, playing on Real and one of Europe's best players. Easily slots in as a big shooter with some toughness.

He is a natural scorer. Able to shoot from deep consistently. Excellent addition for the raps
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#103 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 pm

What about Agbaji for Norman Powell?

Clippers save so much money as they they will have to pay Harden. The $14-15 million difference is salary is worth a late 1st pick. Heck we got a 1st pick from New Orleans from taking back Kira Lewis, though Lewis was barely GLeague level expiring.

Raptors could use Powell's offense off the bench.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#104 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

vanhill wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Dzanan Musa on an NBA future: The contacts are there, but I am focused on the season with Real.

https://sportando.basketball/en/dzanan-musa-on-an-nba-future-the-contacts-are-there-but-i-am-focused-on-the-season-with-real/

By far my primary target for young Raps. Still pretty young, playing on Real and one of Europe's best players. Easily slots in as a big shooter with some toughness.

He is a natural scorer. Able to shoot from deep consistently. Excellent addition for the raps

Late bloomer that just needed PT to develop. BK drafted him and even the Pistons waived him in 2020. :lol:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#105 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

Psubs wrote:
vanhill wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Late bloomer that just needed PT to develop. BK drafted him and even the Pistons waived him in 2020. :lol:

Pistons always give up too early: Khris Middleton, Bruce Brown, Saddiq Bey, KCP, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant all became quality players, some even championship level.

Musa will have loads of competition, and it may come from playoff teams, but we have cap space and he is a guy I like better than a lot of NBA options.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#106 » by ArthurVandelay » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:38 pm

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/04/jazzs-ainge-going-big-game-hunting-this-summer.html

“We’re ready to go big game hunting,” Ainge told reporters on Tuesday, adding that the Jazz will ideally trade for an All-Star level player in the prime of his career.

We’re not really interested in dinosaurs,” he said. “We’re interested in like, good six or seven years guys, those are good players. I’m not saying that we wouldn’t go get some veteran players for a short-term fix while we take buy us some time. But that’s not as likely.”

Is he saying he isn't going to trade with Raptors? :-?

Ainge said he almost landed that type of player last offseason.

“We felt like we were close (on a trade) once in this process that would have changed the dynamic of our team immediately,” Ainge said. “But that hasn’t happened.”

What Ainge doesn’t want is to go into training camp with a roster relying heavily on rookies and second-year players, according to Sarah Todd of the Deseret News. Utah currently has three of the top 32 picks in this year’s draft. The Jazz had three first-round picks last June.

“If we start all over, then we’re three years, possibly four years from being anywhere. We feel like we’re closer than that, and we have a chance. We’re going all in this summer,” Ainge said. “When I say ‘all in,’ that doesn’t mean that we’re going to throw all our chips in, like championship or bust. I’m saying our mindset is that we’re doing everything only to try to win. That’s our only objective … and if we don’t land anything, we don’t make any deals, we don’t land anything, then our direction could change.”

Translation: Good luck getting our 1st next year too, Presti!
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,197

Post#107 » by Mr Swagtastic » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 am

Psubs wrote:What about Agbaji for Norman Powell?

Clippers save so much money as they they will have to pay Harden. The $14-15 million difference is salary is worth a late 1st pick. Heck we got a 1st pick from New Orleans from taking back Kira Lewis, though Lewis was barely GLeague level expiring.

I don't see it for The Clippers. Steve Balmer is stupid rich and he is willing to pay for a very good team. They locked Kawhi up next is George. Powell is the odds on favorite to win 6th man. Why trade him for a guy who is obviously very raw and doesn't fit their timeline?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Psubs
RealGM

Post#108 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:

I don't see it for The Clippers. Steve Balmer is stupid rich and he is willing to pay for a very good team. They locked Kawhi up next is George. Powell is the odds on favorite to win 6th man. Why trade him for a guy who is obviously very raw and doesn't fit their timeline?

They have to pay Harden too. Also with the savings, would be more inclined to use the MLE.

What about Agbaji and Boucher for Deandre Hunter with his contract?
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#109 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:36 pm

Psubs wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

They have to pay Harden too. Also with the savings, would be more inclined to use the MLE.

My only issue is that Hunter's contract continues past next season (which is obv why ATL would even be entertaining this deal to begin with) and I really want us to hopefully have the cap space to try and throw a max contract offer at Trey Murphy next off-season. I'm not sure if that will be possible as I admit I'm far from a capologist lol

I just don't think NOP can afford to keep all of Zion, BI, CJ and now Trey. Although now the idea is starting to float out there that maybe the Pels will move on from BI. I'm not a huge fan of his but he is definitely very talented and I'd wonder what his final price would end up being. He's probably more talented than any wing we'll be able to draft any time soon and I do think a combo like him & Scottie could at least be comparable to Paolo & Franz (if not better) PLUS we'd of course still have IQ & RJ that I don't think we'd be a championship contender but we'd be one of the better youngish teams in the East that can tweak the roster over time....

Just sayin BI might be a player worth looking into depending on the price...
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 456

Post#110 » by youngRAPZ » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm

Psubs wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

I honestly don’t see Masai giving up on Ochai that quickly unless it’s for a can’t miss trade. Certainly not for norm or hunter. (Not that I think these trades aren’t fair)
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,102

Post#111 » by MiamiSPX » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:07 pm

youngRAPZ wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:I don't see it for The Clippers. Steve Balmer is stupid rich and he is willing to pay for a very good team. They locked Kawhi up next is George. Powell is the odds on favorite to win 6th man. Why trade him for a guy who is obviously very raw and doesn't fit their timeline?

I honestly don’t see Masai giving up on Ochai that quickly unless it’s for a can’t miss trade. Certainly not for norm or hunter. (Not that I think these trades aren’t fair)

After the way Masai spoke about Ochai yesterday, he is not being moved anytime soon. They are going to give him every chance possible to become a regular rotation piece.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,815

Post#112 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm

If Bulls miss the playoff and get the #11 pick, I wonder if Bruce Brown and the Indy pick for Lonzo's expiring and #11 makes sense for both teams.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:33 pm

Zeno wrote:If Bulls miss the playoff and get the #11 pick, I wonder if Bruce Brown and the Indy pick for Lonzo's expiring and #11 makes sense for both teams.

I'd strongly consider that. Tell Lonzo to stay home and continue his rehab. Then you have another expiring contract next February to work with.

Something tells me they are hoping Brown or cap space returns 2025 or 2027 picks.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#114 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:48 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:If Bulls miss the playoff and get the #11 pick, I wonder if Bruce Brown and the Indy pick for Lonzo's expiring and #11 makes sense for both teams.

I'd strongly consider that. Tell Lonzo to stay home and continue his rehab. Then you have another expiring contract next February to work with.

Something tells me they are hoping Brown or cap space returns 2025 or 2027 picks.

Yeah that is definitely what they are hoping for but I think if they get to draft day and there is a player that they like higher up the draft, they might use Brown to do that. Another option might be if the Kings miss the playoffs and keep their pick at #13 or so. In that case maybe taking on Huerter, Vezenkov(or Mitchell expiring), 13 for Brown, Indy pick might make sense for the Kings.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,106

Post#115 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:33 pm

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

Yeah that is definitely what they are hoping for but I think if they get to draft day and there is a player that they like higher up the draft, they might use Brown to do that. Another option might be if the Kings miss the playoffs and keep their pick at #13 or so. In that case maybe taking on Huerter, Vezenkov(or Mitchell expiring), 13 for Brown, Indy pick might make sense for the Kings.

This is assuming that (a) we conveyed our pick to the Spurs and (b) we've really targeted a guy - e.g.Collier - in that range. We'd want to find a talent who could start. Who do you think they'd be targeting?
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#116 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

For those advocating trying to win as many games as possible next season, Sacramento is my (recent) cautionary tale. I believe they peaked last year. The players with the most value are the guys they would want to keep (Fox, Sabonis, Keegan), they have a bunch of $8-18m contracts that have little trade value, they are approaching the luxury tax with an extension owed to Murray soon, and they are going to have difficulty keeping Monk becuase they don't have his Bird Rights.

That is what happens when you want immediate results (ie. just make the playoffs)...then what?
Zeno
RealGM

Post#117 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:59 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

This is assuming that (a) we conveyed our pick to the Spurs and (b) we've really targeted a guy - e.g.Collier - in that range. We'd want to find a talent who could start. Who do you think they'd be targeting?

No idea. I am not very informed on most prospects or form strong feelings about them generally. It is more that I see the potential of using the asset of Brown and flexibility to move up in this draft if they have someone that they think is off the board with the Indy pick given it is looking like it could be pretty low now. But in the mid 1st round, eventual starter is a great outcome generally. Gradey looks like an eventual starter at least. They might not like anyone enough at this point to sacrifice any flexibility.

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#118 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

For those advocating trying to win as many games as possible next season, Sacramento is my (recent) cautionary tale. I believe they peaked last year. The players with the most value are the guys they would want to keep (Fox, Sabonis, Keegan), they have a bunch of $8-18m contracts that have little trade value, they are approaching the luxury tax with an extension owed to Murray soon, and they are going to have difficulty keeping Monk becuase they don't have his Bird Rights.

That is what happens when you want immediate results (ie. just make the playoffs)...then what?

I see where you are coming from but I think every situation is different. Given where they stood previously with Fox devalued as an asset and continual trips to the lottery for two decades almost, they’ve made great progress re-establishing a foundation. In some ways they remind me of the Knicks except they don’t have the attraction of their market to continue building with. If they top out as a first round loser in the next two years after a period of 45 win basketball, they can rebuild with more patience next time. But to me, it there are some situations where teams need to just enjoy any success they can get. That isn’t to say that’s my opinion on a team that had a decade of winning and a championship in its recent past either.

Please advise….

Dan G.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#119 » by ArthurVandelay » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:Yeah that is definitely what they are hoping for but I think if they get to draft day and there is a player that they like higher up the draft, they might use Brown to do that. Another option might be if the Kings miss the playoffs and keep their pick at #13 or so. In that case maybe taking on Huerter, Vezenkov(or Mitchell expiring), 13 for Brown, Indy pick might make sense for the Kings.

I see where you are coming from but I think every situation is different. Given where they stood previously with Fox devalued as an asset and continual trips to the lottery for two decades almost, they’ve made great progress re-establishing a foundation. In some ways they remind me of the Knicks except they don’t have the attraction of their market to continue building with. If they top out as a first round loser in the next two years after a period of 45 win basketball, they can rebuild with more patience next time. But to me, it there are some situations where teams need to just enjoy any success they can get. That isn’t to say that’s my opinion on a team that had a decade of winning and a championship in its recent past either.

All fair points.

As you said their circumstances dictated they just wanted to get to the playoffs. I see many posts around here with the same sentiment.

I want to see them build for greatness rather than being decent.
Zeno
RealGM

Post#120 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:05 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:

All fair points.

As you said their circumstances dictated they just wanted to get to the playoffs. I see many posts around here with the same sentiment.

I want to see them build for greatness rather than being decent.

I don’t disagree with you though I think I’m a little less committed to a single pathway to getting there. To me just allow the young core to prove their worth or lack there of and react to that. Make sure any success they have is as a result of those you are building around. I’m not opposed to a rotation guy like Kelly but perhaps keeping Yak around but the winning if there is any needs to be a result of the younger guys proving their worth. If they add anyone over 26 that will actually play and that adding them is to improve the win total rather than accumulating more assets, I will be disappointed.

Please advise….

Dan G.

Return to Toronto Raptors