ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#21 » by ishoy123 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:21 pm

agkagk wrote:
islandboy53 wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:
The whole point of doing all the trades this year is so we don't end up with a contract like Wiggins.

Thank you.

Go take a long look at the cap, wiggins contract, age and impact as a 3 and d wing.

Otherwise, you can count on one hand the other elite 3 and d wings.

Og, wiggins, mcdaniels, maybe dort, see already a big drop off!

RJ Barrett :wink:
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,662

Post#22 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:01 pm

JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Poeltl and 17 for Kennard and Grizz pick

Regardless of if we get our own or not we take Clingon with the Grizz pick (assuming no Sarr). Use BB and Gary to get another first and draft a wing and/or another pg

Who might give a FRP for Brown?

No one is giving a first for the privilege of overpaying GTJr.

I think the Knicks might give one of their 2 picks in the 20s for BB and I think thats what was offered earlier this season

A team like Phx might want a cheaper sg replacement over Allen who may be too expensive to keep. Whoever they draft might not be ready to compete and this is already a poor draft.

Also don't know what you consider an overpay but I don't see Gary getting much more than a mid level deal. Max 16-18 million annually.
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,429

Post#23 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:37 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Regardless of if we get our own or not we take Clingon with the Grizz pick (assuming no Sarr). Use BB and Gary to get another first and draft a wing and/or another pg

I think the Knicks might give one of their 2 picks in the 20s for BB and I think thats what was offered earlier this season

A team like Phx might want a cheaper sg replacement over Allen who may be too expensive to keep. Whoever they draft might not be ready to compete and this is already a poor draft.

Also don't know what you consider an overpay but I don't see Gary getting much more than a mid level deal. Max 16-18 million annually.

Maybe NYK would. They are in a weird spot.

No one is giving anything for GTJr. I thought that would be his salary after last season but he really pooped his pants this year.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst

Post#24 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:06 pm

JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
JRoy wrote:

No one is giving anything for GTJr. I thought that would be his salary after last season but he really pooped his pants this year.

Yeah so if he's set to make around the midlevel a team that is paying out the ass in luxury tax might want to get a cheap bench guard they can keep on the books. Hes not a starter level sg but he still makes 40% on 3's and has played well in a playoff rotation in a larger role than he'd have on a contending team

Nassir Little and their 2024 pick for GTJ on the MLE so they don't have to pay Allen over 20 million might be a win for them. Might even do a swap of the their pick for the Det 31-32 pick so they still keep a pick but at least save on how much they have to pay the rookie.

I don't see anyone in that range playing meaningful minutes for the Suns unless they are high on Ware and think he can help them contend now
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,429

Post#25 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:25 pm

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:

Yeah so if he's set to make around the midlevel a team that is paying out the ass in luxury tax might want to get a cheap bench guard they can keep on the books. Hes not a starter level sg but he still makes 40% on 3's and has played well in a playoff rotation in a larger role than he'd have on a contending team

Nassir Little and their 2024 pick for GTJ on the MLE so they don't have to pay Allen over 20 million might be a win for them. Might even do a swap of the their pick for the Det 31-32 pick so they still keep a pick but at least save on how much they have to pay the rookie.

I don't see anyone in that range playing meaningful minutes for the Suns unless they are high on Ware and think he can help them contend now

PHX might just be desperate enough to go for that.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
islandboy53
Pro Prospect
And1: 501

Post#26 » by islandboy53 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:05 pm

JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Phoenix is certain to be a 1st apron team. As such, they have to send out at least as much salary as they bring back in a trade, meaning Little's $6.75 million isn't enough to bring back Trent at the MLE. At the same time, they can't receive a player in a sign and trade, which this would have to be. In short, Trent can't go to Phoenix.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst

Post#27 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:08 pm

islandboy53 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:Yeah so if he's set to make around the midlevel a team that is paying out the ass in luxury tax might want to get a cheap bench guard they can keep on the books. Hes not a starter level sg but he still makes 40% on 3's and has played well in a playoff rotation in a larger role than he'd have on a contending team

Phoenix is certain to be a 1st apron team. As such, they have to send out at least as much salary as they bring back in a trade, meaning Little's $6.75 million isn't enough to bring back Trent at the MLE. At the same time, they can't receive a player in a sign and trade, which this would have to be. In short, Trent can't go to Phoenix.

Ah well. Something along those lines for the more expensive teams that would want a cheap bench player but don't have the full MLE to pay for them
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,763

Post#28 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:10 pm

JRoy wrote:
UnbelievablyRAW wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Unfortunately PHX can’t do that due to the new CBA…

What are the penalties for the first apron?

The first apron hits when a team's payroll exceeds $172 million. At this point, the following restrictions are triggered:

Teams cannot acquire a player in a sign-and-trade if that player keeps them above the apron
Teams cannot sign a player waived during the regular season whose salary was over the $12.2 million midlevel exception
Salary matching in trades must be within 110 percent, rather than 125 percent for teams not above the apron
What are the penalties for the second apron?

All of the penalties for the first apron apply to the second apron as well, which is triggered when a team's salary exceeds $182.5 million. For the 2023-24 season, one additional penalty is added when crossing the second apron:

No access to the $5 million taxpayer midlevel exception
Starting at the end of the 2023-24 season, even more restrictions will be added to the second apron. These include:

Teams cannot use a trade exception generated by aggregating the salaries of multiple players
Teams cannot include cash in a trade
Teams cannot use a trade exception generated in a prior year
First-round picks seven years out are frozen (unable to be traded)
A team's first-round pick is moved to the end of the first round if they remain in the second apron for three out of five seasons

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nba/news/nba-second-apron-explained-salary-cap-team-spending/efo6htjzzmzrswoncvvlbmhi

TGM
Assistant Coach
And1: 718

Post#29 » by TGM » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:51 am

I’m a huge Jakob fan, but his fit on a team like the Pelicans or Grizzlies is perfect. People will be shocked what you can get for Jakob. I don’t mind keeping him either cause with a healthy team you need a good Center. He just needs to stop rolling his ankle.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:27 am

TGM wrote:

I’m a huge Jakob fan, but his fit on a team like the Pelicans or Grizzlies is perfect. People will be shocked what you can get for Jakob. I don’t mind keeping him either cause with a healthy team you need a good Center. He just needs to stop rolling his ankle.

OKC too
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,880

Post#31 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:55 am

ArthurVandelay wrote:
TGM wrote:

OKC too

Pelicans are desperate to replace val’s shooting.

Jakob’s not a good fit next to zion.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,157

Post#32 » by PoundTown » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:28 am

Man, watching the heat right now and signing either Caleb Martin (UFA) or Haywood highsmith (RFA) would be a good fit with our squad.

Highsmith is like what we want agbaji to be and a bit taller and lengthier. Can guard the 1-4 and would fit well, moves off the ball well and has really hit his stride shooting the 3 ball. We need to get Scottie back to being a premier help defender, that can switch and defend well on the ball rather than using him as our lockdown guy.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#33 » by bballsparkin » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:30 am

agkagk wrote:
Pelicans are desperate to replace val’s shooting.

Jakob’s not a good fit next to zion.

Bruce Brown and Jakob for Zion it is!
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,765

Post#34 » by MessiahUjiri » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:15 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
TGM wrote:

OKC too

Memphis and OKC are great trade teams at the draft.

Contender wannabes who have high/excess draft assets, and a need for C.

I’m really not looking to tank again next year though, which is the implication if we trade Poeltl.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by ArthurVandelay » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:11 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
TGM wrote:

OKC too

Memphis and OKC are great trade teams at the draft.

Contender wannabes who have high/excess draft assets, and a need for C.

I’m really not looking to tank again next year though, which is the implication if we trade Poeltl.

Competition for Poeltl’s services if he were to be made available…

Free agency:
JV
Drummond
Hartenstein
Claxton

Trade market:
Robinson
Allen
Capela
Sengun (dark horse?)
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#36 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:16 pm

I really want us to sign Mac McClung to a 10-day here. G-League MVP, And in his one NBA start he put up 20/9/9 on 8/17 from the field.

He obviously is an athletic dude, is his defense really that bad?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,765

Post#37 » by MessiahUjiri » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:36 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I really want us to sign Mac McClung to a 10-day here. G-League MVP, And in his one NBA start he put up 20/9/9 on 8/17 from the field.

He would be great entertainment on the 905.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,176

Post#38 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Apr 6, 2024 4:44 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I really want us to sign Mac McClung to a 10-day here. G-League MVP, And in his one NBA start he put up 20/9/9 on 8/17 from the field.

He would be great entertainment on the 905.

I mean even as a two-way you could do worse I feel like. The dude averaged 25ppg on 66TS% this year in the G League and has shot 42% from 3 on high volume in his 2-3 years down there.

Like he should get a chance IMO to see if he can be a bench guard - I see more upside there than with Nowell
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#39 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:58 pm

If we don't move into the top 4, would you trade #6, Bruce Brown, Chris Boucher and future 1st pick for Donovan Mitchell?

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Mitchell - Dick
SF Barrett - Dick - Ochai
PF Barnes - #31 - MoG
C Poeltl - Olylnyk
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#40 » by Psubs » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:05 pm

PoundTown wrote:Man, watching the heat right now and signing either Caleb Martin (UFA) or Haywood highsmith (RFA) would be a good fit with our squad.

Highsmith is like what we want agbaji to be and a bit taller and lengthier. Can guard the 1-4 and would fit well, moves off the ball well and has really hit his stride shooting the 3 ball. We need to get Scottie back to being a premier help defender, that can switch and defend well on the ball rather than using him as our lockdown guy.

I could see Caleb Martin opting out and signing the MLE somewhere like Strus leaving. I'm okay with a 4 year deal.

I'd give Highsmith a contract like McDaniels for 2 years.

Return to Toronto Raptors