ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,512

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#141 » by bballsparkin » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:37 am

Poeltl to Memphis for #8 and filler. Raptors pick to spurs at 7. Brooklyn jumps into the lottery top 2 but conveys to Rockets for the laughs. Raptors get a top 7 pick in 2025. That would be a funny turn of events.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,205

Post#142 » by YogurtProducer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:28 pm

bballsparkin wrote:Poeltl to Memphis for #8 and filler. Raptors pick to spurs at 7. Brooklyn jumps into the lottery top 2 but conveys to Rockets for the laughs. Raptors get a top 7 pick in 2025. That would be a funny turn of events.

Honestly would be hilarious if this happened.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,305

Post#143 » by Kordic27 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:03 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:Poeltl to Memphis for #8 and filler. Raptors pick to spurs at 7. Brooklyn jumps into the lottery top 2 but conveys to Rockets for the laughs. Raptors get a top 7 pick in 2025. That would be a funny turn of events.

Problem being that next year’s team *should* be too good to get a top 7 pick in the following draft.
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#144 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 am

If Toronto kept their pick it's a great offseason if they gave it up its still a great move.

There's going to be some names that are going to help the rebuild. Buzelis!/Clingan/Castle/Holland/Knecht and a few others
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,721

Post#145 » by Ell Curry » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:Shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts around acquiring Vooch. He takes us in the opposite direction of where we need to be going as a team at the price of one of the best plug and play Cs in the league who's locked up on a reasonable deal and is pretty young as well.

I'm not opposed to dealing Poeltl and I still think Masai overpaid but if we're moving Poeltl, it's got to be for more than that. I think there's some sense to be made around moving him to Memphis but unless they're sending back #8, there isn’t anything to talk about (and even then still, the headache of having to backfill that starting C position might not be worth it if the goal is to be competitive next season). If Memphis is willing, I might consider something around #8, Clarke & Kennard for Poeltl but that gets complicated since Memphis is just under the tax and we'd still need a C.

One option is to include a 3rd team. The Magic have Bitadze, Wagner and Carter and don't need all 3. Maybe something can be worked out but a lot of it would depend on who's on the board at #8.

Like I said, probably just easier to keep him.

Vince Williams Jr would be interesting in a Poeltl deal (With Clarke or Kennard and either Rose, Zaire or Konchar's annoying deal to make up the money since they're in money trouble) too.

They probably wouldn't do it, but if they really believe in GG Jackson and there's a wing at #8 in the draft but no guard or center they like (seems probably enough looking at mocks), this gives them:

Morant-Smart-Bane-GGJackson-#8-JarenJackson-Aldama-Poeltl

as a top 7 and they find some passable backup PG to complete the rotation, or draft Reed Sheppard and just play an 8 man rotation something like this:

Poeltl 26 JJJ 22
JJJ 13 Aldama 22 GG 13
Bane 31 GG 17
Smart 30 Sheppard 10 Bane 4
Ja 34 Sheppard 14

which looks pretty sturdy.

You can also swap GG for VMW in the trade and then their rotation, but I don't think moving a kid who was gonna go top 5 in the draft had his struggles and seemed to find a home makes sense for Memphis or the team getting him.

And we'd get a tough wing on a great contract:

Olynyk
Barnes-Barrett-VMW-Dick
Quickley-

and obviously need to trade Brown for a big, draft a backup PG and a center and the tank is on for next year with young guys playing all the minutes apart from Olynyk, try to keep our 2025 pick.
Where's the D?
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,512

Post#146 » by bballsparkin » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:56 am

Kordic27 wrote:Problem being that next year’s team *should* be too good to get a top 7 pick in the following draft.

Most likely. I'd predict they would probably be in the teens.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,767

Post#147 » by MessiahUjiri » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:50 am

Kordic27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

Problem being that next year’s team *should* be too good to get a top 7 pick in the following draft.

If this kind of thing went down (and it does seem realistic), It would be kinda cool to see what we get at #8.

With Poeltl out, we would be bad enough again to have a 7-10 pick next year. It would suck as an impatient fan to lose a year of Scottie’s prime, but I think it’s a smart way to accumulate assets.

If we’re tanking for ‘25, we could probably trade away Brown and get a bad contract + assets. Fake contenders like Sacramento would love to trade Brown on their team.

imagine a deal like
#19, Bruce Brown
for
#13, Kevin Huerter, ‘25 POR 2nd
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,901

Post#148 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:10 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Honestly would be hilarious if this happened.

If this kind of thing went down (and it does seem realistic), It would be kinda cool to see what we get at #8.

With Poeltl out, we would be bad enough again to have a 7-10 pick next year. It would suck as an impatient fan to lose a year of Scottie’s prime, but I think it’s a smart way to accumulate assets.

If we’re tanking for ‘25, we could probably trade away Brown and get a bad contract + assets. Fake contenders like Sacramento would love to trade Brown on their team.

imagine a deal like
#19, Bruce Brown
for

Do we take Edey at 13 and deal Poetl or do we hope for one of Holland, Rissacher, Cody Williams, Reed Sheppard, Butelis or Topic there? Are we not devaluing Huerter vs. Brown?

I bet the deal would be:
#19, #31 and Brown
for
#13, Huerter, 2025 2nd.

That would be a smart deal whether we land the lotto pick or not. Since we will hit the free agent market having #13 (pick your player) plus Huerter would be a more than OK draft result esp.in lieu of conveying.

Would I take a 20 minute per night Edey at 13? Yes. Would Masai-Bobby? Hard to say. Would Edey be unplayable say in the back half of 4rth quarters short term? Situationally I could see him inserted for short stints of boards crashing. He def has point forward ability for spot up perimeter looks like for Gradey or Quickley or RJ.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#149 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:

imagine a deal like
#19, Bruce Brown
for

Do we take Edey at 13 and deal Poetl or do we hope for one of Holland, Rissacher, Cody Williams, Reed Sheppard, Butelis or Topic there? Are we not devaluing Huerter vs. Brown?

I bet the deal would be:
#19, #31 and Brown
for
#13, Huerter, 2025 2nd.

That would be a smart deal whether we land the lotto pick or not. Since we will hit the free agent market having #13 (pick your player) plus Huerter would be a more than OK draft result esp.in lieu of conveying.

Would I take a 20 minute per night Edey at 13? Yes. Would Masai-Bobby? Hard to say. Would Edey be unplayable say in the back half of 4rth quarters short term? Situationally I could see him inserted for short stints of boards crashing. He def has point forward ability for spot up perimeter looks like for Gradey or Quickley or RJ.

I honestly can't see the point in taking on additional salary for lotto picks this year and definitely not for Edey. Especially when we already have Poeltl and there are other bigs we could grab at #19 like Ware for example. There really aren't many guys I personally believe have game altering potential in this draft so I'd think really hard before doing that.

Also depends on where our picks lands. I think if manage to keep our pick, then we probably don't need to look at doing something like this. Alternatively, I do think there could be a potential path to deal with Memphis that involves #8 coming back to us but that would likely revolve around Clingan's availability. He will likely be at the top of Memphis' board but if he's gone before #8, they might be open to a deal around Poeltl. Of course, pulling the trigger on deal like this means we're likely tanking next year as well though and I don't know if Masai wants to go down that route. Otherwise, replacing Poeltl isn't going to be as easy as we think.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,441

Post#150 » by Asif16 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:58 pm

Poetl to either Memphis or Oklahoma City in the off-season just makes too much sense.

If we can swing a deal for young players + picks for Poetl...and then sign Nic Claxton in free agency, that would be a A1 asset management for Masai
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,334

Post#151 » by JB7 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:05 pm

If the Raps end up with a top 4 pick in this draft, would you trade it along with contract filler (BB & resigned GTJ) to the Suns for KD?

I'm not suggesting any of the Raps core be traded (i.e. BBQ, Yak or Dick).
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,143

Post#152 » by billy_hoyle » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 pm

JB7 wrote:If the Raps end up with a top 4 pick in this draft, would you trade it along with contract filler (BB & resigned GTJ) to the Suns for KD?

No.

I'd like to see this scouting department have another shot at a top 4 pick. They did well last time.

We need to plan for 3 yrs from now... Not next year
Kordic27
Analyst
And1: 3,305

Post#153 » by Kordic27 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

JB7 wrote:If the Raps end up with a top 4 pick in this draft, would you trade it along with contract filler (BB & resigned GTJ) to the Suns for KD?

Naw - he's wrecked too many teams for it to not be at least partially his fault. And it doesn't get us much beyond what? 5th or 6th place, first round exit?
Trusted Ujiri Watcher
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,205

Post#154 » by YogurtProducer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:30 pm

Kordic27 wrote:

Naw - he's wrecked too many teams for it to not be at least partially his fault. And it doesn't get us much beyond what? 5th or 6th place, first round exit?

It would be short sighted for sure, but if you can get KD for a top 4 pick and salary filler I think you almost have to do it. His contract comes of the books the year Barnes needs an extension, and the fit of KD with our main guys right now would be seemleess. IT makes more sense to me to grab KD now than it did 2 summers ago.

IQ/RJ/Barnes/KD/Poeltl is a pretty damn good team that has shooting, defense, size, and playmaking. Reality is - no way you get KD for only top pick and salary filler however.

KD has not wrecked any teams. Brooklyn brought together 3 offense first players are were surprised it did not work out. Phoenix then did the exact same thing with lesse versions of the Brooklyn team.

When is the last time KD played on a team that had actual defensive pieces around him? Probably in Golden State.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,441

Post#155 » by Asif16 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm

I feel like we're a prime Deandre Hunter destination
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,166

Post#156 » by MiamiSPX » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:28 pm

Asif16 wrote:I feel like we're a prime Deandre Hunter destination

I strongly suspect that is how we are going to fill out that open 5th starter spot. With a distressed asset who is young enough, and has started enough on other teams....like Hunter, Huerter, possibly Patrick Williams (if Bulls don't match), etc.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,620

Post#157 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 pm

Hunter's a little underrated I think due to all the dysfunction in ATL.

Still only 26. He has very good size and he's a capable wing defender. Shot 38.5% from 3 this year on volume, with a TS close to 60. His contract is long, which is the biggest issue with him. 21M / 23M / 25M over the next 3 years isn't great value but also isn't terrible value if he repeats what he did this past season.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,778

Post#158 » by ArthurVandelay » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:46 pm

Problem with Hunter, who I like btw and don’t think his contract is absurd, is his knee. He is damaged goods at this point.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,462

Post#159 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:57 pm

If the Raps go the cap space route to sign a FA or two there will be some interesting names out there. No big stars, of course, but guys who could be decent rotation players, either as starters or in a bench role.

Some that could be interesting would be Tyus Jones, De'Anthony Melton, Caleb Martin, Kyle Anderson, etc.

Jones and Melton would be great backups to Quickley, who could also maybe share the floor with him in certain lineups. The only issue is that both of their current teams will also have cap space, and therefore maybe the inside track to resign them (Jones would also have a default starting role in Washington because the Wizards have such a weak roster).

Martin and Anderson could both be stop-gap 25 minute-type starters, who would give Gradey another year or two to continue his development coming off the bench (and both would help out the defence of the starting unit).

No idea what kind of salary Jones will command, and I expect he'd be the most expensive of the group. The others should be available for under $20 million/per though.
MoneyBall
Analyst
And1: 3,215

Post#160 » by MoneyBall » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

YogurtProducer wrote:
Kordic27 wrote:

It would be short sighted for sure, but if you can get KD for a top 4 pick and salary filler I think you almost have to do it. His contract comes of the books the year Barnes needs an extension, and the fit of KD with our main guys right now would be seemleess. IT makes more sense to me to grab KD now than it did 2 summers ago.

IQ/RJ/Barnes/KD/Poeltl is a pretty damn good team that has shooting, defense, size, and playmaking. Reality is - no way you get KD for only top pick and salary filler however.

KD has not wrecked any teams. Brooklyn brought together 3 offense first players are were surprised it did not work out. Phoenix then did the exact same thing with lesse versions of the Brooklyn team.

When is the last time KD played on a team that had actual defensive pieces around him? Probably in Golden State.

You'd trade Sarr for KD?

Return to Toronto Raptors