ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: 2023-24 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V3.0 

Post#121 » by Thaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am

If we want PWill it's going to have to be a bloated 3 year contract with a player option similar to what Fred got. We aren't a desired destination. The alternative would be to go after Wiggins and their 2026 1st with a signed and traded Trent Jr. RJ was considered a 'toxic' asset before he changed it around here and Wiggins may be similar. If we got Wiggins, 2026 1st, and Atlanta's 2 2nd rounders (2026 & 2028) I would strongly consider it. Wiggins has the shooting and size we need to shift Barrett back into being a SG.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#122 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 am

Zeno wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Zeno wrote:I see where you are coming from but I think every situation is different. Given where they stood previously with Fox devalued as an asset and continual trips to the lottery for two decades almost, they’ve made great progress re-establishing a foundation. In some ways they remind me of the Knicks except they don’t have the attraction of their market to continue building with. If they top out as a first round loser in the next two years after a period of 45 win basketball, they can rebuild with more patience next time. But to me, it there are some situations where teams need to just enjoy any success they can get. That isn’t to say that’s my opinion on a team that had a decade of winning and a championship in its recent past either.

All fair points.

As you said their circumstances dictated they just wanted to get to the playoffs. I see many posts around here with the same sentiment.

I want to see them build for greatness rather than being decent.

I don’t disagree with you though I think I’m a little less committed to a single pathway to getting there. To me just allow the young core to prove their worth or lack there of and react to that. Make sure any success they have is as a result of those you are building around. I’m not opposed to a rotation guy like Kelly but perhaps keeping Yak around but the winning if there is any needs to be a result of the younger guys proving their worth. If they add anyone over 26 that will actually play and that adding them is to improve the win total rather than accumulating more assets, I will be disappointed.

On that note PJ Washington is 25. Poetl arguably is the more valueable asset and I am a big Poetl fan but like you say if we push back towards a more Scottie younger timelime to a decent power forward who is 25 vs Poetl who is heading to 29 should or could we entertain a trade that brings PJ Washington to Toronto and sends Poetl to Dallas? We would be adding PJ to our less than impressive power forward contingent. If we had Clingan we could start: IQ, Barrett, Scottie, PJ, Clingan.that would certainly be a starting 5 you could judge on its own merits. We just have to make the 46 per cent chance work for us. We cannot trade Poetl if we have no credible replacement. As in nobody whatsoever.
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#123 » by ArthurVandelay » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:33 am

Key Off-season dates…mark your calendars accordingly

April 27
Deadline for early entrants to declare for the NBA draft (10:59 pm CT).
Note: For more information on draft-related dates and deadlines, check out our full breakdown.

May 11-12
NBA G League Elite Camp for draft prospects.

May 12
NBA draft lottery.

May 12-19
NBA draft combine.

May 29
Last day for early entrants to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain their NCAA eligibility (10:59 pm CT).

June 6
NBA Finals begin.

June 16
Deadline for all early entrants (including international players) to withdraw from the NBA draft (4:00 pm CT).

June 23
Latest possible end date for NBA Finals.

TBD (first day after NBA Finals)
Teams can begin negotiating with their own free agents.

June 26
Day one of NBA draft (first round)

June 27
Day two of NBA draft (second round)

June 29
Last day for decisions on player, team, and early termination options
Note: Certain contracts will require earlier decisions.
Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.

June 30
Last official day of the 2023/24 NBA league year.
Last day for players eligible for veteran extensions in 2023/24 to sign them.
Teams can begin negotiating with outside free agents (5:00 pm CT).

July 1
Official start of the 2024/25 NBA league year.
Moratorium period begins.
Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
Teams can begin signing players to one- or two-year minimum-salary contracts.
Teams can begin signing players to two-way contracts.
Teams can begin signing first-round picks to rookie scale contracts.
Teams can begin signing second-round picks using the second-round pick exception.
Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2025/26 on rookie scale contracts.

July 6
Moratorium period ends (11:01 am CT).
Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01 am CT).
The 24-hour period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins (11:01 am CT).

July 12-22
Las Vegas Summer League.

July 13
Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

July 27
Start of 2024 Olympics in Paris.

July 31
Players signed using the second-round pick exception begin to count against a team’s cap.

August 5
Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks.

August 10
Gold and bronze medal games at the Paris Olympics.

August 31
Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2024/25 salaries.

September 27
Training camps open for teams playing exhibition games outside North America.

October 1
Training camps open for the remaining teams.

October 19
Last day for players on fully non-guaranteed contracts to be waived and not count at all against a team’s 2024/25 cap. They must clear waivers before the first day of the regular season.

October 21
Last day of the 2024 offseason.
Roster limits decrease from 21 players to 18 (4:00 pm CT). Teams will be limited to carrying 15 players on standard contracts and three on two-way deals as of this deadline.
Last day for teams to sign a player to a rookie scale extension (5:00 pm CT).
Last day for teams to sign an extension-eligible veteran player with multiple seasons left on his contract to an extension. An extension-eligible veteran player on an expiring deal can still be extended after October 21.
Last day for teams to complete sign-and-trade deals.
Last day for teams to convert an Exhibit 10 contract into a two-way contract.

October 22
2024/25 regular season begins.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/04/key-2024-nba-offseason-dates-deadlines.html
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#124 » by Spida888 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:Key Off-season dates…mark your calendars accordingly

Spoiler:
April 27
Deadline for early entrants to declare for the NBA draft (10:59 pm CT).
Note: For more information on draft-related dates and deadlines, check out our full breakdown.

May 11-12
NBA G League Elite Camp for draft prospects.

May 12
NBA draft lottery.

May 12-19
NBA draft combine.

May 29
Last day for early entrants to withdraw from the NBA draft and retain their NCAA eligibility (10:59 pm CT).

June 6
NBA Finals begin.

June 16
Deadline for all early entrants (including international players) to withdraw from the NBA draft (4:00 pm CT).

June 23
Latest possible end date for NBA Finals.

TBD (first day after NBA Finals)
Teams can begin negotiating with their own free agents.

June 26
Day one of NBA draft (first round)

June 27
Day two of NBA draft (second round)

June 29
Last day for decisions on player, team, and early termination options
Note: Certain contracts will require earlier decisions.
Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.

June 30
Last official day of the 2023/24 NBA league year.
Last day for players eligible for veteran extensions in 2023/24 to sign them.
Teams can begin negotiating with outside free agents (5:00 pm CT).

July 1
Official start of the 2024/25 NBA league year.
Moratorium period begins.
Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.
Teams can begin signing players to one- or two-year minimum-salary contracts.
Teams can begin signing players to two-way contracts.
Teams can begin signing first-round picks to rookie scale contracts.
Teams can begin signing second-round picks using the second-round pick exception.
Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2025/26 on rookie scale contracts.

July 6
Moratorium period ends (11:01 am CT).
Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01 am CT).
The 24-hour period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins (11:01 am CT).

July 12-22
Las Vegas Summer League.

July 13
Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

July 27
Start of 2024 Olympics in Paris.

July 31
Players signed using the second-round pick exception begin to count against a team’s cap.

August 5
Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks.

August 10
Gold and bronze medal games at the Paris Olympics.

August 31
Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2024/25 salaries.

September 27
Training camps open for teams playing exhibition games outside North America.

October 1
Training camps open for the remaining teams.

October 19
Last day for players on fully non-guaranteed contracts to be waived and not count at all against a team’s 2024/25 cap. They must clear waivers before the first day of the regular season.

October 21
Last day of the 2024 offseason.
Roster limits decrease from 21 players to 18 (4:00 pm CT). Teams will be limited to carrying 15 players on standard contracts and three on two-way deals as of this deadline.
Last day for teams to sign a player to a rookie scale extension (5:00 pm CT).
Last day for teams to sign an extension-eligible veteran player with multiple seasons left on his contract to an extension. An extension-eligible veteran player on an expiring deal can still be extended after October 21.
Last day for teams to complete sign-and-trade deals.
Last day for teams to convert an Exhibit 10 contract into a two-way contract.

October 22
2024/25 regular season begins.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/04/key-2024-nba-offseason-dates-deadlines.html

The lottery on May 12th is the only day I'm marking on my calendar for now. Depending on how that goes, hopefully the draft on June 26th as well :D.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#125 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:15 am

Thaddy wrote:If we want PWill it's going to have to be a bloated 3 year contract with a player option similar to what Fred got. We aren't a desired destination. The alternative would be to go after Wiggins and their 2026 1st with a signed and traded Trent Jr. RJ was considered a 'toxic' asset before he changed it around here and Wiggins may be similar. If we got Wiggins, 2026 1st, and Atlanta's 2 2nd rounders (2026 & 2028) I would strongly consider it. Wiggins has the shooting and size we need to shift Barrett back into being a SG.

P-Will should be our primary target. Not sure what Chicago is doing but if his time there is up, I'd offer somewhere between $45M/3yrs - $80M/4yrs with flexibility on both the years and the money.

If we do keep the pick, I'd see if we can either:
A) trade the pick to the Spurs in exchange for relinquishing future protections
B) trade down for additional picks and assets in this draft and/or the next.

Really don't want to draft high in this one unless it's Sarr but if we have to, I'd probably swing for the fences on one of Holland or Williams. Other than that, take Carter at #17. If he's not available, take Collier, if he's not available, take Ware. Would also love to turn Brown into additional first in this range to grab another one of either Ware or Holmes. Also, if Memphis is willing to do Poeltl + Boucher for Kennard + Clarke + #8, I'd probably do that.

As for free agency - do not resign Trent. I like him but we have to pay Quickley this summer and Barnes the next. With Agbaji and Dick in the fold, it doesn't make sense to shell out what its going to take to retain Gary. Instead, we're gonna grab Lowry on the vets min and Hayward on the cheap as well unless you traded for Kennard earlier.

PG: Quickley/Lowry(Vet min)/Carter (#17)
SG: Barrett/Dick/Agbaji
SF: Williams/Holland (#6)/Hayward (part-MLE) (Keep Nwora if you don't land Holland)
PF: Barnes/Prince(part-MLE)/Holmes (#31)
C: Poeltl/Olynyk/Biyombo (Vet min)

Trade: Brown, Boucher, McDaniels (if you can). Use any of these guys and #31 if you have to in order to grab Holmes.

This team is still young, manageable contracts, solid prospects for the future and quality vets. Should have no problem making the playoffs.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,200

Post#126 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:32 am

Zeno wrote:If Bulls miss the playoff and get the #11 pick, I wonder if Bruce Brown and the Indy pick for Lonzo's expiring and #11 makes sense for both teams.

Isn't Lonzo's contract covered if he's medically deemed not to play next year? I remember reading that the Bulls would only have to pay 20% of it. Why would they drop 7 spots just to try to waive Brown?
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#127 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:36 am

Psubs wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Psubs wrote:What about Agbaji for Norman Powell?

Clippers save so much money as they they will have to pay Harden. The $14-15 million difference is salary is worth a late 1st pick. Heck we got a 1st pick from New Orleans from taking back Kira Lewis, though Lewis was barely GLeague level expiring.

Raptors could use Powell's offense off the bench.
I don't see it for The Clippers. Steve Balmer is stupid rich and he is willing to pay for a very good team. They locked Kawhi up next is George. Powell is the odds on favorite to win 6th man. Why trade him for a guy who is obviously very raw and doesn't fit their timeline?

They have to pay Harden too. Also with the savings, would be more inclined to use the MLE.

What about Agbaji and Boucher for Deandre Hunter with his contract?

No to De'Andre Hunter and his deal. He can't stay healthy and unless Toronto is letting GTJ walk and plans to play RJ at the SG I don't see the need to get Hunter
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,861

Post#128 » by Zeno » Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:40 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Zeno wrote:If Bulls miss the playoff and get the #11 pick, I wonder if Bruce Brown and the Indy pick for Lonzo's expiring and #11 makes sense for both teams.

Isn't Lonzo's contract covered if he's medically deemed not to play next year? I remember reading that the Bulls would only have to pay 20% of it. Why would they drop 7 spots just to try to waive Brown?

Not to waive him. They might want an actual player for that money instead of an accounting entry since they seem really attached to making the play-in.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#129 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:24 am

Zeno wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:

Not to waive him. They might want an actual player for that money instead of an accounting entry since they seem really attached to making the play-in.
Don't see it, Chicago isn't a playoff team they can't afford, DeRozan, Colby White, LaVine and Patrick Williams plus Vooch you're going to have to move on from one of DeMar DeRozan or Zach LaVine. I think Williams, White plus #11 and what they could get for LaVine is reset they should be going
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,793

Post#130 » by Michael Jordan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm

Can't believe I'm saying this but the Raps have to use the Knicks as a model on roster construction. Toronto can't lure superstars in free agency so the next best thing is to build a deep well-balanced group.

Brunson and Randle aren't among the top 10 players in the league but OG, Donte, and Hart are elite role players.
Now they're on track to beat a top-heavy Philly team without even needing Randle.

I think the Raps can replicate this by building onto Barnes, Quickley, and RJ.
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 208

Post#131 » by RoteSchroder » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 pm

iHart should be a major target in the off-season, I’m not sure if Masai will give up on Poeltl though
grant101
Pro Prospect
And1: 555

Post#132 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:37 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this but the Raps have to use the Knicks as a model on roster construction. Toronto can't lure superstars in free agency so the next best thing is to build a deep well-balanced group.

Brunson and Randle aren't among the top 10 players in the league but OG, Donte, and Hart are elite role players.
Now they're on track to beat a top-heavy Philly team without even needing Randle.

This is exactly what the Raptors did pre-Kawhi. Fill the team with as many solid two-way players as possible though drafting and opportunistic trades then use the surplus to strike when a star becomes available
ArthurVandelay
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,775

Post#133 » by ArthurVandelay » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 pm

grant101 wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this but the Raps have to use the Knicks as a model on roster construction. Toronto can't lure superstars in free agency so the next best thing is to build a deep well-balanced group.

This is exactly what the Raptors did pre-Kawhi. Fill the team with as many solid two-way players as possible though drafting and opportunistic trades then use the surplus to strike when a star becomes available

Very true.

Problem is Raptors currently in a deficit and going to take years to return to that surplus.
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by grant101 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 pm

ArthurVandelay wrote:
grant101 wrote:

Very true.

Problem is Raptors currently in a deficit and going to take years to return to that surplus.

Maybe, but I think they're actually in better shape than when it all began with the Rudy Gay trade. We just got to hit on a few draft picks and be smart about trades and free agency. focus on hitting singles and doubles.

For instance, we could have easily outbid Minnesota on NAW last summer, (who was showing serious signs of breaking out) but chose to throw double the money @ Schroder. Which one do you think has more trade value, regardless of salary? I see a similar opportunity this year with a guy like Isaiah Joe.

Same goes for drafting. Since Pascal we continue to overthink it when it comes to later draft picks. Players like Norm, Delon, FVV (all upperclassmen ) were instrumental in building out our team. IMO there are several rotation players hiding in plain sight in this draft, we just gotta resist the urge to chase the shiny objects. Turning 19 and 31 into rotation players would be huge. Wasting it on projects like Salaun or Chomche (which I see many lobbying for) will simply waste roster spaces and prolong the rebuild. My opinion, at least.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,294

Post#135 » by brownbobcat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 am

What do people think of Gabe Vincent as a bounceback target to backup IQ? Assuming you can get him for basically nothing (e.g. Gabe + 2nd for Boucher).
grant101
Pro Prospect

Post#136 » by grant101 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:40 pm

brownbobcat wrote:What do people think of Gabe Vincent as a bounceback target to backup IQ? Assuming you can get him for basically nothing (e.g. Gabe + 2nd for Boucher).

I think we need more incentive to take on those extra years. I might do it if we can offload Jaden McDaniels as well. Maybe Boucher & Jaden to the Lakers, with Vincent, Maxwell Lewis and the LAC 2nd coming back?
Thaddy
Analyst

Post#137 » by Thaddy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:30 pm

Poeltl for Vucevic, 2027 top 3 protected (if not then 2028 unprotected).

If we convey the pick this year we should tank the following season. Vucevic is a stretch big and big body we could use off the bench. The picks become assets if we can compete earlier than anticipated.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,481

Post#138 » by mtcan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:56 pm

Thaddy wrote:Poeltl for Vucevic, 2027 top 3 protected (if not then 2028 unprotected).

If we convey the pick this year we should tank the following season. Vucevic is a stretch big and big body we could use off the bench. The picks become assets if we can compete earlier than anticipated.

Bulls **** up by trading for Vuc and giving up 2 lottery picks. They won't make the same mistake.
Thaddy
Analyst

Post#139 » by Thaddy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 am

mtcan wrote:
Thaddy wrote:Poeltl for Vucevic, 2027 top 3 protected (if not then 2028 unprotected).

Bulls **** up by trading for Vuc and giving up 2 lottery picks. They won't make the same mistake.

They will retain DeRozan and look to compete again. It's what their ownership wants.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,455

Post#140 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 am

Shouldn't even be entertaining thoughts around acquiring Vooch. He takes us in the opposite direction of where we need to be going as a team at the price of one of the best plug and play Cs in the league who's locked up on a reasonable deal and is pretty young as well.

I'm not opposed to dealing Poeltl and I still think Masai overpaid but if we're moving Poeltl, it's got to be for more than that. I think there's some sense to be made around moving him to Memphis but unless they're sending back #8, there isn’t anything to talk about (and even then still, the headache of having to backfill that starting C position might not be worth it if the goal is to be competitive next season). If Memphis is willing, I might consider something around #8, Clarke & Kennard for Poeltl but that gets complicated since Memphis is just under the tax and we'd still need a C.

One option is to include a 3rd team. The Magic have Bitadze, Wagner and Carter and don't need all 3. Maybe something can be worked out but a lot of it would depend on who's on the board at #8.

Like I said, probably just easier to keep him.

Return to Toronto Raptors