ImageImageImageImageImage

Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,292

Re: Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself 

Post#401 » by ciueli » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:25 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:
Dalek wrote:Gambling losses are the story of the Toronto Raptors lately:

We went from Fred VanVleet metaphorically "betting on himself" and getting paid career type money by the Rockets this past offseason, to gaining Jontay Porter who literally went and "bet on himself" and likely cost him his NBA career.

We thought we could get max value from Siakam and OG and ended up with zero prospects and a bunch of mediocre players.

Darko was probably the safest bet as a new coach, and even he got sued by the Knicks for stealing information.

This is a dark era and really the only way out of it is firing Masai and Bobby and starting over. There is no winning culture here.

I'm pissed that we got Jacob instead of starting the tank for Wemby. We had no business being buyers that year. We should have sold then.

Still it's tough to say there is no winning culture here. This front office won a Championship in 2019. Things have been considerably worse since Bobby's promotion but you can't say that a team that won a Championship in 2019 doesn't have Championship culture. As long as people from that team are here, we have Championship culture through them.

That's precisely why what we are experiencing now is so frustrating. We deserve better than this.

Yeah man, should've "tanked for Wemby". If only every other team had thought of the same thing, so easy!

And shame on Indy, Washington, Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, Dallas, Utah, Portland, Houston for not tanking hard enough despite missing the playoffs!

:lol:

It is funny, because last year there was only one team below 20 wins in the NBA (Detroit with 17) and the next worst teams had 22 wins (Spurs and Rockets), the fourth worst team had 27 wins. Everyone was talking about how it was league wide parity, a new NBA where there were no really bad teams.

This year there are currently 5 teams below 20 wins, 3 of which are virtually guaranteed to be below 20 by the end of the season (Pistons, Wizards, Spurs) and another team with a good chance to be (Hornets). And yet this is a season with no clear generational draft prospect like Wembanyama in 2023, in fact it's considered to be one of the weakest drafts in a decade. Why are there a bunch of horrible tanking teams this year, but weren't really any last year?
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,845

Post#402 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:10 pm

Dalek wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:
I'm pissed that we got Jacob instead of starting the tank for Wemby. We had no business being buyers that year. We should have sold then.

Still it's tough to say there is no winning culture here. This front office won a Championship in 2019. Things have been considerably worse since Bobby's promotion but you can't say that a team that won a Championship in 2019 doesn't have Championship culture. As long as people from that team are here, we have Championship culture through them.

That's precisely why what we are experiencing now is so frustrating. We deserve better than this.

Yeah man, should've "tanked for Wemby". If only every other team had thought of the same thing, so easy!

And shame on Indy, Washington, Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, Dallas, Utah, Portland, Houston for not tanking hard enough despite missing the playoffs!

Forget about tanking for Wemby, Toronto missed out on Cason Wallace who is going to be a great pro, as well as Anthony Black, the Thompson Twins and Jarace Walker and a number of those lotto picks. The sad part is we were out of the playoff picture prior to the trade deadline so we could have improved our position without having to invest in picks for Jakob. Wemby would have been franchise altering, but we could also have traded our guys earlier and got a much better return given that they had longer term deals then when we finally decided to cut bait.

Hey Dalek, your ability to know the past, the future and all alternate dimensions is staggering. Would you mind telling me all the upcoming sweet 16 results so i can play some long shots and pay off my mortgage? much appreciated. you da man.
MainEvent
Veteran
And1: 2,323

Post#403 » by MainEvent » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:18 pm

new bet against yourself culture, take all your unders :lol:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#404 » by Dalek » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:50 pm

lobosloboslobos wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:Yeah man, should've "tanked for Wemby". If only every other team had thought of the same thing, so easy!

Forget about tanking for Wemby, Toronto missed out on Cason Wallace who is going to be a great pro, as well as Anthony Black, the Thompson Twins and Jarace Walker and a number of those lotto picks. The sad part is we were out of the playoff picture prior to the trade deadline so we could have improved our position without having to invest in picks for Jakob. Wemby would have been franchise altering, but we could also have traded our guys earlier and got a much better return given that they had longer term deals then when we finally decided to cut bait.

Hey Dalek, your ability to know the past, the future and all alternate dimensions is staggering. Would you mind telling me all the upcoming sweet 16 results so i can play some long shots and pay off my mortgage? much appreciated. you da man.

Hey my bracket is currently in the 98.7% range in ESPN, so maybe I do know the future.

For prospects I hope you understand the concept of draft tiers. Basically we missed out on the top players by a couple picks. Maybe we got one of the top picks of the second tier of prospects, but I still think there is an obvious gap. Gradey is never going to be a two-way player and he is a tough sell as a starter. All the guys I consider ahead of Gradey are higher tier athletes who have strong two-way potential.

For trades, all I am saying is that trading guys on expiring deals is going to get you less in trades. That is just a fact. If we traded OG and Siakam in Feb 2023 we would have received more because team's would have valued the additional control with their contracts.

I don't want to go deep into any revisionist history, but I think the track record for this FO speaks for itself. If you like the shape of this current team, good for you. As Nick Nurse said: "good luck with those guys."
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#405 » by disoblige » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:54 pm

TheAlchemist23 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:Yep. I was surprised people in here were only talking about suspension vs ban. He's looking at a FBI investigation and possibly prison.

Well, the last time the NBA made it public so the FBI had to give up its investigation. I'm pretty sure they have done the same here and this news is straight from the NBA to Woj. He's under investigation by the NBA, not the FBI so far publicly.

So... I expect the NBA to bury this deep down and we never hear the full story.

His locker is cleared out and neither the NBA, Raptors or Porter has said why... because they told him to. But they don't even bother to say that.

Both games were in Toronto, Toronto police arent even looking at it.

"Toronto police and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport both said on Tuesday that they are not investigating Porter.

Canadian law enforcement is limited in its ability to prosecute bet fixing because there are no specific provisions in the Criminal Code that prevent it.

A CCES spokeswoman said that the non-profit watchdog, which enforces anti-doping policies in Canada among other integrity issues in sports, has no jurisdiction over competitive manipulation in the NBA, and Canada doesn't currently have a national program to address it."

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-raptors-news/toronto-police-canada-s-sport-watchdog-not-investigating-raptors-centre-over-gambling-1.6823036

This is provincial matters not municipal.

AGCO is responsible for regulating betting in the province including safeguarding against odds manipulation, match-fixing and other sports betting integrity issues.

A spokesman says AGCO is currently engaged with all relevant parties on the Porter investigation, including registered gaming operators, independent integrity monitors and the Ontario Provincial Police.

Since the Criminal Code of Canada prohibits cheating while playing a game or betting with intent to defraud someone, provincial police will determine if any criminal investigation is warranted.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#406 » by Dalek » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:01 pm

ciueli wrote:It is funny, because last year there was only one team below 20 wins in the NBA (Detroit with 17) and the next worst teams had 22 wins (Spurs and Rockets), the fourth worst team had 27 wins. Everyone was talking about how it was league wide parity, a new NBA where there were no really bad teams.

This year there are currently 5 teams below 20 wins, 3 of which are virtually guaranteed to be below 20 by the end of the season (Pistons, Wizards, Spurs) and another team with a good chance to be (Hornets). And yet this is a season with no clear generational draft prospect like Wembanyama in 2023, in fact it's considered to be one of the weakest drafts in a decade. Why are there a bunch of horrible tanking teams this year, but weren't really any last year?

It is a really good question about why there are so many terrible teams this year. I'd say the Blazers, Wizards and Raptors had the most player movement and coaching changes. That just takes time to sort out especially with new coaches. Blazers really blew up their roster.

I cannot figure out the Spurs, but likely Wemby being on minutes restrictions cost them a ton of games.

Hornets have had the injury bug and missing Lamelo like they have is a big setback. Memphis and its injuries also derailed the team.

The most puzzling team to me is the PIstons. They got a veteran coach and added strong vets like the Rockets and they just don't have any identity.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#407 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:01 pm

Dalek wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Hey my bracket is currently in the 98.7% range in ESPN, so maybe I do know the future.

For prospects I hope you understand the concept of draft tiers. Basically we missed out on the top players by a couple picks. Maybe we got one of the top picks of the second tier of prospects, but I still think there is an obvious gap. Gradey is never going to be a two-way player and he is a tough sell as a starter. All the guys I consider ahead of Gradey are higher tier athletes who have strong two-way potential.

For trades, all I am saying is that trading guys on expiring deals is going to get you less in trades. That is just a fact. If we traded OG and Siakam in Feb 2023 we would have received more because team's would have valued the additional control with their contracts.

I don't want to go deep into any revisionist history, but I think the track record for this FO speaks for itself. If you like the shape of this current team, good for you. As Nick Nurse said: "good luck with those guys."

Nurse was talking about the media, not the players.

Trades are also about which teams are actually able and willing to trade for your players. It isn't necessarily a given that Siakam and OG were worth more in actual, not theoretical, value last season.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
TheAlchemist23
Rookie
And1: 1,530

Post#408 » by TheAlchemist23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:14 pm

disoblige wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Well, the last time the NBA made it public so the FBI had to give up its investigation. I'm pretty sure they have done the same here and this news is straight from the NBA to Woj. He's under investigation by the NBA, not the FBI so far publicly.

So... I expect the NBA to bury this deep down and we never hear the full story.

His locker is cleared out and neither the NBA, Raptors or Porter has said why... because they told him to. But they don't even bother to say that.

Both games were in Toronto, Toronto police arent even looking at it.

"Toronto police and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport both said on Tuesday that they are not investigating Porter.

Canadian law enforcement is limited in its ability to prosecute bet fixing because there are no specific provisions in the Criminal Code that prevent it.

A CCES spokeswoman said that the non-profit watchdog, which enforces anti-doping policies in Canada among other integrity issues in sports, has no jurisdiction over competitive manipulation in the NBA, and Canada doesn't currently have a national program to address it."

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-raptors-news/toronto-police-canada-s-sport-watchdog-not-investigating-raptors-centre-over-gambling-1.6823036

This is provincial matters not municipal.

AGCO is responsible for regulating betting in the province including safeguarding against odds manipulation, match-fixing and other sports betting integrity issues.

A spokesman says AGCO is currently engaged with all relevant parties on the Porter investigation, including registered gaming operators, independent integrity monitors and the Ontario Provincial Police.

Since the Criminal Code of Canada prohibits cheating while playing a game or betting with intent to defraud someone, provincial police will determine if any criminal investigation is warranted.

Yeah the involvement of Ontario was just reported today. Just a matter of time before the American authorities enter the investigation if they haven't already.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#409 » by Dalek » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:23 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
Dalek wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:

Trades are also about which teams are actually able and willing to trade for your players. It isn't necessarily a given that Siakam and OG were worth more in actual, not theoretical, value last season.

I don't think being able to trade for Siakam or OG would have been an issue - cost wise they were reasonable, and any playoff aspirational team would be willing to have OG and Siakam because they are valued role players. What I am referring to is more contractual. Having a player for 1.5 seasons is much more optimal than getting him for 0.5 seasons. You get more runway with the player, plus they contribute more to playoff/title hopes over two seasons. That is why their value was higher in Feb 2023 compared to Dec 2023 and Jan 2024.

Toronto's bargaining position was much lower especially after Fred walked last offseason. Siakam and OG becoming flight risks finally became real which why I think they made the deals.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#410 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:56 pm

I am talking about actual value, not theoretical. That was my point. In a world where every team wanted to bid on them at the 23 deadline, sure, the contract status makes them worth more. But that isn’t the real world. Not every team was looking to trade for them last year. Was the Knicks deal available last season, for example? Not sure you could say it was.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,962

Post#411 » by Potential » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:25 pm

What i hate about betting being more popular is that you'll see random people you know that don't know a thing about sports that post slips and parlays like they know wtf they're doing.

There are already a bunch of idiots that are in athletes dms after their bets don't win. Hopefully betting doesn't get too popular to the point where lowlife / people with nothing to lose, or mentally ill people start betting and takes it even further than just messaging an athlete online
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,790

Post#412 » by Zeno » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:40 pm

Potential wrote:What i hate about betting being more popular is that you'll see random people you know that don't know a thing about sports that post slips and parlays like they know wtf they're doing.

There are already a bunch of idiots that are in athletes dms after their bets don't win. Hopefully betting doesn't get too popular to the point where lowlife / people with nothing to lose, or mentally ill people start betting and takes it even further than just messaging an athlete online

You know it will and they will maximize that revenue and when it has topped out they will move onto legalization and taxation of prostitution next.
But for the guy that throws hundreds at the lotto max etc weekly, sports gambling(even with zero knowledge) is actually less automatic of a loss, though no one to my knowledge goes after the guy who pulls the ping pong balls for the lottery draw.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,600

Post#413 » by dTox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 am

.Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
TBZ for the win
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#414 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

They should genuinely not investigate FVV for betting on himself for points/assists on these gambling platforms. Because he wouldn't even think about doing it.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
basketballto
Ballboy
And1: 30

Post#415 » by basketballto » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

Dalek wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
Dalek wrote:

We have enough Anthony Black archetype of players. We really needed three point shooting and movement and Gradey was the right pick. He's top 10 shooting %, tall, passes well. He will be a starter by year 3. One of the Thompson is being treated for blood clots now. Carson Wallace has weaker scoring stats compared to Gradey. He does steal a lot but we have a better point guard of the future.

It would be great to have all of those players but trading OG last year would have netted lower returns. I don't think the league valued Pascal at his contract amount. Pascal was signed at that amount to be the star but that didn't pan out so he became one of the stars but was still paid the max. The league was always negative on Pascal being the number one guy. Most Toronto fans slowly came to that conclusion.

The unluckiest teams are forced to max players who are better than average player but not superstars
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#416 » by Los_29 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

Dalek wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I don't think being able to trade for Siakam or OG would have been an issue - cost wise they were reasonable, and any playoff aspirational team would be willing to have OG and Siakam because they are valued role players. What I am referring to is more contractual. Having a player for 1.5 seasons is much more optimal than getting him for 0.5 seasons. You get more runway with the player, plus they contribute more to playoff/title hopes over two seasons. That is why their value was higher in Feb 2023 compared to Dec 2023 and Jan 2024.

Toronto's bargaining position was much lower especially after Fred walked last offseason. Siakam and OG becoming flight risks finally became real which why I think they made the deals.

The Knicks deal was reportedly not on the table last year. Contracts matter but the market is even more important. We likely could’ve got a bit more for Pascal but we wouldn’t have gotten as much for OG.

The only criticism was he shouldn’t have waited. But not waiting likely doesn’t get us RJ and IQ. So not sure how much better off we would be with more picks but no talented young players.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#417 » by DelAbbot » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

dTox wrote:.Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

You made me spray coffee thru my nose
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,658

Post#418 » by WaltFrazier » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#419 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:09 am

Not really a great defense to be honest.

"I know what you guys know," Michael Porter Jr. said. "I know Jontay loves the game of basketball. He's been really excited to play with the Raptors. So, I know just as much as you guys know at this point. I have known my brother my whole life. I know what type of dude he is. I know he's excited to play basketball and highly doubt that he would do anything to put that in jeopardy."
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#420 » by HangTime » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

Draymond Green got himself ejected. With only 3 Reb, and 1 ast.

Will they investigate that?

Return to Toronto Raptors