ImageImageImageImageImage

Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,330

Re: Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself 

Post#441 » by YogurtProducer » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:42 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
ArthurVandelay wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:I really don't understand why he's still on the roster at this point.

Due process

If you’re ever accused of anything, you’ll appreciate it.

Also, if rumours are true and he personally made 2 mil a month on bets then I am pulling for him as he used his bubble status to get a real payday. The league is to blame here as usual. As long as they allow betting he will not be the last incident. If he made like 10 mil I am in awe.

Wait what rumours are these?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#442 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:43 pm

In terms of real equivalencies? Raptors throw the season and Jontay throws games. Sounds like teamwork to me. Let's NBA!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#443 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:44 pm

Rumours? NBA Chev's youtube channel.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,079

Post#444 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:51 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:Rumours? NBA Chev's youtube channel.

Just listened to half of it, the guy just rants repetitively with no evidence. May well be right but doesn't back anything up
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,786

Post#445 » by nestea » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:15 am

When do we expect to hear a ruling
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,294

Post#446 » by mrdressup » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:39 am

nestea wrote:When do we expect to hear a ruling

It might just quietly go away with the team moving on from him. Despite what many people think you don't have to be found guilty of anything to be put to the curb. Who'd want that sort of betting culture within a team? It's a screw you type of behavior to be engaging in to begin with. I always thought we were combating video game culture with young players, but this is a step up that is much more nefarious if the behavior spreads. That's what humans do too--they mimetically train each other without even knowing it.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,294

Post#447 » by mrdressup » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am

Zeno wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:
Zeno wrote:I get where you are coming from but hypothetically, let’s say it comes out it was a Raptors trainer and their friends and family placing the bets and that all Jontay is guilty of is indicating he might not be able to play much if all in the coming game. Very doubtful in my mind but there are scenarios where he’s blameless, isn’t there, however unlikely seeming?

How can you prove that he didn't know? That's the problem here. Even if he did nothing, the optics are the optics.

The league can't rewind here.

If I am being suspended for life and the basis is pure optics and credible alternative exists than if I’m Jontay I am suing the league and likely winning reinstatement either through the courts or the PA filing a grievance.

And you' ll get nowhere, because most of your rights are to protect you from the government acting against you to deny you something. A private club can do what it wants with you, because it is just that--a club. If you are not wanted then there is no law to make anyone take you beyond a contract you have signed which entitles you to get paid. Conduct detrimental to the franchise is more than enough to get you sent home. No one will ever say to a team: you must take this player back into the fold. It's more tribal than some think. Think Trevor Bauer. He's not entitled to be taken in by anyone despite not being guilty of anything but being a loud mouth fool.
You can be doomed by the statistical unlikelihood of events in this case. Whose going to claim a moral victory for hanging on to a guy who does this if your reasoned opinion is that he's involved? A win for us is not to hang on to someone whose beaten the rap. If the authorities can show you how unlikely they are to be dealing with random outcomes here then that's all you need as a team to act. The numbers don't lie. If there's anything resembling a clear pattern then his fate his sealed.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,983

Post#448 » by refshateRaps » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:06 pm

This can never be prevented or policed. We'll likely see all these corrupt professional Leagues pick out 'fall guys' every couple seasons to make it look like they are cracking down on an problem that was never meant or cant be contained.

End of the day the NBA has been corrupt for decades even when you take a away the gambling aspect and people still watch it. The level of corruption and deception in pro sports is at an all time high. Whether Porter shaves stats or not is the least of the problems on this front.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,169

Post#449 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:10 pm

mrdressup wrote:
Zeno wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:How can you prove that he didn't know? That's the problem here. Even if he did nothing, the optics are the optics.

The league can't rewind here.

If I am being suspended for life and the basis is pure optics and credible alternative exists than if I’m Jontay I am suing the league and likely winning reinstatement either through the courts or the PA filing a grievance.

And you' ll get nowhere, because most of your rights are to protect you from the government acting against you to deny you something. A private club can do what it wants with you, because it is just that--a club. If you are not wanted then there is no law to make anyone take you beyond a contract you have signed which entitles you to get paid. Conduct detrimental to the franchise is more than enough to get you sent home. No one will ever say to a team: you must take this player back into the fold. It's more tribal than some think. Think Trevor Bauer. He's not entitled to be taken in by anyone despite not being guilty of anything but being a loud mouth fool.
You can be doomed by the statistical unlikelihood of events in this case. Whose going to claim a moral victory for hanging on to a guy who does this if your reasoned opinion is that he's involved? A win for us is not to hang on to someone whose beaten the rap. If the authorities can show you how unlikely they are to be dealing with random outcomes here then that's all you need as a team to act. The numbers don't lie. If there's anything resembling a clear pattern then his fate his sealed.

I agree, but it's telling that Miles Bridges is gonna get a fat contract to play next season. And Jontay will resume his crypto bro activities, or be in jail.
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#450 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:24 pm

What would have happened if draft Kings and these other legal sites had been around when Tim Donaghy was betting?
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,771

Post#451 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Thea league and the government are to blame tbh. This was done with Boxing before, we already know how this plays out. Gambling's pervasive and massively destructive. It attracts the wrong people.

Think about all the kids who watch these games and are inundated with this trash non-stop.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,809

Post#452 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:35 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:

Just listened to half of it, the guy just rants repetitively with no evidence. May well be right but doesn't back anything up

He's a very odd guy. He just laughs though a good part of his videos.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#453 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:39 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Thea league and the government are to blame tbh. This was done with Boxing before, we already know how this plays out. Gambling's pervasive and massively destructive. It attracts the wrong people.

Think about all the kids who watch these games and are inundated with this trash non-stop.

They'll all be gambling addicts who ask their doctors for Rybelsus® and have no idea why they're asking.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,771

Post#454 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:54 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Thea league and the government are to blame tbh. This was done with Boxing before, we already know how this plays out. Gambling's pervasive and massively destructive. It attracts the wrong people.

They'll all be gambling addicts who ask their doctors for Rybelsus® and have no idea why they're asking.

There are so many adds now that you have to ask, "is this kid safe". It's not a good long term strategy. I'm sure they make loads of money, but it'll kill the next generation of fans.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,660

Post#455 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:19 pm

Just take some Robitussin if you're addicted to gambling
WaltFrazier
RealGM

Post#456 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:41 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:

He's a very odd guy. He just laughs though a good part of his videos.

I got his point in the first minute, Jontay was in the NBA in position to make good money, he was crazy to risk throwing that away. Then he went on 15 more minutes saying the same point different ways. Plus where's the evidence of Jontay making money off bets?

Forgetting this YouTube guy, it will be interesting to see if Jontay gets accused in other games besides the two in question. It's one thing to leave games after a few minutes to make sure you meet the under. Much shadier if he was trying to influence games where he played regular minutes
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#457 » by Chandan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:04 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:

Is that what they do? I refused to look it up because I figured the refusing to tell me what they do in ads was to lure me into googling them.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,185

Post#458 » by Zeno » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:17 pm

Chandan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Is that what they do? I refused to look it up because I figured the refusing to tell me what they do in ads.

You aren’t allowed to advertise what prescription drugs do by law only the name and to ask your doctor about it. That is why we have all these identically stupid ads now.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Post#459 » by Chandan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:29 pm

Zeno wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

Is that what they do? I refused to look it up because I figured the refusing to tell me what they do in ads.

You aren’t allowed to advertise what prescription drugs do by law only the name and to ask your doctor about it. That is why we have all these identically stupid ads now.

It's so weird. Just don't let them air ads if there is some sort of ethical dilemma against it.
Dennis 37
RealGM

Post#460 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:55 pm

Zeno wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:

If I was your doctor and you asked me to prescribe a specific prescription, I would be asking you why you don't trust me to evaluate your symptoms and recommend treatment. I'd be wondering why you need a doctor at all."

On the other hand other companies should mock these ads.

For example when Tim Hortons brought back the Walnut Crunch.

Person A: I heard my cousin is having Walnut Crunches.

Person B: Many people are having Walnut Crunches, I was thinking of asking my coffee shop server if Walnut Crunches are right for me.

Person C: I have an appointment with my coffee shop server this afternoon, I am going to ask.
Maxpainmedia:

Return to Toronto Raptors