ImageImageImageImageImage

Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheAlchemist23
Rookie
And1: 1,530

Re: Porter under investigation for prop betting involving himself 

Post#381 » by TheAlchemist23 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:51 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
TheAlchemist23 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:I'm pretty sure it would be considered a crime as well, it's basically fraud.

Yep. I was surprised people in here were only talking about suspension vs ban. He's looking at a FBI investigation and possibly prison.

Well, the last time the NBA made it public so the FBI had to give up its investigation. I'm pretty sure they have done the same here and this news is straight from the NBA to Woj. He's under investigation by the NBA, not the FBI so far publicly.

So... I expect the NBA to bury this deep down and we never hear the full story.

His locker is cleared out and neither the NBA, Raptors or Porter has said why... because they told him to. But they don't even bother to say that.

Both games were in Toronto, Toronto police arent even looking at it.

"Toronto police and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport both said on Tuesday that they are not investigating Porter.

Canadian law enforcement is limited in its ability to prosecute bet fixing because there are no specific provisions in the Criminal Code that prevent it.

A CCES spokeswoman said that the non-profit watchdog, which enforces anti-doping policies in Canada among other integrity issues in sports, has no jurisdiction over competitive manipulation in the NBA, and Canada doesn't currently have a national program to address it."

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-raptors-news/toronto-police-canada-s-sport-watchdog-not-investigating-raptors-centre-over-gambling-1.6823036
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#382 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 am

Don't all nba players get some type of orientation into the pro game and proper behaviors and things to avoid. This should be mandatory... even their agents should be giving them this info... how does this happen?
SDM
RealGM
And1: 950

Post#383 » by SDM » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:05 am

Social media. It's had a tremendous negative effect on this generation of NBA players. This came from insecurity and a desire to be popular as much as greed.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#384 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pm

Can we get him an interpreter?
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#385 » by lolwut » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:02 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Can we get him an interpreter?

自分自身に賭ける
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#386 » by PushDaRock » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:41 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Don't all nba players get some type of orientation into the pro game and proper behaviors and things to avoid. This should be mandatory... even their agents should be giving them this info... how does this happen?

lol yeah I'm sure an agent just telling him not to do this would have prevented this situation from happening
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#387 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 pm

I still can't believe how stupid he was :lol:
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,287

Post#388 » by Scase » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:44 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:Don't all nba players get some type of orientation into the pro game and proper behaviors and things to avoid. This should be mandatory... even their agents should be giving them this info... how does this happen?

Money > logic.

This is like asking why anyone would ever commit any crime, people roll the dice and hope the reward outweighs the risk. Had he not been caught, he'd have made (presumably) a bunch of money without any repercussions.

I'm not condoning it, but you only hear about stupid criminals, the smart ones don't get caught.
Props TZ!
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#389 » by xAIRNESSx » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:51 pm

They probably don't communicate how statistical anomalies would get flagged like a player's prop bets being the biggest winner of the night combined with that player leaving early in those games.

His situation will definitely be used as an example moving forward.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#390 » by Yallbecrazy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:17 pm

"Bet on yourself"
- Fred Van Vleet
"Bet against yourself"
-Jontay Porter

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lpHLk2GMFK8?si=alcN1T-kiLlO5T6k&t=94[/youtube]
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#391 » by disoblige » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:25 pm

RoteSchroder wrote:
douggood wrote:
Dalek wrote:I mean the fact that from coaches to players couldn't tell this guy was tanking his performance tells you a lot about this team.

he said he was injured couldn't play, so now the coaches also have to be trainers and judge players health and force them to play if they think they are healthy.

Porter: "I got a tummy ache"

Darko: "ok, take the rest of the game off"

Porter: "lol, no I'm actually fine u turd, I'm faking it so that I can win some gambling money. I can't believe you couldn't tell. This entire team and coaching staff are full of low IQ losers! They couldn't even tell that my bowel movements are healthy!"

Im sure he was being criticize after every game based on his previous interviews. This was his FU to the coaching staff.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 793

Post#392 » by disoblige » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:27 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Has anyone found video of the “eye injury”?

Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#393 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm

raincityraptors wrote:
Dalek wrote:Gambling losses are the story of the Toronto Raptors lately:

We went from Fred VanVleet metaphorically "betting on himself" and getting paid career type money by the Rockets this past offseason, to gaining Jontay Porter who literally went and "bet on himself" and likely cost him his NBA career.

We thought we could get max value from Siakam and OG and ended up with zero prospects and a bunch of mediocre players.

Darko was probably the safest bet as a new coach, and even he got sued by the Knicks for stealing information.

This is a dark era and really the only way out of it is firing Masai and Bobby and starting over. There is no winning culture here.

I'm pissed that we got Jacob instead of starting the tank for Wemby. We had no business being buyers that year. We should have sold then.

Still it's tough to say there is no winning culture here. This front office won a Championship in 2019. Things have been considerably worse since Bobby's promotion but you can't say that a team that won a Championship in 2019 doesn't have Championship culture. As long as people from that team are here, we have Championship culture through them.

That's precisely why what we are experiencing now is so frustrating. We deserve better than this.

Yeah man, should've "tanked for Wemby". If only every other team had thought of the same thing, so easy!

And shame on Indy, Washington, Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, Dallas, Utah, Portland, Houston for not tanking hard enough despite missing the playoffs!

:lol:
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#394 » by DelAbbot » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:38 pm

TimeForChange wrote:.

This is all your fault Baaabi

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#395 » by Dalek » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:

We went from Fred VanVleet metaphorically "betting on himself" and getting paid career type money by the Rockets this past offseason, to gaining Jontay Porter who literally went and "bet on himself" and likely cost him his NBA career.

We thought we could get max value from Siakam and OG and ended up with zero prospects and a bunch of mediocre players.

Darko was probably the safest bet as a new coach, and even he got sued by the Knicks for stealing information.

This is a dark era and really the only way out of it is firing Masai and Bobby and starting over. There is no winning culture here.

I'm pissed that we got Jacob instead of starting the tank for Wemby. We had no business being buyers that year. We should have sold then.

Still it's tough to say there is no winning culture here. This front office won a Championship in 2019. Things have been considerably worse since Bobby's promotion but you can't say that a team that won a Championship in 2019 doesn't have Championship culture. As long as people from that team are here, we have Championship culture through them.

That's precisely why what we are experiencing now is so frustrating. We deserve better than this.

Yeah man, should've "tanked for Wemby". If only every other team had thought of the same thing, so easy!

And shame on Indy, Washington, Orlando, Charlotte, Detroit, Dallas, Utah, Portland, Houston for not tanking hard enough despite missing the playoffs!

Forget about tanking for Wemby, Toronto missed out on Cason Wallace who is going to be a great pro, as well as Anthony Black, the Thompson Twins and Jarace Walker and a number of those lotto picks. The sad part is we were out of the playoff picture prior to the trade deadline so we could have improved our position without having to invest in picks for Jakob. Wemby would have been franchise altering, but we could also have traded our guys earlier and got a much better return given that they had longer term deals then when we finally decided to cut bait.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#396 » by tecumseh18 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:59 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:

Wemby's a hell of a player (I saw in person a month ago where he blocked 10 of our shots). But he's just one guy. Who else from that draft was worth surrendering last season for?

2021 was an easy year to tank because there was so much talent at the top end. It was being compared to 2003 at the time. The chances of landing #1, even for the team with the worst record, are pretty small. But when there's talent like Cade, Green, Evan, Scottie, Suggs, Wagner, Sengun, JJ, then it's worth it. Raps were high on Giddey, and sometimes he has looked like a real player (especially with the teens).

2023 definitely did NOT have that same quantity of quality in the draft. Wemby's main competitor for ROY was drafted in 2022. So while I would have pulled the plug last year at the deadline (in retrospect getting that Hawkeye guy and a pick for Fred looks pretty good), I don't blame Masai for wanting to try to win with the Core Four plus Poeltl.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#397 » by Badonkadonk » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:04 pm

Dalek wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:

Forget about tanking for Wemby, Toronto missed out on Cason Wallace who is going to be a great pro, as well as Anthony Black, the Thompson Twins and Jarace Walker and a number of those lotto picks. The sad part is we were out of the playoff picture prior to the trade deadline so we could have improved our position without having to invest in picks for Jakob. Wemby would have been franchise altering, but we could also have traded our guys earlier and got a much better return given that they had longer term deals then when we finally decided to cut bait.

There was precisely one generational talent last year. I think Cason looks great, I like Amen too, but I'm also happy the team landed arguably the best shooter from the draft at 14, which is later than what most mocks had him.

And that's kind of the point - so many variables. The only thing that hunting losses guarantees is exactly that, losses, and climbing out of that pit smoothly is also not guaranteed (Pistons lol). This is especially true if the people who were desperate to be as bad as possible really think the front office is as useless as they claim.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#398 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:08 pm

raincityraptors wrote:

Excuse me? Bobby was named GM in June 2017.

Feel free to explain how things were better pre June 2017 than after.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#399 » by goinrogue » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:10 pm

Scase wrote:

Money > logic.

This is like asking why anyone would ever commit any crime, people roll the dice and hope the reward outweighs the risk. Had he not been caught, he'd have made (presumably) a bunch of money without any repercussions.

I'm not condoning it, but you only hear about stupid criminals, the smart ones don't get caught.

Yep, plus narcissists tend to think they are the smartest person in the room and can get away with it. They think they won’t get caught cause they’re too smart.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#400 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:20 pm

NCAA is pushing states to ban prop bets on their players. They're citing "player safety" but obviously a college player is much easier to manipulate to fix lines than an NBA player and I'm sure that's top of mind for them.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors