ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: F Us

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,574

Re: PG: F Us 

Post#81 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:10 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
720 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Yeah I was watching the NCAA tournament the other day and there was this guy Reed Sheppard who was having a great game. The broadcasters were talking him up. But watching him, you could just tell he has NBA role player written all over him. I go over to some mock drafts and see this same dude being mocked as a top 5-10 guy in the draft and I immediately knew this draft was actually trash if a guy who woulda got picked 25-35 last year is being mocked top 5 in this draft. In that same game, I watched another guy who was mocked as a lottery pick, Rob Dillingham, struggle to create any sort of advantages on offence. Ultimately, these two lottery picks lost to a bunch of no named guys from a college that hadn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament since the 1990s. That’s the kind of draft this is.

The play was to start tanking in the Chet year or the Wemby year. But this franchise has been slow to react to things post championship. At least they’re finally rebuilding. Even if the situation isn’t perfect.

Definitely shoulda tanked for Wemby.

How is that a valid excuse for some ppl, or it even being realistically plausible. We could've done everything ya'all wanted and still end up with with Anthony Black or one of the thompson twins lol.

This is what losing looks like, and ya'll can barely get thru the end of this szn & ya'all are advocating for tanking the entire of last szn too, lol. Less than a dozen games left guys

In Raptor Ball I Trust
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,650

Post#82 » by C_Money » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:06 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
shmoosicle wrote:
720 wrote:We started too late. We could been up there with the worst of em had we tanked a tad bit earlier.

Honestly though why do people care, I haven't heard anyone that's excited for this draft but some fans here are mad we haven't been tanking all season to hopefully go up 1-2 spots.

Yeah I was watching the NCAA tournament the other day and there was this guy Reed Sheppard who was having a great game. The broadcasters were talking him up. But watching him, you could just tell he has NBA role player written all over him. I go over to some mock drafts and see this same dude being mocked as a top 5-10 guy in the draft and I immediately knew this draft was actually trash if a guy who woulda got picked 25-35 last year is being mocked top 5 in this draft. In that same game, I watched another guy who was mocked as a lottery pick, Rob Dillingham, struggle to create any sort of advantages on offence. Ultimately, these two lottery picks lost to a bunch of no named guys from a college that hadn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament since the 1990s. That’s the kind of draft this is.

This is why the mock drafts confuse the hell out of me every year. I bet there’s a couple guys projected to go in the 20’s who can score the lights out of the ball like Quickley. But for some reason they’re ranked below these limited role players.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#83 » by Scase » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:55 pm

ConSarnit wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
How is this a dose of reality for tank nation? Tank nation was the one arguing that the Poeltl trade was a mistake from the get go and now it might cost us a top 10 pick. All for a “win-now” center who at the current pace is going to help us miss the playoffs 3 years in a row (yes, I’m including next year).

The Poeltl trade is the prime argument against win now moves for rotation players when you haven’t even gotten the core figured out.

It absolutely mind boggling people are still defending the Poeltl trade in both process and especially result (which is about the worst it could have possibly gone).

I just mean, given today's circumstances, conveying 2024 pick is better than keeping it

I would agree with that position but that’s because I am not high on this teams ceiling next year and it’s better to give up 7 this year than to have to give up 9 (and a small chance to move into the top 4) next year in a better draft. To those still claiming the Poeltl move was good, well, they’ve lost the plot.

Except the most likely result is that we lose this pick, and Masai starts making some win now moves because the BBQ core looked good for like 15 games, we push for the play in, and draft 14th next year.
Props TZ!
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,650

Post#84 » by C_Money » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:34 pm

Scase wrote:
ConSarnit wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
I just mean, given today's circumstances, conveying 2024 pick is better than keeping it

I would agree with that position but that’s because I am not high on this teams ceiling next year and it’s better to give up 7 this year than to have to give up 9 (and a small chance to move into the top 4) next year in a better draft. To those still claiming the Poeltl move was good, well, they’ve lost the plot.

Except the most likely result is that we lose this pick, and Masai starts making some win now moves because the BBQ core looked good for like 15 games, we push for the play in, and draft 14th next year.

Yeah I have a feeling this is a 1 year tank job only. The question is how do they get us back to contender status after this? Or do we end up like the Chicago Bulls going nowhere.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#85 » by mowcrowbar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:37 am

Good L. But I think as of right now, our active roster might be the worst in NBA history.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#86 » by Thaddy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:27 am

We won't be able to tank next season. Barnes will be better and Barrett and IQ will be better. They will have a full training camp and summer to learn how to play together. Then Dick is going to adjust to the conditioning needed for this level.

I'd tank hard and go for guard talent (Sheppard), a stretch big (PJ Hall), and a project big (Ivisic).

Poeltl - Olynyk - Ivisic
Barnes - Hall
Barrett - Agbaji
Dick - Brown
IQ - Sheppard

I would replace Trent with Sheppard. The additional passing talent will eventually exceed Trent's production.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,701

Post#87 » by binjumper » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 am

BillNyeBballGuy wrote:Just thought about this....Good chance we go on a franchise long losing streak and lose 21 games in a row to close the season. If we don't get lucky in the lottery and lose the pick that would be devestating for the fans. I hope they strongly consider firing Masai and Bobby if that scenario plays out

You want to fire a guy with a proven track record because of a ping pong ball? :o
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,167

Post#88 » by HiJiNX » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:55 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
720 wrote:The play was to start tanking in the Chet year or the Wemby year. But this franchise has been slow to react to things post championship. At least they’re finally rebuilding. Even if the situation isn’t perfect.

Definitely shoulda tanked for Wemby.

How is that a valid excuse for some ppl, or it even being realistically plausible. We could've done everything ya'all wanted and still end up with with Anthony Black or one of the thompson twins lol.

This is what losing looks like, and ya'll can barely get thru the end of this szn & ya'all are advocating for tanking the entire of last szn too, lol. Less than a dozen games left guys

To be fair, I felt this way last season, too. I’m fine with the losing this year as I understand the long term goal. But when you have a talent of Wemby’s generational rarity, and your team doesn’t have a high ceiling, and you’re waffling on whether you wanna pay Siakam and Fred is noncommittal, you gotta tank and hope that the ping pong balls bounce in your favour. Wemby has best all time potential. That’s worth sacrificing a season for, imo.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#89 » by HiJiNX » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:58 am

C_Money wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
shmoosicle wrote:Honestly though why do people care, I haven't heard anyone that's excited for this draft but some fans here are mad we haven't been tanking all season to hopefully go up 1-2 spots.

Yeah I was watching the NCAA tournament the other day and there was this guy Reed Sheppard who was having a great game. The broadcasters were talking him up. But watching him, you could just tell he has NBA role player written all over him. I go over to some mock drafts and see this same dude being mocked as a top 5-10 guy in the draft and I immediately knew this draft was actually trash if a guy who woulda got picked 25-35 last year is being mocked top 5 in this draft. In that same game, I watched another guy who was mocked as a lottery pick, Rob Dillingham, struggle to create any sort of advantages on offence. Ultimately, these two lottery picks lost to a bunch of no named guys from a college that hadn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament since the 1990s. That’s the kind of draft this is.

This is why the mock drafts confuse the hell out of me every year. I bet there’s a couple guys projected to go in the 20’s who can score the lights out of the ball like Quickley. But for some reason they’re ranked below these limited role players.

Absolutely. I don’t really use mocks to form my opinion on players. That’s why I was never high on Cade, Mobley, and Suggs. I think each will be fine players but I’m very happy with the guy we got.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,890

Post#90 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:45 am

Trading allatar Pascal for a bag of chips .... not surprised we are a trash bottom 6 team now... dont expect much better next year as we are still lottery quality...
Scase
RealGM

Post#91 » by Scase » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:07 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Definitely shoulda tanked for Wemby.

To be fair, I felt this way last season, too. I’m fine with the losing this year as I understand the long term goal. But when you have a talent of Wemby’s generational rarity, and your team doesn’t have a high ceiling, and you’re waffling on whether you wanna pay Siakam and Fred is noncommittal, you gotta tank and hope that the ping pong balls bounce in your favour. Wemby has best all time potential. That’s worth sacrificing a season for, imo.

Yeah but, compare something as minor as getting Wemby, with something as huge as play in experience.
Props TZ!
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,829

Post#92 » by Los_29 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:47 pm

While I also think we should’ve done a stealth tank last year, you have to ask yourself why more teams didn’t tank for Wemby? Jazz, Magic, Thunder, Bulls, Pacers, Pelicans and many others chose not to tank hard for Wemby. Even the Pistons wanted to win last year but they just stunk. Seeing the players other than Wemby you can understand why. Tanking hard to only end up with a guy like Scoot or the Thompson twins would be pretty demoralizing. You can see why many teams chose to push for a playoff spot.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#93 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:51 pm

Los_29 wrote:Tanking hard to only end up with a guy like Scoot or the Thompson twins would be pretty demoralizing.

now imagine a team choosing to tank this year only to end up with a cody williams or matas buzelis and still owe your first round pick next year to the spurs
Scase
RealGM

Post#94 » by Scase » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Los_29 wrote:Tanking hard to only end up with a guy like Scoot or the Thompson twins would be pretty demoralizing.

now imagine a team choosing to tank this year only to end up with a cody williams or matas buzelis and still owe your first round pick next year to the spurs

No team would ever do that, that's just stupid.
Props TZ!
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm

Scase wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

Yeah but, compare something as minor as getting Wemby, with something as huge as play in experience.

some people will go to the ends of the earth defending this FO :lol:

did they make the right decision in the 2010's? yes

have they made terrible decisions since winning the championship? yes
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:04 pm

HiJiNX wrote:
C_Money wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:Yeah I was watching the NCAA tournament the other day and there was this guy Reed Sheppard who was having a great game. The broadcasters were talking him up. But watching him, you could just tell he has NBA role player written all over him. I go over to some mock drafts and see this same dude being mocked as a top 5-10 guy in the draft and I immediately knew this draft was actually trash if a guy who woulda got picked 25-35 last year is being mocked top 5 in this draft. In that same game, I watched another guy who was mocked as a lottery pick, Rob Dillingham, struggle to create any sort of advantages on offence. Ultimately, these two lottery picks lost to a bunch of no named guys from a college that hadn’t won a game in the NCAA tournament since the 1990s. That’s the kind of draft this is.

That’s why I was never high on Cade, Mobley, and Suggs.

that's some unicorn stuff right there. great job seeing what very few people could see.

I wish we could find your posts from 2019, before the draft, and see who you were high on in that draft. i would love to see your pre-draft analysis.
TimeForChange
Sixth Man

Post#97 » by TimeForChange » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:05 pm

there were maybe 5 people on here high on scottie. everyone else was pro-suggs and mobley.

this revisionist history is hilarious :lol:
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#98 » by HiJiNX » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:12 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
C_Money wrote:This is why the mock drafts confuse the hell out of me every year. I bet there’s a couple guys projected to go in the 20’s who can score the lights out of the ball like Quickley. But for some reason they’re ranked below these limited role players.

That’s why I was never high on Cade, Mobley, and Suggs.

that's some unicorn stuff right there. great job seeing what very few people could see.

I wish we could find your posts from 2019, before the draft, and see who you were high on in that draft. i would love to see your pre-draft analysis.

Hahaha well to be fair I thought Jalen Green was the can’t miss guy in that draft. He is coming on a bit, though. I wonder how much the environment with Kevin Porter Jr and those types impacted his development.

As for Cade, I just didn’t think he was quick enough or explosive enough to be a franchise player as a wing. I still predicted a handful of all star appearances I believe.

For Mobley, I thought he had crazy defensive potential but only average on offence. Now I think he has the tools to be an amazing offensive player but not the mentality. I remember watching him in the tournament and in the game they were eliminated I noticed how passive he was offensively even though his team needed him and he was clearly the best player on the floor.

With Suggs…he couldn’t shoot, couldn’t operate the pnr and struggled to finish at the rim. I thought he’d be a dog on defence though. I’m glad to see him improve his shooting and finishing though but he still isn’t a great lead guy as a creator.

Anyway as best as I can remember, that’s what I was thinking at the time. I didn’t really have much opinion on Barnes though cuz I didn’t know much about him but I was intrigued by his physical tools and winning mentality.
Scase
RealGM

Post#99 » by Scase » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:20 pm

TimeForChange wrote:there were maybe 5 people on here high on scottie. everyone else was pro-suggs and mobley.

I will happily say I was pro suggs, but it was more for a positional need. Which TBF, you should never do, so I was wrong either way :lol:

Scottie was a stellar pick, can't argue that at all. That said, Suggs is exactly what this team needs now. Top 5 guard defender and shooting 40% from 3. Definitely not for the 5th pick, but he has perennial All Defence potential to him, aside from Wagner, Sengun, and (only recently) Kuminga, there isn't anyone after him I think I would have picked instead.

Full disclosure he looked like hot garbage until this year, but same can be said for kuminga.
Props TZ!
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,685

Post#100 » by Vampirate » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:28 pm

Scase wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:there were maybe 5 people on here high on scottie. everyone else was pro-suggs and mobley.

I will happily say I was pro suggs, but it was more for a positional need. Which TBF, you should never do, so I was wrong either way :lol:

Scottie was a stellar pick, can't argue that at all. That said, Suggs is exactly what this team needs now. Top 5 guard defender and shooting 40% from 3. Definitely not for the 5th pick, but he has perennial All Defence potential to him, aside from Wagner, Sengun, and (only recently) Kuminga, there isn't anyone after him I think I would have picked instead.

Full disclosure he looked like hot garbage until this year, but same can be said for kuminga.

Kuminga had outlier physical + athletic gifts, more than pretty much every player in the draft. He should have been picked higher, easily over Jalen Green who lacks the tools to truly dominate.

He has pretty much the optimal combination of size + burst and really should have been picked higher. Only Wemby and Paolo really outshine him in the Tools + Athleticism department.

Return to Toronto Raptors