ImageImageImageImageImage

How does the rules for our San Antonio pick work?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,685

Re: How does the rules for our San Antonio pick work? 

Post#41 » by Vampirate » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

Ssj16 wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:If our pick this year falls to 6 or less we get to keep it but in the scenario where it falls to 7 or higher and San Antonio keeps it, do our choice for their pick get deferred to next year?

Our draft pick is only top 6 protected for 2024, 2025 and 2026. If it doesn't convey it becomes 2 second round picks in the following draft. Essentially depending on the lottery we could keep our pick this year and next year's draft we'd be in the same position until the pick conveys to the Spurs or becomes 2 seconds.

So does this mean until we a top 6 pick between 2024-2026, we will get second round picks?

Also wouldn't it be beneficial for the Raptors to get a top 6 pick in 2025 or 2026, since this draft is supposed to be weak?

The issue is you're assuming we'll be this bad next year.

It took 4/5 starters out of our lineup to get this losing streak going. Had Barnes not gotten injured we'd be closer to the playin (not saying in the playin, but likely around the Nets record, maybe slightly above or below.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,728

Post#42 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

If they still own our pick next year, we wont be .500
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#43 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

TimeForChange wrote:There's people in this thread that had no idea what the terms to the trade were and still defended the trade :lol:

JFC

Do people still defend the trade? Haven't seen such comments in a very long time.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
SpezNc
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#44 » by SpezNc » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:There's people in this thread that had no idea what the terms to the trade were and still defended the trade :lol:

JFC

Do people still defend the trade? Haven't seen such comments in a very long time.

Indeed I haven’t seen many comments of people really in favour of that trade.

I was unhappy when it was announced and even more when the protection were discloses.

That is said even if I disagree with the direction taken by management, they went the absolute different way then what i wanted, objectively there is a rationale for doing that trade:

-Players and coaching staff wanted a center
-the core was including all star FVV, Siakam, DPOY candidate in OG and ROTY in Barnes
- despite the difficult season they were coming off a 48 win season
- the FO didn’t like this draft and assume it would be a middle 1st round pick. They didn’t mind giving up the pick
-the light protection were probably due because FO probably didn’t want to give pick 2023 and because our record was bad at time of trade, spurs wanted to makes sure the pick convey

Despite all of the above, the balance of pros and cons should have been to stay away of the trade.

But i could see why the FO wanted this trade.

The exact limbo situation we are in is why i don’t like to trade future 1st pick. Don’t trade a pick you don’t know the value. Recipe to backfire.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#45 » by mrsocko » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

ontnut wrote:
Scase wrote:
ontnut wrote:This is oddly specific.

Don't kink shame.

What about that was shaming?

What if my kink was kink shaming? Would that make you shaming my kink shaming kink?

You guys are a bunch of jive turkey gobblers!
Dick expectation level 0/5
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#46 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

ontnut wrote:
Scase wrote:
ontnut wrote:This is oddly specific.

Don't kink shame.

What if my kink was kink shaming? Would that make you shaming my kink shaming kink?

Not if my kink is shaming kink shamers.
Props TZ!
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#47 » by ontnut » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

Scase wrote:
ontnut wrote:
Scase wrote:Don't kink shame.

We have ourselves a conundrum.
GCougar
Bench Warmer
And1: 878

Post#48 » by GCougar » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:18 am

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I've missed it...

If we tie with Memphis for 6th what happens to the pick?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,569

Post#49 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

GCougar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I've missed it...

A coin toss will happen. That's how we got Terrence Ross, who was then known as coin toss Ross lol
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#50 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:47 am

Ssj16 wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:If our pick this year falls to 6 or less we get to keep it but in the scenario where it falls to 7 or higher and San Antonio keeps it, do our choice for their pick get deferred to next year?

Our draft pick is only top 6 protected for 2024, 2025 and 2026. If it doesn't convey it becomes 2 second round picks in the following draft. Essentially depending on the lottery we could keep our pick this year and next year's draft we'd be in the same position until the pick conveys to the Spurs or becomes 2 seconds.

So does this mean until we a top 6 pick between 2024-2026, we will get second round picks?

Also wouldn't it be beneficial for the Raptors to get a top 6 pick in 2025 or 2026, since this draft is supposed to be weak?

No it means to keep our pick we have to have a bottom 6 record plus stay within the top 6 after the lottery until 2026. In 2027 if the pick does not convey to San Antonio then they will receive 2 second round picks from us.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#51 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Mack11 wrote:so wait, its top 6 protected for 3 years? man...what a horrible trade.. tf were they smoking

Bruh. I thought it was top 6 protected for 2 years as well.

Holy smokes. Terrible trade. Oh well. What’s done is done. No team executive has a flawless track record.
Not gonna keep crying about it on a daily basis like some people.

It's why I'm totally in for just conveying the pick this year in a bad draft. At least we'd be guaranteed our pick moving forward, which does 2 things for us. 1) Chance at more talented players in better upcoming drafts. 2) More trade flexibility with our future picks.
GCougar
Bench Warmer
And1: 878

Post#52 » by GCougar » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 pm

DG88 wrote:
GCougar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I've missed it...

A coin toss will happen. That's how we got Terrence Ross, who was then known as coin toss Ross lol

Thanks, I remember that now, I think we missed Harrison Barnes with that pick and he's STILL playing.
Wise80
Senior
And1: 553

Post#53 » by Wise80 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Tha Cynic wrote:It was a bad trade.

Those who keep trashing it - it's time to move on and hope for the best.

Those who keep defending it, you're just flat out wrong.

Can we at least wait till we see who the spurs draft with our pick?

No, it was an awful trade. Masai laid out the rationale. He thought we were a C away from being competitive. We overpaid for an average C and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The trade alone wasn’t a disaster. The disaster was the combination of the trade + holding onto FVV + dragging our feet on GTJ/OG/Siakam + firing Nurse + hurting our draft position in 2023.

It would be good to read the comments from the trade thread when it happened. Can't believe people defended it.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 429

Post#54 » by Ssj16 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 pm

DG88 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
DG88 wrote:Our draft pick is only top 6 protected for 2024, 2025 and 2026. If it doesn't convey it becomes 2 second round picks in the following draft. Essentially depending on the lottery we could keep our pick this year and next year's draft we'd be in the same position until the pick conveys to the Spurs or becomes 2 seconds.

No it means to keep our pick we have to have a bottom 6 record plus stay within the top 6 after the lottery until 2026. In 2027 if the pick does not convey to San Antonio then they will receive 2 second round picks from us.

Thanks for taking the time to break this down. My question still stands, even though it's risky, wouldn't it make more sense to tank next year in a deeper draft but I guess we will see how it all plays out. At least the Raps have a good scouting team.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#55 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:52 pm

Ssj16 wrote:
DG88 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to break this down. My question still stands, even though it's risky, wouldn't it make more sense to tank next year in a deeper draft but I guess we will see how it all plays out. At least the Raps have a good scouting team.

In hindsight it would have been better that they tanked last year and trade Fred, Siakam and OG to amass assets instead of giving them away for a team with a limited ceiling, but what's done is done.

As for tanking this year well I don't think it was the "plan" per se. I think without the injuries would would have been the 8th worst team. Injuries have just devastated the team where majority of our players are gleaguers, rookies and sophomores. You're not going to win in any situation unless you're extremely lucky. Regardless of whether we end the season as the 6th worst we're still beholden to the lottery balls. I'd rather just lose the pick this year since we have 2 picks this year in the mid first and at the beginning of the second. Should add some young depth and have another lottery pick next year.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 429

Post#56 » by Ssj16 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 pm

DG88 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
DG88 wrote:No it means to keep our pick we have to have a bottom 6 record plus stay within the top 6 after the lottery until 2026. In 2027 if the pick does not convey to San Antonio then they will receive 2 second round picks from us.

In hindsight it would have been better that they tanked last year and trade Fred, Siakam and OG to amass assets instead of giving them away for a team with a limited ceiling, but what's done is done.

As for tanking this year well I don't think it was the "plan" per se. I think without the injuries would would have been the 8th worst team. Injuries have just devastated the team where majority of our players are gleaguers, rookies and sophomores. You're not going to win in any situation unless you're extremely lucky. Regardless of whether we end the season as the 6th worst we're still beholden to the lottery balls. I'd rather just lose the pick this year since we have 2 picks this year in the mid first and at the beginning of the second. Should add some young depth and have another lottery pick next year.

Yea man, I wish they tried to tank last year for Wemby. It still blows my mind we didn't the writing on the wall early last year
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#57 » by Scase » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:02 pm

ontnut wrote:
Scase wrote:
ontnut wrote:What about that was shaming?

We have ourselves a conundrum.

Or the sexiest outcome possible.
Props TZ!
TimeForChange
Sixth Man
And1: 1,404

Post#58 » by TimeForChange » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 pm

Wise80 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Can we at least wait till we see who the spurs draft with our pick?

No, it was an awful trade. Masai laid out the rationale. He thought we were a C away from being competitive. We overpaid for an average C and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The trade alone wasn’t a disaster. The disaster was the combination of the trade + holding onto FVV + dragging our feet on GTJ/OG/Siakam + firing Nurse + hurting our draft position in 2023.

It would be good to read the comments from the trade thread when it happened. Can't believe people defended it.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2264914

a bunch of people/mods have deleted/edited their posts from the thread out of embarrassment. enjoy reading the stupidity of some.
Axe Dragon
Analyst
And1: 377

Post#59 » by Axe Dragon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:We traded a top 7 pick for Poeltl and received a 20ish pick for Siakam. Our front office is arrogant and delusional.

A 20ish pick, another future pick, Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji for Siakam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,858

Post#60 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2264914

a bunch of people/mods have deleted/edited their posts from the thread out of embarrassment. enjoy reading the stupidity of some.

Actually I have access to the logs and only 5 posts were deleted (none by mods) and no posts were edited.

Of the 5 deleted, 3 were duplicates. That leaves 2 potential people who deleted because of their take..

Return to Toronto Raptors