ImageImageImageImageImage

How does the rules for our San Antonio pick work?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,042

Re: How does the rules for our San Antonio pick work? 

Post#61 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 pm

DG88 wrote:
GCougar wrote:Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I've missed it...

If we tie with Memphis for 6th what happens to the pick?

A coin toss will happen. That's how we got Terrence Ross, who was then known as coin toss Ross lol

Its entirely stupid to not to just split the lottery odds for both spots between both tied teams after the flip. Just saying.
BBS22
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#62 » by BBS22 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:My only gripe was that we didn't use the 2023 pick. Pushing it into the future like this was a bet against yourself.

Indeed. I posted the day the trade was made that it was terrible and didn't make much sense.

A better structured trade (if we HAD to make it) would have been the Raptors having the option to convey any pick and minimum top 10 protection, within 3 years. Maybe even a pick swap giving Spurs the favourable option.

Poe was an expiring contract who could have walked away hypothetically. I've seen people say there's no assurance we could have gotten him in FA ... where was the assurance we were going to keep him going into FA? Which is the bigger risk, trading a first rounder with very light protections for an expiring player? Or waiting until FA for the same player and signing either outright or sign and trade (where the Spurs likely wouldn't have much leverage anyway if Poe wanted to be a Raptor)?

I could go on about how this trade was awful from day 1 but time to move on. I'm hoping the Spurs get this pick and barely watching games this season because I don't know if even losing will be meaningless.

You either sell winning or hope. You're a basement team selling neither, sorry my time is too limited to waste on the team.

Thanks Tubrozone!
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,654

Post#63 » by Mr Funk » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 pm

Tacoma wrote:
raincityraptors wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
This too is oddly specific

Chandan, Ontnut, MessiahUjiri and DelAbbot thanks for making this useless thread legendary in just a few posts.

I was genuinely laughing out loud. Y'all are gold.

They may be kidding but who's really laughing?

The only way Popovich loses is if the pick conveys in 2027 when it downgrades to two 2nd rounders. But in this scenario, Masai loses even more because it would mean Raptors are in a death spiral being bottom 6 for three straight years with BBQ in their prime, and Masai is likely fired.

Therefore, Masai is going to do everything he can to make sure SA gets a 1st round pick from the Raptors. As of today, we sit 6th last meaning there's >50% probability that Popovich wins our #7 or #8 lottery pick & we get nothing out of a miserable season.

Add that SA also got two 2nd round picks from us in that trade & the ones truly laughing are in San Antonio, in particular this guy:

It's a bad trade but not a fireable offence. Riley traded two first round picks for Dragic and treadmilled for four years.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,697

Post#64 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:11 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
No, it was an awful trade. Masai laid out the rationale. He thought we were a C away from being competitive. We overpaid for an average C and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The trade alone wasn’t a disaster. The disaster was the combination of the trade + holding onto FVV + dragging our feet on GTJ/OG/Siakam + firing Nurse + hurting our draft position in 2023.

It would be good to read the comments from the trade thread when it happened. Can't believe people defended it.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2264914

a bunch of people/mods have deleted/edited their posts from the thread out of embarrassment. enjoy reading the stupidity of some.

I went back to look at my comments because I wasn't a fan of the trade.

DG88 wrote:Stein called this deal and we've been linked to Poeltl for 2 seasons now. A 2024 protected first, 2 future seconds and Birch for Poeltl is a bit rich. Depends on the protection of the 2024 FRP. If it's top 20 protected then I can swallow this deal. Now we got 3 FA this summer that we need to pay. I think we have another trade coming this team will be too expensive to move forward with.

Still there are some gems in that thread. The minute the pick protections came out almost everyone hated the trade lol.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#65 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 pm

Axe Dragon wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:We traded a top 7 pick for Poeltl and received a 20ish pick for Siakam. Our front office is arrogant and delusional.

A 20ish pick, another future pick, Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji for Siakam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,055

Post#66 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
No, it was an awful trade. Masai laid out the rationale. He thought we were a C away from being competitive. We overpaid for an average C and will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

The trade alone wasn’t a disaster. The disaster was the combination of the trade + holding onto FVV + dragging our feet on GTJ/OG/Siakam + firing Nurse + hurting our draft position in 2023.

It would be good to read the comments from the trade thread when it happened. Can't believe people defended it.

a bunch of people/mods have deleted/edited their posts from the thread out of embarrassment. enjoy reading the stupidity of some.

why lie man? :lol:
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,798

Post#67 » by Pointgod » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 pm

TimeForChange wrote:
Wise80 wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:

Those of us that hated the trade for various reasons have been pretty consistent this whole time.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,024

Post#68 » by Duffman100 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 pm

DG88 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:
Wise80 wrote:

DG88 wrote:Stein called this deal and we've been linked to Poeltl for 2 seasons now. A 2024 protected first, 2 future seconds and Birch for Poeltl is a bit rich. Depends on the protection of the 2024 FRP. If it's top 20 protected then I can swallow this deal. Now we got 3 FA this summer that we need to pay. I think we have another trade coming this team will be too expensive to move forward with.

Still there are some gems in that thread. The minute the pick protections came out almost everyone hated the trade lol.

Someone calling Poeltl “Araujo” was pretty classic.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,798

Post#69 » by Pointgod » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:My only gripe was that we didn't use the 2023 pick. Pushing it into the future like this was a bet against yourself.

Popovich is laughing his ass off getting a lottery pick and 2 seconds for a player that he was going to lose anyways.

I don’t think there’s any way to argue that not trading for Poeltl and trading Van Vleet was the better option because we:

1. End with a higher 2023 pick. Even if we only wanted Dick (Ayo!) we could have traded down and picked up more assets.

2. We’d get something for Fred and have some future picks.

3. If we still do the exact trades with Siakam and OG, we’d still be way better off than we are now worry about whether to we give our pick to the Spurs this year or next year. We can just make the moves that benefit the team and again more flexibility.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,907

Post#70 » by Kingsway_fan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Masai was desperate to make the deal to:
1. Make a push for a play in spot,
2. Unload his previous mistake- Birch overpay

That's why pop took him to the cleaners....
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,697

Post#71 » by DG88 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
DG88 wrote:
TimeForChange wrote:

Someone calling Poeltl “Araujo” was pretty classic.

:lol:
I think we can all agree that Poeltl is an above average C in the NBA, but not for the price we paid to get him.
earth007
Junior
And1: 602

Post#72 » by earth007 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 pm

Chandan wrote:1. I will obey, please and serve my Owner/ Master.
2. I worship my Owner and his body.
3. To receive pleasure - I must earn it.
4. I will ask my Owner for permission to satisfy any of my needs.
5. I’m the property of my Owner - my body and my mind.
6. All my choices will be based on the fact if they please my Owner or not.
7. My place is on my knees, in front of my Owner.
8. Safeword is "KAWHI"

I asked AI to make an image out of those statement and it is not cooperating. :lol:
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Popovich is laughing his ass off getting a lottery pick and 2 seconds for a player that he was going to lose anyways.

I don’t think there’s any way to argue that not trading for Poeltl and trading Van Vleet was the better option because we:

1. End with a higher 2023 pick. Even if we only wanted Dick (Ayo!) we could have traded down and picked up more assets.

3. If we still do the exact trades with Siakam and OG, we’d still be way better off than we are now worry about whether to we give our pick to the Spurs this year or next year. We can just make the moves that benefit the team and again more flexibility.

We still have dotards who justify the trade and holding onto Fred. Heck, you still have them saying Poeltl is better than any of the players projected to be drafted with our 2024 first.

At the end of the day players are a means to an end. The idea for the Poeltl trade was to solidify us as a playoff team and our FO failed miserably at a very high cost.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,055

Post#74 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Axe Dragon wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:We traded a top 7 pick for Poeltl and received a 20ish pick for Siakam. Our front office is arrogant and delusional.

A 20ish pick, another future pick, Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji for Siakam

Terrible

Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett
Ochai Agbaji
Kelly Olynyk
Bruce Brown
Jordan Nwora
2024 First Round Pick (13-17th OA Pick)
2026 First Round Pick

FOR

Pascal Siakam
OG Anunoby
Precious Achiuwa

Not a bad haul tbh.

Siakam trade was mid.
But OG trade was A+
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by 2019nbachamps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:
Axe Dragon wrote:A 20ish pick, another future pick, Kelly Olynyk, Ochai Agbaji for Siakam

Terrible

Immanuel Quickley
RJ Barrett
Ochai Agbaji
Kelly Olynyk
Bruce Brown
Jordan Nwora
2024 First Round Pick (13-17th OA Pick)
2026 First Round Pick

FOR

Pascal Siakam
OG Anunoby
Precious Achiuwa

Not a bad haul tbh.

Siakam trade was mid.
But OG trade was A+

OG trade was great.

Siakam trade was mediocre.

Poeltl trade and FVV walking were awful.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#76 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm

Ok am a 45 year old Gen Xer been cheering for the Raptors since their inception.
I am still confused as to WHO chooses if we convey the pick or not.

So May 12th ping pong balls bounce our way we end up picking in the top 6, who chooses/decides if we keep the pick
or convey it to next year? The Spurs or? Clarification on this would be greatly appreciated please & thanks in advance!
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,771

Post#77 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:50 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

We still have dotards who justify the trade and holding onto Fred. Heck, you still have them saying Poeltl is better than any of the players projected to be drafted with our 2024 first.

At the end of the day players are a means to an end. The idea for the Poeltl trade was to solidify us as a playoff team and our FO failed miserably at a very high cost.

Fred should have been moved Barnes rookie season. We drafted his replacement, then wimped out.

Hey, play SG...No? OK, bye.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by 2019nbachamps » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:06 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Ok am a 45 year old Gen Xer been cheering for the Raptors since their inception.

So May 12th ping pong balls bounce our way we end up picking in the top 6, who chooses/decides if we keep the pick
or convey it to next year? The Spurs or? Clarification on this would be greatly appreciated please & thanks in advance!

If the lottery determines our pick is #6 or higher, we keep the pick. Otherwise anything from #7 and lower goes to the Spurs. The same logic applies for the next two drafts. No one chooses anything. It simply comes down to our draft position.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,537

Post#79 » by bballsparkin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:22 am

GoRapstheoriginal wrote:Ok am a 45 year old Gen Xer been cheering for the Raptors since their inception.

:rockon: :rock: :beer: :rocking: That's the dream.
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,869

Post#80 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:25 am

Kingsway_fan wrote:Masai was desperate to make the deal to:
1. Make a push for a play in spot,
2. Unload his previous mistake- Birch overpay

That's why pop took him to the cleaners....

We got a top ten centre.....

Return to Toronto Raptors