ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Other Toronto Sports teams

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,685

OT: Other Toronto Sports teams 

Post#1 » by Vampirate » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:57 am

The Jays just had their home opener - which Alek Manoah are we getting this year?

Hall of Famer Austin Matthews is doing his thing again where he scores a ton of goals, nobody cares because we want to get past the 2nd round.

I swear this is Mats Sundin all over again, but worse.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,961

Re: OT: Other Toronto Sports teams 

Post#2 » by Potential » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:40 am

Leafs are barely even the 6th best team in the east. The 1st/ 2nd round exit is inevitable once again
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#3 » by metafisical » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

At least the Leafs are a winning team. The Raptors are one of the worst in the league.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#4 » by beanbag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

Vampirate wrote:The Jays just had their home opener - which Alek Manoah are we getting this year?

Hall of Famer Austin Matthews is doing his thing again where he scores a ton of goals, nobody cares because we want to get past the 2nd round.

Alek Manoah is not on the team, lol.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,474

Post#5 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:43 am

I'm not investing more time in the Jays until this FO shows me they're serious about winning. In seven years of running the team, they've yet to show me they are. Since they started their rebuild in 2017, the Jays have made the playoffs three* times (*making the playoffs during a shortened season with a negative run differential shouldn't count, but I included it anyway), winning a grand total of zero playoff games...

The Leafs are the Leafs. This core always has good regular seasons and then chokes in the playoffs. They've made it past the first round once in 7 years (losing 4-1 in the second round the year they did). I'm not expecting a different outcome this season.

Despite the Raptors' recent struggles, I still somehow have more faith in this FO than those other two, which isn't saying much.
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#6 » by witnessraps » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:27 am

metafisical wrote:At least the Leafs are a winning team. The Raptors are one of the worst in the league.

Each team goes through rebuild cycles. The raptors are one of the most successful nba teams in the last 10 years we've been blessed with a lot of good basketball and a championship
6ixpessant
Junior
And1: 433

Post#7 » by 6ixpessant » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am

If the Jays have a better hitting philosophy with the new coaching, they're definitely good enough to win the east (barring the injury bug).

The Leafs.. I still don't believe they have the goaltending required to win in the playoffs. You need a guy that can steal games... Maybe one of them will rise up.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#8 » by bluerap23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 pm

I predict the Raptors win another chip before the leafs or jays.

Also predict that people on this board will still be calling for Masai's head after they do it.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,634

Post#9 » by Psubs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm

witnessraps wrote:
metafisical wrote:At least the Leafs are a winning team. The Raptors are one of the worst in the league.

Each team goes through rebuild cycles. The raptors are one of the most successful nba teams in the last 10 years we've been blessed with a lot of good basketball and a championship

The Raptors are not a major FA destination so have to build through the draft. The Leafs had to be bad for 4 years to get Matthews, Marner and Nylander. They have made some decent draft picks late in the 1st recently, like Knies and Easton Cowan, that should help soon. At least they were able to sign Tavares. No such level of player has signed with the Raptors.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#10 » by Psubs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 pm

bluerap23 wrote:I predict the Raptors win another chip before the leafs or jays.

Also predict that people on this board will still be calling for Masai's head after they do it.

The Jays have built a top 5 pitching staff in all of MLB.

1. Berrios
2. Gausman
3. Bassitt
4. Kikuchi
5. Bowden Francis/Manoah/Yariel Rodriguez

There's no reason why the Jays can't finish with 90+ wins and finishing 2nd behind the Baltimore Orioles who after many basement years are having their young stars carry them up. Baltimore won zero playoff games last season; Texas swept them 3-0. The whole AL East were winless last playoffs.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,577

Post#11 » by bluerap23 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 pm

Psubs wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:I predict the Raptors win another chip before the leafs or jays.

1. Berrios
2. Gausman
3. Bassitt
4. Kikuchi

Very good starting rotation, bullpen and defence. Offence is troubling. In recent years we've lost Semien, Teo, Gurriel, Chapman and Merrifield and replaced them with worse hitters. We are "hoping" that there will be bounce back seasons from Springer, Vlad, Kirk and Varsho. We are "hoping" there will be internal growth and development. The team isn't bad, they just aren't good enough.

Forget about last year. Remind me how many playoff games we've won in the Shatkins decade.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#12 » by Psubs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 pm

6ixpessant wrote:If the Jays have a better hitting philosophy with the new coaching, they're definitely good enough to win the east (barring the injury bug).

The Leafs.. I still don't believe they have the goaltending required to win in the playoffs. You need a guy that can steal games... Maybe one of them will rise up.

Woll was doing amazing before he got hurt. He's playing better now and hopefully peak at the right time for the playoffs.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#13 » by Psubs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

1. Berrios
2. Gausman
3. Bassitt
4. Kikuchi

Very good starting rotation, bullpen and defence. Offence is troubling. In recent years we've lost Semien, Teo, Gurriel, Chapman and Merrifield and replaced them with worse hitters. We are "hoping" that there will be bounce back seasons from Springer, Vlad, Kirk and Varsho. We are "hoping" there will be internal growth and development. The team isn't bad, they just aren't good enough.

Forget about last year. Remind me how many playoff games we've won in the Shatkins decade.

Keirmeier moved up to the 6th spot makes sense while Biggio at the #9 brings pop to the bottom and he's willing to walk a lot to set the table for the top of the order.

Tiedmann gets the start in Buffalo today. They will keep him down there enough, not to burn a year of arbitration. If all goes well, he is top 4 next year and Kikuchi is re-signed as a long reliever.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#14 » by God Squad » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 pm

witnessraps wrote:

Had a over a decade of winning basketball, that concluded with Championship.

The Leafs can only wish.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,166

Post#15 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm

Potential wrote:Leafs are barely even the 6th best team in the east. The 1st/ 2nd round exit is inevitable once again

Not really how hoceky works though - this is not the NBA where the better seeds win. Now sure how they are "barely" the 6th best team when they are comfortably in 5th right now and have games in hand of the teams ahead of them though :lol:

Yeah, and the Leafs are on pace to win less games than the Raptors won in 2022.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,826

Post#16 » by Quattro » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 pm

Psubs wrote:

1. Berrios
2. Gausman
3. Bassitt
4. Kikuchi

There's no reason why the Jays can't finish with 90+ wins and finishing 2nd behind the Baltimore Orioles who after many basement years are having their young stars carry them up. Baltimore won zero playoff games last season; Texas swept them 3-0. The whole AL East were winless last playoffs.

Baltimores entire roster is full of young, talented guys who are getting their first taste of playing winning major league ball. They're only going to get better.

Meanwhile, the sum total of the Jays off season moves to fix a lineup that can't hit was to try and sign a guy who was never going to come here and then pivot to signing spare parts. Sure they COULD win 90 games but a LOT of things would have to go right. For one thing, expecting the health and quality that they got last season from their pitching staff is disappointment waiting to happen.

There's zero accountability in that front office.

As for the leafs, it's mystifying to me why people still talk about them. I mean, what are they in now year 8 of trying to do the same thing and hoping this time will somehow be different?
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,440

Post#17 » by KL78192020 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 pm

beanbag wrote:
Vampirate wrote:The Jays just had their home opener - which Alek Manoah are we getting this year?

What about Robbie Alomar, he was a great 2nd baseman.
Smokee
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#18 » by Smokee » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 pm

Leafs are a joke led by a bunch of softies. Matthews is allergic to grit and Marner has the presence of a 16 year old boy. No team in the NHL is intimidated by these fakes. Another first round exit to come
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,638

Post#19 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm

beanbag wrote:

Pretty sure they’re also in Tampa.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#20 » by beanbag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Pretty sure they’re also in Tampa.

Confirmed

Return to Toronto Raptors