ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Other Toronto Sports teams

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 43,042

Re: OT: Other Toronto Sports teams 

Post#161 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:24 am

gp2015 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:The Jays need a massive shake up... It's pretty obvious that Vlad ain't his Dad.

Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

They're only good at identifying pitching talent. Was the same story when they ran the Indians.

Not really. Vlad is part of the problem. He had a massive year and he's gotten progressively worse every season since then. He has been terrible so far this season.

Vlad will want a huge contract extension and he hasn't earned it.

I'm not willing to write him off this fast. He's only 25 and a budding star. He's struggling mightily but I'm hopeful he'll turn it around.
He had a "bad" season last year and still put up close to triple digit RBIs, made the all-star team, and made significant strides at first base.

I'm still upset we let Lourdes go. He was my favorite Jay... :cry:
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 6,016

Post#162 » by Coco Costanza » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 am

Thing about Vlad is, he's pretty bad in the clutch. I can think of specific big moments for other past Jays stars, but not him. I think that one season when he was batting for the tripple crown was an outlier.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,188

Post#163 » by gp2015 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:11 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

They're only good at identifying pitching talent. Was the same story when they ran the Indians.

Not really. Vlad is part of the problem. He had a massive year and he's gotten progressively worse every season since then. He has been terrible so far this season.

Vlad will want a huge contract extension and he hasn't earned it.

I'm not willing to write him off this fast. He's only 25 and a budding star. He's struggling mightily but I'm hopeful he'll turn it around.
He had a "bad" season last year and still put up close to triple digit RBIs, made the all-star team, and made significant strides at first base.

I'm still upset we let Lourdes go. He was my favorite Jay... :cry:

I'm not sure he will be a star. It looks like he'll be a slightly above average player but not the superstar we thought IMO.

As for his fielding, I think it has gotten worse since he won the gold glove a couple seasons ago. It was not great last year and this year has been pretty poor. His approach at the plate has gotten progressively worse which doesn't give me much hope.

On top, he hasn't produced at all in the playoffs.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#164 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 am

EDMONTON OILERS WIN! EDMONTON OILERS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! :P! :)! :D!11
6ixpessant
Senior
And1: 459

Post#165 » by 6ixpessant » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:The Jays need a massive shake up... It's pretty obvious that Vlad ain't his Dad.

Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

Shapiro seems more interested in renovating buildings (Dunedin/SkyDome) than the actual baseball team. I even disliked him in Moneyball! :D
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,788

Post#166 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:02 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

They're not good at identifying pitching talent. They haven't developed a single major league-level starter during their tenure. Manoah had two good seasons before **** the bed. The other starters were already established when the FO signed them or traded for them.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#167 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri May 3, 2024 2:51 am

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS WIN! TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS WIN! WOOHOO! HOORAY! FORCE GAME 7 IN BOSTON! OH YA! :P! :)! :D!
Coco Costanza
Analyst

Post#168 » by Coco Costanza » Fri May 3, 2024 4:16 am

6ixpessant wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

Shapiro seems more interested in renovating buildings (Dunedin/SkyDome) than the actual baseball team

It's why he was brought on. He was behind renovating Progressive Field, and was brought on to try and resuscitate the Rogers Centre.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

6ixpessant
Senior

Post#169 » by 6ixpessant » Fri May 3, 2024 5:48 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Vlad is fine.

Shatkins is the problem.

Shapiro seems more interested in renovating buildings (Dunedin/SkyDome) than the actual baseball team

It's why he was brought on. He was behind renovating Progressive Field, and was brought on to try and resuscitate the Rogers Centre.

Yeah, so the hiring motivation was wrong by ownership.

I'm sure they could have hired someone to do that... and Shapiro could maybe do baseball things. The $30 hot dogs are pretty revolutionary though.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,710

Post#170 » by C_Money » Fri May 3, 2024 5:58 am

6ixpessant wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:

I'm sure they could have hired someone to do that... and Shapiro could maybe do baseball things. The $30 hot dogs are pretty revolutionary though.

It’s one of those things where nobody actually knows WTF a president does compared to a GM. With the Raptors we know Masai has a huge hand in roster moves but it’s not like that for other teams.

And then a lot of sports teams don’t even have a president, period.
6ixpessant
Senior

Post#171 » by 6ixpessant » Fri May 3, 2024 6:13 am

C_Money wrote:
6ixpessant wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:

It’s one of those things where nobody actually knows WTF a president does compared to a GM. With the Raptors we know Masai has a huge hand in roster moves but it’s not like that for other teams.

And then a lot of sports teams don’t even have a president, period.

Yeah, it's not like the 90s teams and the known defined roles. This front office hasn't really ever felt right. I think some of the Rogers corporate culture has spilled over.

I dunno, I'm having a hard time watching this era of MLB... so I don't really know what's going on anyway!
Coco Costanza
Analyst

Post#172 » by Coco Costanza » Wed May 8, 2024 1:35 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
It's the third game of a 162 game season. :-?

So? Everyone could see the offseason was abysmal and enough embarrassing playoff failures.

Atkins needs to be fired 1 year ago

So it's ridiculous to write the team off after three games. Hell, we likely won't know what this team is until July.

Yeah....I was wrong. :oops:

This team stinks. This has been the kind of start to a season that typically sees the team not being able to turn things and being sellers at the trade deadline. You just can't play like this given how competitive the AL East is. I wouldn't be surprised if John Schneider gets fired by the end of the week.

MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,225

Post#173 » by MiamiSPX » Wed May 8, 2024 1:48 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
So? Everyone could see the offseason was abysmal and enough embarrassing playoff failures.

Atkins needs to be fired 1 year ago

So it's ridiculous to write the team off after three games. Hell, we likely won't know what this team is until July.

Yeah....I was wrong. :oops:

This team stinks. This has been the kind of start to a season that typically sees the team not being able to turn things and being sellers at the trade deadline. You just can't play like this given how competitive the AL East is. I wouldn't be surprised if John Schneider gets fired by the end of the week.

The reason to be pessimistic about a turnaround is that pretty much everyone is struggling at the plate. It's actually remarkable that they may be out of it by mid-May. Everyone (other than Shatkins) knew the offense would be bad, but I didn't think it would be THIS bad. 7th worst in the majors, according to Buster Olney.
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,807

Post#174 » by Lord_Zedd » Wed May 8, 2024 2:04 am

Watching these Blue Jays is like watching the Kevin O'Neill Raptors.... There's like no hope or direction with this team at all.

We **** on Bobby and Masai for holding onto Siakam/OG/FVV for too long, but Shatkins takes the cake. Letting an ALMVP walk for nothing, or trading Sanchez for a player who couldn't catch a fly ball.

Shatkins is easily the worst of the three managements we have here, and sadly with the best job security thanks to Ed Rogers and his love affair for status quo.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,907

Post#175 » by Kingsway_fan » Wed May 8, 2024 9:42 am

When I think of the post championship era for the raps, it's been disappointing. Then I look at the Leafs and Jay's... lol Happy Jay's suck as I can't stand Rogers...
tdotboss
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#176 » by tdotboss » Wed May 8, 2024 11:34 pm

Other than Shohei, there was still quite a few big names on FA market this past off-season. You tease the fan base, and end up only with Kiner-F'ing Falefa and 40 yo Turner, you get this clown show we have today. Not sure what they do from here.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,612

Post#177 » by mdenny » Thu May 9, 2024 2:37 am

We just aired a national news story about how Vancouver is not allowing any large gatherings to watch the oilers series lol.
Coco Costanza
Analyst

Post#178 » by Coco Costanza » Thu May 9, 2024 3:15 am

tdotboss wrote:Other than Shohei, there was still quite a few big names on FA market this past off-season. You tease the fan base, and end up only with Kiner-F'ing Falefa and 40 yo Turner, you get this clown show we have today. Not sure what they do from here.

Ohtani was seen as a special case. Like, Rogers would have been willing to spend on him, but only him. The problem is, they only had a plan A, with no plan B in case that didn't work out.

I think the biggest mistake made so far, though, was breaking up the "barrio". There was a feeling that they were having too much fun, that perhaps they weren't taking things seriously, but that team was so much better than this current team.

Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,709

Post#179 » by Vampirate » Sat May 11, 2024 5:26 am

As for the Blue Jays, let's just call a spade a spade.

I expect for Bichette to get much better at the plate and I expect Vlad to get slightly better but that's it.

Outside those 2 were razer thin and tbh rightfully in last place.

We really need to just blow this thing up at this point.

Return to Toronto Raptors