ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Other Toronto Sports teams

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Re: OT: Other Toronto Sports teams 

Post#121 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:03 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
gp2015 wrote:Why do they keep returning the same core team and hope that the results will be different?

It's like if the Raptors doubled down on the Demar/Lowry duo for the next 5 years in hopes that the results would change.

Hard cap. I feel the Leafs made a mistake signing Tavares. He's a good player but wasn't needed at the price tag his pay comes with you. Freddy Anderson was a decent goalie and didn't cost that much. I liked Kadri too. He was a good value contract and helped the Avs hoist the cup.

New GM though. He needs to time to manoeuvre the cap situation. Losing Hyman hurt too. He's a gamer. Sad reality of the hard cap.

Hyman's deal won't age well, but he makes about what Brodie makes. This was management thinking he was overrated, when it turned out he was very underrated, and that management is gone now.

I'm not freaking out over a game 1, but Marner doesn't look right and last year was largely invisible in the playoffs. If Nylander and Marner are both battling health issues, it's not really the fault of management to get beat by a very strong Boston team.

Personally I think it will take a few years to clean up Dubas' legacy. Matthews, Nylander and Marner will all be expensive, but necessary to maintain any kind of credible team going forward. Tavares is likely a trade with salary retained in the off-season, Marner given a lucrative extension, and then they can rebuild around the margins. The mistake was this "our window is now" mindset making all these bad deadline trades. If Marner is retained there's still a good 4-5 years to make their run.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,511

Post#122 » by bballsparkin » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:43 pm

^^Hyman's deal might age alright. It has a cap hit of $5.5M and he will be almost 36 when it's over. So some risk there for sure if he loses a step. Agree the GM needs time to build up the prospects after Dubas trying to make long playoff runs at the expense of the future.
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,592

Post#123 » by SFour » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:06 pm

gp2015 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:
gp2015 wrote:Why do they keep returning the same core team and hope that the results will be different?

It's like if the Raptors doubled down on the Demar/Lowry duo for the next 5 years in hopes that the results would change.

The issue imo has always been goaltending and a tough defensive pairing.

Admittedly, I haven't watched enough to really comment, so the offense has been good enough? I thought that was part of the problem as well.

I don't think Leafs are comparable to Demar/Lowry.......Mathews is a superstar...so more like the Sixers with Embiid that can't get past the 2nd round, and looks like it'll be a 1st round exit for them this year.
greekman
Senior
And1: 319

Post#124 » by greekman » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 pm

how can the jays win with cabrera, mayza, and richards giving up the leads in close games.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,166

Post#125 » by gp2015 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:43 am

SFour wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
HiJiNX wrote:The issue imo has always been goaltending and a tough defensive pairing.

Admittedly, I haven't watched enough to really comment, so the offense has been good enough? I thought that was part of the problem as well.

I don't think Leafs are comparable to Demar/Lowry.......Mathews is a superstar...so more like the Sixers with Embiid that can't get past the 2nd round, and looks like it'll be a 1st round exit for them this year.

Mathews doesn't look like a superstar when the playoffs come. I might compare him to Harden - superstar in the regular season and comes up short in the playoffs.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,592

Post#126 » by SFour » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:48 am

gp2015 wrote:
SFour wrote:
gp2015 wrote:

Mathews doesn't look like a superstar when the playoffs come. I might compare him to Harden - superstar in the regular season and comes up short in the playoffs.

That's why I brought up Embiid....superstar in regular season, won an MVP award, but has a history of shrinking in the playoffs
MiamiSPX
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#127 » by MiamiSPX » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:14 pm

SFour wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
SFour wrote:

That's why I brought up Embiid....superstar in regular season, won an MVP award, but has a history of shrinking in the playoffs

Its a thing, nobody can deny it anymore. The only feeble argument some throw out is that his PPG is still "decent" in the playoffs. Nonsense.

We've seen how many regular season games where he was unquestionably the best player in that game? 150? 200? Honestly speaking, how many times have we seen that in the playoffs? I can only think of 1 game, and it was last year against Tampa, can't remember which, one of the OT wins in either Game 3 or 4 where he scored a couple of times. In 99% of his playoff games, he’s just another guy out there.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,862

Post#128 » by Quattro » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:44 pm

greekman wrote:how can the jays win with cabrera, mayza, and richards giving up the leads in close games.

They won't. Not changing a flawed team and hoping for "positive regression" while your rivals have improved is a recipe for somewhere around 80-85 wins best case scenario.
JB7
Analyst
And1: 1,331

Post#129 » by JB7 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:07 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

Hard cap. I feel the Leafs made a mistake signing Tavares. He's a good player but wasn't needed at the price tag his pay comes with you. Freddy Anderson was a decent goalie and didn't cost that much. I liked Kadri too. He was a good value contract and helped the Avs hoist the cup.

New GM though. He needs to time to manoeuvre the cap situation. Losing Hyman hurt too. He's a gamer. Sad reality of the hard cap.

Hyman's deal won't age well, but he makes about what Brodie makes. This was management thinking he was overrated, when it turned out he was very underrated, and that management is gone now.

I'm not freaking out over a game 1, but Marner doesn't look right and last year was largely invisible in the playoffs. If Nylander and Marner are both battling health issues, it's not really the fault of management to get beat by a very strong Boston team.

Personally I think it will take a few years to clean up Dubas' legacy. Matthews, Nylander and Marner will all be expensive, but necessary to maintain any kind of credible team going forward. Tavares is likely a trade with salary retained in the off-season, Marner given a lucrative extension, and then they can rebuild around the margins. The mistake was this "our window is now" mindset making all these bad deadline trades. If Marner is retained there's still a good 4-5 years to make their run.

The Leafs are screwed. All 4 of their star forwards have No Movement Clauses (NMC). Matthews and Nylander were able to get full NMC's on their new extensions.

The reason they are great regular season performers, and horrible playoff performers is Matthews, Marner and Nylander generally go nowhere near the net, and in the playoffs most goals scored are mucky goals around the net, as the D tightens up substantially. Tavares is the one of the 4 that lives in front of the net, and therefore has a greater ability to produce in the playoffs.

I honestly don't know what they do with the team. It seems destined for this same groundhog day scenario (decent season, 1st round playoff loss) for the next 4 seasons of Matthews extension (presuming Marner is signed to an extension).

The new Muskoka 3 = Matthews, Marner & Nylander
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#130 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:24 pm

JB7 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

The Leafs are screwed. All 4 of their star forwards have No Movement Clauses (NMC). Matthews and Nylander were able to get full NMC's on their new extensions.

The reason they are great regular season performers, and horrible playoff performers is Matthews, Marner and Nylander generally go nowhere near the net, and in the playoffs most goals scored are mucky goals around the net, as the D tightens up substantially. Tavares is the one of the 4 that lives in front of the net, and therefore has a greater ability to produce in the playoffs.

I honestly don't know what they do with the team. It seems destined for this same groundhog day scenario (decent season, 1st round playoff loss) for the next 4 seasons of Matthews extension (presuming Marner is signed to an extension).

Looking at the numbers it doesn't seem like a significant deviation for Nylander .34 goals/game in playoffs v .35 in regular season

Matthews is .42 v .65 regular

Marner is .19 v .33 regular

Tavares is .39 v .411

Still a really high number for Matthews, but yes, a significant drop off.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,604

Post#131 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:45 pm

greekman wrote:how can the jays win with cabrera, mayza, and richards giving up the leads in close games.

The bigger problem is not having much of an offence, again (although they have picked things up a bit lately).
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,650

Post#132 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:12 pm

The A's beat the Yankees. :D

Whoa, the Whitesox are worse than the A's! I was looking at their roster and it's truly bad. Only player worth gambling on is Luis Robert Jr to bounce back when he gets healthy. Allstar CF that hit 38 HR's last year!

Trade Addison Barger, Spencer Horwitz and Alek Manoah.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,757

Post#133 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:42 pm

Matthews with some superstar sh*t last night, which is really hard to do in the NHL playoffs on away ice because the home team gets last shift and you can guarantee line matchups (Matthews is getting hounded and bodied as a priority).

His game winner on a breakaway in the 3rd is the kind of thing that helps build your legacy.
Read on Twitter

Also a ridiculously good overall game. He's become one of the best 2-way Centers in the league while nearly hitting 70 goals... and he hits people like a 3rd or 4th line checker as if it's his job. Crazy.
Read on Twitter
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#134 » by ontnut » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:20 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Matthews with some superstar sh*t last night, which is really hard to do in the NHL playoffs on away ice because the home team gets last shift and you can guarantee line matchups (Matthews is getting hounded and bodied as a priority).

His game winner on a breakaway in the 3rd is the kind of thing that helps build your legacy.
Read on Twitter

Also a ridiculously good overall game. He's become one of the best 2-way Centers in the league while nearly hitting 70 goals... and he hits people like a 3rd or 4th line checker as if it's his job. Crazy.
Read on Twitter

Well he's the highest paid player in the league. I'd hope he'd have at least a couple of these types of performances in each series.

We have the 1st, 6th , 10th and 12th highest paid players in the league.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,058

Post#135 » by ontnut » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

JB7 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

They've gotta get something for Marner, he's the only movable piece. At least Tavares' deal only has 1 more year, so he'll be a heck of a lot cheaper after that.

They've tried to shore up the D and G spots with half measures too many times.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#136 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:39 pm

ontnut wrote:Well he's the highest paid player in the league. I'd hope he'd have at least a couple of these types of performances in each series.

We have the 6th, 11th and 12th p/gp players in the league and they're all in their prime. I'm keeping Marner and using Tavares' money to help pay for the raise.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,103

Post#137 » by ItsDanger » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Playoff Marner in a nutshell. He always has to be paired with a physical LW.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
JB7
Analyst

Post#138 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 pm

ontnut wrote:
JB7 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

They've gotta get something for Marner, he's the only movable piece. At least Tavares' deal only has 1 more year, so he'll be a heck of a lot cheaper after that.

They've tried to shore up the D and G spots with half measures too many times.

Unfortunately, Marner's NMC kicked in, so the only options they have on him are to re-sign him or let him walk. They could try to pressure him into a trade, but with a full NMC, he can dictate where he goes, and the price the team will be paying will be minimal, if anything.
JB7
Analyst

Post#139 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:43 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
ontnut wrote:Well he's the highest paid player in the league. I'd hope he'd have at least a couple of these types of performances in each series.

We have the 6th, 11th and 12th p/gp players in the league and they're all in their prime. I'm keeping Marner and using Tavares' money to help pay for the raise.

Tavares' next deal will be much less than his current, as he will be 35 at the start of it. I would still rather have a 35yr old Tavares than a 27yr old Marner in the playoffs.
JB7
Analyst

Post#140 » by JB7 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:02 pm

ItsDanger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Playoff Marner in a nutshell. He always has to be paired with a physical LW.

Yep, this is pretty much Marner, Matthews and Nylander in a nutshell.

At least Nylander has got a bit tougher over the years. He used to avoid contact like is was a plague, and now will actually drive to the net.

Return to Toronto Raptors