ImageImageImageImageImage

Christian Koloko Update

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TorontoBarneys
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,193

Christian Koloko Update 

Post#1 » by TorontoBarneys » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:46 pm

https://tucson.com/sports/college/basketball/wildcats/men/career-threatening-respiratory-illness-really-tough-for-christian-koloko/article_97968848-ce33-11ee-ba08-c7f4ae9e770b.html

Didn't see this posted anywhere so apologies if I missed it being done so previously.

On his health:

For Koloko, who’s now back living in L.A., “it’s been really difficult,” but he’s “feeling good. ... I don’t know when I’ll be back,” he said.

“This has been the toughest moment of my life,” said Koloko. “I’ve never had injuries or anything. This year I was basically out the whole year, so it’s really tough mentally, physically. But I think I’m built for that and I’m going to come back stronger. ... It’s tough, but at some point you gotta realize that you can’t do anything else. Just stay positive and try to recover. ... I just want to go out there and play basketball.”

Koloko said he’s still in the NBA’s Fitness-to-Play program, “but I’m progressing,” he said. If Koloko is cleared by the Fitness-to-Play Panel and ruled “medically able and medically fit to perform his duties as a professional basketball player,” he’s free to sign with any NBA team.

On his future in the NBA:

“I’m a free agent, so I’m just at home and seeing the doctors and whenever I get cleared, I’m going to find a new team,” Koloko said. “Wherever it is, I’m going to make it my new home. ... It’s been amazing being in the NBA. The NBA is the best league in the world and you can’t get any better than that. I’m grateful and thankful to be in that league.”

The 23-year-old Koloko didn’t rule out a return to the Raptors.

“Never say no. I don’t know what the future holds. I could be back with the Raptors in the future, maybe not,” he said. “I loved my time with the Raptors. They believed in me, they drafted me, so I’m thankful for them supporting me.”
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,902

Re: Christian Koloko Update 

Post#2 » by Duffman100 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:19 pm

Wishing him the best, would love to have him back.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,488

Post#3 » by PD28 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:22 pm

Such an unfortunate circumstance for the kid. Hoping he gets cleared and we give him another shot.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 431

Post#4 » by manjusaka » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:37 pm

Wouldn’t mind a second chance for him if he cleared, a two way or something.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,808

Post#5 » by WaltFrazier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:45 pm

I hope that's an optimistic prognosis but nothing definite there. Comes across as a sincere young man, wish him the best.

And hey if he did sign back with Toronto he could replace Schroder as the Raps best FA signing ever
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#6 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:02 pm

PD28 wrote:Such an unfortunate circumstance for the kid. Hoping he gets cleared and we give him another shot.

Not just for the kid. It was hugely unfortunate for the Raptors. We essentially gave up a first rounder for nothing. For a team lacking in depth, especially now in the front court, the Koloko situation has been devastating.

I though the blood clot problem was only cause for career shut down when it was recurring - e.g. in Bosh's case. It hasn't seemed to slow down Brandon Ingram's career.
maternal85
Starter
And1: 1,737

Post#7 » by maternal85 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:46 pm

Must be nice to be set for Life though
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,204

Post#8 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:24 pm

maternal85 wrote:Must be nice to be set for Life though

Pretty sure he has some money stolen from him, didn’t he?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#9 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:25 pm

I hope he gets cleared and I hope we bring him back.

I thought he was showing a lot of potential as a defensive center who would at minimum become a solid backup for us.

Hopefully him (and Jontay) get over whatever’s going on and we got em both to start 2024
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,038

Post#10 » by DelAbbot » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:25 pm

Last chance for

Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,870

Post#11 » by Thaddy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:31 pm

The rim protection and respect he has from perimeter players is what we need. It would be great to have him on a 2-way when he's ready.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#12 » by hype_2004 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:51 pm

Showed great promise as a rim protector and developing outside shooter. We missed out on Christian under really bad circumstances, hopefully he gets better and a team gives him another chance to prove himself.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,861

Post#13 » by Los_29 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:00 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
PD28 wrote:Such an unfortunate circumstance for the kid. Hoping he gets cleared and we give him another shot.

Not just for the kid. It was hugely unfortunate for the Raptors. We essentially gave up a first rounder for nothing. For a team lacking in depth, especially now in the front court, the Koloko situation has been devastating.

I though the blood clot problem was only cause for career shut down when it was recurring - e.g. in Bosh's case. It hasn't seemed to slow down Brandon Ingram's career.

lol it wasn’t devastating. We gave up a late first rounder to drop down in the draft and the best player we missed out on is a player averaging 7/7 in Kessler. He’s a good situational big for sure but certainly not devastating to lose out on him.

I hope Koloko can get healthy. I’m sure he will get another crack at the NBA. He showed some good things last year.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#14 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:41 pm

Los_29 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

lol it wasn’t devastating. We gave up a late first rounder to drop down in the draft and the best player we missed out on is a player averaging 7/7 in Kessler. He’s a good situational big for sure but certainly not devastating to lose out on him.

I hope Koloko can get healthy. I’m sure he will get another crack at the NBA. He showed some good things last year.

Koloko had more potential than Kessler. That's why Masai made the deal. It's devastating to the team not to have a real C off the bench, or to sub in when Jak's hurt. How do people not see what is clear as day on the court?
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,543

Post#15 » by GP2 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:52 pm

Hope for the best, but does a 7-footer ever get cleared of a blood clot? Aren't you on blood thinners for the rest of your life, rendering you unable to play? Of course I'm mainly thinking of Bosh.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,059

Post#16 » by ontnut » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:53 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:

Koloko had more potential than Kessler. That's why Masai made the deal. It's devastating to the team not to have a real C off the bench, or to sub in when Jak's hurt. How do people not see what is clear as day on the court?

It's unfortunate but not devastating, at least not in the same way that say...drafting Joey Graham or Hoffa was. Put in another way, from the opposite perspective, I'm not sure I'd be over the moon if we had a healthy Koloko or even Kessler on the roster. It would help for sure, but certainly not make or break.
YogurtProducer
RealGM

Post#17 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:41 pm

ontnut wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

It's unfortunate but not devastating, at least not in the same way that say...drafting Joey Graham or Hoffa was. Put in another way, from the opposite perspective, I'm not sure I'd be over the moon if we had a healthy Koloko or even Kessler on the roster. It would help for sure, but certainly not make or break.

Yeah it’s a big loss - but it wouldn’t fundamentally change our situation right now.

But it would be nice to have the depth and potential trade / development chip
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#18 » by Merit » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:50 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:I hope that's an optimistic prognosis but nothing definite there. Comes across as a sincere young man, wish him the best.

And hey if he did sign back with Toronto he could replace Schroder as the Raps best FA signing ever

But but… Ball…
I believe in Masai.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,237

Post#19 » by Childs » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 pm

GP2 wrote:Hope for the best, but does a 7-footer ever get cleared of a blood clot? Aren't you on blood thinners for the rest of your life, rendering you unable to play? Of course I'm mainly thinking of Bosh.

If its provoked its 3 months, and if unprovoked 6 months, if its his first. Found to have another unprovoked, and he needs blood thinners lifelong.

I have my doubts, he will get another shot, as basketball is a contact sport.
tecumseh18
RealGM

Post#20 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:14 pm

ontnut wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

If the team doesn't acquire another centre this summer, you'll see how "devastating" the Koloko illness was next year when Poeltl is (inevitably) out with an injury, and Olynyk has to start in his place. (Assuming we're not trying to tank.)

OK, if you don't like the word "devastating", then will you agree that it's hard for a rebuilding team to miss out on an entire draft year? And it's hard for a team in a salary cap environment to miss a chance to add depth to the roster at a salary controlled price in a position of need when we just traded away three guys - OG, Precious and Pascal - who would often play that position. Now we likely have to waste cap space (or the room exception) on a C with less potential, for more money.

Return to Toronto Raptors