ImageImageImageImageImage

[Charania] Joel Embiid Signs An Endorsement Deal With Skechers

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: [Charania] Joel Embiid Signs An Endorsement Deal With Skechers 

Post#21 » by MEDIC » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:44 pm

Smalltown wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:The shoe game is one example of people being such brand whores.

Its all about Js then some player and rapper start wearing your dads NBs and all of a sudden NB is cool.

Champion was dead/cheap at a time but then it became of a cool brand because of some collab.

Dont think skechers gets anywhere but damn dont be surprised if one day a skecher pair reaches mid 3 figures because of resellers.

This isn't about competing with Nike or Adidas. When moms go into the mall shoe store and little Timmy says "but I want basketball shoes lets go to foot locker" - the mom will be able to walk over and grab a reasonably priced shoe and say "lets get these. Look a MVP wears them". It's not a pair of Nikes but it'll feel better to them than a pair of Walmart And1s.

The problem is they aren't reasonably priced. They are overpriced (200+ for a men's shoe). They are also super ugly/ cheap looking in my opinion. Not sure what Sketchers is trying to do here. They should have started out as a budget shoe. Not sure who is going to buy these.

https://www.skechers.ca/en/men/shop-by-activity/basketball/
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 472

Post#22 » by Smalltown » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:30 pm

MEDIC wrote:The problem is they aren't reasonably priced. They are overpriced (200+ for a men's shoe). They are also super ugly/ cheap looking in my opinion. Not sure what Sketchers is trying to do here. They should have started out as a budget shoe. Not sure who is going to buy these.

Always easier to walk back prices and or release more budget versions. These prices are to test the market strength as well as catch money from flippers/collectors. Also, stores that carry Sketchers often deep discount the brand. They'll likely have these marked for big discounts.

I do agree though. They should have made a more budget version from the start. I'd assume kids sizes at a lower price point are coming as well.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,372

Post#23 » by Scase » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:57 pm

Reeko wrote:
MessiahUjiri wrote:Need to see designs.

IMO big guys don’t really sell shoes, because most kids imititate guards (eg Kobe/MJ/Steph) or athletic forwards (eg Carter/Lebron)

From what I've heard the Ewings were really popular back in the day.

The Kemps when I was in HS were massive, I loved em as well.
Props TZ!
Scase
RealGM

Post#24 » by Scase » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:00 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Smalltown wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:The shoe game is one example of people being such brand whores.

Its all about Js then some player and rapper start wearing your dads NBs and all of a sudden NB is cool.

Champion was dead/cheap at a time but then it became of a cool brand because of some collab.

Dont think skechers gets anywhere but damn dont be surprised if one day a skecher pair reaches mid 3 figures because of resellers.

This isn't about competing with Nike or Adidas. When moms go into the mall shoe store and little Timmy says "but I want basketball shoes lets go to foot locker" - the mom will be able to walk over and grab a reasonably priced shoe and say "lets get these. Look a MVP wears them". It's not a pair of Nikes but it'll feel better to them than a pair of Walmart And1s.

The problem is they aren't reasonably priced. They are overpriced (200+ for a men's shoe). They are also super ugly/ cheap looking in my opinion. Not sure what Sketchers is trying to do here. They should have started out as a budget shoe. Not sure who is going to buy these.

Quality/desirability is impacted heavily by price, it's perceived value. There's a reason people didn't buy Shaq shoes en masse, they were seen as cheap and for "poor people".

Supreme hoodies arent "worth" 300USD, people buy em all the same for the status. Sketchers are looking to move into the more expensive market.
Props TZ!
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,922

Post#25 » by Merit » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:27 pm

I just don't view sketchers as a basketball brand. This doesn't change that for me. I'm sure embiid did well with the endorsements though and a bunch of kids parents will set them up with these when buying themselves stuff for the year.
I believe in Masai.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#26 » by MEDIC » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:51 pm

Smalltown wrote:
MEDIC wrote:The problem is they aren't reasonably priced. They are overpriced (200+ for a men's shoe). They are also super ugly/ cheap looking in my opinion. Not sure what Sketchers is trying to do here. They should have started out as a budget shoe. Not sure who is going to buy these.

Always easier to walk back prices and or release more budget versions. These prices are to test the market strength as well as catch money from flippers/collectors. Also, stores that carry Sketchers often deep discount the brand. They'll likely have these marked for big discounts.

I do agree though. They should have made a more budget version from the start. I'd assume kids sizes at a lower price point are coming as well.

Good points. I do think we will see these at a massive end of season discount. I watched a few shoe reviews on youtube. Pricepoint was their biggest concern because you can get much better quality shoes for the same price.

I didn't see any kids versions which kind of surprised me. I guess they are getting their feet wet at this point.

I also feel that they need to change their logo for the basketball division.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,920

Post#27 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:12 pm

Reeko wrote:

IMO big guys don’t really sell shoes, because most kids imititate guards (eg Kobe/MJ/Steph) or athletic forwards (eg Carter/Lebron)

Ewings looked clunky and uncomfortable, but I never tried any on.

There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Scase
RealGM

Post#28 » by Scase » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:34 pm

WaltFrazier wrote:
Reeko wrote:

Ewings looked clunky and uncomfortable, but I never tried any on.

Yeah, but you could literally do a 360 with your ankle and still somehow not roll it lol
Props TZ!
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,922

Post#29 » by Merit » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:03 pm

Sketchers at $80 vs. Nikes at $160 is where the value comes in. But even then I probably buy adidas or under armour on sale. Plus now there’s puma trying as well. And New Balance.
I believe in Masai.

Return to Toronto Raptors