ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,693

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#61 » by kingr » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:58 am

VC Well deserved! First player to make the league actually take our team seriously.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#62 » by TorontoBaller » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:14 am

Very happy for Vince.

Fantastic NBA career and he’s helped a lot of people via his charity and time along the way.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,390

Post#63 » by TorontoBaller » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:28 am

Dennis 37 wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:It's too bad vc left...but if you had peddie and babcock running the show then it's understandable

Yes it is understandable he wanted out.

It is unforgivable that he tanked his trade value. Unforgivable. You don't forgive something for which there has been no apology.

OG and Pascal knew there were trade discussions. They never tanked their trade value to either avoid a trade and stay, or to put pressure on to speed up a trade.

Please don't post any, "I remember his dunk contest, or I've seen his dunk contest highlights, so I think his jersey should be retired," crap. And please don't post and, "put us on the map," crap. Putting us on the map plus a Roll up the Rim win will get your a coffee at Tim Hortons.

1 playoff series win does not get your jersey retired.

Agreed! Well said.

Happy for Vince, but people need to relax at the Groat talk.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,262

Post#64 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:19 am

You all keep fighting the inevitable, but Vince’s jersey will hang up in the rafters soon. With this HoF announcement, you bet MLSE will want a piece of that somehow.
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#65 » by Airmiess » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:19 am

He did it, nice.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,834

Post#66 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:29 am

Vince Carter is both an NBA Hall of Fame Player being one of the most gifted players ever, and one of the biggest wastes of talent together in the same person.
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#67 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:15 pm

mowcrowbar wrote:OK so if Billups is in Kyle Lowry has a huge shot.

Lowry should easily be in.

6 time all-star, NBA champion, Olympic champion, arguably the best player ever at taking charges, will likely finish top 20 all-time in assists, top 10 in 3 pointers made, and top 50 in steals. He has the personal achievements, statistical all-time milestones and team accomplishments to make it.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,898

Post#68 » by Merit » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:57 pm

Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Please move this to Former Raptor players.

Nah. It deserves its own thread. Plus Vince said he's gonna choose the Raps as his jersey and he will be the first ever to go in the hall with a Raptors jersey on. It's big news IMO.

Best to ignore his comments, dude was saying that Stoudamire made the team cool before Vince lol

Damon was definitely a force in his time, but Vince put us on the map.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#69 » by Merit » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Vince Carter is both an NBA Hall of Fame Player being one of the most gifted players ever, and one of the biggest wastes of talent together in the same person.

Sadly true. Man could’ve been the GOAT or at least in the conversation.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Merit » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Vince Carter is both an NBA Hall of Fame Player being one of the most gifted players ever, and one of the biggest wastes of talent together in the same person.

But his character is also pretty solid and the community work he does has never been in question.
I believe in Masai.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,833

Post#71 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:01 pm

Hopefully his jersey gets retired.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,297

Post#72 » by Scase » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:49 pm

Merit wrote:
Scase wrote:
Merit wrote:
Nah. It deserves its own thread. Plus Vince said he's gonna choose the Raps as his jersey and he will be the first ever to go in the hall with a Raptors jersey on. It's big news IMO.

Best to ignore his comments, dude was saying that Stoudamire made the team cool before Vince lol

Damon was definitely a force in his time, but Vince put us on the map.

No hate on Mighty Mouse for sure, but he wasn't even in the same stratosphere of impact as Vince. I mean FFS, Vince was the leading vote getter for the ASG for like 2 years straight, and that definitely wasn't just Canadians voting :lol:
Props TZ!
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#73 » by TheGeneral99 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:00 pm

Merit wrote:

But his character is also pretty solid and the community work he does has never been in question.

Sure, his character was pretty solid until he decided to unprofessionally deliberately tank his trade value playing like crap and setting our team back for several years.

Very talented player, nice guy, was a major piece of Raptors history (especially during his peak between 1998-2002), but I wouldn't retire his jersey at all.

It's Kyle and Derozan only for me - both played here for 9 seasons...both were part of multiple 50+ win teams and deep playoff runs, both led us to our first conference finals appearance, both led the "we the north" era and the birth of Jurassic park making the Raptors a true global basketball powerhouse, both resigned with the team multiple times, both were workhorses who competed night and night out.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Post#74 » by Kingsway_fan » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:44 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
Chandan wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:And this is why Kyle should have his jersey retired in Toronto and not Wince Carter. Don't give me any more of "but,but.... he put us on the map" crap.

"If you want to lose brain cells go read Realgm" - Pensare Basketball

Another bad take.
Wince Carter fanboys all up in their feelings waiting for the day MLSE retires Wince's jersey. It's the only thing that gives their life meaning . News for ya, it ain't happening. Kyle will get his jersey retired but Wince won't be. If MLSE really wanted to retire Wince's jersey they would've done so the minute he retired.

Truth hurts I know.

Hey, Your village called... they want their idiot back.
Don’t be ashamed of who you are. That’s your parent’s job.

Warned. Personal attack.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,379

Post#75 » by visionquest » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:51 pm

Well deserved. The man did things previously unseen. And racked up 25K points.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#76 » by Tacoma » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:10 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Sure, his character was pretty solid until he decided to unprofessionally deliberately tank his trade value playing like crap and setting our team back for several years.

Very talented player, nice guy, was a major piece of Raptors history (especially during his peak between 1998-2002), but I wouldn't retire his jersey at all.

It's Kyle and Derozan only for me - both played here for 9 seasons...both were part of multiple 50+ win teams and deep playoff runs, both led us to our first conference finals appearance, both led the "we the north" era and the birth of Jurassic park making the Raptors a true global basketball powerhouse, both resigned with the team multiple times, both were workhorses who competed night and night out.

Kyle and DeRozan had each other, fellow all stars to play with, plus good supporting players to reach the ECF. Vince's best teammate was Antonio Davis who wasn't even a starter for the Pacers before he was traded here and Vince led a team of largely bench players to within 1 Game 7 buzzer beating shot of making the ECF.

Kyle/DeRozan without each other & playing with those Vince teammates would not have gone as far. So, while it's fair to criticize Vince for his tanking his value, it's unfair to cite team results to judge players. Those Babcock years had dreadful teams.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,002

Post#77 » by NinjaBro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:20 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:
Chandan wrote:
Another bad take.
Wince Carter fanboys all up in their feelings waiting for the day MLSE retires Wince's jersey. It's the only thing that gives their life meaning . News for ya, it ain't happening. Kyle will get his jersey retired but Wince won't be. If MLSE really wanted to retire Wince's jersey they would've done so the minute he retired.

Truth hurts I know.

Hey, Your village called... they want their idiot back.
Don’t be ashamed of who you are. That’s your parent’s job.
Does your nurse know you're using the computer?

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
WetLikeWater
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#78 » by WetLikeWater » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:01 pm

Honestly VC was the only superstar we ever had other than that rental that won us a ring

COngratz #15
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,833

Post#79 » by Quattro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:23 pm

Don't mind if they retire his jersey as long as it comes after Lowry and DeRozan...the guys who turned this 2 decade train wreck of a team around
D3158
Senior
And1: 341

Post#80 » by D3158 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:13 am

Duffman100 wrote:
D3158 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
haha! Can't wait for the GB reaction to this.

Sorry, I might be out of loop but how is Billups going to HOF good news for Lowry and why would GB be in shambles?

And yes, I am aware Billups played a big role when Lowry moved to play for the Raptors. Lowry was having 'trouble' accepting a backup PG role to Jose Calderone. Billups talked sense into Lowry. And Lowry flourished year after year.

Billups and Lowry have a very similar resume at the end of the day. So it's likely if Billups gets in, Lowry has a strong chance at the HOF.

The general board has mocked Raptor fans as overrating Lowry for years.

Thanks for the insight! It makes sense. Honestly I would love for him to be in HOF but I would be more than happy to have a statue outside of Scotiabank Arena or an entire street based on his name, ie. Lowryville Bvld, Lowry Avenue, etc. You get the idea 8-)

Return to Toronto Raptors