ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,270

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#41 » by Chandan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:22 pm

NinjaBro wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
haha! Can't wait for the GB reaction to this.

10 years ago today:

https://www.cp24.com/sports/toronto-raptors-news/mlse-president-marvels-at-lowry-s-healing-power-1.1759591

"Kyle has been carrying the whole burden for us all year," says Leiweke, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. "He's wearing out. Just aches and pains and finally at the end of the game we're up, and they tell him: 'That's it. You're shut down.' And they take him back to the training table and the doctor said, 'You're done. You're finished. You're done for the night. And you're done for a couple of games here .. . you gotta rest.' And then Oklahoma does their little run at the end and all of a sudden the doctor looks around and Kyle's gone.

"He's literally darted from the training room without telling the doctors, goes back on, looks at the coach and says 'I'm in,' walks back into the game, checks himself into the game. The coach knew it, the coach was like, 'Go.' And we go to two overtimes with Oklahoma. They had to sit down with him after the game finally and just say, 'Kyle, this is it. You're done. You gotta take a couple games off.'
And this is why Kyle should have his jersey retired in Toronto and not Wince Carter. Don't give me any more of "but,but.... he put us on the map" crap.

"If you want to lose brain cells go read Realgm" - Pensare Basketball

Another bad take.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,039

Post#42 » by Duffman100 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:31 pm

D3158 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
SFour wrote:Billups making it into the hof is good news for Lowry.....general board will be in shambles

Sorry, I might be out of loop but how is Billups going to HOF good news for Lowry and why would GB be in shambles?

And yes, I am aware Billups played a big role when Lowry moved to play for the Raptors. Lowry was having 'trouble' accepting a backup PG role to Jose Calderone. Billups talked sense into Lowry. And Lowry flourished year after year.

Billups and Lowry have a very similar resume at the end of the day. So it's likely if Billups gets in, Lowry has a strong chance at the HOF.

The general board has mocked Raptor fans as overrating Lowry for years.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,004

Post#43 » by NinjaBro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:46 pm

Chandan wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:
And this is why Kyle should have his jersey retired in Toronto and not Wince Carter. Don't give me any more of "but,but.... he put us on the map" crap.

Another bad take.
Wince Carter fanboys all up in their feelings waiting for the day MLSE retires Wince's jersey. It's the only thing that gives their life meaning . News for ya, it ain't happening. Kyle will get his jersey retired but Wince won't be. If MLSE really wanted to retire Wince's jersey they would've done so the minute he retired.

Truth hurts I know.

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Post#44 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:51 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
D3158 wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

Sorry, I might be out of loop but how is Billups going to HOF good news for Lowry and why would GB be in shambles?

And yes, I am aware Billups played a big role when Lowry moved to play for the Raptors. Lowry was having 'trouble' accepting a backup PG role to Jose Calderone. Billups talked sense into Lowry. And Lowry flourished year after year.

Billups and Lowry have a very similar resume at the end of the day. So it's likely if Billups gets in, Lowry has a strong chance at the HOF.

The general board has mocked Raptor fans as overrating Lowry for years.

If anything Lowry was underrated for years and he should've been named to more all-nba teams. His game is just more subtle than most and sometimes his impact didn't always show up through counting stats. The Raps racked up 50+ win season after 50+ win season with Lowry being statistically the most important player on those teams.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,301

Post#45 » by ruckus » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:58 pm

I'm not a fan of Vince and I've let go of the grudges especially since the championship but it's pretty emblematic of his career that the tag line to the tweet in OP is "greatest dunker of all time".

He could have been so much more. If you had asked someone in 2003 what VC's career would have ended up being 20 years from now? Expectations would have been set much higher than 21st in scoring over 22 seasons especially when the majority of the players in front of him had higher scoring totals in less games.

Greatest dunker. That should have been his icing on the top, not the leading statement.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,525

Post#46 » by Scase » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:26 pm

Merit wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:Please move this to Former Raptor players.

Nah. It deserves its own thread. Plus Vince said he's gonna choose the Raps as his jersey and he will be the first ever to go in the hall with a Raptors jersey on. It's big news IMO.

Best to ignore his comments, dude was saying that Stoudamire made the team cool before Vince lol
Props TZ!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,923

Post#47 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:44 pm

Need a night where these 4 get their jerseys in the rafters.

1. VC
2. Derozan
3. Lowry
4. Leonard
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,955

Post#48 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:51 pm

ruckus wrote:I'm not a fan of Vince and I've let go of the grudges especially since the championship but it's pretty emblematic of his career that the tag line to the tweet in OP is "greatest dunker of all time".

He could have been so much more. If you had asked someone in 2003 what VC's career would have ended up being 20 years from now? Expectations would have been set much higher than 21st in scoring over 22 seasons especially when the majority of the players in front of him had higher scoring totals in less games.

Greatest dunker. That should have been his icing on the top, not the leading statement.

Yes - in the early 2000s there were legitimate debates between Vince and Kobe.

Vince is one of the most talented players I've ever seen but he didn't have the work-ethic, competitiveness, drive to be one of the true all-time greats. Just such a frustrating player to watch at his peak because you could see some games he literally could do whatever he wanted and other games he would be extremely passive and settle for dumb outside jumpers.

Yeah he had a nice career, his longevity is incredibly impressive, but he should have been a top 50 player of all-time and he's not close to even the top 100.

This is a great article from 2000 that really sums it up - https://vault.si.com/vault/2001/01/29/semi-tough-the-raptors-vince-carter-has-star-power-to-burn-but-can-he-stoke-up-the-competitive-fire-that-rages-in-the-games-elite-players

He has produced an astonishing run that showcases exactly the quality that makes him rare--yet he remains suspect. Because he needed Bryant to provoke him. Because Carter got angry, says Raptors forward Antonio Davis, and it changed everything, and there are too many days when Carter doesn't get angry enough. "Vince needs to find something that's going to motivate him to be as aggressive as he is when he's mad," says Davis. "Because when he's not, he's a totally different player."

This is the common complaint about Carter. Oakley is driven to distraction whenever he sees Carter grinning and slapping hands with opponents before games, and if the folks in Chapel Hill had seen this Tar Heel before a recent game, hugging Ur-Dukie Christian Laettner, they might have burned that Carter jersey they just retired. "Kobe ain't dealing with other teams' guys," Oakley says. Even Carter's IMG agent, a former player named Merle Scott, calls his client "too nice."

Vince reminds me a lot of Dwight Howard, very similar careers.
Grandia
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,547

Post#49 » by Grandia » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:58 pm

Why are there some people here acting like this good news is bad news?
I hate pineapples.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#50 » by TheRealDeal » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:28 pm

We drafted three future hall of famers in our first nine years as a franchise and all three left in their prime. Yet we still won a championship. It’s been one hell of a ride
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,040

Post#51 » by kalel123 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:33 pm

ruckus wrote:I'm not a fan of Vince and I've let go of the grudges especially since the championship but it's pretty emblematic of his career that the tag line to the tweet in OP is "greatest dunker of all time".

He's the poster child of someone who did bare minimum when he had so much. His longevity is a testament to some of this. His god-given physical talent to allow him to last that long, which would've allowed him to do so much more if he had any kind of pride. Lack-of-which is apparent by the fact that he was happy enough to be just hanging on for so long without doing much in the latter years.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,073

Post#52 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:53 pm

Ganjamayne wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
Ganjamayne wrote:So he'll go in as a Raptor correct?

Going in as a member of a team is just a baseball thing.

Okay yeah I get all the HOFs mixed up at this point Lol

Baseball is the one where they wear caps.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,073

Post#53 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 3, 2024 10:57 pm

kalel123 wrote:

He's the poster child of someone who did bare minimum when he had so much. His longevity is a testament to some of this. His god-given physical talent to allow him to last that long, which would've allowed him to do so much more if he had any kind of pride. Lack-of-which is apparent by the fact that he was happy enough to be just hanging on for so long without doing much in the latter years.

Yup no pride, no killer instinct, limited playoff success because of it. The longevity is impressive for sure. But even that combined with how he did not ring chase, but was just content to go play for non-contenders, is a sign he didn't care enough about winning.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
adubmac
Junior
And1: 669

Post#54 » by adubmac » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:06 pm

I'm happy for Vince. I still have conflicted feelings due to how he left and his unfulfilled potential, but he was easily the most exciting Raptor in history and gave this franchise hope for the first time.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#55 » by The Duke » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:16 am

Good
Air Canada deserves to be in the HOF.
And yes he should speak alot about Toronto and his career and accomplishments as a Raptor.
We will share in his glory as a HOF inductee
VC15Era
Bench Warmer
And1: 865

Post#56 » by VC15Era » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:33 am

Everything should be forgotten he put Toronto on the NBA Map, he was the most popular and exciting player from 1998 to 2002. His jersey should be retired as a Raptor. I am sure Vince regrets how **** went down looking back at things. If only he had the drive to be the best player he could of been. Could of been a top 10 player of all time.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,973

Post#57 » by wegotthabeet » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:32 am

GROAT
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,191

Post#58 » by mowcrowbar » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:30 am

OK so if Billups is in Kyle Lowry has a huge shot.
dublo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 440

Post#59 » by dublo7 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:44 am

:nod: Good and expected news. Congrats VS and thanks for the memories and the dunks. Guess we'll hear about this during the rest of this seasons' broadcasts and maybe next season too, watching the Raps develop.
Amen. :rockon: :meditate:
Free advice is seldom cheap. ROA#59
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,252

Post#60 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:48 am

God Squad wrote:Vince Carter pretty much made me a Raptor fan. Lots of ups, plenty of downs. He pretty much made the Raptors "cool", regardless of what people say in retrospect.

No one denies this. Doesn't exonerate him for his transgressions though imo. None the less, absolutely deserves to make the Hall. So congrats to him and Billups.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.

Return to Toronto Raptors