ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,891

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5 

Post#121 » by Kingsway_fan » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:45 am

kieferli wrote:I am crying after watch the half time show today , we need to retire this man jersey

Yep. 66 now, but was a day 1 season ticket holder up until 2004... He was unbelievable... a true generational superstar... a thrill to go to games expecting ohh and ahhh. He rarely disappointed.

Wish we had a Masai back then to surround him with talent.... top 5 all-time scorer for his 1st decade in the NBA. TOP 10 ALL-TIME 3 point scorer in the NBA... top NBA allstar vote getter one season... ambassador for the city and the country....

Thanks Vince.. time to raise #15....
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,578

Post#122 » by 2019nbachamps » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:52 am

Tacoma wrote:
2019nbachamps wrote:To put things into perspective, Raps maxed out at 47 wins in the Vince era and won a grand total of one playoff series (a best of 5). He was a special talent that lacked the drive to elevate himself and those around him. I lived through every second of his era and do not understand the nostalgia. He was the super smart classmate who slacked off and got Cs and Ds. Nothing to celebrate.

To put things into more perspective...

Vince led that 47-win team & playoff series win (within 1 buzzer shot in Game 7 to make the ECF) with these playoff starters: A. Davis, C. Oakley (38 yrs old), A. Williams & C. Childs. Kawhi would not have gone further with those teammates.

As for nostalgia... from remembering going into the NBA Store on 5th Ave. 20 min walk from MSG where the Knicks played and seeing Raptors #15 jersey at their front entrance; from seeing the best ever slam dunk contest with Vince in a Toronto jersey; from sold out stadiums of lottery teams that otherwise would be half empty and their fans cheering for Vince; from ESPN's weekly Vince highlight reels those days; from visiting Europe and people there saying Vince's name upon hearing I'm from Toronto.

Other than the Kawhi championship year, Vinsanity were some of the enjoyable times in Raptors history when Toronto was on the map. Maybe this tells more about the sad state of Raptors history, but it was what it was and Vince's Toronto link was something.

Yes the team was bad but Vince had a role to play. He pressured Grunwald to get win now players. Grunwald loaded up on washed vets who he often overpaid for (2 1sts for Kevin Willis; Camby for Oakley). Then he doubled down and traded for Hakeem. Vince then became childish and gave up on the team he helped construct.

When he left Toronto he was surrounded by better supporting casts. The Nets were also limited but prime Jason Kidd and RJ were better than anything Vince had on Toronto. What did he achieve there in a very weak Eastern Conference? Nothing once again.
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#123 » by plainballing » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:25 pm

I am not sure why fans are still upset about him. I get the part he left and he gave up on the team...but this was 20 years ago and friends growing up in my neighbourhood all fight to call themselves Vince Carter than Kobe Bryant. That's the impact on Vince back then and being a Raptors fan was the new cool stuff back then.

This man need his jersey retire. Now, GROAT to this date is still Lowry. Fire at will guys.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Post#124 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:30 pm

plainballing wrote:I am not sure why fans are still upset about him. I get the part he left and he gave up on the team...

I think you actually do know why fans might be upset about him.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,224

Post#125 » by niQ » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:34 pm

TheRealDeal wrote:48k likes. Are you listening MLSE?
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=8Evds9QVC4TEL0DTgBuPLg

I think that new logo is FIRE!

Or do the kids say GAS nowadays.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,002

Post#126 » by NinjaBro » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:35 pm

2019nbachamps wrote:To put things into perspective, Raps maxed out at 47 wins in the Vince era and won a grand total of one playoff series (a best of 5). He was a special talent that lacked the drive to elevate himself and those around him. I lived through every second of his era and do not understand the nostalgia. He was the super smart classmate who slacked off and got Cs and Ds. Nothing to celebrate.
What's so hard to understand? The nostalgia is coming from people with low self esteem and no self respect who saw ESPN mention Toronto on their broadcasts. "Toronto! Yayyyyy they said Toronto, that's where we live. Toronto, yayyy he said Toronto."

Imagine meeting a Serbian and saying "hey I know Nikola Jokic, fat kid who worked his butt off and won multiple times MVP, finals MVP and NBA champion in small market and stayed with the franchise through thick and thin.

Now imagine someone meeting a person from Toronto. "Hey, I know Vince Carter, slam dunk champion..... And uhhh uhhh"

Embarrassing

We need to trade Siakam for AJ Griffen before it's too late! - PhilBlackson
TheGeneral99
Starter
And1: 2,772

Post#127 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:48 pm

plainballing wrote:I am not sure why fans are still upset about him. I get the part he left and he gave up on the team...but this was 20 years ago and friends growing up in my neighbourhood all fight to call themselves Vince Carter than Kobe Bryant. That's the impact on Vince back then and being a Raptors fan was the new cool stuff back then.

This man need his jersey retire. Now, GROAT to this date is still Lowry. Fire at will guys.

Personally, I don't hate Vince...I just don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired here.

First, he never really accomplished anything significant in terms of winning apart from the 2001 playoff run. In his 7 years with the franchise we made the playoff 3 times and got bounced in the 1st round twice. In 2002, the team actually made a playoff run when he was hurt.

Second, when you leave in such an unprofessional way by deliberately tanking your trade value by playing intentionally bad, that isn't something that should be rewarded.

Vince definitely did some great things and was an important part of Raptors history. He was the most electric player in the league for a brief period of time while wearing our jersey and is the greatest dunker of all time. He should be commended for that and applauded for making the hall of fame, but that's about it.
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#128 » by plainballing » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:52 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
plainballing wrote:I am not sure why fans are still upset about him. I get the part he left and he gave up on the team...

I mean, I get the upset part not sure about the still upset part...it has been so long...
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
TheGeneral99
Starter

Post#129 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:53 pm

Tacoma wrote:

To put things into more perspective...

Vince led that 47-win team & playoff series win (within 1 buzzer shot in Game 7 to make the ECF) with these playoff starters: A. Davis, C. Oakley (38 yrs old), A. Williams & C. Childs. Kawhi would not have gone further with those teammates.

As for nostalgia... from remembering going into the NBA Store on 5th Ave. 20 min walk from MSG where the Knicks played and seeing Raptors #15 jersey at their front entrance; from seeing the best ever slam dunk contest with Vince in a Toronto jersey; from sold out stadiums of lottery teams that otherwise would be half empty and their fans cheering for Vince; from ESPN's weekly Vince highlight reels those days; from visiting Europe and people there saying Vince's name upon hearing I'm from Toronto.

Other than the Kawhi championship year, Vinsanity were some of the enjoyable times in Raptors history when Toronto was on the map. Maybe this tells more about the sad state of Raptors history, but it was what it was and Vince's Toronto link was something.

Vince's peak from 1999-2002 was definitely one of the most exciting periods in franchise history.

However, I actually thought that the "we the north era" from 2014-2020 was the best period in franchise history, culminating in that 2019 championship. Also, 2020 was definitely my favorite year as a Raptors fan...that team was just a joy to watch...**** sucks we had COVID-19 ruin that momentum because that team was really special.
TheGeneral99
Starter

Post#130 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:03 pm

plainballing wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

I mean, I get the upset part not sure about the still upset part...it has been so long...

Personally, I'm not still upset at Vince, I just don't think he deserves his jersey retired.

I'm not going to boo him or anything if he comes to Raptors games.

I think that loyalty, work-ethic, length of success, length of production etc. should be the main factors considered here. When you compare it to someone like Lowry who was a two-way bulldog, great leader, incredible work-ethic, who competed every night and led our team to multiple 50+ win seasons and deep playoff runs over a 9 year span it's not even close.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,641

Post#131 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:43 pm

plainballing wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

It has been so long. But considering the fact that it's been so long and some people still love him and whatnot, why would some people still be sour at how he left or look back on how he actually performed here with a little less nostalgia?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,281

Post#132 » by brownbobcat » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:30 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
plainballing wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

It has been so long. But considering the fact that it's been so long and some people still love him and whatnot, why would some people still be sour at how he left or look back on how he actually performed here with a little less nostalgia?

I think you have to take the good with the bad. Yes, he tanked his way out of here. He also put the team on the map and brought in a ton of fans and created a level of excitement that was unmatched for nearly 10 years after he left. He never lived up to his potential as a player but that's his cross to bear. At the end of the day, you can't tell the story of this franchise without VC.

Basketball HOF? I think their standards are a little low, but that's up to them. I wouldn't have guys like CWebb or VC in there.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,576

Post#133 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:36 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

The word would be lit

In Raptor Ball I Trust
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,394

Post#134 » by tdotrep2 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:40 pm

bring back the raptor
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,189

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#135 » by God Squad » Mon Apr 8, 2024 4:50 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=0YpMScWXY2zRUqR8fH-usg

Zero percent chance. They’ll just have Purple City Edition jerseys next season.

Naw. Heard rumblings they doing a big rebrand for this new era

Thank god, I was growing tired of the red and white/OvO gold. I am a big fan of the retro purple colour scheme.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,493

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#136 » by WuTang_OG » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:07 pm

God Squad wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Zero percent chance. They’ll just have Purple City Edition jerseys next season.

Naw. Heard rumblings they doing a big rebrand for this new era

Thank god, I was growing tired of the red and white/OvO gold. I am a big fan of the retro purple colour scheme.

what u dont like watermelon?
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,996

Post#137 » by Coco Costanza » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:17 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Clearly is not going to be the actual logo moving forward, though.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,906

Post#138 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:27 pm

Coco Costanza wrote:
niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Clearly is not going to be the actual logo moving forward, though.

He should be though.

Read on Twitter

The Carter Effect.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,906

Post#139 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:29 pm

I started watching this team in 2004.
Unfortunately, I missed the VC era but I doubt I would've even heard of the Raps if it wasn't for how popular they became because of VC.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheGeneral99
Starter

Post#140 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 6:35 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:I started watching this team in 2004.
Unfortunately, I missed the VC era but I doubt I would've even heard of the Raps if it wasn't for how popular they became because of VC.

Lol what?

You wouldn't heard of the Raptors?

Return to Toronto Raptors