ImageImageImageImageImage

Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,354

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame // New Logo ? Pg. 5 

Post#101 » by TOStateofMind » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:35 am

Gonna assume they'll have the 00s purple jerseys as a retro next season
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,264

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#102 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:40 am

maternal85 wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:You all keep fighting the inevitable, but Vince’s jersey will hang up in the rafters soon. With this HoF announcement, you bet MLSE will want a piece of that somehow.

People don't understand the NBA is a business. To have 2 former HOF's ( Lowry is a lock), and a championship, the franchise has finally matured. It'll be easier to market the team even during losing seasons, and will increase the teams overal value.

I remember going to Houston to visit my cousin and her husband. I decided to attend a Rockets game. They were still marketing Hakeem and their 2 titles. They were also marketing Ming and Howard along Hakeem. The team has horrible that year. My point is, they'll retire VC jersey, even if it's only just from a marketing standpoint, along with making extra money on his jersey sales.

Yup, jersey retirement, renovated Scotiabank Arena, and a rumoured rebrand will help erase this current season’s failures.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#103 » by The Duke » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:20 am

DD is not going to be inducted into the NBA HOF.
They coming consider Raptor retirement, but I hope not.
basketballto
Ballboy
And1: 30

Re: Vince Carter elected to Hall of Fame 

Post#104 » by basketballto » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:29 am

kingr wrote:VC Well deserved! First player to make the league actually take our team seriously.

That was Oakley.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,955

Post#105 » by CPT » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:35 am

The Duke wrote:DD is not going to be inducted into the NBA HOF.
They coming consider Raptor retirement, but I hope not.

?

He's going to be flirting with top 20 all-time scoring, and the NBA HOF isn't exactly exclusive. He's getting in.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,955

Post#106 » by CPT » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:38 am

That logo is cool for a t-shirt or something, but there's no chance it becomes the official team logo.
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,532

Post#107 » by GP2 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:21 am

I'm not totally against putting his jersey in the rafters, but I also think the point against it is stronger. It kinda just sets the precedent that you can dog it and take an enormous dump on the way out.

Yeah, I know it's been literal decades, blah blah. But I always think these honours should be way more exclusive than they are. Everyone calls it the Hall of Very Good for a reason.

If I remember correctly, the Grizzlies are honouring the Grit 'N Grind Grizzlies core four (Marc Gasol, Randolph, Conley, Tony Allen), so I guess it's all relative.
TheRealDeal
RealGM
And1: 11,823

Post#108 » by TheRealDeal » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:25 am

48k likes. Are you listening MLSE?
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=8Evds9QVC4TEL0DTgBuPLg
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,746

Post#109 » by metafisical » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:57 am

What an ugly logo tbh. It registered with me 20 years ago, but it looks too childish now. Oh well, I never buy Raps merchandise anyways, so I don't care what logo they use.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,580

Post#110 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:11 pm

metafisical wrote:What an ugly logo tbh. It registered with me 20 years ago, but it looks too childish now. Oh well, I never buy Raps merchandise anyways, so I don't care what logo they use.

We have always had terrible branding. However that Vince logo is pretty sweet imo.
Jay240
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#111 » by Jay240 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:24 pm

That logo is probably for the sake of celebrating Vince's HOF induction and subsequent jersey retirement. I'll guess it'll probably be next year. The team will wear those jerseys the night they retire his jersey and maybe a few times through the season for ongoing marketing and sales.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,264

Post#112 » by Raptorfan2012 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:34 pm

CPT wrote:That logo is cool for a t-shirt or something, but there's no chance it becomes the official team logo.

Its most likely not. I forgot if it was officially reported or just rumored but the Raptors are going to rebrand after this season to celebrate their 30th anniversary. This goes with the renovation of Scotiabank arena this summer. It will truly issue our new era with probably BBQ and whatever young major assets we get this offseason front and center.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#113 » by MavCarter » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:34 pm

Please get rid of the watermelon and bring the dino back. From a branding perspective the raptors brand has looked cheap and ugly for too long
#Enjoytheride
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,498

Post#114 » by WuTang_OG » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:56 pm

MavCarter wrote:Please get rid of the watermelon and bring the dino back. From a branding perspective the raptors brand has looked cheap and ugly for too long

Agreed. Its been garbage. Only good thing was we the north
DangerZone13
Senior
And1: 685

Post#115 » by DangerZone13 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:15 pm

Congrats to Vince. Abovet everything else, I remember watching him get drafted as a kid, yelling with joy during that dunk contest, and a vivid memory of him and Mo Pete celebrating. Vince really did inspire a new wave of Canadian basketball fans, and despite everything else, we can be thankful for that. If not for him bringing so much fanfare to the team, it could very easily have been a Vancouver Grizzlies situation.

Of course, I'm mid-30's and jaded now, and see how the ensuing jersey retirement coinciding with the 30th anniversary is a marketing ploy above all else.
If there is a rebrand, please for the love of ball, please let there be zigzag pinstripes. Most of all, bring back the purple with the red/white/black! The 3 colour trim on the original jerseys is iconic - there's a way to update that that along with the zigzags, makes for a jersey that is both modern and pays tribute to team history, rather than the bland "could be any team" crap that's been on display the last stretch.
:banghead: "Calling out trolls" by quoting them makes YOU part of the problem to those wise enough to use the Ignore button. Please don't add to board pollution.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#116 » by hype_2004 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:29 pm

TRik wrote:The amount of people needing to say congratulations but he still sucks is hilarious. Like he made the HOF…this is a really nice thing, time to put your 20 years ago feels aside.

Congrats on the Hall of Fame induction but f him for leaving the city dry. The logo is sick, Vince will be remembered for that Epic 2000 dunk contest and his exploits in the 2000 Olympics but that's about it, which pretty much sums up his career that went from the most popular player in the world during his time with the Raptors to a forgettable journeyman in the latter stages.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#117 » by hype_2004 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:34 pm

Jay240 wrote:That logo is probably for the sake of celebrating Vince's HOF induction and subsequent jersey retirement. I'll guess it'll probably be next year. The team will wear those jerseys the night they retire his jersey and maybe a few times through the season for ongoing marketing and sales.

Make no bones about it they will retire his Jersey and implement this new logo for profits and the casuals will eat it up. The marketing department was brilliant in concocting this new strategy and MLSE in the end only cares about the bottomline. If they can't make money from Vince they probably won't even acknowledge and retire his Jersey, Tanenbaum still has a grudge for the way things ended a couple of decades ago.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,084

Post#118 » by kieferli » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:23 pm

I am crying after watch the half time show today , we need to retire this man jersey
Credit:Clutch0z24
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,580

Post#119 » by 2019nbachamps » Sun Apr 7, 2024 11:34 pm

To put things into perspective, Raps maxed out at 47 wins in the Vince era and won a grand total of one playoff series (a best of 5). He was a special talent that lacked the drive to elevate himself and those around him. I lived through every second of his era and do not understand the nostalgia. He was the super smart classmate who slacked off and got Cs and Ds. Nothing to celebrate.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,888

Post#120 » by Tacoma » Mon Apr 8, 2024 3:04 am

2019nbachamps wrote:To put things into perspective, Raps maxed out at 47 wins in the Vince era and won a grand total of one playoff series (a best of 5). He was a special talent that lacked the drive to elevate himself and those around him. I lived through every second of his era and do not understand the nostalgia. He was the super smart classmate who slacked off and got Cs and Ds. Nothing to celebrate.

To put things into more perspective...

Vince led that 47-win team & playoff series win (within 1 buzzer shot in Game 7 to make the ECF) with these playoff starters: A. Davis, C. Oakley (38 yrs old), A. Williams & C. Childs. Kawhi would not have gone further with those teammates.

As for nostalgia... from remembering going into the NBA Store on 5th Ave. 20 min walk from MSG where the Knicks played and seeing Raptors #15 jersey at their front entrance; from seeing the best ever slam dunk contest with Vince in a Toronto jersey; from sold out stadiums of lottery teams that otherwise would be half empty and their fans cheering for Vince; from ESPN's weekly Vince highlight reels those days; from visiting Europe and people there saying Vince's name upon hearing I'm from Toronto.

Other than the Kawhi championship year, Vinsanity were some of the enjoyable times in Raptors history when Toronto was on the map. Maybe this tells more about the sad state of Raptors history, but it was what it was and Vince's Toronto link was something.

Return to Toronto Raptors