ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#261 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:58 pm

Reeko wrote:Probably unfair to judge him off of this single extremely high pressure game, but Castle did nothing to standout. Did Edey's presence deter him from driving? Also looked hesitant shooting. I would take Holland and Sheppard ahead of him, based on the limited information that I have.

He didn't look to attack his man just go with the flow of the offense as a freshman.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,353

Post#262 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:06 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
The list is a lot longer than Boban.

Boban is only comparable in terms of size. Boban wasn't skilled enough to be a NBA player. That's why he barely got of the bench.

I think you can very easily make the argument that Boban (at least when he was in his physical prime and not age 35) is a more skilled version of Edey.

Edey is more skilled than Boban.

Not from what I've seen and I've seen quite a bit of him over the past 2 years.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#263 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:09 pm

Reeko wrote:Probably unfair to judge him off of this single extremely high pressure game, but Castle did nothing to standout. Did Edey's presence deter him from driving? Also looked hesitant shooting. I would take Holland and Sheppard ahead of him, based on the limited information that I have.

He didn't take the wide open three, and faked to make a drive. That was telling. Yet his defence was stellar. I actually thought Purdue's PG Smith played pretty well considering the defence Castle played on him.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#264 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:12 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:

Interestingly Leo compared Edey to Boban. Which struck me as bizarre. But admittedly I don't recall watching a younger Boban.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#265 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:22 pm

It's actually quite annoying to see & hear so many people hating on Edey for no reason.

Toronto kid so I'm riding with him.

Hope he proves the doubters wrong. He definitely hears the naysayers, since they're everywhere.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#266 » by NotMyKawhi » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:28 pm

Sarr
Zach
Rob
Ron
Reed
Topic
Castle
Cody
Jakobe
Matas
Clingan
France guy
Dalton

Clear top 13

Beat the pacers tonight
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,029

Post#267 » by NotMyKawhi » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:29 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:Sarr
Zach
Rob
Ron
Reed
Topic
Castle
Cody
Jakobe
Matas
Clingan
France guy
Dalton

Clear top 13

Beat the pacers tonight

chances are somoene whitmore style drops to 16 or 17. We gotta take him
Psubs
RealGM

Post#268 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:36 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:
NotMyKawhi wrote:Sarr
Zach
Rob
Ron
Reed
Topic
Castle
Cody
Jakobe
Matas
Clingan
France guy
Dalton

Clear top 13

Beat the pacers tonight

chances are somoene whitmore style drops to 16 or 17. We gotta take him

Ja'Kobe Walter I could see dropping with the way he finished the season. 38/34/79

Now looks like a dime a dozen SG that can be had for the MLE. Just sign someone like that.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#269 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:46 pm

Would Atlanta trade #10 and #18 for #6 and #31?

Holland, Carrington and DaSilva

PG IQ - Carrington/JFL
SG Dick - Holland/Carrington
SF Barrett - Holland/Ochai
PF Barnes - DaSilva/Boucher
C Poeltl - Olynyk - MinFA
AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,599

Post#270 » by AbC? » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:50 pm

Edey is going to be a solid NBA player and the overemphasis on his weaknesses is silly. Good touch, massive roll target, bigger and stronger than nearly every NBA center, will set crushing space creating screens. Mobility is good for a human being his size. Started playing basketball late but clearly has a good basketball IQ.

At worst he’s a situational role player and has potential to be a solid starter on the right team. If the NBA drops the defensive 3 second rule at some point his value goes up.

Whether he’s worth the Indiana pick IDK, haven’t looked at this draft at all.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#271 » by Mark_83 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:56 pm

Edey and Ware (to a lesser extent) don't seem like the kind of centers Darko prefers for his system. Our current three centers (including Gambles Porter) are all high IQ, skilled, and high-level passers. Ware is skilled but questionable with the other two things, and Edey is a terrible passer from the post, let alone the high post. He has trouble reading double teams and finding the open man. In the championship game he had zero assists and 3 turnovers despite all the attention being on him by the defense.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#272 » by Mark_83 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:00 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:It's actually quite annoying to see & hear so many people hating on Edey for no reason.

Hope he proves the doubters wrong. He definitely hears the naysayers, since they're everywhere.

Define hate. No one "hates" Edey. They either don't think he's a good fit for the team, or believe there's a potentially better player at the pick he's likely to be available at. That's not hate.

The chatter around Caitlyn Clark? Now, that has been a lot of actual hate for no reason.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,904

Post#273 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:04 pm

Mark_83 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:It's actually quite annoying to see & hear so many people hating on Edey for no reason.

Define hate. No one "hates" Edey. They either dont think he's a good fit, or believe there's a potentially better player at the pick he's likely to be available at. That's not hate.

Social media.

I'm well aware of what "hate" is.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,713

Post#274 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:07 pm

Mark_83 wrote:Edey and Ware (to a lesser extent) don't seem like the kind of centers Darko prefers for his system. Our current three centers (including Gambles Porter) are all high IQ, skilled, and high-level passers. Ware is skilled but questionable with the other two things, and Edey is a terrible passer from the post, let alone the high post. He has trouble reading double teams and finding the open man. In the championship game he had zero assists and 3 turnovers despite all the attention being on him by the defense.

Gonna disagree with you there, his doubles recognition is sometimes a bit slow but pretty good overall. None of Purdue's guards could create their own shot (maybe Smith aside) and yet Purdue had the highest 3pt % in college. That's all owing to his kickouts to the open corner man on the strong side.

Yesterday he was guarded mostly single-coverage by the 7'2 Clingan who is generally mocked as top 10 and is bigger than most NBA centres himself, so the kickouts weren't there and the **** Purdue guards were completely neutered from the 3. And he still abused Clingan for the most part. When Clingan was out, Edey went to town on the smaller guys, but Purdue just couldn't stop anyone on D.
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#275 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:09 pm

Mark_83 wrote:

Define hate. No one "hates" Edey. They either don't think he's a good fit for the team, or believe there's a potentially better player at the pick he's likely to be available at. That's not hate.

The chatter around Caitlyn Clark? Now, that has been a lot of actual hate for no reason.

Tons of idiots on social media calling him a bust, claiming "oh he's just bigger than everyone", as though being bigger than everyone isn't an asset in basketball in itself.
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#276 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:11 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:
The list is a lot longer than Boban.

Boban is only comparable in terms of size. Boban wasn't skilled enough to be a NBA player. That's why he barely got of the bench.

I think you can very easily make the argument that Boban (at least when he was in his physical prime and not age 35) is a more skilled version of Edey.

Not to mention that Boban was gassed after 5 minutes whereas Edey plays the entire 40. Edey also plays mean, whereas Boban was a gentle giant (not what you want on the court).

The entire comparison is super lazy. I'm not surprised that Leo would make it.
Kurtz
RealGM

Post#277 » by Kurtz » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:16 pm

Lots of mouths to feed in UCONN. They have five first-round picks and a deep bench besides. Castle takes on the defensive stopper role on that team due to their over-abundance of offensive talent. If he can figure out his 3 point shooting he's a stud.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by Mark_83 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:17 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Mark_83 wrote:

Tons of idiots on social media calling him a bust, claiming "oh he's just bigger than everyone", as though being bigger than everyone isn't an asset in basketball in itself.

He probably should have been more specific then, because he's not posting his response on social media but here on the board in the midst of discussion about Edey. The implication being thar people here are hating on him, which I haven't seen from even the most vocal no-Edey contingent.

As far as being bigger than everyone being an asset in basketball, that's precisely the point. He won't be significantly bigger than everyone in the NBA where you got guys like Embiid, Joker, Zubac, Jonas, Gobert, Adams, Nurkic, Ayton, Vucevic, Allen, Turner, who are at least as big, and that's just the good players. Many teams also have bigs on their benches for situational matchups like Queta, Kessler, McGee, Drummond, Jordan, Williams, etc.
Stromile12
Head Coach
And1: 13,240

Post#279 » by Stromile12 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:19 pm

Edey will be a raptor if he's around with the Pacers pick, whether we like it or not.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#280 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:25 pm

More toolsey than Edey and Clingan. Ivisic is more raw but has more potential as a pro to be a starter like Chet. Might be a better 3pt shooter than Wemby. :D

Trade 17 and 31 for 22 and 25.

Reed Sheppard
Tristan DaSilva
Zvonimir Ivisic

PG IQ - Reed - JFL
SG Dick - Reed
SF Barrett - Ochai/DaSilva
PF Barnes - DaSilva/Boucher
C Poeltl - Olynyk - Ivisic

Return to Toronto Raptors