ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,471

Re: 2024 NBA DRAFT THREAD 3 

Post#641 » by mtcan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:47 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
mtcan wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:
Read on Twitter

Man...those international defences that can't close out on a guy with that slow a shot release...nah...not gonna get those off in the NBA.

That's never happened, someone not getting their shot off in the NBA, + he's 6'9

Ok fine...they get their shot off but it gets blocked or misses badly because they don't have the time to get a good shot off because the other team's defence is dumb enough not to put a body on a guy's who already hit a couple of wide open 3s. And no...having 5'10 guy running out at him at the last second in desperation isn't defence. :lol:

My main point is that the shot release looks slow. As effective as it looks in a highlight package...it might not be all that practical in an NBA game situation where the speed of the game is faster and defences are a bit more physical and smarter.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#642 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:56 pm

mtcan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
mtcan wrote:Man...those international defences that can't close out on a guy with that slow a shot release...nah...not gonna get those off in the NBA.

That's never happened, someone not getting their shot off in the NBA, + he's 6'9

Ok fine...they get their shot off but it gets blocked or misses badly because they don't have the time to get a good shot off because the other team's defence is dumb enough not to put a body on a guy's who already hit a couple of wide open 3s. And no...having 5'10 guy running out at him at the last second in desperation isn't defence. :lol:

My main point is that the shot release looks slow. As effective as it looks in a highlight package...it might not be all that practical in an NBA game situation where the speed of the game is faster and defences are a bit more physical and smarter.

If Josh giddey can get his shot off, he'll be alright. He's not a finish product either, 6'9 with his tools and a jumper that works is worth investing in. He's gonna get picked in the teens,

In Raptor Ball I Trust
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#643 » by goinrogue » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 pm

tanuki1031 wrote:
MainEvent wrote:
alpngso wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Masai is locked in.
‘With the 18th pick. the Raptors select Ulrich Chomche from NBA Academy Africa’

Is Masai friends with his dad tho?

No, but Masai was integral to helping the family file the adoption papers for their family dog so the loyalty is there.

NBA Africa academy? A guarantee? Ugh oh I hope it’s not us but this has Masai’s name written ALL over it
RoteSchroder
Junior
And1: 208

Post#644 » by RoteSchroder » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 am

mtcan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
mtcan wrote:Man...those international defences that can't close out on a guy with that slow a shot release...nah...not gonna get those off in the NBA.

I think speed of shot release matters a bit less when you're long and 6'9. Scottie's release is pretty slow too.

I'm more so concerned about Salaun's b-ball IQ, feel for the game, defensive footwork. He also doesn't have a stand out skill yet (aside from being long and athletic).
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,207

Post#645 » by Mark_83 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:27 am

RoteSchroder wrote:
mtcan wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:

I think speed of shot release matters a bit less when you're long and 6'9. Scottie's release is pretty slow too.

I'm more so concerned about Salaun's b-ball IQ, feel for the game, defensive footwork. He also doesn't have a stand out skill yet (aside from being long and athletic).

Salaun also has a ridiculously high release and arc to his shot. But, we're talking about an 18 year old here. He's going to smooth out whatever wrinkles are in his shot under professional coaching, so worrying about speed at this stage seems like an over reaction. I'd be more worried if he wasn't making them or his shot looked broken.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,746

Post#646 » by metafisical » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

alpngso wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Masai is locked in.
‘With the 18th pick. the Raptors select Ulrich Chomche from NBA Academy Africa’

Probably: "with the 6th pick in the 2024 NBA draft, the Raptors select Ulrich Chomche...".

Masai: "I didn't want to miss out on the next Caboclo...".
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#647 » by Dalek » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:48 am

I think it is nitpicking when you look at a 18 year-old prospect and say his shot is too slow, or he is too upright on defense. Salaun is not going to be Luka Doncic or Paul George, but he can be a very impactful win. He reminds me of what the Wiz do well with: Deni Avdija, Rui Hachimura and most recently Bilal Coulibaly.

Being 6'8 and having a good body and potential for three level scoring is good enough when you are that young. This kid is playing professionally for a while now so I think he will become a special player - kind of a nice player to slot with Barnes playing 3/4 interchangeably.

Him and Pacome Dadiet are going to be around our Pacers pick and both are equally interesting players. I might prefer Salaum because he looks more aggressive and filled out, but these two are so close to each other.
CazOnReal
Senior
And1: 446

Post#648 » by CazOnReal » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 am

I have yet to see someone explain how a backcourt of Topic/IQ isn't going to be a problem for the Raptors already terrible defense.

Like, i'm sorry, beyond stunting IQ's development as a PG (How do you expect him to become a better floor general if he's not the lead PG/secondary playmaker next to Barnes and has to defer to Topic?) Topic's playmaking is not good enough to make up for how much of a defensive liability he'll be, and I genuinely doubt he'd be in Top 10 conversations if his first/last name didn't remind everyone of the Joker. Unless you plan on making Topic the bench PG, it doesn't make sense to draft him over a defensive wing or center, especially with all the rumors/speculation surrounding Poeltl post-presser.

re: Chomche - Sure? If he's the 2nd rounder then I can see him as a potential "develop him in the G League" prospect like the old bench mob that won the G League/as a very raw replacement for Koloko as the backup center on the roster. Emphasis on raw, but I digress.

One of Chomche or Missi seem like they'll be a Raptor come draft night.

re: Salaun: I go back and forth with him as a Pacers pick target. Him and Ware are very different players but they both, in my limited evaluation of them, seem like two of the few high ceiling prospects in this draft but that floor is...rough. Significantly moreso for Tidjane than Ware but again, different players with different roles. We do need a defensive wing at the 3/4 so I am pretty indifferent to whether we'd pick him or not if we do convey our pick this year. If we do, and he needs some reps in the G League instead of throwing him to the Wolves (post-them being moved to the East which feels inevitable with expansion on the horizon) then so be it.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#649 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 am

Salaun at 20 would be a great pick. I doubt he drops that far considering the lack of talent and high potential prospects.

Chomche at 31st is as good as it gets. He would likely get into the lottery if he was a year into his growth. Otherwise I see us going with Missi. There's a clear limitation with Olynyk at the back up 5.
Thaddy
Analyst
And1: 1,862

Post#650 » by Thaddy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 am

We need a 5. KO can't be the primary rim protector unless we get a lengthy 4 that can cover that role. I have a feeling we'll be interested in Chomche and Missi for that reason.
TNRaps4life
Sixth Man
And1: 901

Post#651 » by TNRaps4life » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,738

Post#652 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

TNRaps4life wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Ugonna regret that.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#653 » by RoteSchroder » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 am

Dalek wrote:I think it is nitpicking when you look at a 18 year-old prospect and say his shot is too slow, or he is too upright on defense. Salaun is not going to be Luka Doncic or Paul George, but he can be a very impactful win. He reminds me of what the Wiz do well with: Deni Avdija, Rui Hachimura and most recently Bilal Coulibaly.

Being 6'8 and having a good body and potential for three level scoring is good enough when you are that young. This kid is playing professionally for a while now so I think he will become a special player - kind of a nice player to slot with Barnes playing 3/4 interchangeably.

Him and Pacome Dadiet are going to be around our Pacers pick and both are equally interesting players. I might prefer Salaum because he looks more aggressive and filled out, but these two are so close to each other.

Still gotta be careful with the athletic but raw types too. Too many of them turn out to be busts.

If we look at Precious highlights, he's got everything. A great athlete with potential for 3 level scoring. He's even displayed passing chops and he's a good defender, which massively raises his floor. But he can't quite put it together to be anything more than a hustle role player.

Now imagine Precious, but without the defense and rebounding.

So things like b-ball IQ, feel for the game, footwork, defense all still matter. Shooting is usually on the lower end of concerns (unless you got a terrible form and/or poor FT%) as countless of players have developed their shots after 18. But some of the things you have to determine are things like, will his poor defensive footwork be a huge or minor problem in the NBA? and is it something that is easily fixable?

To me, I would describe Tidjane as a very eager player. Eager to make things happen on both defense and offense, but he doesn't really know how to use his body. If you look at video of him, his feet are always moving, bouncing or shuffling around..but half the time it seems like a ton of wasted/useless movement. It looks awkward and clumsy at times. Not sure if this will be a problem in the NBA, if it needs to be fixed or if it's easily fixable.

Look at this game for example:

There are some good things and bad things, but he looks really far away. If we're comparing him to Bilal, Bilal at least looked more poised and shot 50+% from the floor and already played good D. Tidjane's shooting at 37.7% and has a number of weaknesses that Bilal didn't have.
RoteSchroder
Junior

Post#654 » by RoteSchroder » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:31 am

Big Z not in the 2024 draft guys

Read on Twitter

Will be interesting to see if he improves next year. Hopefully Coach Cal gives him more minutes.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#655 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 am

CazOnReal wrote:I have yet to see someone explain how a backcourt of Topic/IQ isn't going to be a problem for the Raptors already terrible defense.

Like, i'm sorry, beyond stunting IQ's development as a PG (How do you expect him to become a better floor general if he's not the lead PG/secondary playmaker next to Barnes and has to defer to Topic?) Topic's playmaking is not good enough to make up for how much of a defensive liability he'll be, and I genuinely doubt he'd be in Top 10 conversations if his first/last name didn't remind everyone of the Joker. Unless you plan on making Topic the bench PG, it doesn't make sense to draft him over a defensive wing or center, especially with all the rumors/speculation surrounding Poeltl post-presser.

re: Chomche - Sure? If he's the 2nd rounder then I can see him as a potential "develop him in the G League" prospect like the old bench mob that won the G League/as a very raw replacement for Koloko as the backup center on the roster. Emphasis on raw, but I digress.

One of Chomche or Missi seem like they'll be a Raptor come draft night.

re: Salaun: I go back and forth with him as a Pacers pick target. Him and Ware are very different players but they both, in my limited evaluation of them, seem like two of the few high ceiling prospects in this draft but that floor is...rough. Significantly moreso for Tidjane than Ware but again, different players with different roles. We do need a defensive wing at the 3/4 so I am pretty indifferent to whether we'd pick him or not if we do convey our pick this year. If we do, and he needs some reps in the G League instead of throwing him to the Wolves (post-them being moved to the East which feels inevitable with expansion on the horizon) then so be it.

Nikol Jovic has turned out decent like I thought. :nod:

Chomche at #17 and Salaun #31. :nod:
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,641

Post#656 » by Psubs » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 am

RoteSchroder wrote:Big Z not in the 2024 draft guys

Read on Twitter

Will be interesting to see if he improves next year. Hopefully Coach Cal gives him more minutes.

:( Let convey the pick and draft Ivisic next year in the (late?) teens. :D
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,490

Post#657 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:46 am

Read on Twitter
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,500

Post#658 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 am

Psubs wrote:
Nikol Jovic has turned out decent like I thought. :nod:

Chomche at #17 and Salaun #31. :nod:

I like the enthusiasm. Swing high why not. I'd say switch the order though no? Salaun #17 and Chomche#31? Who knows with this draft.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,298

Post#659 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 am

Just to chime in on Chomche & just my 2c on how I'd approach the draft..

Firstly, I don't really fully buy the Bruno comparison although I understand the parallel that's being attempted by maybe how they compare offensively. Offensively, yes Chomche would be very raw like Bruno was BUT that's not UC's ROLE anyways and that's a HUGE separator in how they project and what potential IMPACT they can have on the team. Bruno was brought in with the hopes to be a serious OFFENSIVE player either like Giannis (who he wasn't nearly athletic enough to be) or KD (which he lacked the shot creation ability AND shooting touch lol)...that's not what UC would be brought in to do.

Chomche's strength is his DEFENCE.

While of course there is such thing as having bball IQ defensively and a ton to learn, what stands out about Chomche is how he's instinctually a good rim protector & rebounder. Both are facets of the game that many say is more so a matter of effort & instincts. It looks like UC has some and that's why he's so intriguing because he could end up being a great rim protector if he continues to learn the game more and at least there's a semblance of a jumper there. If we were able to get that out of OG, Norm etc....if they can just get him to hit perimeter shots, you essentially have a Turner or Lopez type of C but he also looks athletic enough to be a threat to roll to the rim for alleyoops which is all but an ideal fit with Scottie.

BUT for me, he's a BACK UP PLAN at 31st pick - HANSEN YANG is the player I would actually take. While every SRP is most likely to bust, Yang's boom potential is unmatched in the 2nd rd (IF he falls there, I'm just putting him there because I don't ever seem him on draft boards and haven't heard of him staying in China but who knows).

My play would be...

TOR - one of Risacher, Buzelis, Holland or at worst Williams
IND - if we kept our pick* one of Collier, McCain or Carter to have a solid backup PG, if we lost it one of Ware or Saluan (if neither then Bub Carrington) but I'd like a player with length to defend & some upside
DET - I stand on Hansen Yang lol, if not Chomche or AJ Storr
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,738

Post#660 » by BoyzNTheHood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am

First round talent, easily.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iDergfyDJveIq9pY2qCCBQ
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.

Return to Toronto Raptors